Code of Conduct

Thread: Illuminum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Illuminum

Lucky Scent has started carrying this brand recently and I thought a couple of their offerings (Piper Leather & Wild Tobacco) sounded like they might be worth a try. Then I found out that the perfumer is the same guy as the one who created Boadacia the Victorious (Michael Boadi). I sampled several from that house and wasn't impressed, so I'm not sure whether to bother with Illuminum. Isn't it also a bit odd for him to start another company instead of just adding these fragrances to his already existing brand?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Illuminum

I sample like 20 scents from the Boadacia the Victorious. I'm expecting more of the same and I'm not going to waste money or time sampling from another mediocre line.

I received some of their samples from Lucky Scent with my last purchase. Can't remember which ones, but personally wasn't impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

^ Sorry to hear that. I had hopes for the tobacco scent. Blind buy is looking out of the question now.

Sometimes a new line can offer a good perfumer different parameters and opportunities, so they can move in a different direction. For that reason it might be prudent to try something that was done under different constraints and whatnot. But ultimately, if you don't like anything from a certain perfumer in one line, it's unlikely that a different line is going to work. I've only tried one thing from the original line, and it was unremarkable relative to Lorenzo Villoresi, so I'm not thinking this new line is likely to blow me away.

Glad I read this because they have quite a few bottles that I thought looked interesting on lucky scent. I might go ahead and not sample them unless I read something positive about them in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Came across the Illuminum line stocked by a JOVOY who prides themselves in stocking rare perfumes.

I was curious and wanted to smell the Kate Middleton wedding scent.

The SA thought that I might take to one in particular Illuminum's Leather & Wild Tobacco. Skin sampled it and walked out the shop with a couple of samples for complete wear testing. Its rather unique BUT would I buy a bottle? Not too sure as other scents spring immediately to mind for acquisition priority.

Asked for 2 samples with my recent Luckyscent order ... Piper Leather and Wild Tobacco. I thought Piper Leather sucked. Wild Tobacco reminded me a lot of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille but with much shorter longevity. I grew to dislike TV because of the honey note and Wild Tobacco has the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    I thought Piper Leather sucked.
    That's a good summation - I wasn't sure it even existed @ ALL.
    There is light with ridiculous not far behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I just sampled a few of these and thought I'd report back.

Piper Leather: My favorite of the three, but there are leathers i like better (esp. Cuir Ottoman) and there are peppery fragrances I like better (Piper Nigrum, Bang). So, at $140/50ml, I don't see this as a purchase right now.

Wild Tobacco: Tobacco & Chocolate to my nose. A bit too gourmand for my taste.

Tribal Black Tea: A fairly literal tea fragrance. I prefer the more abstract Tea for Two from L'Artisan if I want a tea-dominant fragrance.

One more fragrance house I don't feel the need to revisit, although I probably will give Piper Leather a second chance again later.

I am also interested in this line. I enjoy the Wild Tobacco and Piper Leather so far. I did not detect too much sweetness in the tobacco as some have.

Has anyone else tried any more of this line?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Tried Wild Tobacco, Scarlet Oud, Ginger Pear and Rajamusk. I can't detect any sweetness from Wild Tobacco either. Awaiting Piper Leather at the mo.

Would like to try Arabian Amber and Tribal Black Tea next though.

Post Thanks / Like

Jergens lotion original has a cherry almond smell. I hope these other fragrances do better than that.