Code of Conduct

Default Is there a comparative graph of similar scents?

To let everyone know, this is my first post here, so let me apologize in advance if what I ask is common knowledge. With that being said, just starting to consider niche fragrances, and have ordered several 1ml decants of scents that keep showing up under my searches for "best" fragrance. Of the ones I've ordered, they basically fall into "meh", "not bad", and "I really like that".

Before the questions, the list: (I also have several Tom Ford samples on the way, but not here yet)

"Meh":
    Creed Bois de Santal
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Cred Millesime Imperial
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Maison Francis Kurdjia Amyris pour Homme
    Le Labo Santal 33

"Not Bad":
    Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or-cuir
    Amouage Jubilattion XXV

"I really like that":
    Amouage Epic Man
    Creed Bois du Portugal

So, with that being said. I'm sure that my to favorites (Epic Man and Bois du Portugal) must share some similar scent undertones that draw me to them, over the others. (For instance, GIT does nothing for me. Its not unpleasant, it just doesn't seem to have any depth)

Questions:
    1) What is the underlying scent, common to those two fragrances?
    2) Is there a database, website, service, etc etc that lists or graphs fragrances with common characteristics?
    3) If you're familiar with the two favorites I listed, what are some other scents I might also enjoy?

Thanks!
    James

Default Re: Is there a comparative graph of similar scents?

Hi James, welcome to Basenotes.

You can look up your fragrances in the Basenotes directory and see what the notes are in those scents and then do a search for the notes. Also, you could check Michael Edwards' website - fragrancesoftheworld.com Having said that, I think you have to subscribe to parts of it.

Hope the info has been at least, a little help to you.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

I think Basenotes is a better website overall but you should check out fragrantica.com. When you click on a fragrance you can see near the bottom (before the reviews) what people think each fragrance smells like by upvoting or downvoting the suggestions. Doesn't look like you get much for Epic Man but there is at least four for Bois du Portugal.

Welcome, James Holder!

I think parfumo.net has the graphs ur alluding to.. I'd still come to basenotes for detailed reviews, expert insights & analyses.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

┐Si o No?

Last edited by socalwoman; 6th January 2013 at 08:09 PM.

For the OP, as to #3: Perhaps Clive Christian No.1 Pure Parfum

Thanks guys, that looks like a good place to start. @hednic, I'll have to check that one out.

Welcome!

Looking at your list, it seems you are drawn towards the more complex woody scents - most of the Meh's are fresh Creeds, and even the Santal and the Amyris are on the lighter-fresher side (the Santal of the Le Labo not being original santal, now unavailable).

Serge Lutens has a characteristic deep, saturated woody base (see for instance Feminite de bois, Bois vanille, Bois de violette), and in general many other of his scents are rather deep. Montale has a very sharp, striking woody-oudy base you may want to experience (Black aoud, aoud cuir d'arabie, etc). You may also want to check Amouage Gold man, which is not woody, but is enormous (the woody in the Amouage line is Dia man).

cacio