Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Need Suggestions Coming off 2Man and Vettiveru

Hi All,

Still fairly new to this, but have tried quite a few fragrances/bought a few and am looking for suggestions (if this is better in Starting Out, feel free to move it).

Of my collection so far (see wardrobe/signature), my girlfriend seems to like 2Man and Vettiveru the most on me and I was hoping to find other fragrances I might try based off of that. To clarify, I'm not looking for only other incense and vetiver, but things to round out my collection based on what I already like.

I've been thinking of getting Sycomore since I've sampled it and really loved it, but am hesitant because I already have EN and it seems a bit redundant. Also to note: The only thing I've tended to shy away from have been gourmands as I haven't liked any thus far.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!
    ~Current Favorites
    2Man|Sequoia|GIT|Egoiste|Encre Noire|Philosykos

Default Re: Need Suggestions Coming off 2Man and Vettiveru

Le Labo Vetiver 46 is exactly what you're looking for. It's similar to CdG 2Man, but much stronger with incense and vetiver. Try to at least sample it.

You have an excellent collection, and you seem to gravitate towards a more modern, avant-garde style. You seem to have many incenses already, so perhaps you might want to diversify. But then, if you like incense, why not? There are still many worthy ones, like Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu.

I second some sniffing at Le Labo (Barney's or Soho). In addition to vetiver (which is more incense than vetiver), you can check Iris (clean, rooty iris), and for some fun patchouli (careful, it's strong). If you or your girlfriend like marine (I don't), neroli is worth checking as well.

Another brand you might like is Etat Libre d'Orange (at Henri Bendel). Je suis un homme has a feel similar to some of the incense you mention, though it's more woody, citrusy and leathery. Eloge d'un traitre is green. Tom of Finland starts saffrony lemony, then becomes more leathery.

cacio

Montale Santal Wood

Well you have Chanel …goÔste, perhaps my all time favorite, hence Chanel Bois des Iles might be right up your alley then.
    I own both, and both get a lot of wears. For more incense and wood, perhaps try Armani Prive Bois d'Encens? Great incense frag, almost up there with Avignon! Since you have a few sandalwood frags and Philosykos as well, perhaps Hermes Santal MassoÔa is something for you? Creamy and milky sandalwood and massoÔa bark, with a slightly coconutty vibe, and some say a prominent fig note.

Knize 10 / NY edt by Parfum de Nicolai / Invasion Barbare by MDCI / French Lover by Malle / Andy Tauer's LDDM / Lime Aoud by Montale / Guerlain's Derby or Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur

I almost forgot! As you own and like CdG Kyoto, Loewe 7 might be something you would like. Incense, cedar, vetiver, cloves and a crisp, but not too obvious, apple note to mix things up. It is apparently quite affordable in the States as well, as I have seen it at a good price on fragrancenet, compared to the full retail price you have to pay on most European sites(the ones I know, anyway)
    Last edited by NorstrÝm; 12th March 2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: More STUFF!

Basenotes Institution

Try Gentleman by Givenchy
    "Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Well, there are four fragrances I own that have gotten positively wifely comments, and two of them are 2Man and Vettiveru. So going on that alone, the other two are YSL's rive gauche pour homme, and The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver. And actually I think either would fit in well with what you already have.

rive gauche is an interesting take on a classic masculine, with an old-school feel without feeling dated at all, and different from your Egoiste & GIT.

And Sel de Vetiver is quite different from your other vetivers, having a brighter, more summer-y and slightly floral take on vetiver.

Good luck!

Basenotes Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I've noted down a few to try like the Eldo scents, Loewe, Labo Iris and Patchouli, and Montale when I go sniffing about on the weekend.

I have actually tried Vetiver 46 and loved it, but it seemed a little bit too close to 2Man with that very signature Buxton feel to it.. I felt it didn't justify the fairly heft price tag maybe if I could just get a decant off the forum. Bois des Iles I've also tried and while I loved the opening it just dried to a very powdery, very feminine scent that I wasn't too keen on. Timbuktu I tried ages ago, and I remember it smelling a bit like celery on me (WHAT?!!), but smelling much better on my girlfriend hmm.. thanks again everyone!
    ~Current Favorites

I'd definitely give Timbuktu a few more chances; I found it to be a grower and now I absolutely love it. It's a great combination of vetiver and incense, with a tasty green mango note in the beginning. Transparent but very present and satisfying.

Also, since vetiver may work well on you, be sure to try two of the very best: Chanel Sycomore (smoky, warm, very very refined) and Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (more chiseled and defined, but exquisite).

Since you like CdG 2 Man and Vettiveru, maybe try a few other notables in the CdG line? Given these two, I'd say Odeur 71 and Comme des GarÁons 2 (in the metal flacon) are worth a try.

If you like vetiveru, give bvlgari ph extreme a try.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I'd definitely give Timbuktu a few more chances; I found it to be a grower and now I absolutely love it. It's a great combination of vetiver and incense, with a tasty green mango note in the beginning. Transparent but very present and satisfying.

Also, since vetiver may work well on you, be sure to try two of the very best: Chanel Sycomore (smoky, warm, very very refined) and Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (more chiseled and defined, but exquisite).

Since you like CdG 2 Man and Vettiveru, maybe try a few other notables in the CdG line? Given these two, I'd say Odeur 71 and Comme des GarÁons 2 (in the metal flacon) are worth a try.

I will give timbuktu a few more wearing when I come across it then, it does have a strong following so maybe I'm missing something. Sycomore and VE are both on my buy list, but was still hesitant about Encre Noire/Sycomore redundancy.

Wasn't a fan of CdG 2 (too inky), but will definitely try 71. I tried 53 years ago and found it smelled only of powder and laundry on me, but hopefully I'll like 71 better. Thanks again for all the help I'm excited to get back to sampling!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    If you like vetiveru, give bvlgari ph extreme a try.
    Noted to try it, this one seems readily available I don't know how I've always passed it over
    ~Current Favorites