Code of Conduct

Default I'm officially a perfume addict!

The world of perfume has been such a wonderful exploration over the last several months, but when I woke up this morning the true realization set in. I am a perfume addict.

The alarm had not yet gone off nor were the covers pushed back, but I had the overwhelming craving for the scent of Ambre 114. Yesterday it was Lyric Woman. I'm no longer deciding my daily scent - it seems to be choosing me!

Am I going crazy or am I just...addicted?

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: I'm officially a perfume addict!

Addiction requires that there is not only an overwhelming compulsion, but that this compulsion is actually harmful to you in some way. Is it? Same with insanity. If it's not doing you or anyone else any harm, it is simply an intoxicatingly pleasurable indulgence. Ain't nuthin wrong with that!

Enjoy the habit!....Smile

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Addiction requires that there is not only an overwhelming compulsion, but that this compulsion is actually harmful to you in some way. Is it? Same with insanity. If it's not doing you or anyone else any harm, it is simply an intoxicatingly pleasurable indulgence. Ain't nuthin wrong with that!
    No compulsion here, doc, just having a bit of fun. I think that it's better said that I finally "get it."
    But it's true that I woke up craving those scents!

There's people on this site that own thousands upon thousands of bottles. It can always be worse.

Yowza, how do I get myself out of this one? This was meant to be a fun post. I'm not addicted to buying perfume, but I finally get the allure of appreciating a scent that is perfect for the day. So much so that I don't have to even think about what to wear. I'm just drawn to something. Just saw it as a positive step in understanding this whole, fragrant world.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Am I going crazy or am I just...addicted?
    Join the hordes!

Banned
    Blog Entries

As long as the hobby doesn't put you in debt or distract you from your family, it's a benign addiction.

The issue of sanity is a whole different topic and will require an expansive amount of discussion to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Yowza, how do I get myself out of this one? This was meant to be a fun post. I'm not addicted to buying perfume, but I finally get the allure of appreciating a scent that is perfect for the day. So much so that I don't have to even think about what to wear. I'm just drawn to something. Just saw it as a positive step in understanding this whole, fragrant world.
    A perfect expression of the fun of this hobby! Do not worry! Scent is a powerful sense, and the exploration of it is harmless and wonderful at the same time. Scents that draw you in, well...enjoy the ride!

CologneFan85

I can talk about fragrances for hours!

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Enjoy the habit!....Smile
    Yup!

I have a sneaky suspicion you're more than a perfume addict though. Do you enjoy the bread aisle in a grocery store? Do you enjoy the different smells of the seasons, outdoors? I bet you do, and I think that's awesome.

I had a date last night and she complimented me on Fahrenheit. This lead to a really neat conversation about all kinds of smells. It started with the oddly enjoyable smell of gasoline, and then smells from different times and travels... and then I fetched my box of fragrance samples. It was so much fun! SO! MUCH! FUN!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Yup!

I have a sneaky suspicion you're more than a perfume addict though. Do you enjoy the bread aisle in a grocery store? Do you enjoy the different smells of the seasons, outdoors? I bet you do, and I think that's awesome.

I had a date last night and she complimented me on Fahrenheit. This lead to a really neat conversation about all kinds of smells. It started with the oddly enjoyable smell of gasoline, and then smells from different times and travels... and then I fetched my box of fragrance samples. It was so much fun! SO! MUCH! FUN!
    And I thought I was the only one with a strange fascination with the smell of gasoline! LOL. As a kid I loved rolling down the window when we were at the gas station, just so I could catch a whiff. My Mom found my habit quite disturbing though.

And of course, all the other wonderful scents in the world. The smell of my favorite ethnic restaurants that tease & entice as soon as I walk in the door, the scent that clings to the air after a cleansing rain, the glorious smell of a new car & the cozy scent from a crackling fire in the fireplace. I love them all & the memories they hold!

Discovering the scents I love enough to wear has become such a wonderful passion. I think docluv45 summed it up quite nicely. "... it is simply an intoxicatingly pleasurable indulgence."

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Enjoying nice smells is nothing stranger than say enjoying the sight of a beautiful scenery. The good thing about olfactory fragrance is it is rather accessible. I might have cravings for beautiful sunsets...but that's not within my my locus of control. Looking at pictures of sunset is not quite the same.

Good for you, Jeanie! It's just like enjoying fine food and wines!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

But not addicted to tuberose or gardenia right? hehe.. Amber I can understand though!

Lol, well sometimes one gets things they don't want for Christmas and I got something I would never ever use and really didn't like and well, admittedly, I decided to celebrate Boxing Day recently and got some perfume instead. Hey, happy belated x-mas to me! Haha, but if I am asked about the the gift..mmmm, what can I say? It just wasn't me and perfume was so..sorry? lol. I guess that is what Boxing Day is for, to get the gifts you really wanted I guess. My husband knew the gifts I didn't like, which were only a couple, even when I think I am being like really cool and nice about the gift..he knows me. He's like, I knew you didn't like that one..or why did anyone get you that? They must not know you. Lol. He understands.
    Last edited by kalli; 11th January 2013 at 08:58 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.