Code of Conduct

Talking Is There a Perfume for Me??? Please Help!

Hello, I'm new (obviously) & I have a lot of questions! I apologize in advance for this being so lengthy!

I love the idea of perfume...mostly because I love it when my environment (like my home) smells great & I would love to smell great too. I know that I'm very sensitive to scents, in that I typically smell things people don't or I notice them before others. However, I'm not great at picking up any particular notes in fragrances...I think because they're just so overwhelming most of the time. I don't think I have any allergies though. While scents can be overwhelming (in a "I just want to breathe regular air!" kind of way), I don't get headaches from them, itchy/watery eyes, etc.

This is kind of where I'm running into a problem. I have a few fragrances that I've purchased mostly because of the top notes (again, I'm new...I didn't realize the importance of testing before buying) only to realize later that I really do NOT like them or they are just way too strong for me. Note: I only do ONE spray, typically under my shirt onto my bare chest. Maybe I should consider behind the knees??? I'm trying to figure out what it is that I do/don't like about particular scents.

Are there some people who just genuinely can't wear perfumes because they're just so overwhelming? I enjoy the lightness of body sprays, but they always tend to be so "chemical" to me. I just ordered several samples & I'm trying to stick with EDTs but maybe I need to go with something even lighter? The longevity on me (even with the cheapest of body sprays) seems like it lasts for hours.

I'm really interested in finding a signature scent...something that really works well for me. I read descriptions of fragrances & some sound so appealing...but then I smell them & I'm just disgusted. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me to identify what I don't care for in a fragrance & offer suggestions for things to try.

A little about my personality (if that matters with a fragrance, which I believe it does!): I'm quite easy going but also consider myself an introvert. This description shocks my family as they view me as incredibly outgoing but I know I'm not. I don't care to bring a lot of attention to myself (so a perfume with a heave sillage is probably not for me). My style is quite simple with regards to fashion. I'm a minimalist when it comes to most girly things like hair & makeup. I am however a pretty creative person. I'm also a busy mom! I'm not particularly active/sporty but I am definitely always on the go. I prefer the beach over a lake, fall & spring to summer, a good book or a movie over going to a club & dining out (ethnic foods are probably my favorite but if the ambiance, staff & food is good...it doesn't matter too much!).

Fragrances I like: Fruity, sweet! I know I like things fresh and tropical too. Citrus on occasion. Although I like sweet fragrances, I'm not necessarily into foody smells like baked goods. I do like certain florals like tiare, gardenia, peony & rose. I also like lavender from time to time.

Hit or miss/Somewhat like: Vanilla, clean scents (like cotton), minty things, spicy like cinnamon or cardamon. Tobacco...but usually in a home, not on the body.

Things I don't like: Musky smells. Warm scents like amber. Really woodsy things too.

Some body care things I absolutely adore: Honey I Washed The Kids soap by Lush. Ro's Argan Oil Body Conditioner by Lush. Papaya, Mango, Raspberry, Coconut, Monoi, Strawberry butters from The Body Shop. Le Couvent des Minimes Honey & Shea body balm. Votivo's Red Currant body lotion.

I think you should be able to see my wardrobe on here. It's quite small. Like I said, I tend to purchase something & then hate it later. I have given so many things to my daughter who seems like to anything & everything! Recently I purchased Prada's Candy because I loved the top & middle notes (I assume because I liked it for the first hour or so). Then it just started to become gross. I liked the lingering scent that rubbed onto my shirt I guess, but it just became a little sickening. I've used it ONCE & I just want to get rid of it. I also recently purchased Flora by Gucci in Gorgeous Gardenia. I tested it on my inner elbows & loved (most) every moment of it. After about 6 or 7 hours though I was kind of ready to wash it off. I will definitely wear it again but I know it's not really the scent for me. Live Luxe by Jennifer Lopez (ugh, I'm almost embarrassed to have a celebrity perfume) used to be one of my favorites. It was actually the first perfume I ever purchased in a department store really. Prior, I had only had cheap body sprays, etc. I really enjoy that fragrance but I can't wear it that often because it's SO STRONG to me. I do like how it mixes with my body but it is either missing something or doesn't have something that makes it not my signature scent. Today I wore Lush's 25:43 which I purchased in January 2012. I mostly liked it in the store, I still mostly liked it the second time I wore it (February 2012) and this is the first time I've worn it since. I still kind of like it (but holy lime batman!). It's weird & unique. It reminds me of a regular Margarita but the glass was coated in sugar, not salt...along with some cinnamon & maybe some chips & salsa. I honestly can't tell how much I really like it. Either way it's incredibly strong. I sprayed myself at 9:00 this morning. It's now 2:15 AM and I smell it just as strong (minus a lot of the lime). FYI - I know I've mentioned a couple Lush products and while I DO like their products, I don't really care for their perfumes! Waiting on a sample of the Rose Jam one though. Supposedly it smells just like the Ro's Body Conditioner & if so...that would make my day!

So, now that I've rambled on forever...is anyone able to help me hopefully find my "signature scent"?

Default Re: Is There a Perfume for Me??? Please Help!

Perhaps Candy Rose or Pretty Fruity by Montale might be worth a try.

Welcome!

Don't worry about writing too much - the info helps. You've already learned the lesson about testing and sampling, so that's good. Keep testing and don't make any decisions until you've lived with a fragrance for a full day. Also, if you spend a lot of time smelling and learning, your tastes may turn out to surprise you, so try to keep an open mind.

Based on what you said you like and don't like, I'd recommend that you smell:

- Freak by Illamasqua: Despite the marketing image, it's a clean, unusual, not-too-sweet floral with a bit of incense in the drydown.

- Peoneve by Penhaligon's: Very clean, pretty peony/rose fragrance. If you can get your hands on Vert Pivoine by Histoires de Parfums (they do a good sample deal on their website), that one's nice too.

- Truth or Dare by Madonna: Don't scoff at celebrity scents! This one is a big tuberose/gardenia with a cozy sweet benzoin/vanilla drydown.

- Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia.

- Prada Infusion d'Iris: If you liked Candy but found it too cloying after a while, you might like this. Very clean, elegant iris.

- Guerlain Insolence: The EdT and EdP versions are very different. The EdT has more raspberry overtones, while the EdP more violet. Both are worth smelling.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Welcome!

Maybe you would like to try the various Aqua Allegoria ranges by Guerlain - lots of citrus and fruit, but done so in style, with a smart-casual vibe
    L'Eau par Kenzo pour femme
    Laura by Laura Biagiotti
    (the latter two having a translucent aquatic, also white floral, fruity-citrus note)
    Iris Nobile and Magnolia Nobile by Acqua di Parma
    Dior Escale a Portofino
    Dior Dolce Vita

Hi there!

I'm new here too so be warned Im not exactly an expert!

Since you like light and clean: try Dolce and Gabbana Light blue. Also Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely.

If you like citrus, and sweet, try acqua di Parma blu Mediterraneo range: I have mandorlo di sicilia in my wardrobe. I find it very light.

I have the opposite problem from you though: hardly any perfume lasts on me more than an hour so Im always looking for something that packs a punch and prefer EDPs.

Definitely try spraying away from your nose. Back of the knees or lower abdomen. Then you wont become overwhelmed.

I agree with spraying away from your nose. I apply to my stomach or the back of my neck; my upper chest is far too much perfume.

My first semi-random thoughts are:

- Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan. Pretty, fairly sweet, not at all aggressive. Fades very quickly, but it sounds like that would be a bonus?

- ElizabethW Sweet Tea. Sweet friendly lemony tea.

- Aftelier Wild Roses. And Fig. And Honey Blossom. Give Aftelier in general a try.

- Parfumerie Generale Jardin de Kerylos. My favorite fig.

- LostMarch Din Dan. My favorite citrus.

- Bois 1920 Sutra Ylang. Friendly, not too aggressive, generally hard to describe.

Thank you guys SO MUCH! I really appreciate your responses & your taking the time to read my post. I will check out these fragrances & order some samples of those that sound great! I will also try what you suggested ChickenFreak & Scentsucker in applying to my stomach or the back of my knees to help avoid being overwhelmed.

Again, thank y'all so much!

Basenotes Plus

If you can find a store near you that sells Jo Malone, you may ge able to find something that may work.

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes ladycirce, & thanks for a great introduction!

l suggest you also check out Annick Goutal's line, especially Un Matin d'Orage (dew-soaked gardenia) & Le Chevrefeuille (lemony honeysuckle). There are also some fruity & rose-based scents in the line, but l am not as familiar with those.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Welcome!

Maybe you would like to try the various Aqua Allegoria ranges by Guerlain - lots of citrus and fruit, but done so in style, with a smart-casual vibe.
    Agree. I think that you would like the Jo Malone range too.

Basenotes Plus

Sorry, double post

Hi Ladycirce, this is a very thoughtful introduction!

I will second Magnolia Nobile by Acqua di Parma. It is a great combination of citruses and white, creamy magnolia.

You can also try:
    Bottega Veneta--I know it's supposed to be about suede, but the citrus and apricot are obvious for me there.
    Chanel Chance Eau Tendre--it doesn't get a lot of love here, but it has bright citrus notes and quince.

If you want something more high-end and niche, you can try MDCI Belle Helene, which is a very modern, not offensive at least to me, fruity chypre (if you are like me, you will feel more fruit--pear in the beginning and delicious plum later--than anything else).

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Low-cost: You might want to try Pacifica fragrances-- they now sell sample sizes in the solids on their website (solids stay very close to the skin; the sprays have more sillage but none is overwhelming): http://www.pacificaperfume.com/sample-perfumes
    Whole Foods stores also carry this line. I think a number of them may please you.

Moderate cost: I second the Jo Malones and Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo line. These are colognes (so not so strong) and none of them is overly long lasting. Our Nordstrom carries Jo Malone and many Saks stores do as well. If you have a Blue Mercury store near you, they carry Acqua di Parma. Store locator:
    http://www.bluemercury.com/bluemercury-locations2.asp

High-end: In general the Hermessence line of Hermès are transparent and have lower longevity and sillage. http://usa.hermes.com/perfumes/hermessence.html
    Use their website customer service page to request specific samples.

Again, I sincerely appreciate all of your input! I've checked out the fragrances y'all suggested & ordered samples of the ones that I think I will like. It might be some time before I'm able to respond more about these. I have a LOT of samples coming in the mail soon and it will take me some time to test them! The samples I ordered previously & also ordered according to your recommendations are as follows:

Britney Spears Curious - I couldn't bring myself to even test on myself. Yuck.
    Gorilla Perfume Black Pearl
    Gorilla Perfume Comforter
    Gorilla Perfume Ginger
    Gorilla Perfume Honey I Washed The Kids
    Gorilla Perfume Love
    Gorilla Perfume Rose Jam
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Angelique-Lilas
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Figue-Iris
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Tiare Mimosa
    Guerlain Insolence
    Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan
    Histoires de Parfums Vert Pivoine
    Illamasqua Freak EDP - This was quite offensive out of the bottle to me. Icky!
    Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia Cologne
    Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey
    Jo Malone Red Roses - This is so AMAZING! I'm already planning on purchasing a bottle. Surprisingly it didn't last as long on me as most perfumes do, but I enjoyed the scent the entire time I wore it and it was never overwhelming. This could be "the one"
    Jo Malone Sweet Lemon (Tea Series)
    Le Labo Ambrette 9 - This was very soft, stayed close to my skin. Very soapy, though. Wouldn't purchase for the cost, but I will probably finish my sample.
    Le Labo Jasmin 17
    Montale Pretty Fruity EDP - This was AWESOME! I thoroughly enjoyed!
    Smell Bent Prairie Nymph - This was WAY spicier than I imagined. Like cloves, carnation & honey. The spiciness was way too strong. It made me feel far more "naughty" than I am. I will keep the sample around but will not be purchasing this.
    Strange Invisible Perfumes Epic Gardenia
    Strange Invisible Perfumes Galatea
    Strange Invisible Perfumes L'Invisible
    Strange Invisible Perfumes Lyric Rain
    Strange Invisible Perfumes Moon Garden - This smelled like gasoline! Will NOT put on my skin.
    Strange Invisible Perfumes Prima Ballerina
    Strange Invisible Perfumes Tosca
    Taylor Swift Wonderstruck - This was pretty good...for like 10 minutes. Then it just turned into a cloying floral that would.not.go.away! Longevity was (unfortunately for me) very long.

I must say the recommendation for the elizabethW Sweet Tea sounds fantastic but I didn't see a sample on the site I ordered from (Surrender to Chance). Having lived in Georgia for 12 years and now South Carolina for 4, Sweet Tea is surely a staple in our lives and I love the smell of Sweet Tea with Lemon! However, since I technically grew up on the West coast of the US I prefer my tea steeped in the sun & sweetened with honey & lemon as opposed to boiled & filled with sugar. I sincerely hope I can find a sample of this somewhere but I did find the Jo Malone Sweet Lemon (Tea Series) sample so maybe that will be great too.

Thank you all again and I will definitely keep this updated!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Low-cost: You might want to try Pacifica fragrances-- they now sell sample sizes in the solids on their website (solids stay very close to the skin; the sprays have more sillage but none is overwhelming): http://www.pacificaperfume.com/sample-perfumes
    Whole Foods stores also carry this line. I think a number of them may please you.
    Thanks 30 Roses! I do love many fragrances from Pacifica but mostly in their candle form. They have many at the grocery store I shop at (Earth Fare, similar to Whole Foods). Hawaiian Ruby Guava is something I've enjoyed as a body butter and I also have the roll-on. In fact, I need to find the roll-on as I seemed to have misplaced it. My butter is all gone! I do have a solid of Tuscan Blood Orange as well. I'll check out some of their other fragrances when I'm at the store today too.
    Last edited by ladycirce; 13th January 2013 at 12:18 PM.