Code of Conduct

Default What Chanel fragrance?

Hey basenoters, tomorrow evening I am going to purchase a Chanel fragrance and I need some help.

I am a 20 year old college student, and would like to have an all around scent. I probably won't wear it in the winter much because I have la nuit de l'homme, but I want to be able to use it in the spring, summer, and some of the fall. I live in a VERY dry climate. Very cold in the summer (less than freezing), and very hot in the summer (95-105+). Please recommend one of the following choices below.

Here are the ones I have been looking at:

Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Chanel Allure Pour Homme

I tried Egoiste Platinum and unfortuantely couldn't smell it, at all! Even though others said I smelled good. Also, it might be too classy for everyday school wear.

I loved eau extreme, but read bad reviews of it on here and I heard chicks hate it. I am in college so smelling good, or rather not smelling bad, is important.

Thanks!

Default Re: What Chanel fragrance?

Personally, I am not a big fan of the Allures, in any variation. But indeed these are the fresh scents for the brand, together with pour monsieur concentree. My favorite fresh scent for hot weather is indeed a Chanel, Sycomore, but unfortunately it is very expensive and beyond the budget of a college student. Before you commit to an Allure, I'd suggest you also move to the female counter and check their Cristalle eau verte, which is perfectly masculine and very fresh.

cacio

Blog Entries

Based on my experience, I suggest you don't worry about the reviews here. If you like the Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, then go for it. I think it is a nice scent that should have a name of its own. Sweet and balmy, with an excellent longevity -- a little loud though.

Also check out Bleu de Chanel -- fresh, pleasant, clean. Ladies seem to like this one based on the compliments posted here.

Good luck, and please do update us of your decision.

Basenotes Plus

Just go with Bleu de Chanel.

Chanel Allure Pour Homme

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche perhaps?

My favs in the Allure line are Cologne Sport (clear bottle) and Blanche. I also like the Eau de Cologne in the Les Exclusifs line. You'll have to go through the Chanel website to get the latter two.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I don't think they sell it at my local Macys. They have allure pour homme (seemed okay), allure homme sport (seemed okay, average), extreme (absolutely loved it, but supposedly it grosses chicks out), the cologne version (which I despised), and egoiste (which i had trouble smelling for some reason). I've heard edition blanche is good, and maybe I can get my hands on one later but not tomorrow unfortunately.

Sound Scents

Allure Homme is the least bad of those three but none are worth owning, IMO. Personally I would advise skipping the entire Allure line from Chanel.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Allure Homme is the most versatile of the 3 and it is very warm and inviting. Perfect date cologne.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Allure Homme for winter, Allure Homme Sport for Summer.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Don't even try Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, neither Allure Pour Homme. Try Allure edition blanche and Allure homme sport!!IMO homme sport is better for you because you can wear in any season and any situation, and edition blanche is more a "summer fragrance". You should also try bleu de chanel but this one is less versatile. You can't go wrong with Allure Homme Sport, it's a very good daily fragrance and you can also wear it on a date, a pub and even a night club depending on how good your skin projects it.
    Last edited by victorcotrim; 8th January 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Just go with Bleu de Chanel.
    +1. Women go crazy over this stuff.

I was going to say the cologne version too (by far, my favorite in the Allure line), but I see you didn't like it. It's definitely the freshest. My next choices would be AHS & Edition Blanche (although EB can get a little funky in the drydown)

Also, if you're looking to try Edition Blanche, check Sephora if you have one near you. Most of the ones around me still have EB testers and stock on the shelves.

Bleu De Chanel is the only Chanel I would ever purchase.
    Sport isn't bad, but not worth the money
    Same with Allure. "M" by Perry Ellis is a close copy of Allure.

I can understand that you may not like these, but why would you recommend he doesn't even try them. That makes absolutely no sense, especially considering the fact that he already said he tried "extreme" & liked it. I personally think the lemon in edition blanche smells overly synthetic & reminds me strongly of lemon pledge...but, that doesn't mean he shouldn't test it to see if HE likes it.

Anyway, to the OP: I'd say go for the eau Extreme. While its my personal favorite from the Allure line, that's not why I'm recommending it. I say get it because it's the one you like the most, plain & simple. As for your concerns about the reviews & if women like it or not, I seriously wouldn't put much stock in that at all. First of all, women all have different tastes in what men's frags they like, just like us men do. Second, women will like what smells good on you. In my experience, if YOU find it to smell good on you, the majority of other people will too, because it means it works well with your skin/chemistry.

Also, not that this matters, but eau extreme smells great to me, seems to develop really well on my skin & out of a couple dozen main frags I rotate, it's been one of my wife's favorites on me. Bottom line, go with your nose my friend, not over-exaggerated reviews about what gets compliments or no compliments or what others hype or say is overrated. You'll be much happier with your collection in the long run & enjoy this hobby more for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by victorcotrim View Post
    Don't even try Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, neither Allure Pour Homme. Try Allure edition blanche and Allure homme sport!!IMO homme sport is better for you because you can wear in any season and any situation, and edition blanche is more a "summer fragrance". You should also try bleu de chanel but this one is less versatile. You can't go wrong with Allure Homme Sport, it's a very good daily fragrance and you can also wear it on a date, a pub and even a night club depending on how good your skin projects it.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    I can understand that you may not like these, but why would you recommend he doesn't even try them. That makes absolutely no sense, especially considering the fact that he already said he tried "extreme" & liked it. I personally think the lemon in edition blanche smells overly synthetic & reminds me strongly of lemon pledge...but, that doesn't mean he shouldn't test it to see if HE likes it.

Anyway, to the OP: I'd say go for the eau Extreme. While its my personal favorite from the Allure line, that's not why I'm recommending it. I say get it because it's the one you like the most, plain & simple. As for your concerns about the reviews & if women like it or not, I seriously wouldn't put much stock in that at all. First of all, women all have different tastes in what men's frags they like, just like us men do. Second, women will like what smells good on you. In my experience, if YOU find it to smell good on you, the majority of other people will too, because it means it works well with your skin/chemistry.

Also, not that this matters, but eau extreme smells great to me, seems to develop really well on my skin & out of a couple dozen main frags I rotate, it's been one of my wife's favorites on me. Bottom line, go with your nose my friend, not over-exaggerated reviews about what gets compliments or no compliments or what others hype or say is overrated. You'll be much happier with your collection in the long run & enjoy this hobby more for years to come.
    Everything I say is based on my opinion. So IMO he should not try Eau Extreme because it is as bad as then when they make continuations of great movies that are a huge fail, like Shrek 2, its not good as the first one.. Can you get me ?? They tried to continue a great sucess but it was a big fail, go with the original one... It's not that Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme doesn't smell nice, it does. The problem is that any Allure smells better than this. Edition Blanche has the creamy lemon opening and Sport is a high quality citrus/aquatic/woody that breaks the mold from "sport" fragrances. Extreme brings nothing new or interesting to the table and seems like a money grab, they tried to create a new version but it got worse. IMO Extreme is inferior to the other allures and also I had a lack of projection silliage. If you like Eau extreme you will probably like AHS better!!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Today I spent a few hours testing every Chanel I could get my hands on. Couldn't get my hands on an edition blanche, but I tried every one and let it sit for about 4 hours before purchasing. After about 10 minutes, neither, the lady selling me the cologne in Macy's, or my friend that I brought along with me could smell the regular allure homme sport. I ruled that out because of that (that was with two sprays on the same place on the wrist). Chanel Egoiste platinum wasn't my favorite, so it came down to Allure Homme and eau extreme. I spent a few hours doing whatever, checking my wrists occasionally and asking girls usually college looking, in the mall where Macys is located what one they liked better. They actually preferred the eau extreme, and one girl asked what it was so she could buy it for her boyfriend. I like eau extreme the best in the first place too, so it must work well with my skin.

I gave them all a chance and I appreciate your insight.

PS After hearing so many good things about Allure Homme and AHS, I truly wanted to walk out of the store with one of those, but they just didn't match up to eau extreme for me.

Congrats on your choice, man! It's a nice frag & one I also prefer over AHS. Actually, I think it strikes a nice balance between the original Allure Homme & Sport. It's quite versatile & has good longevity to boot. You'll get good use out of it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post

+1. Totally agree with you, fit&frag'd.

Everything I say is based on my opinion. So IMO he should not try Eau Extreme because it is as bad as then when they make continuations of great movies that are a huge fail, like Shrek 2, its not good as the first one.. Can you get me ?? They tried to continue a great sucess but it was a big fail, go with the original one... It's not that Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme doesn't smell nice, it does. The problem is that any Allure smells better than this. Edition Blanche has the creamy lemon opening and Sport is a high quality citrus/aquatic/woody that breaks the mold from "sport" fragrances. Extreme brings nothing new or interesting to the table and seems like a money grab, they tried to create a new version but it got worse....
    @victorcotrim, I know you're addressing fit&frag'd but please allow me to chime in.... I think you may have missed in the first post where it was mentioned by the OP that he has tried and loved Eau Extreme already, so it is just logical to suggest that he should trust his nose on his decision.

IMO Extreme is inferior to the other allures and also I had a lack of projection silliage.
    Eau Extreme didn't work on your skin, but it has a very good longevity on some people, including me... the projection is actually pretty loud, too.

If you like Eau extreme you will probably like AHS better!!
    Not to some people. For the record, I'd prefer Eau Extreme over Allure Homme Sport. I've tried AHS many times and never liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer92 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Today I spent a few hours testing every Chanel I could get my hands on. Couldn't get my hands on an edition blanche, but I tried every one and let it sit for about 4 hours before purchasing. After about 10 minutes, neither, the lady selling me the cologne in Macy's, or my friend that I brought along with me could smell the regular allure homme sport. I ruled that out because of that (that was with two sprays on the same place on the wrist). Chanel Egoiste platinum wasn't my favorite, so it came down to Allure Homme and eau extreme. I spent a few hours doing whatever, checking my wrists occasionally and asking girls usually college looking, in the mall where Macys is located what one they liked better. They actually preferred the eau extreme, and one girl asked what it was so she could buy it for her boyfriend. I like eau extreme the best in the first place too, so it must work well with my skin.

I gave them all a chance and I appreciate your insight.

PS After hearing so many good things about Allure Homme and AHS, I truly wanted to walk out of the store with one of those, but they just didn't match up to eau extreme for me.
    Congrats to you, and enjoy your new Chanel! AHS Eau Extreme is a winner in my book!

Basenotes Junkie

Wink Re: What Chanel fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    +1. Women go crazy over this stuff.
    Funny, I'm not a huge fan of the stuff but I've heard women love it, so I sprayed some on my arm at the airport to see what my girlfriend would think. She recoiled and said "Blah! That smells like cheap hairspray!" No kidding.

She has good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    Funny, I'm not a huge fan of the stuff but I've heard women love it, so I sprayed some on my arm at the airport to see what my girlfriend would think. She recoiled and said "Blah! That smells like cheap hairspray!" No kidding.

She has good taste.
    Well, first of all, the opening is a bit "harsh", but it settles down fairly soon, so if people are basing it off the opening, not nearly as many will like it. Second, my wife likes it on me & she has great taste as well, so...

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I would also recommend Bleu de Chanel. It is non-offensive, smells great and is greatly appreciated by most ladies. Sounds like the perfect fragrance for you.