Code of Conduct

Default Cotswold by Dukes of Pall Mall...

...is my favorite aftershave, hands down. It's got such a beautiful white floral note to it I will even pass on an EdT to enjoy it unadulterated. and it does have good longevity for an AS. My Taylor Sandalwood is meanwhile gathering dust, as are English Blazer and Sport de Paco Rabanne (that's summer only anyway).

ANYWAY: I have not been able to find out more about Dukes of Pall Mall and their history which, being a historian, just will not suffice. I do not even know whether this is a genuine old school firm or a more recent "imitation" of that (such as Crabtree). Is there actually a Dukes store on Pall Mall (there's an address on the packet)? British Basenoters desperately urged for information

I'd also like to hear whether "Belgravia" is equally great
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Cotswold by Dukes of Pall Mall...

My Dear Good Life,
    Wonderful to hear of someone else who appreciates the excellent Cotswold by Dukes of Pall Mall. It is certainly one of my favourite citrus fragrances. Some years ago I had a bottle of it in cologne form - even nicer. Now all I have is two bottles of the aftershave, but even Cotswold aftershave seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth.
    I suspect the company Dukes of Pall Mall has now gone out of business, so like so many small fine perfumiers. As for the mythical Belgravia by Dukes of Pall Mall (erroneously identified as 'Grosvenor by Dukes of Pall Mall' by the Baron de Charlus in a recent review on Etienne Aigner), I have only ever heard of it, never sampled nor even seen a bottle of it advertised.

Ohmygod
    the elusive master artisan of perfume reviews, the ghost in the basenotes machine has spoken...in reply to my post. What an honor. Owed no doubt but to the gravity of the topic, the mystery that is Dukes! It's enough for me to break my vow of silence, just this once, before returning to the dungeon of the self that is the author's fate as the deadline approaches.

But to cut through the bathos: perhaps some London basenoter could find out whether this store still exists (the address is/was Pall Mall 46-47). It would be sad indeed if they had become another victim of delocalized taste. I must also ruefully admit, that I once saw a bottle of Belgravia Aftershave for sale on ebay.uk...and hesitated. Thankfully, my Cotswold reserve will last me for some time at least.

Either way, a toast to Dukes of Pall Mall!

the_good_life (wearing the breathtakingly beautiful & discontinued Vendetta pour homme by Valentino)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

*Gasp*!

He's real !!
    -

There seem to be quite a few bottles of Cotswold going very cheap on Ebay-UK. No sign of Belgravia though.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Unfortunately I can't find any listing for a building located at 46-47 Pall Mall, apart from a mention of No46 being an annex of the Army and navy Club.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...p?compid=40581

This is what I could find for past buildings at No46.....

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...ompid=40580#s8

Barry
    Last edited by Prince Barry; 22nd January 2007 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    This is what I could find for past buildings at No46.....

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...ompid=40580#s8

Barry
    Great research Barry - and damn, I can't believe they closed the Cocoa Tree Club! Sounds like a cross between the Atheneum and a tiki bar.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

It is a pity isn't it Michael. Not to worry though, there are plenty of other splendid places in the St James's area. Pity about the perfumery too.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    *Gasp*!

He's real !!
    Now all we need is for yrrej_siwel to come out from hiding and we've got a mating pair!!

There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

I thought I'd bump this rather than start a new thread. As papers become digitized, new material pops up on the net, as this announcement regarding the insolvency of Dukes in 1990 and a petition to wind up the company. Evidently the name/firm was then bought up by Terence Reville and moved to Middlesex (the phase my bottle of Belgravia harks from), becoming Pall Mall Perfumeries Ltd., incorporated Oct. 20, 2004 and apparently still active in 2008 (but where is the product?)Their current location is in a residential area, i.e. looks like a private home - also the address of a trade mark consultancy?! I'll have to try to contact somebody there...
    My Wardrobe

Very interesting. You were able to dig up quite a lot more than I could. I wonder... aside from colognes... what else they sold? Shavesoap? Shaving cream?
    Regards,
    Jani

"It is easy to find something to die for. What do you have to live for?"
    The First One.

T_G_L
    That certainly looks like a residential address in Stanmore, however it may be a small industrial unit.
    It is about 5-6 miles from my house, I could drive up and have a look sometime.
    Maybe if you could attempt to contact them, I could follow up?

Is there any evidence that Pall Mall perfumeries is linked to Dukes?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks to a very kind Basenoter taking pity on an impoverished prince, I have had the chance to sniff bo2h Belgravia and Cotswold. Love at first sniff. Wish I could locate full bottles of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to a very kind Basenoter taking pity on an impoverished prince, I have had the chance to sniff bo2h Belgravia and Cotswold. Love at first sniff. Wish I could locate full bottles of them.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove