Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which house makes the best male perfumes? Quantity and quality should factor in to your response.

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bond No.9

2 1.90%
  • Chanel

8 7.62%
  • Comme des Garcons

6 5.71%
  • Creed

32 30.48%
  • Dior

17 16.19%
  • Guerlain

20 19.05%
  • Serge Lutens

7 6.67%
  • Other

13 12.38%

Default Who makes best male perfumes?

Which house offers the best selection of "for male" fragrances? Variety and quality should factor in to your response.
    Last edited by Roper-Hall; 10th January 2013 at 12:53 PM.

CologneFan85

Default Re: Who makes best male perfumes?

Bond No 9, Creed and YSL in my opinion. But Bond No 9 does have a HUGE selection that are very much different from one another for the most part.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

If quantity and quality come into factor then I vote for Creed, though there quality may waiver somewhat from what I understand. ie. from batch to batch
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Very subjective. Perhaps Guerlain

Indeed, quite subjective... but Bogart, in my limited experience.

It all comes down to whatever you like but Creed is my fav, very versatile.

----------------------------------------------
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to go with Creed. Minus the batch issues.

Good grief. Many others - Lorenzo Villoresi, YSL, Azzaro, Aramis, Slumberhouse, MPG, Givenchy, ... I could go on and on.

Creed will probably win, but it's only by default. Serge Lutens should wind up in second place, given the options, but there are so many other great houses out there for male perfumes!

My vote was for Dior, house with a variety of men's fragrances of excellent quality. But I also think that Guerlain and Chanel are on par with the first.

Creed. Bond No. 9 and Dior can be seen in Creed's rear-view mirror, but the others are too far back to be seen.

Chanel would be a consideration, but their men's offerings are too few.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Going by the wardrobe, Creed.

I voted for other = Givenchy or YSL. If I had to choose from that list (except 'other') I would probably go for Creed first and Dior second.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Armani Prive' Nuances,
    Armani Prive' Bois d'Encens, Ermenegildo Zegna Indonesian Oud, Essenza de Zegna, Amouage Beloved Man, Fahrenheit Le Parfum, Dior La Collection Couturier Vetiver, and Rasikh Syed Junaid Alam.

Strictly male in the sociological way? Chanel.
    Otherwise for mind that are liberty, Serge Lutens.

for swap/sale:

CologneFan85

I feel that Bond has the big Variety

Impossible to answer. And pointless.

I had to go with Creed as well. No question about it.

I haven't really tried any Dior yet? I would say that I generally like sweet subtle scents, nothing headache inducing or loud. Which of their fragrances should I try out?

Quote Originally Posted by CASUAL View Post
    I haven't really tried any Dior yet? I would say that I generally like sweet subtle scents, nothing headache inducing or loud. Which of their fragrances should I try out?
    I would highly recommend you try Dior Homme Sport (try to sample both the 2008 and 2012 versions - similar, but have slightly different notes).

Dior Homme Intense may or may not be something you like. Not loud or headache inducing, but some feel it is a little feminine, while others think it is the greatest fragrance ever created.

You may want to avoid Fahrenheit and Leather Oud.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I had to go with DIOR. Fahrenheit; DH & DHI, Dune pour Homme.

CHANEL is a close follow up with especially Égoïste and Antaeus.
    Chanel has a small male offering, but let's face it; they're all good!

Creed is really far ahead to me.
    Nearly each of their scent is applealing to me, even after years...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I have a theory, and am conducting research to support or defeat my theory. I will make my point after the poll closes. I believe that polls on basenotes are carried out for many reasons: discussion of a point, self-education, market research, etc. However, besides having a discussion of the issue being polled, I think it is important to see the results before drawing conclusions.

I really do think the poll can be answered by anyone who wishes to respond, especially since there is a choice of "other".
    Thanks for looking.

I voted for Guerlain's "masculines," although I believe that all scent is genderless. On the whole, I think Serge Lutens makes the most unisex scents in you list.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Agree.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Creed; but if you take value for money into account, it would go to Dior.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I voted for Guerlain's "masculines," although I believe that all scent is genderless. On the whole, I think Serge Lutens makes the most unisex scents in you list.
    You make an interesting point when you write "all scent is genderless". I wonder if this is the goal of modern perfumers in general: to make perfumes that are genderless? Have perfumes become scents that appeal to most of the people most of the time? Looking back at the truly unique and inspiring perfumes of the last 100 years, I ask myself if the perfumer was indeed striving to make unisex juices, or did the overwhelming quality of a perfume appeal across gender lines?

Thanks for looking.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Agree.
    The question maybe difficult to consider objectively, but is not impossible to answer. See my reply to Spoombung's post above.

Thanks for looking.

Creed Aventus and GIT is god sent formula for men who love attention.

The Creed house has something for every possible situation. They cover all the bases very well IMO.

Overcome By Fumes

I have not yet found a fragrance with chromosomes, so in a purely literal sense, none.

The only perfumes I've come across that have the hint of a penis are made by Gaulthier, so this might be the best answer.

My guess is that you mean those marketed for men and boys, and as some companies market almost all their fragrances to a specific sex and some make many fragrances which are marketed to everyone, there may be a bias inherent in the question asked.

I voted as if you meant the latter, which I believe was your actual intent.

It's also unclear if you mean, the greatest number of good perfumes, or the average quality of all the fragrances marketed to men by that company, or comparing say people's top 1, 2, 5, or x fragrances by a certain company marketed to men. Different answers could result from people interpreting this differently.
    Last edited by docluv45; 10th January 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Other = YSL
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I have not yet found a fragrance with chromosomes, so in a purely literal sense, none.

The only perfumes I've come across that have the hint of a penis are made by Gaulthier, so this might be the best answer.

My guess is that you mean those marketed for men and boys, and as some companies market almost all their fragrances to a specific sex and some make many fragrances which are marketed to everyone, there may be a bias inherent in the question asked.

I voted as if you meant the latter, which I believe was your actual intent.

It's also unclear if you mean, the greatest number of good perfumes, or the average quality of all the fragrances marketed to men by that company, or comparing say people's top 1, 2, 5, or x fragrances by a certain company marketed to men. Different answers could result from people interpreting this differently.
    You raise very good points docluv. Firstly, when I look at the fragrances listed in most databases, including the directory here at Basenotes, they all seem to reference a gender to which the perfume is directed,e.g feminine, masculine, unisex. So although I agree that gender is not inherent to a fragrance, there seems to be some basis for assigning a target gender.

My intent is to elicit your opinion on which of the houses that I listed makes the greatest number of excellent perfumes, that are directed specifically to the male user. The subjectivity of determining what is an "excellent" perfume is part of the question, but we all express this opinion frequently here on the forums. So if you feel that of the, let's say, 12 masculines that Creed offers only 6 are truly excellent, and then consider that, let's say, of the 8 masculines that Lutens makes, all are excellent, then you would undoubtedly vote for Lutens.

Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I had to go with Creed as well. No question about it.
    I agree 100%. Creed is King.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Creed; but if you take value for money into account, it would go to Dior.
    Agree with first part. I'd swap Dior for YSL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I agree 100%. Creed is King.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with first part. I'd swap Dior for YSL.

BTW, your original question was very clear. Some people are way too precious for their own good.

Overcome By Fumes

Ah, but what if you felt that 8 of 12 fragrances by one company were excellent, while 6 of 8 of another company were also excellent, while all 5 of the next company's fragrances marketed to men were excellent? Simply adding up the number of excellent perfumes that a company makes would skew the results toward the company making the most fragrances overall, without taking into account the average quality. I'd tend to think that a company that makes 100% excellent fragrances would be favored by some people over one that made a great number but was hit or miss.

Or if I really want to confuse myself, what if three companies make 10 fragrances marketed to men, and company A makes 3 excellent ones, 3 pretty good ones and 4 terrible ones; company B makes 2 excellent ones but 7mediocre ones and 1 terrible one; and company C makes 4 excellent ones but 6 terrible ones. I'm guessing you want a gestalt, and I'm overanalyzing, but different people applying different criteria might choose different companies in such a case.

I'm interested for you to reveal your hypothesis.
    Last edited by docluv45; 12th January 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Ah, but what if you felt that 8 of 12 fragrances by one company were excellent, while 6 of 8 of another company were also excellent, while all 5 of the next company's fragrances marketed to men were excellent? Simply adding up the number of excellent perfumes that a company makes would skew the results toward the company making the most fragrances overall, without taking into account the average quality. I'd tend to think that a company that makes 100% excellent fragrances would be favored by some people over one that made a great number but was hit or miss.

Or if I really want to confuse myself, what if three companies make 10 fragrances marketed to men, and company A makes 3 excellent ones, 3 pretty good ones and 4 terrible ones; company B makes 2 excellent ones but 7mediocre ones and 1 terrible one; and company C makes 4 excellent ones but 6 terrible ones. I'm guessing you want a gestalt, and I'm overanalyzing, but different people applying different criteria might choose different companies in such a case.

I'm interested for you to reveal your hypothesis.
    I am polling to discover which house, of the ones mentioned, the Basenotes community believes makes the most, best, "for male" perfumes. So if one of these houses happens to make 3x as many scents as any other on the list (or not on the list, hence other), and happens to also make 3x as many subjectively excellent juices, then I would expect the vote to go to this house. Quality is a factor in so far as it helps to define excellence; number is a factor in so far as it helps to define the consistency of a house to develop fine fragrances dependably and reliably.

So, although one house make may make only 5 male fragrances, all of which are excellent, and another house makes 25 of which 15 are excellent, then the vote would have to be given to the second house.

As to any houses which make terrible perfumes, well I can only hope that I haven't included them in my survey.

Thanks for your comments.

Creed
    Dior
    Bvlgari

I can't answer this question. CDG has only one scent clearly marketed to males (CDG2Man), Serge Lutens probably none...a bit pointless...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Giorgio Armani b/c of Acqua Di Gio alone, but ADG Essenza and Code Ultimate are also fantastic.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

...Guerlain, by far...!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I can't answer this question. CDG has only one scent clearly marketed to males (CDG2Man), Serge Lutens probably none...a bit pointless...
    I find that rather interesting, don't you?

Thanks for looking.

Banned

Its good question:-)

Because no one can tell me that a scent of jasmine or rose:-) does not evoke feminine feelings and scent of amber,leather or woods masculine, so this thread turned into countless one of discovering if scents have gender or not:-)
    NO scents dont have gender but our noses and brains do have , so apologies to everyone but to my nose Sacrebleu or Fracas is 100 % feminine fragrance and Azzaro 100% masculine

And to answer the question i have only tested almost all Amouages, their scents for men fall so much behind the one marketed for women:-) . Then Chanel Exclusifs EDTs, i think the best of the line is Sycomore and is great masculine fragrance, the 28 La pausa also leans to the masculine side, Cuir de russie too,so would dare to say they make better masculine and unisex then female perfumes! those are better then Beige Gardenia, or no 22.

Guerlain, vintage, makes perfect unisex fragrances to me:-) and beautiful male!

CDG i would say offers great unisex too,,but lean more on masculine vibe

and Serge Lutens i think makes great things for both sexes equally,but like feminine one much better

So the winner would be, quality,and wearabilty, and availability : Chanel !

Although i can wear anything i like, but i would never wear masculine scent every day, i just dont feel like that:-) i did use 25 ml of Timbuktu last winter:-) hehe
    Last edited by iivanita; 12th January 2013 at 09:16 PM.

This could easily go to Creed or Dior. Personally, I think Creed does.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Almost anyone one this list, also with honorable mentions in favor of YSL and Hermes.

How the **** does Guerlain get more votes than Dior?

Come on Guys!
    It is Guerlain by far!
    I m yet to come across a guerlain scent and I go pooooo!

Never.

Mitsoku & Shalimar are just something out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Creed. Bond No. 9 and Dior can be seen in Creed's rear-view mirror, but the others are too far back to be seen.

Chanel would be a consideration, but their men's offerings are too few.

So Guerlain and YSL are not even to be seen in Creed's rear view mirror?
    That's interesting.
    I don't know why the OP didn't just write:
    Creed currently make 15 male scents!!!!
    (Or whatever the number is.)

- - - Updated - - -

I've just realised this is nearly 3 months old.
    So come on OP, don't keep us in suspense like this. Let's hear the results of your sociological research....

Amouage deserves to be in the list, high quality perfume imo.

In this rough order
    1)Creed
    2) Dior
    3) Thierry Mugler
    4) guerlain
    5) YSL
    6) giorgio armani
    7) Chanel

Guerlain, Yves Saint Laurent, Dior, Caron,...

Basenotes Plus

Fabergé.

strange
    LOST! in scent and music