Code of Conduct

Default Is Original Vetiver by Creed is too much for a high school student, or even generally for a 16yr old

I think its smells great, but I've seen some reviews and its been dubbed an older man's scent on many occasions. Its also been suggested to repel younger girls, specifically, high school aged girls. That's not something I want. I'm just looking for an honest, clear, point of view from people with experience with this scent.

Also, what would be an age appropriate scent for high school?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Original Vetiver by Creed is too much for a high school student, or even generally for a 16yr

wear what you like, thats what i do and im in high school

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is Original Vetiver by Creed is too much for a high school student, or even generally for a 16yr

I would not put OV in the mature category at all.

OV does not put vetiver way up front like other vetiver fragrances do. It is fresher and lighter than most.

I say go for it. Not only can you pull it off, you won't smell like anyone else at your school.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you like it, go for it!

You'll smell better than everyone else in your class. I'd say do it

No, it is not too mature.

It's soapy-clean vibe makes it a great high-school frag!

double post
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 3rd July 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

check out Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Well thanks for the guidance. I appreciate many people vouching that it is a good frag. for high school for its freshness where as some reviewers recommended this scent as one for those 25 and up insisting that this scent wouldn't be appreciated at a younger age and that it would come off as awkward.

I'm with Freeze. Educate and edify your classmates, enchant the ladies, intimidate the fusty old teachers!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

If You like it.....go for it.....Glad to know that there are Young People with Great taste!!!
    Gary

Cathodera, I can't really figure out how to address that comment so I'll just say wow, very assertive. I really don't think anyone opposes the scent, but on second thought, I also don't think anyone closer to my age group has actually smelled this scent, so I assume the responses are from an older crowd. I still did appreciate the input and I did take it to heart so I'll just see how it goes wearing the scent.

Oh and just for example of my last post where I said this comes of awkward, my friend caught this scent (I had worn it for the last week of school or so) and said it smelled like a woman's perfume or soap. I thought it was an odd comment. Is this what I can expect people to get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

youve really gotta just wear it with confidence, thats the key. for example, i wear alot of cologne most people my age dont even know exists since they only shop at Hollister, Abercrombie, AE, or PacSun. at my school, Fierce (Abercrombie) is very rare (i think i only wear it). So when i'm rocking stuff like A*Men or Givenchy Pi, im 110% unique.

For you to wear OV, youve gotta just wear it with pride knowing youre definitely unique. i think thats the key to ANY fragrance, to be confident in it. I've been told A*Men is waaay too mature for me...ive yet to encounter someone who hasn't loved it on me

IMO, you should wear fragrance first to please yourself. Wear what *you* like.

If you want others to enjoy your scent, wear something unique. After all, do you want to dress like everyone else and blend into the crowd?

I think young people, young men AND women, try to "fit in" with a crowd. As a result, you will be absorbed into the crowd. There are a number of scents worn by young men that seen to be literally everywhere.

If you want OV by Creed, by all means, wear it and be happy. I assure you that most young men your age will not be wearing this. Also, be aware that young women your age will not know of this wonderful scent.

Best wishes on your exploration of scent at your young age!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not save some $ and wear Mugler Cologne? It's very similar to OV. You can test it at Sephora.

Post Thanks / Like

It wont be appreciated; not by you and not by your surroundings.

At this age you are still developing your own unique style and personality. Im not saying it as a bad thing, but at this age theres still a lot of outside influence in peoples choices. People wont appreciate this scent, and eventually it will make you dislike it as well. After all you dont want the smell of something which was rejected.

If you do like vetiver i would recommend different ones that are a little lighter on the nose.
    Im not much older then you so i was in a very similar situation with "unusual scents" not too long ago.

I would look into Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver which is a "younger" type of vetiver.
    Prada Infusions De Vetiver is a soapy vetiver, which would always be pleasant to the nose even in the most boring and frustrating class.

Vetivers do tend to be a little "older/mature" imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike357 View Post
    Cathodera, I can't really figure out how to address that comment so I'll just say wow, very assertive...don't think anyone closer to my age group has actually smelled this scent, so I assume the responses are from an older crowd.my friend caught this scent (I had worn it for the last week of school or so) and said it smelled like a woman's perfume or soap...I thought it was an odd comment. Is this what I can expect people to get?
    Well, I think you may be operating in a cultural context where there may be some differences in terms of sophistication level and "exposure" to some things between you and some of your friends and classmates.

As was mentioned in another thread, in some parts of the world, vetiver is as ubiquitous and common a fragrance as ketchup is in the world of mainstream US condiments, while in other cultures, it might not be as well known by as large a swath of the mainstream population.

By that, I mean, that it is entirely possible that you might be wearing a scent that many adults who smell you will not recognize.

BUT, you are talking about the Creed Vetiver, which is not really a hard-core one, at least from my perspective, so it's all relative.

I'd be willing to guess that if you looked at the perfume shelf of the friend who made that remark, the contents would not paint a portrait of a young man who gave as much thought to, or had as much interest in, the subject as you do, and by 16, it will not be news to you that any time you become interested in something, and begin to learn things about it, there will definitely be some differences in the way you perceive that subject as opposed to the way your more conventional classmates do.

Ignorance as a point of pride is not an uncommon cultural value among some populations. This is of itself a fascinating and chewy social anthropology tidbit, and a favorite one for lively discussions in various forums that are better venues for it than this one, I guess the best "takeaway" is that you have the opportunity to hone your social skills and develop that coveted ability to be true to yourself but also retain the ability to appreciate others for who they are, if that makes any sense.

And yes, I'm old. I was old when the mountains were young. But way before that, when I was young, I also liked fragrances that most of my friends had never heard of, and yes, they considered me strange, and frankly, they were right.

But it's OK to be strange.
    Last edited by cathodera; 3rd July 2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: people were talking to me & I left words out of a sentence about ignorance. Oh, the irony!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Don't get a bottle of it. Get a sample. DON'T wear the sample at school unless you want your social life ruined and possibly get beat up.

Wear a very light application near a girl already committed to you. Tell her to be honest when she gives her opinion.

Test over.

Well, those are some pretty negative comments and i think I'll take them more into account and not wear the vetiver to school. The negative comments just make more sense. I guess MI is out of the question too =p

Go for it!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

If YOU like it, then wear it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I second the opinions on this thread that any scent which you like is appropriate to be worn

Also, for a modern yet high-quality vetiver vibe at a comparatively affordable price, I would additionally suggest Lanvin Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently a high schooler as well, 17 turning 18 in a few months. I wear whatever i feel like because i dont believe their are age restrictions for fragrances. I mean if you like something, wear it. If its too "old" or whatever, i feel you can make up for that with personality and you can pull off any fragrance that you wish.

I dunno about your school, but for my school, no one really wears colognes or anything. Therefore, i can pull ANYTHING off and be the most unique. I mean don't get me wrong, i love unique and rare fragrances, but i do have the occasional cheapie like "cool water" to please the younger crowds who enjoy those types of fragrances in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike357 View Post
    Well, those are some pretty negative comments and i think I'll take them more into account and not wear the vetiver to school. The negative comments just make more sense. I guess MI is out of the question too =p
    dude... F these negative comments. you want to wear it, so wear it. it's a very non-offensive scent. it's not like you're wearing Bois de Portugal or something. OV is a very casual, clean scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I think OV is fine for any 16 year old young man ... who can afford it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow...a 16 yr old who can afford a Creed. I remember having to scrimp & save for a year just to buy myself a walkman when I was 16. Kids these days have way too much spending money...

Sorry for the OT. But I think Kbar speaks sense. At 16, peer approval is v important for many. If you wear whatever you like, be prepared to hear negative comments from some Axe-wearing friends who probably can't tell their left elbow from their right knee. Unless you are one of those who don't really give a damn, in which case this thread wouldn't even be here. But objectively, OV is one of the least offensive vetiver scents out there. Try on a sample or decant as Sensual suggested.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 3rd July 2010 at 04:39 PM.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A personal comment on another 16 year old and another Creed. When my son was 16 he wanted one thing for his birthday: a bottle of Creed Bois du Portugal. So I bought it for him. He was glad to have it. He wore it to school. He wasn't ridiculed. He wasn't beat up. He enjoyed it and it smelled great on him.

Half the battle is being confident in what you wear.

I say be true to your self. If OVC is your thing then go for it.

I am a strong believer of individuality, a thing I have run with all my life. I am influenced by what I like not by others, as all should be.

You should not be put off by what uneducated noses are telling you, if you like OVC (and you obviously do by this post) then stick with.
    Last edited by Marc Anthony; 3rd July 2010 at 11:17 PM.

Unfortunately, you may have been cursed with good taste. Better you get use to it now than later. Forget the girls that will run from this..let em run cuz they probably aren't your type anyway.

Be you no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like

What was your experience? Was creed too much?