Code of Conduct

Default Meditererranean nights

Suggestions for a casual yet elegent fragrance for Mediterranean evenings/nights. I'm thinking relaxing in an open bar watching the sun set on the Italian coast.

I'm thinking citrusy, herbal with a definite Med vibe to it. Not as formal as Acqua di Parma and nothing too expensive (nothing over £1/$1.5 per ml)

Default Re: Meditererranean nights

Acqua Di Parma do a Blu Mediterraneo series of fragrances that are quite reasonably priced. Though linear they all have a non formal mediterranean fun vibe. You may want to check them out in a store and see if one appeals to you.

Armani Eau Pour Homme

Midnight in Paris
    Last edited by sjg3839; 5th January 2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo

Apart from Armani Eau pour Homme, though overtly powerhouse and rather close to the status of projection/longevity beasts in a positive way, Tuscany by Aramis and Creed BDP immediately come to my mind.

Sure, they might seem a bit too mature, heavy and formal for the occasion, but once allowed to settle on skin, they tend to evolve into some of the smoothest, classiest, most complex renditions of Mediterranean notes.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Midnight in Paris
    This

Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    MPG Baime

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Midnight in Paris
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This
    I'm surprised this has been mentioned twice. Although I like MiP a lot, it doesn't really remind me of the med or Italy. And doesn't have a citrusy/herbal vibe to it.

Basenotes Plus

Hugh Parsons Blue. Refined and natural citrus / herbal aquatic with a delightful "gin and tonic" vibe. Would fit the scenario down to a tee IMO.

Heely Sel Marin, a standout marine with lemons and a little cedar. Or if you are loaded, Xerjoff Casamorati Fiero, a really fantastic classical masculine, fresh but rich, elegant, very Italian and very, very, attractive.

Versace Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu
    Boss in motion Black (trust me)
    Bvlgari Aqua
    Kenzo Power
    Kenzo Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    I'm surprised this has been mentioned twice. Although I like MiP a lot, it doesn't really remind me of the med or Italy. And doesn't have a citrusy/herbal vibe to it.
    I thought the same. Do not get any Mediterranean vibe at all from MiP.

Maybe something from Carthusia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Acqua Di Parma do a Blu Mediterraneo series of fragrances that are quite reasonably priced. Though linear they all have a non formal mediterranean fun vibe. You may want to check them out in a store and see if one appeals to you.
    This. I have a sample of Cipresso Toscana and it seems like a great fit for a summer evening on the Med.

Bergamotto Marino from Gianfranco Ferre in my view would be perfect ~ and the great news is you can find it easily and usually very cheaply on the net. You may even find it in a local perfumery when you arrive in Italy.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Aqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Heeley Sel Marin
    Dior Dune
    Hermes Voyage EDP

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Bergamotto Marino from Gianfranco Ferre in my view would be perfect ~ and the great news is you can find it easily and usually very cheaply on the net. You may even find it in a local perfumery when you arrive in Italy.
    Ack! Sorreeee. I got carried away with imagining a lovely night in the med and suggested two expensive ones, although the Heeley just about meets your spec!

Bergamotto Marino is a fantastic alternative.

ps......there is actually a fragrance from Jacques Bogart called Mediterranean Nights, but I believe it is quite heavy, spicy and sweet.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ps......there is actually a fragrance from Jacques Bogart called Mediterranean Nights, but I believe it is quite heavy, spicy and sweet.
    And as far as Mediterranean-name-related fragrances go, there is also Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée, although it is more figgy and woody than citrusy and herbal. But I think it could fit the casual and elegant vibe you are looking for.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme screams Mediterranean to me

...try Gai Mattiolo Uomo (Alberto Morillas): fresh, soft spicy and unique, and available for a steal...!

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Ack! Sorreeee. I got carried away with imagining a lovely night in the med and suggested two expensive ones, although the Heeley just about meets your spec!

Bergamotto Marino is a fantastic alternative.
    Ha, don't worry. If I could afford Xerjoff, I'd probably already have a holiday villa in Tuscany :-)

Just checked out the reviews for Bergamotto Marino and it got nothing but great reviews, and at just £14 for 50ml, well worth a blind buy.

Speaking of Tuscany, if you can get hold of it, try Santa Maria Novella Acqua Di Sicilia, a Cologne, a very cool straight up citrus with a bit o' cypress I think.

And as mentioned above, another Italian line, Carthusia. Mediterraneo is great, green tea and citrus. Very holiday-ish.

And speaking of fig, I would think Diptyque Philokylos would be nice as well.

Carthusia Uomo
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Chanel Allure Edition Blanche, and I second Dior Dune.

Chanel Platinum Egoiste would fit the bill.

I could imagine this playing well with the setting if applied lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Ha, don't worry. If I could afford Xerjoff, I'd probably already have a holiday villa in Tuscany :-)

Just checked out the reviews for Bergamotto Marino and it got nothing but great reviews, and at just £14 for 50ml, well worth a blind buy.
    You don't want to do anything with Italian or French property for that matter, also Spain springs to mind for dead investments.

Snarky is as snarky does.

Trussardi Uomo.

Trussardi Uomo.

By ruling out AdP you've ruled out my number one choice!

I have a strong associated with summer of the suggestion that I am about to make. It may work for you and not everyone, but try Azzaro PH. Also another mediocre cheapy is Cerutti 1881.