Code of Conduct
    Banned

Arrow Need a woman's advice for a college kid.

Say you know a guy from work, or school, and you see them a lot or work with them closely. You find him handsome, intelligent, funny, and of course, he always smells fantastic . My question is this;

Would you prefer this man who has caught your eye to smell the same everytime you see him, so that when you smell that fragrance elsewhere, you instantly think of him. That one fragrance is what makes him unique, and when you see him again, you smell that familiar scent which you have only smelled on him.
    OR
    Would you prefer he be wearing a different fragrance everytime you see him, and you can't guess what he will smell like the next time you see him. So what is preferrable; him having a "signature" scent that he wears all the time, to which you familiarize, or to have him keeping you on your toes and not wearing the same fragrance two days in-a-row?

Probably an odd question, but I have always been curious, thanks in advance.

Default Re: Need a woman's advice for a college kid.

I think I would prefer the former. I love to recognise people by their
    personal scents.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I'm not a woman, so my opinion hasn't been asked for, but, still, I would like to stress the fact how strong a link in our brain and memory scent is. It instantly clicks once established in your brain.

Women tend to have stronger olfactory memories than men (so the studies say...) so I'd say the former. I still recognize the fragrances that ex-boyfriends used to wear 15 or 20 years ago, and they're so firmly established I can't stand if my husband wears them.

Unequivocally, the former.

I would prefer this guy to do whichever he likes. If there's a fragrance he loves and wants to wear all the time, I'd want him to wear it all the time. If he wants to wear different scents, I'd want him to wear different scents. I wouldn't want his fragrance choices to be dictated by what he "should" do, but by what he wants to do.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I prefer variety.

I'd say a few in rotation - so there's a sense of familiarity yet diversity as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_cello View Post
    I would prefer this guy to do whichever he likes. If there's a fragrance he loves and wants to wear all the time, I'd want him to wear it all the time. If he wants to wear different scents, I'd want him to wear different scents. I wouldn't want his fragrance choices to be dictated by what he "should" do, but by what he wants to do.
    Well say you dont give a damn about his preferences. Would YOU prefer he same the of the same amazing and unique fragrance every time you are near him, or guessing what he will smell like the next time you are near him? haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I prefer variety.
    Thanks. I love conciseness. Saying everything while saying almost nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sprucemaple View Post
    I'd say a few in rotation - so there's a sense of familiarity yet diversity as well.
    good point, thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jadelotus View Post
    Women tend to have stronger olfactory memories than men (so the studies say...) so I'd say the former. I still recognize the fragrances that ex-boyfriends used to wear 15 or 20 years ago, and they're so firmly established I can't stand if my husband wears them.
    This is true. I think I am still young enough to be able to pull off the super popular frags like acqua di gio, cool water, and le male without too much recognition. It seems like most guys I am around dont wear anything more than axe body spray or cheap stuff like curve or adidas.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I prefer variety.
    A true Basenoter.

I do see the allure of a signature scent, but I haven't been able to do this ever since I purchased a second bottle *gasp* before the first ran out.

I personally prefer variety, but I like the idea of having a few in rotation - familiar but not predictable. Signatures provide a strong scent memory, on the other hand it'd be be more intriguing to smell something different all the time. Go with what your scent personality is, you can't go wrong with that.

Now I have had some time to think about this, I don't know what to think.

I thought about signature scents and the pleasant memories that are connected to fragrances because of the people that wear them regularly. There is a perfume that reminds me of my mom, an ex, and my wife.

On the other hand, I could never limit myself to a signature fragrance. I, like all Basenoters, have many frags that are uncommon to the rest of the world. I have a few favorites I wear more than most, and my wife sees those as my signatures. I guess those closest to me will come to recognize those, but I guess that process will just take longer...

I would not say one way or the other as long as he was bathed and well-groomed.

Don't get too hung up on fragrances as they are not "love potions," but try not to buy the one every young man is wearing, namely of those "best sellers."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.