Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Affordable Powerhouse Blind Buy - which should I get

So i've got a sudden urge to blind buy a relatively cheap super-masculine / powerhouse scent. Did some research and this the list i came up with. Which one (or maybe 2) do you think I should blind buy?

Yatagan
    Vermeil
    Quorum
    Kouros
    Body Kouros
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Baldessarini by Baldesasarini
    Caron - L'ANARCHISTE

***please note that I own and LOVE the vintage M7, which i think is the only powerhouse / super masculine frag i have, unless you count pure distance M too, which i love. I also tried arso by profumum which i liked. If you have something else that's ideally under $50 that you think i should blind buy over this list for an ultra masculine powerhouse scent let me know! Thanks for your suggestions!
    Last edited by Noodlz; 9th January 2013 at 04:39 AM.
    “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.” - Bruce lee

Default Re: Affordable Powerhouse Blind Buy - which should I get

From your list, Kouros, but I hope you're not blind buying! The 2 Baldessarini frags and Body Kouros are very far from being powerhouse scents. Please take a look at Lapidus PH, Van Cleef and Arpels PH, and Tsar. Also check out Jaques Bogart One Man Show, around $17 online, and about as strong as they come. Unfortunately I've not smelled Yatagan.

I just blind traded for L'anarchiste and I'm really liking it. It's quite a unique frag. I really can't describe it, but I like it. I'm glad I traded for it. I don't have any experience with any of the others your mentioned so my take on them is to go with L'anarchiste.

My favorites in your list are Yatagan and Kouros. Yatagan has an arresting green top (so you need to like green-vegetable) then becomes darker and more woody. Kouros, as much as I like it, is not, repeat, not a blind buy: it has some strong musks. To some people Kouros smells butch and masculine, to others it smells like a urinal.

I would add to your list some of the Aramis/Estee Lauder range. For instance, Aramis 900 (patch resins) and the regular Aramis (butch leather), or even better the sister EL Azuree, which is very close to Aramis, just with a bright citrus top and slightly less musky (and which still comes $40 full price at Macy's counters).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Hm....i guess i won't be picking up yatagan and kouros then, lol. I actually despise green notes for the most part, thanks for the heads up on yatagan =P I'm really curious on the baldessarini ambre since it's got some good words from hiro and kerosene on youtube reviews. From the notes list it sounds like something i'd enjoy (i dig boozy, smoky / tobacco notes).

L'anarchiste is intriguing (i really dig the bottle) but it's the most expensive of the bunch (close to 50 bucks for the 3.4 i think). Can anyone tell me what it smells like? like what kinda notes and what category of frag would it be? the review seems to be allover the place saying its citrus + woods + hints of metallic, blood & mint etc..

One man show is super cheap though. i found it for 12 bucks so i might just pick that up along, haha

If I had to describe L'anarchiste I'd say "metallic cinnamon", I wouldn't consider it a powerhouse. I have a small sample I can send you noodlz.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah that would be totally cool~ Thanks again man! =)

Basenotes Junkie

Kouros or Yatagan from your list.

but my very favorite powerhouse is Chanel Antaeus. Honorable mention goes to Van Cleef and Arpels PH is also very good but not quite as deep and complex as the other three.

I like L'anarchiste, but I've never considered it to be a powerhouse. It smells almost identical to this orange spice potpourri my Mom used to burn. Kinda woody floral and metallic with a big acidic dry orange peel note, but it doesn't last for long at all on my skin. The dry down was unremarkable for such an interesting opening.
    Last edited by 2ndBakeryAttack; 9th January 2013 at 07:50 AM.

Kouros

I am not a fan of anarchiste, which I find the weakest in the Caron masculine lineup. There's something synthetic I don't like (presumably what others call metallic). On top of it though there's a nice baked apple note (with spices - cinnamon as said). You should like it if you like modern fresh sporty masculines and gourmand. But it really doesn't fit the powerhouse genre.

If you don't like Yatagan, in the Caron lineup I recommend Troisieme homme, a fougere with a citrus top note and a barbershoppy vibe.

cacio