Code of Conduct

Default Dissection of a rare gem: YSL "Kouros" pour homme, EDT, year 1981 (with pictures)

Ladies and Gentleman!

here's to you a *very* rare "KOUROS" EDT pour homme, 100ml 3.3 oz.,
    by Yves Saint Laurent, Paris, France.
    Year 1981
    (Please note: it's NOT for sale, it was a precious gift, I'm fond of it)

Note how reflective the box is: it seems a mirror despite different colors:

Lateral sides without any lettering (1):

Lateral sides (2):

The bottom side, with a white "check" sticker by Squibb Spa.

The bottom side (the white sticker has historical importance, it's a sort of proof of authenticity, since "Squibb Spa" ended operations in 1989)

The front side in all its glory (NOTE: there is ONLY ONE BLUE TONE. Plus, in following years colors will change; "eau de toilette" lettering will move in the bottom; the word "Paris" will simply disappear)

Lettering in the front side

Lettering in front side (2) ALL LETTERS ARE IN SILVER.
    *IMPORTANT*: note the TWO white bands with THREE silver bands.

Rear side.

The upper side (it's only a "mirror")

opening

The Cap (IMPORTANT: THE YSL LOGO on the cap is CARVED, and NOT embossed)

The YSL Brochure, stored in the side

All pieces

The bottle (splash)

Lettering on the bottle: DARK but reflective.

Lettering: Dark but reflective (2)

Notice the light YELLOW staining, due to >30 years.

The lower side, in heavy and thick metal.

Lower side, mirror-like, with the batch number printed on.

The Cap with CARVED logo (later, bottles will have an embossed logo)

Rear of the bottle

Brochure and presentation of the "new" Kouros line

Brochure (2)

And the parfume?
    Well, it's simply KOUROS, in all its glory.
    Andrč
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 5th January 2013 at 06:07 PM.

Default Re: Dissection of a rare gem: YSL "Kouros" pour homme, EDT, year 1981 (with pictures)

Good for you. Enjoy bro!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dissection of a rare gem: YSL "Kouros" pour homme, EDT, year 1981 (with pictures)

Awesome post. Love the pics and the historical backgrounds you provided.

Oh yeah. You got yourself a treasure there. Enjoy!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Looks just like mine. Great scent.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much for a wonderful presentation of a legend in the fragrance world.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Remember, it is for wearing, not drinking.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Not a fan of the fragrance, but I loved your tribute to it!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Andre for a wonderful post. It brought back many fond memories. I went through many a bottle like that and then some when Kouros was my signature scent years ago. I wore it with a heavy trigger finger (just like I do my current fragrances) and got nothing but compliments even from strangers on the street.
    Eventually, the King got tired of me.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

You are lucky to have the box and brochure as well as the bottle! I just have the vintage bottle and I love it!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Beautiful box, beautiful bottle. Not a fan of the juice, but I'd certainly love it if other companies tried to go with the mythology theme (Greek, Norse, Egyptian especially).

Rare find you got there

Nice one! I have the same (incl. brochure), but 50 ml. Much refined than a current version.
    Wanted: Rochas Macassar

How´s the juice? still good to aply??

Basenotes Member

Congratulations! How do you find it compared to the current formulation? More (any) civet?

Well, if you smell the new version you can still say : "Ok, It's Kouros". But it's a bit weaker and it seems...."diluted".

Keep in mind the old bottle aged for more than 30 years; and I always wonder how much a modern perfume (ie: entirely, or 99% sinthetic) will be able to "age", without natural ingredients.

I wore Kouros on every important date I had from about 1983 to 1990. Women loved it on me.Those were some good years. I know it was reformulated, but does anyone know exactly when?
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

checkcosmetic.net says it was produced 3/12

CologneFan85

I find this to smell bad. But awesome post and does anyone know of YSL changing the logo and name this year? I read about them adding PARIS to the name...

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    checkcosmetic.net says it was produced 3/12
    Yep I have to back it up!
    http://checkcosmetic.net/

Code: 20781 found on your bottle.
    Date of manufacture: 19 of March, 2012

As reported many, many times, checkcosmetic has a very low reliability....

Yves Saint Laurent products have now a batch code similar to this: " "62H12345...." . (2 numbers, then a letter, then numbers)
    During 2001-2004 it was similar to "2234" (4 numbers)
    During 2005-2011 it was similar to "7EBA" ( 1 number, 3 letters)

before year 2000, it was simply a 5-numbers code.

If you want a YSL vintage parfum, simply check a batch code with all-numbers, and no letters

Well done Andre !!
    & welcome to Basenotes ....

There were probably at least 2 reformulations. The last one happened at the end of 2010 (new "enamel" bottle, without metal inserts).

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I wore Kouros on every important date I had from about 1983 to 1990. Women loved it on me.Those were some good years. I know it was reformulated, but does anyone know exactly when?

I think I'm going to start scoping out Ebay for a Kouros with an all numeric batch code. Like I need another thing to waste my time on . . . .
    Current Top Five:

It's easier to look for a box with the TWO white bands and THREE silver ones; it's vintage for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I think I'm going to start scoping out Ebay for a Kouros with an all numeric batch code. Like I need another thing to waste my time on . . . .

Jealous! Fantastic Andre. Brings back some memories

Looks awesome! I have a vintage 200 ml splash bottle, and the batch code is 80200. I imagine your bottle smells fantastic... Mine certainly does.

very very nice and amazing pics! thank you very much...
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Great! Enjoy your treasure.

Great to see such a passionate presentation. Enjoy!

Quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Quick!

If you think you can kill Kouros with something as simple as fire, you're delusional.
    Current Top Five:

Any fool who tries to kill King Kouros with fire will get burnt in a fiery explosion. You've been warned! At least you'd smell better then the usual burnt corpse.

But back to the topic:

The lack of a mention of Eau de Sport (1986) in the leaflet is further indication of an earlier production date.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post

The lack of a mention of Eau de Sport (1986) in the leaflet is further indication of an earlier production date.
    Yes, the leaflet tell about Kouros, the "new" line from YSL.
    Most likely this is one of the first bottles (1981).
    Personally, I *definitely* smell some differences between the year 1981 bottle and a 2005 one.
    (not to mention the modern -after 2010- version, even more different)
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 1st May 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Very nice mr. Andre.

I've got an old(er) 200ml splash that looks identical to the one you posted except the bottle script seems a bit matte, less metallic. Code PA1200... would you be able to place it time-wise?
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Very nice mr. Andre.

I've got an old(er) 200ml splash that looks identical to the one you posted except the bottle script seems a bit matte, less metallic. Code PA1200... would you be able to place it time-wise?
    if it's a splash : before 1998-1999
    if it lacks the "Green dot symbol" on the box: before 1994
    if the batch code is not a 4-numbers code : before 1993

and if the cap has the YSL logo "carved" instead of "embossed"....
    I think your bottle is probably from the Eighties : you lucky guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    if it's a splash : before 1998-1999 CHECK, IT'S A SPLASHif it lacks the "Green dot symbol" on the box: before 1994 CHECK, NO GREEN DOTif the batch code is not a 4-numbers code : before 1993 CHECK, 'PA1200' ON THE BOX 'PA1200 1' ON THE BOTTLE
    and if the cap has the YSL logo "carved" instead of "embossed".... CHECK, DEFINITELY DETAILED 'INTO' AND NOT 'UP FROM'... I think your bottle is probably from the Eighties : you lucky guy!
    Yeah, it is good to be lucky. Thanks for your help!
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

fantastic post! thoroughly enjoyed it.

very nice scent as well.
    Creed: Aventus, Millesime Imperial.
    Tom Ford: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Grey Vetiver.
    Acqua di Parma: Colonia Intensa, Colonia Essenza

True, fire alone might not do the job.

I usually sample scents in my skin. When i first came to a store and asked to a saleswoman to please show me kouros, she was going to spray it on a paper strip. Then i said: "No, i want to try it on my skin." She looked at me with a daring gaze... like: "are you sure?" Well... she did not say a word, but she was right. Fucking crazy was me.

could you tell me about this batch code please ?