Code of Conduct

Talking Melbourne Sniff-Together dates for 2013

Following the success of last December's event, Efemmeral and myself have come up with seasonal dates for Sniff-Togethers in 2013 as follows:

• Sunday 3 February
    • Sunday 5 May
    • Sunday 4 August
    • Sunday 3 November

from 11.30am.

The venue is:

Alphabet City Cafe (in the back 'loungeroom')
    100 High Street Northcote

A decent lunch menu and good coffee will be available - most people order a meal, but it's up to you if you want to eat. The atmosphere is casual and fun.

Bring along your current fave bottles or samples for 'show and tell' (optional), plus any frags you'd like to swap or sell (also optional).

All welcome (guys, don't be shy!)

I'll post reminders on this forum about a week before each event.

Cheers
    MsV (Christine)

Default Re: Melbourne Sniff-Together dates for 2013

I'd be interested. I'm only a beginner though.

Wow! Just came across this now. It would be wonderful to attend one of these Sniff-Togethers.

Wheelspinner and Dalbir.Singh - you are both more than welcome! (NB: it's not a 'clique-y' group)

Definitely planning to come. I have a bunch of decants from STC and LS to show off.

Hi folks. For those coming on Sunday, I have a couple of duplicate decants I'm interested in swapping: ELdO The Afternoon of a Faun, and Tauer Lonestar Memories. Happy to bring them along if you're interested.

Yes please!! Bring along anything you'd like to swap or sell.

Sunday will be a hoot.

Efemeral and I are planning a fun sniffing game with a cool prize!

See you (inc. any other Melbourne perfume fans reading this) at Alphabet City from 11.30am.

MsV

I will try to get there.....but no guarantees. Got a busy weekend.
    If anyone sees anything in my wardrobe you'd like to try, let me know and I'll bring it.

John

Great likeness in your avatar John E! Would be lovely if you can make it, if you can, I'd be curious to sniff A Lab On Fire... thanks for offering :-)

It's shaping up to be a great prize MsV9, some lucky sniffer will be very happy :-)

Yay! Would love to come! I will be able to make it for the 3rd i also may have samples/bottles to swap & sell.

Rosecat - look forward to meeting you!

John-e-Buoy - if you are able to come (and I hope you can!), I've been wanting to sniff Mugler's 'Cologne' for ages.

Christine / MsV

It was great to catch up with everyone again, and to meet some new faces.
    I am am glad to see that there are guys that have the fragrance disease worse than me.
    Thanks Christine and Rosemary for organizing the competition.

I had a great time and really enjoyed seeing and sniffing some more unusual fragrances. I worked out that I came dead last in the competition. Must try harder.

Thanks to Christine and Rosemary; looking forward to the Autumn meet-up.

Thanks to everyone who came along today - I had a ball and I hope the game was fun! Rose and I had a great time coming up with the ten scents for you all to guess

Here's a pic of the group (less one member who was taking the shot):

3Feb2013-Sniff-Together.jpg

And here's our Sniffing Game winner 'Fruitful' showing everyone how it's done:

Fruitful.jpg

Rosecat: I was looking forward to meeting you! Hope you can make the next Sniff-Together in May.
    Last edited by msveronica9; 3rd February 2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add more info

Thanks to everyone for coming along and sharing the obsession :-) Great to have non stop fume chat and sniffing with such a fun and passionate group of people.

Az, I loved the colognes you shared, and John E, again a dazzling array of bottles - that Lab on Fire is still keeping on! Wheelspinner, you brought two Guerlains I had no idea existed and both so interesting. Fruitful, I have come home wrapped in an incensey haze thanks to your lovely selection of Tauers. And very pleased that bnusr remembered her Basenotes iD! hopefully we'll have the pleasure online as well as in person, always appreciate the associations you make.

Finally, huge thanks to MsV9 for her generosity in contributing so many of the great scents for the *prize*. We're already inspired with scents for an autumnal version of the game!

It was such a day that the word "Fun" was made to describe. I am now motivated to buy more perfume so I can contribute more to sniffing and discussing I am wearing Kenzo Flower at the moment which was one of the samples in the prize I'm so chuffed to have won! And Knize Ten proved more wonderful as time went on, a surprise favourite.

Not sure I can replicate the lovely commingling of scents I experienced yesterday and that lasted until I went to sleep!

It was great to meet everyone and loved the non stop comments whizzing from one creation to another with such passion! Really enjoyed the game - so much effort and thought has been put into it - thank you!

Looks like it was it great fun! Unfortunately I have been on night-shifts as of late, and thus couldn't attend. Hoping I can come to the one in May and meet some fellow Melbourne fummies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalbir.Singh View Post
    Looks like it was it great fun! Unfortunately I have been on night-shifts as of late, and thus couldn't attend. Hoping I can come to the one in May and meet some fellow Melbourne fummies.
    Just noticed you're in Tat. My sister lives there.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
    Just noticed you're in Tat. My sister lives there.
    What a small world, even smaller considering the size of Tat! haha We're just down one of the roads near the racecourse on a farm, nice and relaxing after spending a few years studying in the city.

Having a brain fade. Can somebody remind me of the vintage fragrance that MsV brought along to the Feb session - Bint something-or-other?

Hi Wheelspinner!

It's called 'Bint el Sudan' (which means 'Daughter of Sudan).

Here are a couple of links with interesting background info:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...ican_chan.html

http://www.perfumeprojects.com/museu...El_Sudan.shtml

Cheers
    MsV

Ladies and Gents, have a great sniff together in a few weeks. Wish I could be there, but I'll be overseas on business.

Looking forward to it, although I may be a bit too much the worse for wear - big party Sat night.

Good luck on the trip.

you'll be missed John E! give my love to *overseas*.

wheelspinner, worse for wear at a sniff-together is a very happy place In My Experience. will be great to see you again!

Glad to see some recent comments have bumped this thread to the top of the list, which means I don't have to create a new thread to remind everyone about the next Sniff-Together, which is happening on Sunday 5 May from 11.30am at Alphabet City Cafe (in the back 'loungeroom') @100 High Street Northcote. If you can't make it in time for lunch, come anyway, as we're usually there 'til well after 4pm.

Efemmeral and I are currently plotting another fun perfume-related game with a cool prize!

Newcomers and newbies are always most welcome.
    XOXMsV

Another great day. Thanks for organising this msv and effemeral.

You are so welcome! Thank you very much for coming and adding a crazy layer of synchronicity to the day. How amazing that your lucky bargain find of ultra-rare Dior Jules would have brought such nostalgic pleasure to our very special guest! I know we were all thrilled to be able to chat with the creative director of a local perfume company, and it was delightful that you could offer him something so meaningful by way of thanks :-)

I know he is keen to continue the conversation with local perfume enthusiasts, so I'm sure there will be more in store for the cognoscenti ;-)

efemmeral

Looks like some data is missing from here.
    Are we still on for this Sunday?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    Are we still on for this Sunday?
    Yes, we're still on for Sunday, folks!

:-) Christine

Yes! We're on. Thanks John E and MsV9!

Also newcomers welcome, please come along if it's your first time, it's a casual and friendly group, and it's a fun afternoon of sharing scents.

You can bring anything you would like to Show Tell Share Swap or Sell, or come and sniff what others bring along.

MsV9 and I have devised a Spring Racing Carnival themed perfumed parlour game with some pretty exciting scents as prizes, so come have a flutter!

And wheelspinner tells us he's bringing the Best Vintage Find Ever! I am super curious about that - he ha already had such amazing luck in the Op-shops and Flea Markets... roll on Sunday!

See you all there: 11.30 onward, this Sunday 3 November, Alphabet City Cafe, 100 High St Northcote.

More details in the original post.

Let me know if anyone wants to try anything from my collection, and I'll try to bring it with me.
    My basenotes wardrobe is not up to date, so check here to see what I have:
    http://www.fragrantica.com/member/34307/

Cheers

John

Thanks, John! There are a few scents in your wardrobe that I'd really appreciate if you'd bring along for sniffing purposes:

Tom Ford - Noir de Noir
    Halston - Man Amber
    Royall - Bay Rhum
    CdG - Wonderwood
    Armani Prive - Rose d'Arabie
    Michel Germain - Sexual Sugar Daddy

Thank you!
    Looking forward to Sunday :-)
    MsV

+1 for getting nose on those :-)

and I'd love also to smell the:
    Tabac Aurea Sonoma Scent Studio
    Prada Vetiver
    Artisan John Varvatos

Thank U John E!

Great to catch up with everyone again. Had fun.
    Thanks to all that brought samples etc.

To those that haven't attended a sniff together before, you must come.

Great to see you too, John!
    Thank you so much for all those fabu-tastic samples (decants, really) you brought along to share with us :-)
    Now please let us know where you got those excellent spray vials from.
    Thanks XOX
    MsV

I bought them from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=...=ebs-77&_sop=3

Good luck!

It was great to see all of you. John, thanks for the fab samples and bringing those bottles. MissV and Efemmeral, thanks for organising the Spring Racing Carnival theme - it was a hoot! It was great catching up with Aaz and Richie as well.

Thanks so much to everyone! Good times! Thanks for the atomiser link John E - they're great! I'll send you a message about one of the decants I nabbed - Awesome!