Code of Conduct

Default Question about seasons and fragrances

I am new to fragrances and I've read that the season when you wear it matters. But the thing is I live in SoCal. Would it apply to me wearing a supposedly summer fragrance like Acqua di Gio in the winter season? I mean the coldest it gets here is probably low 60s. and thats pretty rare. And should I buy Acqua di Gio since everyone says its safe? I can get a discount on it because I work at Giorgio Armani.

Can you guys give me reccomendations for a high school senior. (plays football, runs track, and takes AP classes, if any of this info helps?)

Edit: I have Kenneth Cole Vintage Black and I've gotten a couple compliments, which is why I wanted to get involved with fragrances

Default Re: Question about seasons and fragrances

You can wear whatever you like whenever.
    But typically certain notes and fragrances remind us of certain seasons.
    examples:
    Winter: Burberry London
    Summer: AdG

Since in SoCal things never get that cold, you might think you don't need or want a winter frag. Well, that works if you are wearing frags based on what the weather is like (since frags certainly do wear differently in different temps/ humidity,) or you can wear a frag because you want to impart a feeling from it.
    You might want to wear a "winter" frag in the hottest part of July because you want feel comfy and smell sweet that day.

It doesn't matter as much as some people would have you believe. You could wear heavier scents in SoCal in the winter evenings, as long as you didn't spray too much. Summer fragrances will also work fine in Cali winter.

a few to try:

Acqua di Gio is a good one. Smells nice
    Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren
    CK One summer edition (they bring out a different one each summer)
    Guerlain Homme - For a little bit more cash than the others above (but not much), this is something a bit different which will make you stand out from the crowd. A well made fragrance with a nice lime/mojito vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    You can wear whatever you like whenever.
    This

Thanks guys! Btw is ADG a safe choice or is it too used? Do you guys think high school kids use it alot? I feel like I dont want my first investment to be a risk since my nose isnt as developed as you guys. what do you guys think?

Edit: So i was looking up safe buys and i got
    AdG
    Le Male
    1 million

Opinions on these?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This
    This

I think people match seasons because 1) whatever they're wearing reminds them of that season (example: something crisp and fresh might = spring/summer, but something spicy might = fall/winter). 2) Some frags perform better in warm or cold weather.

That being said, regardless of the season, frags will perform differently for each person. Just keep playing with samples until you find the ones that work for you. I don't see anything wrong with playing it "safe" when you start. That's what most people did/do. Make sure you check out the Chanel line as well...they have some good "safe" scents (Bleu de Chanel is a popular-discussed frag here).

I'll add this, take it for what you will: When I was first looking at getting into this fun a few months ago, I told everyone at every counter I went to that I taught eighth graders, and I was looking for a scent that would smell like a "man" and not like every other teenager out there. I'm not joking--every single person's first response was, "Well, then you want to stay away from anything by Armani." A few of them went on to say that most of the high school/college kids that came in bought something from Armani. Obviously, there are plenty of Armani fans here...most of them are frag-vets for many decades...I'm not saying anything against Armani, I'm just repeating what was said to me. They then directed me to the Chanel and Mont Blanc lines.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Overcome By Fumes

Seasons don't matter, especially when you live in a place where the weather is mostly the same all year round.

The three "safe" fragrances you selected are trite and boring.

Consider something different, like Dior Fahrenheit 32. Or Guerlain L'Instant.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Those who says all fragrances are wearable regardless of season are totally wrong.

I once wore Kouros, layered with Gorgio Beverly Hills for men, on a hot crowded 90 degree bus last summer.

Go give Bleu de Chanel a sniff my friend. It's a good all-arounder.

Quote Originally Posted by crispyjuicy View Post
    Thanks guys! Btw is ADG a safe choice or is it too used? Do you guys think high school kids use it alot? I feel like I dont want my first investment to be a risk since my nose isnt as developed as you guys. what do you guys think?

AdG
    Le Male
    1 million

Opinions on these?
    People may say AdG is common, but I haven't smelled it on anybody in quite awhile. It is a damn good aquatic. You will probably run into A&F Fierce more than anything.
    I would try Le Male before you buy it, it is pretty polarizing.
    1 Million is pretty safe. Hard to find people that don't like this one.

+1 Bleu de Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Go give Bleu de Chanel a sniff my friend. It's a good all-arounder.
    I second this. Bleu is a good all around, multi season fragrance. Especially where the seasons don't go to extremes. Since you work at Armani also try Mania and Code. I like them both but just don't get around to wearing them much any more.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by crispyjuicy View Post

AdG
    Le Male
    1 million

Opinions on these?
    AdG is popular, but it's popular for a reason: It smells nice. Good for warm weather.
    Le Male. Popular with females, but go easy on the sprays especially in hot weather
    1 million. Probably the top seller at the moment. A good choice for someone your age to go clubbing with. Again, go easy with the sprays on hot days.

Basically, go to the mall and smell them on paper strips first. The two or three you like the most, spray a bit on your arm and if you still like it after an hour or so then go for it. Try all those which have been suggested if you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Those who says all fragrances are wearable regardless of season are totally wrong.

I once wore Kouros, layered with Gorgio Beverly Hills for men, on a hot crowded 90 degree bus last summer.
    And Lancome Sikkim turns to vinegar on me if it's warmer than 50F outside. But I still agree with other posters - there is no rule that certain fragrances are only to be worn in certain seasons. Try what you like and see what works for you.

1 million, D&G and Armani Code. Le male is popular but I don't find at as safe as the others due the lavender note.