Code of Conduct

Default Thinking Towards Spring: The Fresh Rose Search

Happy New Year to all! I just received Boutonniere N0.7 . . . a great, fresh gardenia scent that isn't too feminine- I think it's going to be great for Spring. So, I'm starting to have an interest in finding a FRESH rose scent, as well . . . like roses that have just been picked. I have Creed Windsor (freakin' awesome) already, but want something with a bit more rose off the top notes. It seems like most of the rose fragrances for men that I am finding are so dark and heavy . . . any thoughts on a fresh rose?

Default Re: Thinking Towards Spring: The Fresh Rose Search

Dior Ambre Nuit has a heavy dose of Turkish rose, it's very lust and is the main component in the fragrance along with amber. It's fairly heavy but its rounded by the pink pepper and soft amber. One of the best rose scents, despite it not being rose based.

Also check out Armani Prive Rose Alexandaire, very fresh watery light rose that fits your description. I personally find it too feminine but love the smell, maybe it'll suit you better.

Thanks for the suggestions. Finding a middle ground on this note is proving to be a bit challenging for me.

You could try Rose Cardin. It's a very fresh cool rose, perhaps a little camphorous.......almost medicinal. Very unique and very hypnotic.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

A truly fresh rose I know is Rose de Siwa by Parfums MDCI Paris. Could be nice on a man's skin.

Parfums de Rosine specializes in rose frags, in all possible variations. My favorite fresh rose in their range is Rose d'Amour, slightly green and chypre. Rosissimo is also relatively fresh, but goes more into traditional masculine fougere territory. Rose d'homme is also rose prominent, but a touch spicy rather than fresh. Barney's in SF should carry the line. Unfortunately, I don't think they carry the whole line. In any case, if you stop by, you can check what they have.

In other lines, you can check CDG 2 (the regular 2, not 2 man), which is a watery rose. Or $$$ Amouage Silver, an almost metallic, but very natural, fresh rose.

cacio

cacio- That is a fantastic list- thank you so much for the thoughts

You might also try Une Rose by Malle.

I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    You might also try Une Rose by Malle.

Basenotes Plus

One of the freshest Rose scents I have come across, is Ramon Monegal L'Eau de Rose.

It was like walking into a florist around Valentine's Day. It is a bit feminine, but I feel a man can pull it off.

Also agree with cacio, Parfums de Rosine has some great Rose centered fragrances.

Bouton De Rose by Le Prince Jardinier

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    One of the freshest Rose scents I have come across, is Ramon Monegal L'Eau de Rose.
    This one! The crispest rose! Fantastic! Also have you tried Francis Kukdjian Lumiere Noir, (Homme or Femme, both great).

Lumiere Noir or Jardin D'Amalfi perhaps.

Thanks everyone for all of these great great suggestions!

The Ramon Monegal sounds interesting . . .

I have had a rough time with the MFK line- something in it just doesn't agree with my nose and immediately puts me into "old lady" alert. I am sure it is me (everyone's nose is different) as so many people love this line!

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    This one! The crispest rose! Fantastic! Also have you tried Francis Kukdjian Lumiere Noir, (Homme or Femme, both great).

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Lumiere Noir or Jardin D'Amalfi perhaps.
    These. Rose without the darkness. LN is just a pure fresh rose fragrance, and Jardin d'Amalfi is a wonderful citrus / rose - great for the summer.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I have worn Rosa by Santa Maria Novella. It´s a fresh rose, indeed is an Aqua di Colonia, but you can expect more than an ordinary Eau de Cologne. My place is humid and hot (some eau de toilette "die" with this weather). I used to spray it in the morning and after ten hours, everybody said that I smelt so clean and great. Indeed is a soliflor but I find it as a fine masculine rose fragrance (nobody told me that I smelt like my "aunt bath soaps" or feminine) I stopped to buy it because price, for the same I wanted something more complex. But certainly I recommend it.

Lyric Man by Amouage is a nice bright clear rose. Definitely worth checking out.

I also agree with the suggestions for Lyric Man, Une Rose, and Lumiere Noir Pour Homme.

I would add to the list Amouage - Homage and Diptyque - L'Ombre Dans L'Eau.

All different takes on different roses.

Rose 31, if ya haven't already tried it. A fresh green "dewy" rose, slightly dirty, very unisex. Very fitting for Spring.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Serge Lutens Sa Majeste La Rose. For something bolder, Sonoma Scent Studio's Velvet Rose.

+1 on L'ombre dans L'eau by Diptyque

+another 1 on L'Ombre dans L'Eau (although personally I'm not keen, it may be what you are after).

Also try Voyage d'Hermes Parfum, which has a lovely rose note and isn't too heavy.

On me I actually find L'Ombre Dans L'Eau greener/fresher in EDP than EDT, the latter being more tangy and bright. To my nose the EDP fixes an imbalance in the original juice.

Another for L'Ombre Dans L'Eau