Code of Conduct

Default Which Chanel no 5 concentration is the best?

I've been meaning to buy a bottle of the most famous perfume in the world, Chanel no 5, and I've tried them all in the store, but I can't quite decide which concentration I should purchase.

Longevity and projection are important factors but I haven't given any of them enough of a try that I feel I can comment on it, I've heard some say that the pure parfum doesn't last very long? That's the concentration I'm leaning towards, but if another one is stronger/lasts longer, then I'd probably prefer that.

What do you guys thing, which concentration of no 5 is the best?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which Chanel no 5 concentration is the best?

The pure parfum or extrait is best and a few drops last for hours upon hours, but the Eau de Parfum can be sprayed on and lasts a good 6-8 hours or more, depending on your skin chemistry. The Eau de Toilette will only last a few hours at most, but again it depends on your skin chemistry.
    So, after that it's a matter of money and I would recommend the Eau De Parfum that's runs around $150 in most department stores. It gives you the best longevity and sillage for the money.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

As usual, it is a matter of taste. As you've probably seen in other threads, the parfum is crips and clean, the edp is heavier and with a denser amber base, the edt is somewhat inbetween, though more on the light side. Edp and parfum are definitely different, while edt and parfum are, to some extent, somewhat substitutable in the scent profile.

My favorite is the parfum. What I sprayed last year lasted for 8 hrs on me, a lot given that my skin tends to eat perfume. Of course, it is also very expensive. The edt is extremely light on me, to the point that I sometimes use it at the gym. The edp lasts long as well, but, as said, the scent profile is noticeably different, so you shouldn't choose edp over parfum ony because the edp is cheaper and lasts well.

I should also put a good word about the shower gel. Fantastic smell. Not a perfume, it doesn't last, but great feel in the shower. Similarly, the currently discontinued bath oil.

cacio

Impulse bought a 7,5 ml of the parfum today. I expected it to be loud to the point of near-unwearable, but it's not! You're not constantly aware of it but when you get a whiff, it's perfect.

I suspect I'll have to run back and get an edt bottle eventually though, if I wore this everyday it'd break the bank in no time.

Thanks for your help!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I am glad you found the concentration that makes you happy! The EDT is very good to have around as well.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

The first time I smelled no 5 I thought it smelled like a bathroom and couldn't for the life of me understand why people liked it so much. Oh how foolish I was haha. It's really quite stunning.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

You could try layering the EDT over the parfum. Also do try the soap. It makes one look forward to bath time!