Code of Conduct

Default What is the 'right' weather for a fragrance

I always hear about how weather could effect the longevity and projection of the cologne. Here in michigan its usually in the 30's this time of the year and not humid. What is the 'right' weather for a fragrance to do what is suppose to do

Default Re: What is the 'right' weather for a fragrance

I wear whatever whenever. Some people are in the camp where heavier, sweet scents are worn in the cold and light, citrusy scents are worn in the hot weather.

As long as you're cool what with you have on, it doesn't matter. You have to use a little trial and error on your skin.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

With my skin chemistry, frags tend to do much better in the warmer months than during the colder ones.

To me that would be good weather for a heavy, sweet,ambery/syrupy, animalic scent. Some people don't have animalic ones, but something like the new version of Giorgio for Men by Giorgio of Beverly Hills would work too (thick, musky, vanillic, sweet, etc.).

Some of my frags shine dependent on the weather. For example, I wouldn't dare wear Pure Havane in the summer. Just too cloying for me during that season. But in the winter, I really enjoy wearing it and it's not cloying at all during that time.

I prefer to wear most of my Creeds during the summer, but I still do wear them every so often during the winter, just because they're so versatile and perfect for an indoor setting.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I wear whatever whenever.
    Same here.

I have some frags that are used more in the summer and some more in the winter.

I don't understand why sandalwood tends to be considered a "winter" scent, considering sandalwood grows in warm areas.

It depends on the fragrance.
    For example, Burberry London can only be worn December 24th or 25th.

It does vary from fragrance to fragrance, however, Burberry London is perfectly permissible any time between December 16th (my birthday) and New Year's Eve afternoon.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

When choosing a fragrance I consider both temperature and humidity. When you've got a respectable fragrance the problem is to find the appropriate conditions in which it shines, and not judge it where you shouldn't.
    Most people find Rive Gauche PH rather versatile, but I wear it only in the winter. Some other fragrances perform differently, but still very nicely in both warm and cold weather, like Ungaro III for example.

Another follower of the "whenever wherever"-theory. Earlier, I used to be very conscious about wearing gourmands, Orientals, leather, powerhouses only during the colder seasons and citrus, aquatic, fresher frags exclusively during the warm months, but now I am not that strict about it any longer and basically wear, as often as possible, what I like, whenever I like it.

It's OK to wear what you feel when you feel like it, but I am always careful of my surroundings when applying something on. I take in to account how cloying the fragrance might be given the conditions/environment that I'll be in and make my decision based on that. My objective most of the time is not to draw too unnecessary attention to me.

That said, it's rare that I use the same fragrance more than once on two consecutive days, but has been known to happen

I found recently that when I wear a citrusy type scent in the Winter, I really regret it a few hours in. This is the time to bust out those heavier, sweeter scents. The lighter, fresher scents feel really flat and thin this time of year.

So today is Creed BDP, yesterday was JV Vintage. I'm going to rock the Winter/Fall rotation until April (it gets wram very early here in GA, and I only have November through March to wear the sweet scents).

I only choose certain scents for weather type just based on how they make me feel, not necessarily because there are any "rules"
    Certain scents just seem to go better, like a warm smelling scent just feels right when the weather is cooler. Or a bright, invigorating scent makes a hot day feel nicer.

I wear whatever whenever, but I do tend to wear citrus fragrances more in the summer, and usually avoid the heavier stuff in hot weather. But, with air-conditioning, and heating... it doesn't matter as much if I'm going to be inside most of the time anyway.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

There are no right or wrong answers. The only "right" answer if you like is whatever your own personal opinion is.

An interestiing question. I imagine that perfumes are developed and tested in a low humidity, comfortable temperatures, e.g 22-24 degrees celsius(72-75 degrees fahrenheit) I would think that at higher temperatures, with the same low humidity, the perfume would project slightly better, and with greater humidity, it would stay closer to the skin, unless sweating becomes an issue. Anyone have experience with the perfume development process out there?

72-75 degrees fahrenheit is the height of summer where I live!

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    72-75 degrees fahrenheit is the height of summer where I live!
    But it feels like 78 with the humidity, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Most people find Rive Gauche PH rather versatile, but I wear it only in the winter.

I likewise bought it based on its purported versatility, and a sample I smelled, but was disappointed. Not in the smell, which is super nice, but the longevity on me at least leaves much to be desired.

I can't detect it on my myself after around an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ramizlol View Post
    I always hear about how weather could effect the longevity and projection of the cologne. Here in michigan its usually in the 30's this time of the year and not humid. What is the 'right' weather for a fragrance to do what is suppose to do
    A fragrance is supposed to smell good. If you're thinking "isn't it supposed to turn someone on?" it doesn't work that way. Different people like different things, so different scents will have different effects on different people. I'll use two female friends as examples. One goes gaga over Gucci Pour Homme. The other loves Hanae Mori, H.M. ...those are two very different scents, but the women are also very different too.

Now, let's talk about weather. You can wear whatever you want whenever you want if it pleases you. But it's worth considering how your tastes change with the weather, and if you're wearing scents in order to smell more attractive to others, keep in mind that their tastes will change with the weather too. As en example of that point, think about food. Ever notice how people crave different foods at different times of the year? People eat more soups and stews in the winter, and more salads in the summer, including things like potato salad and macaroni salad. Or, how about beer as an example of tastes changing through the seasons? IPAs are big sellers in the summer. In the winter, there's nothing like a heavy porter or stout! Of course, the beer example only works among those who know the difference between real beer and that silly Bud/Coors/Miller garbage.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Yes.. and the same can be said about clothes, both fabrics and colors. Color is very important for me.

CologneFan85

Ill wear B london anytime lol

You shouldn't wear Creed Pure White Cologne after Labor Day.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

If you live in Michigan it doesn't matter. Your nose is going to be stuffed up all winter so save your money.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    - but Grey Flannel would be allowed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    - but Grey Flannel would be allowed.

In general, I organize my wearing this way:

SPRING: Chypre, Floral, Fougere, Leather, Musk
    SUMMER: Aquatic, Citrus,
    FALL: Booze, Coffee, Fruit, Tobacco, Wood,
    WINTER: Amber, Gourmand, Oriental
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

For me, wearing fresh scents in cold weather - be they citruses, fougeres or fresh orientals - just doesn't seem right.
    Similarly, wearing very thick scents in hot weather doesn't feel right either.
    But there are plenty that fall in between those extremes and feel right or close to right most of the year.

I view it as akin to the wearing of summer and winter clothes.
    Regards,
    Renato

Your discernment of what makes a scent more appropriate for which kind of weather is an extremely subjective choice, based on experience, memories and current circumstances, to name a few influences. Imo, the fact that this is even on your mind marks a certain point in one's development as a perfume aficionado. The point of no return, one might say - but you are in good company!

In addition to the actual physical aspects of temperature, humidity or aridity, etc., there is your inner barometer - your emotional weather. My own system is a combination of the two types, and so complex and individual that I wouldn't even try to explain it to someone else. But in general, I do have certain scents for certain seasons. Today it's cold and damp and I am wearing Parfum de Peau (vintage, original formulation) by Claude Montana. With its heavy spice and animalic notes, I'd think twice about wearing this in warmer weather, but I've done it when my inner weathervane told me to, and it was fantastic.

This !!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Stinky View Post
    in general, i organize my wearing this way:

Spring: Chypre, floral, fougere, leather, musk
    summer: Aquatic, citrus,
    fall: Booze, coffee, fruit, tobacco, wood,
    winter: Amber, gourmand, oriental