Code of Conduct

Default Hidden Gems in plain sight? Store brands worth seeking out

What store scents are worth seeking out? I'm talking about scents where you have to go to the actual brand's store to smell it. Stuff like Abercrombie's Fierce, Banana Republic's Black Walnut, Michael Kors 'Michael', Scotch & Soda's Barfly, and the Coach trio of Leatherwear scents. I'm not talking about designers or niche that are also found at Macy's/Nordstrom/Etc.

The thought behind the thread: When a Michael Kors store opened where I live, I dropped by to test Michael. I was surprised and impressed. I think Michael is as good if not better than most of the designer scents at Macy's and Sephora. On the other hand, Scotch & Soda's Barfly is trash. It smells like a design-by-comittee scent.

...any Black Walnut fans out there?

...Coach Leatherwear 1, 2 or 3?

...something else?
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 15th April 2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: I tried to explain it better.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: Hidden Gems in plain sight? Store brands worth seeking out

Heard great things about a couple of Marks and Spencer scents, but since they are only in the UK there is no hope for us. Also a few Zara's scents are supposed to be pretty good. Never tried Black Walnut, but wasn't impressed with Classic from BR. I will say I was very pleasantly surprised by Hollister SoCal, very good and unique frag IMO.(even if it is a bit pricey)

I will add...a couple of the Rue21 cheapies aren't bad at all for less than a Hamilton
    Last edited by bigbz; 15th April 2014 at 08:55 PM.

Oh yeah, I did try the Coach line of scents also....really liked one, but wasn't sure which one it was as the bottles all look so similiar.

IMO L'Occitane store offerings are worth seeking out. Many of the ones mentioned above, for me - not.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

You First by David Mayer Norman.

Oh well, I wouldn't exactly describe it as an hidden gem but it's pretty decent if one is fine with synth stuff. A post-Terre spicy leathery woody vetiver with incredibly sharp edges. Penetrating and quite strong…a bit too much for my nose but still somewhat decent when compared to other Store Brands fragrances.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO L'Occitane store offerings are worth seeking out. Many of the ones mentioned above, for me - not.
    I love that store, and they have an outlet store version close to me that usually has a few of their fragrances for 50% off -- making a $75 EdC $35 -- well worth it, even if used for room fragrance!
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

I would think of Michael Kors as a designer label, not a store brand really. That would make Ralph Lauren a store brand too, since they have stores as well, but in essence, they are all designer.

I would consider places like Bath/Body Works, L'Occitane, etc as "store brands".
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I think that Brooks Brothers has done a great job of producing great scents in line with their brand promise and at a great price!

+1 L'Occitane
    +1 Banana Republic

As far as designer fragrances, I'm a fan of the Kenneth Cole fragrances (Black, Signature, and Reaction). I think they are nice, affordable, and have good performance for the price. I'm also a big fan of good old Cool Water and Joop! flankers.

That brings to my memory this Zara scent that for some odd reasons I quite liked - some 14 years ago:

I remember it was a bit cloying but really dense, musky, green & woody.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Knize - Knize Ten Golden Edition
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme I (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

In addition to the great suggestions above, most fragrances by L'Erbolario and Yardley, indeed also some of the fragrances by Zara. Furthermore: Pierre Cardin Cedre Ambre and Iris Sauvage, some of the fragrances by Antonio Puig, as well as the wonderful 80s powerhouse fougere Caractere by Daniel Hechter- the latter smelling much costlier, more elegant and distinguished than the actual price, surprisingly long lasting and with a smooth interpretation of leathery notes, while Preferred Stock also resembles the has similar performances at comparable prices.

Pretty much all of these are in plain sight, since they are reasonably affordable, quite abundantly and readily available.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 15th April 2014 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I would think of Michael Kors as a designer label, not a store brand really. That would make Ralph Lauren a store brand too, since they have stores as well, but in essence, they are all designer.
    Totally agreed. Ralph Lauren is at Macy's as well as Ralph Lauren stores, but Michael Kors Michael seems to only be at Michael Kors stores (excluding online discounters, of course). That's more of what I'm asking here. Kenneth Cole is another that's easily found at places outside of Kenneth Cole stores. Banana Republic scents are only at Banana Republic (excluding online discounters, I mean).

I'm asking about the stuff you have to go to their own store to smell.

You're right about terminology though. Is there a term for stuff like Banana Republic Black Walnut? Is it just designer? ...something else?

Body Shop Activist. A very nice fragrance indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Totally agreed. Ralph Lauren is at Macy's as well as Ralph Lauren stores, but Michael Kors Michael seems to only be at Michael Kors stores (excluding online discounters, of course). That's more of what I'm asking here. Kenneth Cole is another that's easily found at places outside of Kenneth Cole stores. Banana Republic scents are only at Banana Republic (excluding online discounters, I mean).

I'm asking about the stuff you have to go to their own store to smell.

You're right about terminology though. Is there a term for stuff like Banana Republic Black Walnut? Is it just designer? ...something else?
    Ah, I see what you're saying! I have seen Michael Kors though being sold at Kohl's which is a department store.

I dunno what to call fragrances from Banana Republic, A&F, Gap, Hollister, Aeropostale, etc.. I'm sure there's a precise term.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Plus

Barney's "Route du The" is an interesting and affordable fragrance to me...

Since Coach was mentioned in this thread, and since I never hear it talked about, does anyone else own Coach for Men? Any thoughts on it? Not sure if it's still produced, as it didn't seem to sell that well in my area.

Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

So many, for instance Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli.

Tiffany has some very respectable offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Is Romeo Gigli a store in Italy? I bet you folks have all sorts of neat stuff over there.

I sampled Greg Lauren for Barney's a couple of weeks ago. It needs a couple more wearings before I can develop a solid opinion on it, but my first impressions were positive.

Blog Entries

The term you're looking for, which I picked up from Mike Perez, is mall frags!

And YES - Black Walnut was one of my faves. I wore it for quite a while as my go-to office scent.

BR has some feminines that are comtemporary with Black Walnut, that are pretty nice. Malachite and Cordovan are OK, too, but Black Walnut was the best of the bunch, IMO. Their new Wildblue is pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of the new "Noir" flanker of it.

Eddie Bauer had a fragrance that I almost bought, that was pretty decent. Ruehl no. 925 fragrance (Abercrombie spin-off) was supposed to be pretty good - I sniffed it, and it was OK, but I didn't jump for the buy.

Some of the women's stores have decent store frags. I sniff them while my wife is shopping. Ann Taylor and one of the others has decent stuff.

I thought that the Coach trio were interesting, but they just didn't ring my bell. However, I have a bottle of the earlier Coach Leatherware (or For Men, depending upon who you ask), which CT3 mentions upthread. That one was considered a disappointment around here when it was released - in part because it was not very leathery. Well - very cool to report - my bottle just gets better and better with age, and the leather is much more apparent. Now it comes off as a leathery version of something like Pour Monsieur. Still slightly flawed, but much better than when I first bought it. Glad I own it.

Tiffany has a bunch of great scents, but I almost consider those to be exclusive designer, or maybe "jeweler frags" as a subdivision of designer (like Mauboussin, Cartier, and JAR).

I smelled some stuff in GAP that seemed almost like Zara's scents, which are "disposable good scents", so to speak. They're clearly quality, slightly memorable but not too much, and priced to sell. I do have Zara's 9.58 Sprint or whatever it's called - the scent that's 30% of Aventus. I personally like Zara's clothing and accessories, and their frags are similar in quality - surprisingly good for the price. As Zara's stores are in the same shopping neighborhoods as the high-end designers in major cities, they are really at the border between mall and designer, perhaps just a bit more designer than BR.

Now that Darvant mentioned Romeo Gigli that made me remember an obscure, stunning powerhouse by RoccoBarocco (I still remember it had the smell of my grandmother's flat - a small, dusty and a bit dirty flat in the suburbs). I bought it at a local open air market for pennies in the '90s, it had that powdery, almost chypre decadent feel of many old fougères. I'll look for it as I have a good "souvenir" about it. This:

My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Knize - Knize Ten Golden Edition
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme I (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Any comments from UK Basenoters? Only reasonable ones I can think of are clones of better known fragrances.

For example Next do a Spicebomb clone, Noir, which is very very close to the original to my nose, but for around £12 for 100ml. Marks and Spencer sell a range by Montheme and their leather fragrance is a very good clone of Tuscan Leather.

Anything else worth trying?

why spend 20 $ when you can splurge 500 $ ????
    "...... The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men cannot put it back together again....."

Quote Originally Posted by tefg View Post
    Any comments from UK Basenoters? Only reasonable ones I can think of are clones of better known fragrances.

For example Next do a Spicebomb clone, Noir, which is very very close to the original to my nose, but for around £12 for 100ml. Marks and Spencer sell a range by Montheme and their leather fragrance is a very good clone of Tuscan Leather.

Check out 'Le Sauvage' by Lynn Harris for M&S, which I think is the best of their range (Le Noir isn't bad either). Both currently £12.50 for 50ml.

Also, Yardley Citrus and Wood is a decent knock-off of Terre d'Hermes, for between £9 and £12 a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by tefg View Post

Woods of Windsor, if you like that sort of thing.

Does M&S have testers for these frags?

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Woods of Windsor, if you like that sort of thing.

Does M&S have testers for these frags?

Larger stores do. I tried the leather one on my skin, whilst carrying a card with Tuscan Leather on, and the difference was very small, though I had tried a few others that day and one of the other monotheme ones (a dark rose) was overpoweringly strong.

My comments form previously are below.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...-Oud-Black-Oud

Check out some Zara scents

You mentioned in your review of Le Noir that you think it is going to be the most popular of the three Lyn Harris frags marketed at men. But I tried them all out at the enormous M&S on the outskirts of Camberley, and they told me Le Sauvage outsold the other 2 combined.

That branch of M&S doesn't just have a few bottles on a shelf, they have a whole perfume and cosmetics department. They have a lot of the Comptoir Sud Pacifique range there too.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    You mentioned in your review of Le Noir that you think it is going to be the most popular of the three Lyn Harris frags marketed at men. But I tried them all out at the enormous M&S on the outskirts of Camberley, and they told me Le Sauvage outsold the other 2 combined.
    Le Noir has the popular amber and vanilla notes and more immediate 'showroom' appeal so I'm a little surprised (but pleased) that Le Sauvage may be outselling it. Le Noir could have easily been marketed as a feminine, nothing particularly masculine about it IMO.

Curiosity piqued, I did a bit of 'research', using the InterNet, on Miller Harris' M&S sales and came across a Telegraph article suggesting Le Noir is indeed the best-seller:

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-...Christmas.html

...although it may have been overtaken since that was written.

Any road up, I see Le Noir as more a cool-weather fragrance. I'm wearing Le Sauvage today and it's very nice (if you like grapefruit and coriander).

On the subject of M&S, I tried Nero and Nero Intense recently. The former was a Boss Bottled clone and the latter a vanilla bomb. Both OK but nothing to get excited about.

+ 1
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    I loved that stuff when it came out, wore it for years. Finally, last weekend I found a bottle of it in a perfume shop, but it has lost most all of the top notes, they let me sample it and put some on. After the initial drydown, it started to smell like I remember, but I didn't buy it. Maybe I should have bought it anyhow....

Laura Biagotti Roma Uomo is another that I love and can be found easily for $30-$40 for a 3.3 oz bottle....

L'Occitine (though they keep discontinuing their best ones) and Marks and Spencers who have some very cheap alternatives to some best sellers. Neo Intense for example I find to be an excellent Sandalwood/cedar/vanilla fragrance, I guess similar to Santal Imperial? Not my cup of tea most of the time, but smells much better than the $10 I paid for the 30ml bottle.

Banana Republic Black Walnut is an excellent non-offensive yet not so boring, at least throughout the opening and middle notes. Then it dries down to something very boring and synthetic. I am yet to find a longer lasting alternative to it. Every other woodsy tobacco fragrance I have tried is too synethic, too heavy, too boring or too sweet.

I am yet to try anything Zara but maybe I should.

I thought all of the M&S fragrances were clones. I remember one smelling just like Prada's Infusion d'Iris a while back.

Also, in the UK, I found Bulgari Black to be a store scent - the only place I could find a real live bottle was in the Bulgari boutique on Sloane Street.

And I'm not sure if it fits the OP's criteria, but the Angela Flanders perfumes are worth smelling, and only available at her shop and her daughter's shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Banana Republic Black Walnut is an excellent non-offensive yet not so boring, at least throughout the opening and middle notes. Then it dries down to something very boring and synthetic. I am yet to find a longer lasting alternative to it. Every other woodsy tobacco fragrance I have tried is too synethic, too heavy, too boring or too sweet.

I am yet to try anything Zara but maybe I should.
    If there was a Zara near me, I'd try theirs, even if just for the heck of it.

The funny thing about Banana Republic is that I'm probably going to end up with a bottle of something from there. I've had a Banana card for ages (it's a credit card, actually), and they keep sending me emails saying "Use our card outside of our store 3 times this month and we'll give you $20 to spend at Banana." Easy enough, and it's free money since I immediately pay off the card (in other words, no interest because I don't carry a balance). Well, I've built up a bunch of rewards that are going to expire, so I have to do something with them. Use 'em or lose 'em. I currently have $70 to spend at BR, and I can't think of anything else at that store I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    And I'm not sure if it fits the OP's criteria, but the Angela Flanders perfumes are worth smelling, and only available at her shop and her daughter's shop.
    Sure! My thinking is really just that we probably overlook some great scents because they're only sold at stores we don't go to for fragrances. I own shirts from Express, but I never thought to try their fragrances. I assumed store scents are garbage - but Express Reserve sure has some enthusiastic fans, so it's probably worth checking out. I'm just wondering what else is out there, only at stores we don't think of for fragrances, that many of us probably overlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I found Bulgari Black to be a store scent - the only place I could find a real live bottle was in the Bulgari boutique on Sloane Street.
    Interesting! I didn't know Bvlgari had stores. I only know Bvlgari from their scents at Nordstrom and Sephora. Bvlgari Black is such a neat scent.

+1 L'Occitane
    +1 Brooks Brothers

At the high end of "store scents" is Charvet's Cuvee Speciale--only available at Charvet stores and boutiques, great smelling, expensive (as you would expect) and great champagne bottle packaging along the line's of Caron's Bain. Back in the day, Hackett's in London used to have a great house scent--back when they had a barber shop in the King's Road. They then liscenced their name to some Boots products and now sell Murdock fragrances in their shops. Have only tried the earliest one and it was great.

Just thought of another--Orvis used to have a wonderful men's frag--a chypre of real distinction, in a round bottle that came in a cylindrical box covered in faux croc. Great stuff! Now, they have one--also good--called 1856 which is a sandalwoody/bergamot affair. J. Peterman's 1903 comes to mind as well, although that would have to be an online store, not bricks and mortar.

Blog Entries

Interesting! I didn't know Bvlgari had stores. I only know Bvlgari from their scents at Nordstrom and Sephora. Bvlgari Black is such a neat scent.
    Bvlgari actually does some really amazing window-dressing on their stores during the holiday season. It's typically artful, highly imaginative, and can involve the whole frigging front of the building. I find myself taking pictures of Bvlgari stores almost every time I see one. Just missed a great picture the last time I passed one. Here is one I saw:

I tested Banana Republic's Slate today, and it's... interesting. Once sprayed, it seems to become two entirely different scents. In the air, it wafts as a very nice cool fresh scent that isn't particularly masculine, though it's easily wearable by a man. I like it. I might even love it. But if I smell my skin where sprayed, there's a warm melted plastic sort of scent. And that's a yuck. Bummer! Ironically enough, a few hours after I posted this thread, I got another email from Banana saying they'd added $20 more in rewards to my account. It's sad when you can get a free bottle but can't find a bottle worth owning. Black Walnut and Republic Of Men piqued my curiosity too, so I'll have to try those next.

Blog Entries

I tested Banana Republic's Slate today, and it's... interesting. Once sprayed, it seems to become two entirely different scents. In the air, it wafts as a very nice cool fresh scent that isn't particularly masculine, though it's easily wearable by a man. I like it. I might even love it. But if I smell my skin where sprayed, there's a warm melted plastic sort of scent. And that's a yuck. Bummer! Ironically enough, a few hours after I posted this thread, I got another email from Banana saying they'd added $20 more in rewards to my account. It's sad when you can get a free bottle but can't find a bottle worth owning. Black Walnut and Republic Of Men piqued my curiosity too, so I'll have to try those next.
    I felt like Republic of Men was a slightly candified version of Black Walnut. BW is something I always want to have, but I rarely wear it anymore. I'm sure that someday I'll go on a kick with it, and wear it for a week or so. I do love to sniff the bottle when I'm in that drawer!

Sure! My thinking is really just that we probably overlook some great scents because they're only sold at stores we don't go to for fragrances. I own shirts from Express, but I never thought to try their fragrances. I assumed store scents are garbage - but Express Reserve sure has some enthusiastic fans, so it's probably worth checking out. I'm just wondering what else is out there, only at stores we don't think of for fragrances, that many of us probably overlook.
    Both Express Reserve (a great oriental) and Express Honor (a minty aquatic) are great fragrances. They have a third one now called Express Loyalty that's also good.

Another one that needs to be mentioned: Aeropostale Benton. A kinder, gentler A*Men at (true to Aero) a bargain-basement price. Give it a sniff even if the name means "low-cost high school clothes" to you.

Coach Leatherwear is now restricted to Coach boutiques, but as others here have mentioned, it's a great leather chypre.

Let's not forget Lush and their Gorilla Perfume line. For example, Breath of God is inexpensive, but can do battle with niche scents.

And a +1 on Banana Republic, The Body Shop, Gap, L'Occitane, and Bath & Body Works frags. For the last one, their men's scents always come in shower gels and body lotions that often pair well with existing frags in your collection.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 17th April 2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

The original version of Tommy Bahama For Men is pretty good. If you're interested, buy now. It's becoming hard to find, and pricier too.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 19th April 2014 at 12:24 AM.

CK One Summer Edition....all of them!
    Gym scent of week: A*Men Pure Havane

My gym hates me

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Juicy Couture Dirty English seems to be a love it or hate it frag. I happen to love it.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Kiehl's has Vanilla & Cedarwood, Fig Leaf & Sage, and Original Musk, which are pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Arij; 19th April 2014 at 07:23 PM.