Code of Conduct

Question does anyone remember mollie parnis frag?

I'm trying to resurrect my memories of my mother's perfume collection from the late 70s. I remember Mollie Parnis as a beautiful rectangular bottle....orange, perhaps, or brown. My scent memory is spicy orange...does anyone else remember this?

Thanks for help -- Karie

Default Re: does anyone remember mollie parnis frag?

Sure do! And also Sophie from Sophie of Saks Fifth avenue...a beautiful peach/apricot and flowers combo.

So great to get this blast from the past - so many of the popular frags from the 70s seem paler now - don't know if that's because my nose is less discriminating or my skin has dried considerably and I live at the beach - all due to getting older. Nice to get this reminder! Thanks. :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Oh, I'm glad you remember it. I wish I knew the other fragrance you mentioned.

I was fascinated with Mollie Parnis because it was so intense and intoxicating (to my nose, at least), and I thought my mother was never more glamorous than when she wore it (sometimes with her Mollie Parnis ultrasuede shirtdress). Wish I had the shirtdress, too!

queen of the universe

Red face Re: does anyone remember mollie parnis frag?

:wave:I still have about 1/8" in the bottom of a bottle (square shape with a circular center), but at about 30 years old, it has gotten bitter to my nose. The EDP is a deep reddish amber color.I remember a distinct black currant note. Seriously, people would follow me around when I wore it, and I swore I'd save that last drop in case I ever remarry The knockoffs are obnoxious. Liz Claiborne's original fragrance reminds me a bit of it, but truly, there was nothing like it. I would love to know its composition.

This is the only place on the internet where I've even seen a discussion of it.
    Last edited by jujy54; 27th July 2008 at 07:43 AM.

Sure do! I remember the hole in the center of the bottle, and as for the scent, I remember it as being a tangy floral. It probably had some white-floral elements in it, tuberose and orange blossom, if I had to make a bet on it. It was rich and attention-getting, but in a very classy way.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Sure do! I remember the hole in the center of the bottle, and as for the scent, I remember it as being a tangy floral. It probably had some white-floral elements in it, tuberose and orange blossom, if I had to make a bet on it. It was rich and attention-getting, but in a very classy way.
    I just revisited this thread as i wait for my eBay purchase of the parfum. Yeah, tuberose, maybe a little apricot (something fruity for sure). I like what you said about it being attention-getting in a classy way. People followed me around when I wore this.

I recently got a decant of vintage Miss Balmain, which though drier, has some element in common. I'm still finding my way around notes.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Agree with the drier structure of Miss Balmain - it's a fragrance where the floral elements are structured so they aren't perceived as "floral". I've always picked up more on the super-dry woods in this frag. If you like the direction this is taking you, I urge you to seek out Cialenga by Balenciaga. Incredibly elegant. You'll love it.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Agree with the drier structure of Miss Balmain - it's a fragrance where the floral elements are structured so they aren't perceived as "floral". I've always picked up more on the super-dry woods in this frag. If you like the direction this is taking you, I urge you to seek out Cialenga by Balenciaga. Incredibly elegant. You'll love it.
    Hi, thanks for the recommendation. I just scored a micro mini of Miss Balmain for something less than the postage to send it (asking prices vary from single digit to >$40 fir the micro-mini!) and it is wonderful. I love it's drydown, woody with some skin smell. In the early going I get what I call "fond du ashtray" and I love it. Miss Balmain, to my mind is both more reserved and more daring than Mollie Parnis. Mollie I wear like a beautiful pair of earrings, and Miss B is sexy underwear.

queen of the universe

@Jardanel, do you know anything about the most recent iteration of Miss Balmain? My experiences are with vintage extrait, and I smell something IFRA-banned about it, thus don't want to get near the new, though I am curious.

queen of the universe

@Jardanel, got a micro-mini of Cialenga, very nice, very similar to though maybe a little simpler than Miss Balmain.

I sometimes do a "side by side by side" sampling of fragrances, and applied MP, MB, and Cia+ to discrete spots on my arm. Elements in common seem to be tuberose, aldehydes, and leather. Maybe a bit of smoke, too. Miss B is the most complex tho she dries down oddly enough, to animalic adhesive tape! Mollie lacks the civet of the other two, and steps out with that peach/apricot (I also get a sense of a hot cup of tea) that starts metallic then stays to the end in a softer form.

Interesting how the same notes can be recomposed to different effect. Like music, 12 tones and a million songs.

Hi July54, sorry for the gap.

Re current Miss Balmain: I bought a bottle recently. It is decent but feels a little hollow. There's a twang missing in its melody, probably missing some animalic notes.

Glad you tried the Cialenga! It's pretty hard to find these days.

queen of the universe

Jardanel, I got the Cialenga from the Miniature Perfume Shoppe. Decent prices without all the ebay mishegoss.

Hi karie!
    I just joined basenotes so my reply is a long time after your question but I wanted to answer anyway. I used to wear Mollie Parnis many years ago. It was my all time favorite scent. They stopped making it and I located a store with one bottle left after much searching. I remember it reminded me of apricot, some descriptions say Peach. My 5 year old daughter climbed up on the counter and removed it from the cabinet where I stored it, the bottle slipped from her fingers and all of the contents went down the drain. I looked for years for more of it, I located some on Ebay a year ago and the seller said it didn't smell like it had gone bad but it had, so disappointing. I wish I could find out if someone took over the fragrance and marketed it under another name but I have never found anything like it

queen of the universe

Hi, Elisabeth, I just sent you a private message, offering you a decant from my recent ebay acquisition.
    In the meantime, I do think Miss Balmain shares some qualities with MP. All in all tho, MP was one of a kind; I'm willing to bet it has all sorts of IFRA-disapproved ingredients, one knowledgeable friend suggests nitromusks are in the mix.

- - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to add that Mollie does lose a little something with age, but I think you'll find the decant I'll prepare quite recognizable, just a little thinner.

- - - Updated - - -

Belated thought: I smell some resemblance in Diane von Furstenberg Volcan d'Amour, tho I find it less elegant and louder than MP.