Code of Conduct

Thread: Am I addicted?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I addicted?

I have started to get some funny looks from work colleagues due to the large number of packages that I am receiving at work and my wife thinks that I have a problem.

At the moment, I am ordering samples, decants, splits and full bottles on a regular basis and seem unable to stop my impulse to buy fragrances. Often, all I need is to find one positive review of a fragrance on this site to convince myself that I need to buy and over the last couple of months I have bought around 25 full bottles of various fragrances.

My question is this.

Is there something wrong with me and am I on my own (I know that is two questions).

My gut feel is that there are others on this forum that maybe share the same 'issue' and I am wondering if I should be genuinely concerned about my inability to stop randomly buying fragrances? I am at the point where I question why the hell I am buying more and more bottles but I just cant seem to stop - is this common amongst other fragrance lovers?

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Am I addicted?

Any hobby or interest can become quite addictive but provided it remains within budget it shouldn't be a problem - unless you perceive it as such!
    In which case it may be.

Are you enjoying it?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're buying to much then stop. It's really that simple. If you can't stop that means you are no longer in control of your own actions and could be dangerous. In that case check yourself into a psychiatric hospital and have them restrain you. I'm guessing you are in control though and can stop whenever you decide to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Any hobby or interest can become quite addictive but provided it remains within budget it shouldn't be a problem - unless you perceive it as such!
    In which case it may be.

Are you enjoying it?
    Without a doubt

I have always been interested in fragrances but since getting involved with this site I have found my interest has escalated at a pretty alarming rate.

I don't have an issue as such with the budget but I must admit that buying so much and knowing that it would be almost impossible to use all of the bottles in my life time does make me wonder if I am a bit mental!

Post Thanks / Like

I was in your same shoes.......until the surplus cash ran out! Don't worry, you will be fine even though this hobby can be highly addictive.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Gucci II, Tuscan Leather, Reflection Man, Midnight In Paris, Geir Ness, Pure Havane, DHI, Costume National 21, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: Verdon Eau de Toilett

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, your post made laugh! You're coming to a site full of people passionate about fragrances from around the world and asking if you have a problem? Of course not I think the majority of people here have gone through periods of making many purchases, and it can leave peers, colleagues, friends, and family to raise an eyebrow. Like lpp said, if you're not going beyond your budget, then i wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people spend a lot of money on a lot of different things, and fragrances happen to be what people in this community enjoy and budget for.

I will say, when I first joined this site I used to blind buy all the time. And I don't really do that anymore. At its peak, my collection was around 50-60 bottles, now I'm under 25 and don't really have a desire to go past 30. I sample more, blind buy almost never, and would rather spend my money on fragrances that I know I'll like and will wear more than just a couple times a year.

I wouldn't say what you're experiencing might just be a phase, though, because there are many here who are also serious collectors and have 100's, if not 1000's of fragrances. I guess we all have to decide how many bottles is enough or how many is too much; maybe it's a fine line. Although, if your wife thinks you have a problem, that's another matter entirely

Post Thanks / Like

It goes through peaks and valleys. Take a look around you - have you really experienced what you have so far? Maybe time to take a deep breath and fully experience your current load. I'm reminding myself as I type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it controls you where you are impulse buying even when you can't afford it just for the thrill then you have a addiction. Otherwise it's just a enjoyable hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a pretty harmless addiction unless it becomes a financial problem. You've found a hobby that you are really into... just like a lot of people. Just have fun with it unless you can't afford all the buying.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    If it controls you where you are impulse buying even when you can't afford it just for the thrill then you have a addiction. Otherwise it's just a enjoyable hobby.
    Well, on that basis it is still a hobby - I am not sure that I have ever thought of it as a hobby and most people I know do not think of it like that as shown by the usual statement of 'you cant possibly use all of them (bottles) so what is the point?'

I suppose that by looking at it as a hobby then it makes more sense

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    Without a doubt

I have always been interested in fragrances but since getting involved with this site I have found my interest has escalated at a pretty alarming rate.

I don't have an issue as such with the budget but I must admit that buying so much and knowing that it would be almost impossible to use all of the bottles in my life time does make me wonder if I am a bit mental!

Maybe we're all a bit mental here but it's fun

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it beats hanging out at the dog track.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

If you buy more than you can afford then, yes, you have a problem. If your finance is still ok, then enjoy your hobby...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

my wife thinks that I have a problem.
    Been there.

Is there something wrong with me and am I on my own (I know that is two questions).
    Yes. No.

My gut feel is that there are others on this forum that maybe share the same 'issue' and I am wondering if I should be genuinely concerned about my inability to stop randomly buying fragrances? I am at the point where I question why the hell I am buying more and more bottles but I just cant seem to stop - is this common amongst other fragrance lovers?
    Yep. I went through a 2 year span where I always had something in transit to me - either arriving that day, or just placed an order, or waiting on a delivery. Samples, full bottles, splits, etc... Last year, I cut my spending by about 1/2. This year, I am trying to spend about half of what I spent last year. Still buying stuff, but trying to pace myself so I can wear what I already own rather than only wearing the new stuff that comes in the door.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brckner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Priv - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't stop.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was on the outs with my husband for a while and the postman thought I was a real nut case. Luckily, my collection has stabilized now. I have most of what I desire and the new things coming out don't interest me, generally. I do order samples and occasional bottles but infrequently. I stopped for about a year because it had gotten out of hand. I just played with decants and samples. I had tons! It sounds as if you at least know you should slow down so you'll be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that I find interesting is that it seems like there are others who have gone through a mad spell of buying but it seems to slow down after a period of time.

I am starting to feel as though it may be time to enjoy some of the bottles that I have rather than giving them a couple of wears and then moving on to the next thing.

I think that this change may be down to the fact that I am moving towards understanding which type of fragrance I enjoy. In particular, three recent purchases have got me wanting to wear them for an extended period of time (Chergui, Encre Noire and Pear & Olive) which in turn may slow down the buying - no guarantees though!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    It's a pretty harmless addiction unless it becomes a financial problem. You've found a hobby that you are really into... just like a lot of people. Just have fun with it unless you can't afford all the buying.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are in good company here.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

I started off about 10 years ago, and I'd buy a bottle maybe every two weeks, now it's becoming at least a few bottles every week. I have a cabinet that houses about 200 frags, now they're on top of the cabinet and all along the shelf :P As long as you don't get into financial difficulty or let it affect your relationships then it's a harmless hobby. Enjoy your fragrance adventure, it's addictive!
    UK Swap Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for decant swaps

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    7) CHANEL Bleu de Chanel
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) CREED Aventus
    10) COMME des GARONS Amazingreen

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    You are in good company here.
    Forsooth!
    Last edited by easyfish; 22nd March 2014 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's making a negative impact in your life, and interfering with your daily activities, then it's an addiction.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are at the point that you are overthinking it, then you should slow down.

I guess most of us have been at that stage.

Personally I have a collection of 75 bottles of which I bought 65 in one year. The last 5 months I only bought samples. I promised myself to buy only one FB a month in 2014. We're march now and I didn't purchase one yet so by may I can do a five-bottle haul ;-)
    Last edited by TLS; 23rd March 2014 at 09:39 AM.

Is it an addiction? Or OCD ? Probably....I have three "hobbies" that I like....Watch collection, Wet shaving soaps and razors, and fragrance....And yes I blow my money on these things quite regulary....But its not any different than Golf or Biking or any hobby where there is considerble investment up front for the tools and instruments you use...I looked at my collection and probably have over 5-6k worth of fragrance...I kick myself sometimes thinking, man, I could have used that money to put down a new car for my wife or perhaps my kids college fund....I get buyer's remorse sometimes....I buy stuff and regret it...When I first started doing fragrance about a couple of years ago, I went crazy mad with it and bought a new fragrance every couple of days...Mostly designer and mostly before I even knew about the "niche world"....I got bored and started exploring niche and again went crazy...Funny thing though is after a while I got to a point where I found the "select few" that I love, not like, but loved...I've narrowed it down to around 45 bottles or so....I had over a hundred at one time...I think with any hobby, you sort of hit that "law of diminishing" returns where buying buying and buying truly isnt satisfying...I believe I went crazy in the beginning because there simply is SOOOO much out there to try and back then, I didnt know what notes smell good on me and which ones do not...Now I do and NOW I buy only those ones that have the notes I can wear and enjoy....I will branch out here and there but not often...My love for fragrance hasnt died, but my "quantity buying" has partly because I'm happy with what I have...
    Current Faves :
    MFK Amyris
    MFK Oud
    Zegna Haitian Vetiver
    Atelier Cedrat Enivrant
    Diptyque Philosykos
    Fougere Royale
    Frank no. 2
    Sel Marin
    Murdock's Black Tea
    Lalique White
    Sycomore

The amount of the purchased bottles per 2 months (25) sounds quite big to me, i personally buy about 1-2 bottles per month. Usually i consider quite profoundly, read reviews, and am quite slow before i make a purchase decision. In your case, I think you have no problem at all if you can afford them. I think there are much worse hobbies or addictions than fragrance colleting.
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me that you already are concerned. It also sounds to me that if you question why you keep doing something, and yet you "just can't seem to stop," then that indicates there may indeed be an issue. Finally, if your wife, who knows you and your situation, thinks you "have a problem," then I'd take that seriously.

The money issue is one thing, and it sounds like you're not overspending, so that's positive. However, the compulsion or addiction that you describe yourself feeling doesn't sound quite as cheery. I think if you're honest enough to share these feelings, you should probably heed them. JMHO. As you say, enjoy what you have for a while. If it helps, I've known a lot of people over the years who say they do better if they stay off the internet (forums, eBay and stores) when they are trying to cut down on internet shopping.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think anyone that feels an inability for self-restraint should have reason for concern.

I wouldn't be concerned about the hobby, or money if one can afford it.

But lack of self-restraint can be a scary problem if it extends into other areas of one's life. Or if it is a pattern of life.

My old boss at work only eats at all you can eat restaurants. Why? Because there is no reason for self restraint! He eats till he can no longer eat; stuffed to the gills. And now he is at risk for diabetes. It is a sad story. That was just an illustration, not intended to deflect from the subject at hand.

See if you can maintain the hobby AND have self restraint. That would be very good!

It is up to you but that kind of behavior isnt healthy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be concerned if my spouse was uncomfortable with my behavior. Something to think about...

This!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ya man, you are definitely not alone...a few months ago I ordered something like 18 full bottles in one month.(I already regularly get one or two a week anyway) But so long as this "hobby" isn't putting strain on your financial/work/personal relationship, then I wouldn't view it as a problem. But if it's jeprodizing any of those, then perhaps it's time to reevaluate:/

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. But you're in the adventure phase. It's ok. In time, if all goes well, you'll develop other pursuits (or obsessions) and this will be just one part of your life and you'll spend somewhat less time on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same situation asking the same question. When I hit the 100 bottle mark I knew I had a problem. Committed to slow my purchasses to almost nothing as a New Years resolution. So far I have purchassed a split and one bottle (hard to find at a discount but found one) that has been on my "to buy" list for a couple of years. I have become very critical of any scent that I feel a desire to buy. Does it fill a niche in my collection? Is it unique enough to buy or is it so similar to something I have that it is redundant? Will I really wear it?

One thing I have is too many fragrances that I bought blind and never wear, or things that are cheaper and purchased because I thought I liked them. Yes, there are many that I like but not love. To really figure out what is in my top rotation I have been religous about using the scent of the day feature here. (I really wish all that data lost in the hudler archive would be restored!) After a year I will know what I actually wear and carve down my collection to a more reasonable level.

So far I have discovered that what I wear mostly is higher end stuff and very few designer scents. Maybe that makes me a snob but I wear what I like and the numbers so far show what my wearing preferences are. It also helps (I think) that I am an old fart anx I have decided that life is too short to wear cheaper scents that really, I don't care for that much. Now that warmer weather is here I shall find out for certain what I wear the most when it is warm.

Do what makes you feel good, but at some point (which you may be near) you need to figure out what you like to wear, how often you wear those things and if something new will actually fill in some empty place in your rotation or if it will just set on the shelf.
    Last edited by Akahina; 23rd March 2014 at 02:32 AM.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went through the same thing. I'm very new at this. Only a few months into it. 20 bottles later, I finally said to myself that I was only to purchase 1 bottle per month. So far so good. And I don't mind following that protocol. Now my wife thinks I've gone overboard, but then again, I look to my left and see a plethora of purchases. I turn my head 360 and I see a wardrobe that trumps mine in comparison. So we all have our "hobby". But as long as it's in good taste within the home, as mentioned numerous times already.

But this summer, my fortitude will be tested. There are a lot of summer fragrances on my buy list. They have been sampled (been through the sample phase as well) and they are NOT redundant. So it's something I sort of "work" for. Although, my list will shortly stop by the end of the year. I've sampled what I needed to. So I know what I want. And I will stop there.....for a while....but not completely.

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly I'll add something even if others find it similar to something I already have.
    Like for example Carnal Flower & Beyond Love. Yes both tuberose but different enough to warrant adding both to your wardrobe.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

IOften, all I need is to find one positive review of a fragrance on this site to convince myself that I need to buy and over the last couple of months I have bought around 25 full bottles of various fragrances.
    Oddly enough I was wondering the same thing when I got to around 25 or 30 bottles.

You aren't addicted because you won't suffer physical withdrawal symptoms if you stop buying. But you may be somewhat compulsive.

What you have to decide is how else would you spend your discretionary funds, that gives you the same enjoyment and satisfaction? And do you really care if one day you have more scents than you'll ever use in several lifetimes? And does the puritanical view of others - that there is something sinful about getting so much more than you need - bother you? (Well, I can see it might be problematic if your wife has that view).

Just keep in the back of your mind that at anytime, you can take pictures of your scents, upload them to Ebay and sell some or all of them off, and recoup a fair amount of what you spent. And you'll probably recoup a greater percentage than if you'd spent your money on a new car.

My hobby has also taken a slightly different detour. I've now bought around 200 bottles - for my wife, figuring i couldn't have her fragrance deprived. She only had a meagre collection of fifty scents when we first started going out.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

What is the average cost per bottle of those 25 bottles in 2 months? How much (total) have you spent since joining Basenotes? Does it make you feel uncomfortable, sick or guilty to have spent whatever you spent on that cologne in two months? Do you look back on it and think it was really unnecessary and unwise? Do you think the money could have been spent more wisely elsewhere, for your family? Do you think ANY amount is okay as long as you can afford it and it doesn't interfere with you paying your bills? Or would you say there's a limit?

Now, estimate what your future buys will be? If you continue do buy 25 bottles every 2 months, that would be 150 bottles a year. Does THAT bother you? Is THAT irrational? Would it create problems with your wife? If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, at what point (exactly) would you deem your buying became irrational and "problematic?" (i.e, 50 bottles was okay, but 75 bottles....absolutely not?!?) What will you do if you reach 125? 150? 200? You need to think about these things and make a plan. Is there EVER a point where it's simply too much? What is that point....exactly?

What about next year, and the year after that? How many more bottles will you acquire? Will it EVER become indicative of being a problem? Only you can answer these questions, and only you can change your behavior if you think it needs changing.

I think unregulated buying is only okay if you are completely comfortable with it. Some are, some aren't. If you really aren't, then make a plan to cut back and follow your plan.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Batucada, Balle de Match) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-L-Artisan-PdN

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Selection Verte, Bois de Santal, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel, L'Artisan, Parfums de Nicolai) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the posts in this thread has been helpful.

Firstly, it appears as though I am not on my own (I pretty much knew this anyway but it is nice to get confirmation of the fact).

Secondly, I can see a pattern in many of the posts where a mad period of blind buying is followed by a slowing down with more consideration for what is already owned. I think that I am maybe at that point as I recognise that randomly blind buying bottles is maybe not the best approach.

My issue has never been a financial one but more of a concern as to where the buying ends? The feedback in this thread has suggested that maybe it is time to sit back and calm the whole thing down

Believe it or not, I have found this thread incredibly useful and would like to thank all that have contributed

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the posts in this thread has been helpful.

Firstly, it appears as though I am not on my own (I pretty much knew this anyway but it is nice to get confirmation of the fact).

Secondly, I can see a pattern in many of the posts where a mad period of blind buying is followed by a slowing down with more consideration for what is already owned. I think that I am maybe at that point as I recognise that randomly blind buying bottles is maybe not the best approach.

My issue has never been a financial one but more of a concern as to where the buying ends? The feedback in this thread has suggested that maybe it is time to sit back and calm the whole thing down

Believe it or not, I have found this thread incredibly useful and would like to thank all that have contributed
    I have no regret of buying 65 bottles in one year. I rather regret the fact I bought too much designer before getting in to niche. I see myself wearing niche almost all of the time now.

In my fact I'm at a level now that I don't find that much interesting scents anymore. They always remind me of something else in my wardrobe so I don't feel the need to purchase them.

So after the level where you keep on buying and buying I think time has come that you slow down in a natural kind of way.

Anyway! Glad you find this thread to be helpful and please do keep enjoying this wonderful hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Its only a problem if you buy based on hyper/impulse and without purpose. Ideally you want an end goal, ie to complete a collection or find your signature scent. With every hobby there is always a honeymoon period and your buying will bound to slow in time.

I'm quite particular and mainly wear the more expensive stuff or something I very like. Lifes too short for just ok, hence why half my collection I never touch.

I only started getting back into fragrances about 3 months ago, even though I had a small collection previously. So far I've purchased about 2 bottles a month. I'm lucky that I've found a scent that I really like and my search has ended, I have maybe 2 more bottles left before I can call it a day, which are Xerjoff Nio and Amouage Jubilation XXV.

Post Thanks / Like

..after a while you will realize (some other said so) that some scents are pretty similar, also concentrate on what you really like..you feel the urge to buy to discharge your rage or anxiety after stressful events or to avoid chronic emptiness, then look for professional help...imo!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

You're going through a phase. Your current pace of buying/collecting is too much out of your own comfort zone.... so slow down.
    Like most people here, you'll find your own buying/collecting pace.

Where I work, it is frowned upon for employees to receive personal packages.... especially everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm less than a year in and have been buying quite a lot. I've noticed that my buying strategy is changing lately. I've found some great outlets for splits and decants at more reasonable rates which helps alot. At this stage though, I'm still in discovery mode and it does require an outlay to learn what is available and what I even like. So, as others have advised, provided you aren't overspending, I wouldn't worry. I've found that no matter what the hobby, whoever you know who isn't into it, will think you're cookoo! Let that roll off your back, don't discuss it with them and just share it with those who share your passion, ie US!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is an addiction if you are compelled to purchase over and over again and you are not ever completely satisfied by what you get. You might be experiencing an addiction! You can learn from it and it can be a rewarding hobby. But don't let it own you. If the financial aspects become a problem in your life then you have to learn to economize, buy less, smaller quantity, decant vs. bottles, sell off excess in your collection etc. I come up against this all the time and try to be frugal in the best ways I can. However, some here can afford to buy all they want and not feel a pinch, so please do not be led astray by those here who are not a good example to follow. You must learn to control your collecting and to live within your means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I addicted?

If you seem to be, than so am I. For the past month, I have received a package in the mail, (bottles, samples, decants), or just flat out going to buy them in brick and mortar stores!

I enjoy spending my money on fragrances, and this is what I want to collect. As I used to collect airsoft guns and Nike shoes, (eBay got rid of them), I see collecting bottles of Fragrance as a hobby that is satisfying as I wear and I have bottles around.

I think I'll stop when the budget i've set and allocated money for now to June runs dry
    I am looking for Carded Creed Samples. In particular, Virgin Island Water, Original Santal, and Erolfa. Please message me if you know how to obtain.

Post Thanks / Like

hey no worries man if its within budget then its fine and don't beat yourself on why you r buying if you are not going to finish them it's a hobby like collecting stamps you are never going to use a stamp but you collect them any way right

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a disaster for me if I had blind bought all of the colognes I "thought" sounded good. I learned my lesson early on with blind buying and resolved to stop it....yes, EVEN for inexpensive fragrances. For the most part, I have done that. I have spent quite a bit over the years on samples, but better that than to buy a full bottle that I don't like and would never use.

I don't know about most here, but for me, I DON'T like most of the things I sample well enough to buy a full bottle.

Sample and ONLY buy the things you love!
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Batucada, Balle de Match) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-L-Artisan-PdN

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Selection Verte, Bois de Santal, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel, L'Artisan, Parfums de Nicolai) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Post Thanks / Like

My humble advice&opinion would be simply not to worry too much, without this excluding however possible reconsidering, reassessing, asking for inputs, infos, additional insights etc. regarding this hobby. Very little remains to be added to the great posts above, so as long this hobby is experienced within a pre-established budget (this may be the trickiest part, but apart from that, few setbacks possible), it should all be fine.

Considering that fragrances are (even in their niche form) generally less cost-intensive than other luxury/rare/pricey collectibles and involve definitely less health risk as well as addiction potential than smoking, gambling, unhealthy nutrition etc., the most defining aspect of the fragrance hobby is- again, strictly in my personal opinion- far less a hazard and far more a pleasurable activity with great added value (maybe less for the bank balance, but far more to certain aesthetic, intellectual, artistic, also recreational aspects of life).

As for an actual strategy: there are in fact very few valid, easily applicable actions taken regarding fragrance collecting/purchasing, but when taken, they generally work. These include: trying not to exceed (or only negligibly so) a give budget/fixed amount, not completely avoid discounts/online retailers, as well as sometimes rescheduling longer, more expensive/diversified shopping/wish lists over longer periods of times, even at the risk of (possible) discontinuation- but if these lists include mainly well-known classics, likely to be around and selling well sometime in the future, it still remains feasible.

Yes, i agree to that. So, i have a problem because I also cannot or seem to stop from buying yet another full bottle, and usually 100ml, no decants or samples here. And on the other hand, I don't have a problem because it costs me much less than a good quality bottle of wine a week or so. To tell the truth I reach a point in which I do know I don't buy simply to use a fragrance, but to own a smell, a scent, a cheap thrill, well sometimes not so cheap, in a bottle that can give me some satisfaction whenever I hold it and smell it. In that sense i think I am an addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    In which case it may be.

Are you enjoying it?

Well, in this case, i am not. although about 95% of my scents were blindbought, I am very happy with what i buy, but i do my homework, I ask people here, the basenoters, and more or less i buy a certain sort of scents, I stay in my comfort zone while getting a new scent. It's not that I don'k like a drink or two, well, maybe three ... but a scent, a smell gives me more pleasure than alchool. I don't smoke. I don't take drugs. Never. But last time I had a hangover it lasted for 2 days, that doesn't have with a bottle of Guerlain, let's say, L'Heure de Nuit ... I have to have it ... yes, Sarah...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Yes it is an addiction if you are compelled to purchase over and over again and you are not ever completely satisfied by what you get.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I started in the beginning of January. The hobby takes up time I could spend doing other things and timing is not the best because of an upcoming move -- but you are definitely not alone, as you already know. If you decide you don't like some of the fragrances you've picked up, let's swap! Cheaper than buying new bottles and still feeds the addiction ;-)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

People would have sooo less doubts and concerns if they repeated everyday: "in a bunch of decades I will be dead". Better care of what you like as long as you're still alive. Thinking about death is perceived as scary and "depressive" by dull people with no imagination, but on the contrary, it's the most positive thing one may think of, because it makes you realise how only good things, and people, and joy and relax and whatever you like are worth efforts and expenses. We only have some years to spend here, why caring that much about what's best and what's good. If you'll end up spending all your wages in perfumes... who cares the same, when you'll see the red line on your bank documents, which you'll be reading with your lighter since they'll have cut off electricity becaue of the pile of unpaid bills... you'll realise all that and will stop wasting money Nobody will get hurt in any case. Do what you like.
    My current top five:

Guerlain - Mitsouko
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascse
    Parfum d'Empire - Equistrius
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Santal Noble
    Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    If you buy more than you can afford then, yes, you have a problem. If your finance is still ok, then enjoy your hobby...
    +1. Sums it all up.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to speak properly about addiction... I don't really think the clinical definition of "addiction" involves financial issues, it's rather psychological - I mean, you can't just say "you're fine" because you're not broke. Otherwise all healthy drug addicts are, well, not drug addicts just because they're not broke (yet)?
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 25th March 2014 at 03:44 PM.
    My current top five:

Guerlain - Mitsouko
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascse
    Parfum d'Empire - Equistrius
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Santal Noble
    Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge

If you're spending beyond your means, yes you have a problem. If you're spending outside of your budgeted allowance for an impulse, you still have a problem, potentially. You should seek out samples and find what really moves you, and you can't live without. My goal is to have fragrances that truly move me. I have bought blindly in the past. Some where hits and some misses. I either returned the misses or sold them. Yes, I get the urge to make a purchase on occasion when I want something new, but as others have mentioned, if you can't control it, it is controlling you.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

This is a phase and it will pass. Your natural interest will wax (like right now) and then eventually wane. I've had fragrance in my life as an abiding interest for a long time, and can say that the extremes of wanting and regretting do smooth out. Just remember that you don't have to scratch every itch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Of course you are addicted. But what can be done? Are you going to quit 'cold turkey'? Maybe you could taper back, since you feel it's a problem. Set some limits for yourself. It makes it more fun, anyway. Some people can't wait for Christmas so they open gifts Christmas Eve or even cheat and peek. I'm sure that takes a lot of the enjoyment away.

I have one friend who is addicted to buying cars-Volvos. He thinks they're great. If there is a good deal on a used one he can't pass it up. At last count he had 5. (There're only 2 people in his life, he & his wife). It seems nutty to me, but he likes doing it. The neighbors aren't too wild about it, I don't suppose.