Code of Conduct

Default New form of storage (help)

Hello everyone,

So, as my collection is growing, I've gone through a few small boxes that store my fragrances, and now I fear I am running out of room. I actually attached a picture below I took on my phone just now, and I couldn't even get all of the samples out of the way (most of them are in bags now). So, I was wondering if you all could recommend me a relatively cheap way of storing my fragrances?

I've heard exposing them to light is a no-no (unless that's just sunlight?), so I was really trying to figure out what would suit me, since I don't plan on stopping collecting anytime soon. I'm a college student so money is tight, and I can't really afford most of the stuff I see in the "Post Pictures of Your Scents" thread.

Thanks for any help. I don't have any spare drawers or anything to put them in, unfortunately.

--Andrew

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New form of storage (help)

Perhaps if you have a place away from the light, maybe tiered shelving (5 tiers) might work. Pier1 has some good sturdy options.

IKEA has some inexpensive "high cabinents" in the bathroom section.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19894354/

I decided to put them in a tower like drawer container that is plastic. The issue is the drawers since several fragrances fall down. I had to lie a few flat...hopefully they don't leak. This is definitely temporary as I don't like how it looks or how it functions really.

I also use big stackable plastic drawers from the container store. I keep my frags in my dark closet, so I don't care too much about the fact that the drawers are semi-transparent. Plus, I keep the fragrances in the boxes (or have velvet pouches for the vintage that comes without a box. For the samples, which have piled up, I use the white thin carboard boxes, again from the container store. You can also use stackable trays, which you can put in the drawer.

In addition to light, you should keep your frags away from major heat sources, like heat vents or hot lights.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I also use big stackable plastic drawers from the container store. I keep my frags in my dark closet, so I don't care too much about the fact that the drawers are semi-transparent. Plus, I keep the fragrances in the boxes (or have velvet pouches for the vintage that comes without a box. For the samples, which have piled up, I use the white thin carboard boxes, again from the container store. You can also use stackable trays, which you can put in the drawer.

In addition to light, you should keep your frags away from major heat sources, like heat vents or hot lights.

cacio
    Do you have issues with them sliding in and out and falling/domino(ing?) on one another? That seems to be happening to me, but it may just be my particular storage areas.

Also bumping for additional advice.

For the current rotation of fragrances (anything up to about 30 at a time) I've got a shelf in the corner of the bathroom which is away from much light and they live on there.

All of the duplicates that I am stockpiling and the other ones which are in storage for going into the other rotations are stored in a really big spare cool box which has lots of desiccant sachets in (to prevent mould) in the dark and cool of my cellar.

It's not glamorous, but it's the best way I could think of to give them constant cool temperature and protecting them from light.

Basenotes Member

I get the printed boxes from Michaels or ACMoore. A 50% coupon makes them pretty cheap. I then leave them on my dresser. They look nice and bottles are out of the light. I use a large tackle box for my samples. I have alot....

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    For the current rotation of fragrances (anything up to about 30 at a time) I've got a shelf in the corner of the bathroom which is away from much light and they live on there.

All of the duplicates that I am stockpiling and the other ones which are in storage for going into the other rotations are stored in a really big spare cool box which has lots of desiccant sachets in (to prevent mould) in the dark and cool of my cellar.

It's not glamorous, but it's the best way I could think of to give them constant cool temperature and protecting them from light.
    Storing fragrances in the bathroom (if there is a shower I should say) is the worst place there is, since the constant temperature fluctuations damage the juice very easily. I'm sure you knew that and I'm misunderstanding, but if I can save a bottle of fragrance, I figure I'll mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Storing fragrances in the bathroom (if there is a shower I should say) is the worst place there is, since the constant temperature fluctuations damage the juice very easily. I'm sure you knew that and I'm misunderstanding, but if I can save a bottle of fragrance, I figure I'll mention it.
    That's why they're only out in the bathroom while they're on current rotation. Most of my scents spend about a month a year in the bathroom and the rest in storage in the cellar. I literally have nowhere else to store them without either having them in very bright light or over a heater. As it is there's not that much temperature fluctuation in the bathroom because I usually shower at the gym and my partner showers at work, but I recognise that it's not ideal and limit the time they spend there.

The other thing to mention is that none of my scents are expensive and fragile. Nothing has cost more than £40 and most cost less than £20, bought as part used bottles mostly. That's the only way I can afford to even have an interest in scents, and the day I can afford a £100 bottle of scent will be the day that my health miraculously improves and I'm no longer on very little money (and I no longer have a mortgage!).