Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default the montale house

ive heard of this house, but i don't know much about it.

whats the overall artistic approach of this house and what do their fragrances often have in common.

also, what are the most popular ones they sell, and which ones are the best in your opinion

Default Re: the montale house

They are an oud house. Different takes on oud for the most part. As for the scents that dont have "oud" in its name, i havent smelled those so i couldnt tell you about those.

Exactly, as pointed by fragnifiscent, oud is the note by Montale is known. It's not a natural oud however, but an artificial and extremely concentrated one. From this house, I believe the best I know are Red Aoud (a gourmand oud), Black Aoud (extremely medicinal our entrance and later a full, dark rose), White Aoud (a relatively subdued oud entrance if compared to BA and then a rich, white, almost edible rose). There are also Red Vetiver, which is known by many here as an improved version of Terre d'Hermes, Full Incense, a stronger version of Avignon (Comme des Garçons), Cuir d'Arabie (I don't know this one yet but it seems to be a full blast of strong chemical leather, like Cuir Mauresque from SL), and many, many others. Virtually all perfumes from Montale have excellent projection and fix.

Good info!

Don't forget Dark Aoud, a somewhat harsh blend of aoud and sandlewood for the most part. Deep and delicious and decidedly manly. Perhaps my favorite from the house along with Black Aoud.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Too many good ones to name. Just about 6 shy of the entire line. One of my favorite houses.

Good stuff, but definitely not for everyone. If I had to sum them up in one word it would be "powerful".

A very diverse collection.
    I'm not a big fan.
    Oud quality is average.

for swap/sale:

I've tried White Aoud, Black Aoud, and Blue Amber. The only one of those that I liked was Black Aoud, but I can't deal with the big metallic musk in the base. Montales tend to be huge projection bombs, if that's your thing.

A divisive house; I personally love their LOUD Arabian-style oud scents, mainly containing oud, rose, woods, patch, musk and saffron.

Do you think a single perfumer can create over a hundred scents in 5-6 years? It's a matter that a perfume-lover shouldn't remain indifferent!!!

I've tried dozens of Montale perfumes and owned several bottles up to date and nearly all of them have a chemical vibe and oily juices like fake perfumes.

There's no evidence that proves a person named Pierre Montale exists besides a statement that a new brand uses;

"The brand Mancera was created in 2008 in the Arabian Gulf. It was initiated by the distributor "Al Hthar", who previously specialized in establishing classical, big brand perfumes in the Gulf region. Based on extensive experience the owner of "Al Hthar" asked a group of designers and perfumers, including Pierre Montale who is world famous for his Montale collection, to create a large-Artistic perfume brand."

Guess who is the real owner of the brand Mancera!!! Similar logo, same type scents and same oily juices sounds like a coincidence, huh??? In addition, they asked Pierre Montale's opinions as a consultant. I wonder how did they get in touch with him...

Don't tell me no one haven't realized the similarity between Terre d'Hermes - Red Vetyver, Aoud Musk - Nasomatto Duro, Full Incense - CdG Avignon or Aoud Lether - Tuscan Leather yet. Also try Mancera Cedrat Boise and Creed Aventus before making the final decision

Please do not compare real perfume houses to brands who employs chemists instead of real perfumers.

Montale is something you will appreciate if you like "loud" fragrances. Most of their "Aouds" are characterized by a harsh-thick and extremely tenacious synthetic woody note in the base. Most of their scents are unremarkable (both quality-wise and composition-wise) but, with that said, there are still a bunch that are well worth checkibng out.

Among their "Aouds", my personal standouts are Aoud Cuir D'Arabie and Dark Aoud with honorable mention to both Aoud Lime and Aoud Musk.

Among their "regular" line, the only one I truly enjoyed, yet not enought to commit to a full bottle, was Greyland. Patchouli Leaves is also quite nice but IMO, there are muhc better patchoulis out there...

My two cents.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Honestly a very bloated line. With so few "gems" you have to be careful. Many are just a variation of a theme, most notably their aouds. A positive is their tenacity, honestly one of the few lines that will last and last on my skin. I enjoyed Red Aoud the most, followed by Dark Aoud. I wasn't impressed by much else.

Montale = your neighbour's stereo on 120% volume. Tell the town what you are wearing today and honestly nothing gets better than Black Aoud. Can't compare quality of Aoud as not experienced enough. Also check out Sweet Oriental Dream and Full Incense.

I also own Aoud Cuir d'Arabie but haven't had a chance to wear it yet.
    Last edited by bgoc; 6th January 2013 at 08:39 PM.

I have a handful of Montale fragrances in my collection, however, aside from their aoud line (with many redundant/similar smelling releases) which is somehow unique, their regular line is not on par with other niche houses in term of both creativity and quality

After sampling 11 Montale fragrances I would say that:

1. Most of them are super strong
    2. Mosf of them last easy 12-48 hours on skin
    3. Most of them are not very complex
    4. I wouldnt wear most of them on daily basis
    5. One big bottle will last you forever
    6. They make small variations on same theme so if you take 10 random Montale fragrances there is high chance that they may smell somewhat similiar. If you take 10 random fragrances from for example L Artisan Parfumeur you will have 10 different fragrances with 10 different personalities.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Definately a house to pick a few from, detractors aside. I for one wish Montale still shipped to the US. Still want one more in haute concentration.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Sound Scents

Lots of loud synthetic Oud fragrances as others have stated, not many I enjoy... I do like Black Aoud, but not enough to buy a bottle.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Definately a house to pick a few from, detractors aside. I for one wish Montale still shipped to the US. Still want one more in haute concentration.
    Happy to forward to you AT COST if you let me keep the freebie. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Happy to forward to you AT COST if you let me keep the freebie. lol
    There is no freebie if you choose extra concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    There is no freebie if you choose extra concentration.
    I last ordered a few months ago and requested HAUTE concentration (I don't know they sent it normal or HAUTE Conc) but had my freebies anyhow.

Apart from their bottles I'm rather fond of Montale. The diversity of their range is largely irrelevant. Sample packs are readily available for next to nothing so if you're interested in them buy one and see what you like. As far as diversity is concerned, generally speaking, if you choose only scents with common ingrediants and themes it stands to reason you'll find numerous simmilar scents. If l'Artisan had a dozen or more oud and rose scents I imagine you could say the same for them.

My personal favourite Montale's are Sandflowers and Louban, but there are many others worth checking out. They make things other than Oud fragrances, some of them are very good. Don't take my word for it though.

http://www.europerfumes.com/7-vial-sampler-1/ < too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I last ordered a few months ago and requested HAUTE concentration (I don't know they sent it normal or HAUTE Conc) but had my freebies anyhow.
    Hmm...I was under the impression that you had the option of choosing haute concentration, or a free 20ml mini bottle, not both. Perhaps that has changed.

Hmm...I was under the impression that you had the option of choosing haute concentration, or a free 20ml mini bottle, not both. Perhaps that has changed.
    About a year and a half ago I called Paris and got both haute concentration and a free 20ml. But now they will not ship to the US. I think they only ship inside the EU. Whatever...no shipping to the US. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    They are an oud house. Different takes on oud for the most part. As for the scents that dont have "oud" in its name, i havent smelled those so i couldnt tell you about those.
    I think I prefer their non aoud offerings, as I don't love oud that much... anyway, Dark, Red, Black, Taj and White are masterpieces in my opinion. Aoud Lime and Aoud Musk are good too.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    About a year and a half ago I called Paris and got both haute concentration and a free 20ml. But now they will not ship to the US. I think they only ship inside the EU. Whatever...no shipping to the US. Correct me if I am wrong.
    I see. Then perhaps you should take bgoc up on his offer.

I see. Then perhaps you should take bgoc up on his offer.
    Always happy to help where I can. I have a similar thread going http://www.basenotes.net/threads/320...man-Basenoters

Perhaps we could all start something similar since a lot of Niche houses/department stores are either refusing to ship at all or want HUGE amount of shipping costs.

Yes, a very LOUD and powerful fragrance.

I'm currently wearing Red Aoud, which I have a sample of, and I sprayed 4 tiny sprays (both wrists and inner elbows) and it's more than enough, I'm at the edge of suffocating. I can't imagine what a full spray must be like from the actual bottle. From the looks of the bottle, it looks like it puts out a lot.

Fan of: Red Aoud, Dark Aoud, and Black Aoud.

Best place to sample Montales is with MINNYC, imo. Send you 5 samples for $10 if you're in the US. Not bad. Not bad at all.
    The butterfly
    perfuming its wings
    fans the orchid

--Basho

Sampled quite a few and very much liked Full Incense and Red Vetyver. The ouds are challenging and definitely not for everyone (including me) and the non-ouds are mostly ho-hum. I'm still not through all the samples because after a few days I was on full scale Montale burnout. Still recuperating.

Quote Originally Posted by teepeeasel View Post

I'm currently wearing Red Aoud, which I have a sample of, and I sprayed 4 tiny sprays (both wrists and inner elbows) and it's more than enough, I'm at the edge of suffocating. I can't imagine what a full spray must be like from the actual bottle. From the looks of the bottle, it looks like it puts out a lot.

Best place to sample Montales is with MINNYC, imo. Send you 5 samples for $10 if you're in the US. Not bad. Not bad at all.
    Montale bottles are cleverly designed, their sprays use very litle amount of juice

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teepeeasel View Post

Montale bottles are cleverly designed, their sprays use very litle amount of juice
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had to sum them up in one word it would be "powerful".
    AGREED... I put ONE spray of "Aoud Lime" one one forearm and rubbed the residue of the spray on both arms. Then went to church. About half way through the meeting my wife was demanding to know what I was wearing and why I'd put on SO MUCH OF IT!!! After washing my hands and arms it still was radiating the Aoud Lime smell.

The OUD note used by Montale can best be described by an analogy...it's like comparing real crab meat with that fake crab they put in salads and stuff. No one is tricked into thinking it's the real thing.

HOWEVER, I DO LIKE THE NON-OUD scents in the line. The concentration and longevity of the scents is above and beyond ANYTHING out there. Neat packaging too.

Montale's "Oud" is just not my style.