Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't like the aldehydes in JHL or Cinnabar EdP, should I try Cinnabar Parfum?

So, I have tried giving JHL a couple of wearings - this afternoon I wore it and the same strong whiff of aldehydes that stays throughout the entire development of the scent lingered like it always does.

I remember someone describing the aldehyde (in Cinnabar by Estee Lauder - JHL's female counterpart) as a big, fat, buttery aldehyde. When I read this, it made total sense.

When I was growing up, I used to pop popcorn in a pot with a lid on the stove (before microwave popcorn), and I used to use a popcorn oil that Orville Redenbacher made that had a strong butter flavor. When you popped the raw popcorn kernels in this type of oil, the popped corn yielded a strong, prominent buttery taste. The aldehyde in JHL and Cinnabar smells just like this oil. Rich, glossy and bright hot. It annoys the hell out of my nose and makes wearing JHL or Cinnabar EdP uncomfortable!

So, should I try Cinnabar in the parfum version? Any of you guys have experience with this version of Cinnabar? Of course, it's more expensive, and not necessarily easy to find (I think it only is featured at EL counters during the holiday season) - although I could order a sample from TPC. But I wanted some Basenotes opinions first.

I posted this question a while ago on the Womens Board here, but I didn't get much of a response.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't like the aldehydes in JHL or Cinnabar EdP, should I try Cinnabar Parfum?

I too dislike the aldehyde in Cinnabar. You might want to try the new formulation of JHL: that annoying aldehyde is gone! I think you should really try Youth Dew too. It is very dark and masculine. In fact, the new JHL smells more like Youth Dew for men than Cinnabar.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't like the aldehydes in JHL or Cinnabar EdP, should I try Cinnabar Parfum?

Thank you SirNosebleed. Prompted by you, this morning I am wearing some Youth Dew bath oil, a couple drops of the chest & arms.

I think I smell what you mean, they both have that intense spiciness that I love but there is no aldehydes at all in the YD. It's so strong too...yet the smell of the fragrance in personal space is not intrusive, sharp or annoying - rather there's a lot of breathing room. It's very 'wide angle' if that makes sense.

I think I may have solved my need to own Cinnabar perfume.

Thanks
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac