Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Who do wear scents for

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yourself only, who cares what everyone else thinks

21 40.38%
  • Everyone - i want to smell good for everyone

9 17.31%
  • Unique to everyone- I want to be different. its ok if some hate & others love

14 26.92%
  • The opposite sex! - Most love it - I want to smell sexy, even if the other people smell the same.

2 3.85%
  • The opposite sex! - Unique - i want to smell uniquely sexy. its ok if some hate and others love

6 11.54%
    Basenotes Plus

Default Opinion: Do you care what others think of your scent? Particularly the opposite sex?

Ok here goes. I'm curious to see what members of this think on this topic. Do you care what other people think of your scent? Particularly those of the opposite sex? Or do you not care and really buy/wear scents purely for your own amusement?

If you care more about how others perceive, is the opinions / attraction factor of the opposite sex important to you? do you prefer to have something that most would like? or something thats more unique but perhaps polarizing so that some may love and others may hate?

If you do care how others think, but don't care if the opposite sex thinks about it, do you value uniqueness over the general appeal? Which do you prefer? something safe & mainstream that most like, or something more polarizing that some love and others hate?

I'm very curious. Personally I buy my scents for mostly how others perceive, particularly women. (although i must love it as well.) I really don't care for how other men think of how i smell, but to me its important that I smell good to the ladies. Something that I love but most women hate, i probably would not keep it, but ones that most ladies are ok with but i love i'd keep.

There are some that are very polarizing that some women absolutely love and others hate, I think i dig these the most. The worst thing to me is something mediocre /generic that most find just O.K. (to me this is most of generic designer scents like acqua di gio, calvin klein, and other generic "clean" scent. but that' just my opinion)

what are your thoughts?
    “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.” - Bruce lee

Default Re: Opinion: Do you care what others think of your scent? Particularly the opposite sex?

I only care in two situations:

1) I don't want to be offensive about it (I don't want to be the chick at work that got taken into HR not once but SEVERAL times by different people because she wears so much perfume she can literally be smelled...STRONGLY...from 5 feet away...and she works in "clean room" type areas (not sterile) that are small, closed off and have limited airflow. The poor girl is anosmic to it or suffers from severe olfactory fatigue because she seems to truly not realize how bad she stinks.)

2) I want Boyfriend to like it. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I mostly wear scents for my own enjoyment. But I really want Boyfriend to love the way I smell.

Default Re: Opinion: Do you care what others think of your scent? Particularly the opposite sex?

I don't really care, but I tend to like "safer" scents. In other words nothing like MKK and not the aquatic generic mall scents either. If I like it, I'll wear but. It took a while for me to get to that level, such as wearing Noir de Noir which I've been told by a friend that I smell like grandma. But me likes, me wear. If I get compliments, it's a plus but it's not my primary reason to wearing fragrances.

For myself only. Most people around me don't care.

Other than my wife, don't care what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Other than my wife, don't care what others think.
    This.
    I have had to pass on some scents I loved because the wife did not like them. 5ml sample of something she hates is enough to last me over a year because I can only wear it when she is gone the whole day.

And to be honest, I hate smelling like anybody else. The worst is if someone says, "I love that smell! My ___ wears that."
    That said I will wear some common designers every now and again if my wife loves it.

Without taking into consideration situational issues, I don't care what anyone thinks. I wear what I like because I enjoy it. Have I worn a scent because a significant other loves it, while I am only lukewarm on it? Yes. I do favors for people sometimes, too. That doesn't change the reason that I wear scents, which is for my own enjoyment and learning.

I also don't care if a scent is popular. If you feel that you need to establish your uniqueness by the scent you wear... well, that's only because you're not very unique. Sorry, but that's the truth. It's just silly elitism and is most often born of insecurity. I'm not saying don't wear something that's out there if you enjoy it, but on the flipside, I'd also suggest you wear Acqua di Gio or A*Men or whatever if you love it, too.

I also do take my scent choice into consideration if a signifcant other or co-worker or someone I'm going to be spending time near mentions they hate it, have an allergic response to it, etc. That's just common courtesy.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - I predict that "for myself only" will far and away get the most votes, and I'm calling BS on that already. Most of the perfume community is heavily influenced by the community itself, the prejudices against certain brands, etc. that even though people think they like what they like and dislike what they dislike, they actually end up disliking a lot of things they actually do like just due to prejudice. I see this all the time in reviews and it used to piss me off, but now it just makes me laugh at how ridiculous it all is.

I proudly wear Givenchy Play Sport and Memoir Man or Harrods Oud Patchouli (well, not all at the same time ). I'm considering swapping for I Am King because... I like it. What a novel reason, eh? It's not a masterpiece but it's unique and smells good to me. I don't care whose name is on the bottle. I don't care who is in the ads. I care about the smell and how it makes me feel.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

For chicks! But not cheap shit that everyone wears. Only Aventus, Jub XXV, GIT, TFTV etc

Sound Scents

I wear whatever I want when I want, but I will alter my choice if someone I know is allergic to a given scent (or fragrances in general). I also take others feelings into account as to the potency level I choose in professional situations... That said, I may have to slightly amend that as I wear all my powerhouses to the office (albeit with just one or two sprays) with complete confidence and without shame...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I am in favor of a mixed response/feedback. While I am comfortable and satisfied with the scents I wear, compliments, especially female, are still well received, even if not specifically sought after.

If somebody specifically went out of their way to tell me they didn't like what I was wearing, i'd try to remember to wear something different next time I knew I was going to see them. But otherwise, no. I think that's just good manners.

What if you're interested in attracting people of the same sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    What if you're interested in attracting people of the same sex ?
    Then be a good person to be around. In ALL respects. I find the whole "pantie dropper" obsession quite juvenile.

I care what others think in the sense that I don't want people around me to be put off by my scent or feel uncomfortable because of it. If those around me, particularly my nearest and dearest, enjoy the scent, then that's an added bonus, but not really my aim.

Maybe if I'd gotten into this hobby when I was younger and unmarried more of it would be about wanting to be attractive to the opposite sex.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    ... I find the whole "pantie dropper" obsession quite juvenile.
    As do I. My point was merely that the OP's post and poll are rather exclusive.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I wear what I like, always have, long before I even knew about the existence of fragrance forums, even back when I was single. Fortunately my husband likes whatever I wear (as well as whatever I cook-- he is easy to live with!)

If he truly hated a particular scent of course I would not wear it, but this has not happened yet.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I like to wear something good that nobody else has heard of, much less wears. They don't have to like it but it shouldn't be offensive.

Basenotes Plus

Sorry gandhajala, i guess that totally slipped my mind when i was writing this. i mean by all means if you wear scents to attract the same sex you could put into the last 2 options. I guess what i should have said is if you wear scents for attraction...? i'm still not very good at phrasing this haha. but all in all its cool to see peoples responses and i look forward to seeing more =)
    “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.” - Bruce lee

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlz View Post
    Sorry gandhajala, i guess that totally slipped my mind when i was writing this. i mean by all means if you wear scents to attract the same sex you could put into the last 2 options. I guess what i should have said is if you wear scents for attraction...? i'm still not very good at phrasing this haha. but all in all its cool to see peoples responses and i look forward to seeing more =)
    No worries, Noodlz. I just didn't want anyone to feel excluded As you know, we're a diverse bunch here.

I wear them only for my own enjoyment, and the girlfriend's perhaps. I'm aware that I also smell good to others and that it probably gets them, any gender, a little excited, me being all sexy and stuff. Not sure if it would be fair to blame my perfumes for that though.

I understand not everyone will like what I'm wearing. That's ok. You can't please everyone all of the time, I'm happy pleasing some people some of the time, and myself all of the time! :-D

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I am for wearing what I like.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I care, but ultimately, I come first, so if I like it, then I'm wearing it. I get the impression that most people around me don't really care about this anyway - I suspect that most of them are either unaware of what I'm wearing, or are aware but not interested. I only apply fragrance in the morning, so for most of my day, whatever I chose probably isn't all that obvious.

i voted for "yourself only" option but of course there's no harm if the opposite sex likes it too
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

As the only male in my household it does make for an easier life and especially since I 'banned' my wife from wearing a frag which I deemed as repulsive! But as for opinions outside of my immediate family- No

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Then be a good person to be around. In ALL respects. I find the whole "pantie dropper" obsession quite juvenile.
    I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

I wear what I like, but I don't want to offend others. Most of my perfume is lightly dabbed on so typically powerful sillage is not a problem.

I mostly wear them for myself, however if others are offended by a certain scent I have the courtesy to not wear it around them. I wore Montale Patchouli Leaves to work one day, it sent the lady next to me in to a sneezing fit, so I stopped wearing it to work. Also if my gf tells me she doesn't like a particular scent, I will stop wearing it around her.

I only wear something if I like it.
    If I dont like it, Its not not gonna be on me.
    If others like it, it is icing on the cake! I think it's great if everyone enjoys it! and reguardless of what it is!
    If someone went out of their way to let me know one of my scents really effected them negatively, I would apply double the amount the very next day...hah! nah, I just wouldn't wear it around them if possible. We gotta give respect.

I've ran into some pretty sensitive and picky noses on people so I guess it depends on the person. I say wear what you want though, because it's impossible to figure out what one person is going to like from one to the next.