Code of Conduct

Default Memoir Man (a personal quarrel)

I know fragrance is a personal thing, but I've been searching and searching for just the right incense fragrance, and after sampling Full Incense, Kyoto, Avignon, etc., I've come to realize that the first one I ever smelled was perhaps the best: Memoir Man.

I'm trying to justify the price (I can get it on MIN's site for $208...100mL) versus the CdG's. If I were to buy it, I may have to change plans with the other stuff I want to buy with holiday money (no MDCI discovery set), but it just seems better than the others. I admit there is a decent handful of pepper in there, but I think incense needs that sort of thing. Avignon seemed bland to me (this is only after one wearing, so no offense to those who love it), Kyoto was really nice (but didn't last), and FI I've only smelled and not worn yet, but that's not the point (smelled...fine).

I guess this is turning into a "tell me what you think of the situation before I purchase it" thread, which I personally don't like, but meh.

Any thoughts? I could use some direction. I figure I'll wait until I try the Slumberhouse samples I have, but I do have the cash for one of those and this.

Default Re: Memoir Man (a personal quarrel)

I love incense fragrances. Memoir Man is in my "top 5" for incense fragrances for sure, so I would recommend a purchase of it (MCDI can wait! lol).

I think $208 is a pretty good price. It is very long lasting so you wouldn't need to apply very often throughout the day, so 100ml should last you a long time! I would get the MM now, and push the others on your wish list back.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I love incense fragrances. Memoir Man is in my "top 5" for incense fragrances for sure, so I would recommend a purchase of it (MCDI can wait! lol).

I think $208 is a pretty good price. It is very long lasting so you wouldn't need to apply very often throughout the day, so 100ml should last you a long time! I would get the MM now, and push the others on your wish list back.
    It lasts insanely long on my skin. I spray two sprays of the official sample vial and I get nearly 24 hours of detectable smell with easily 12+ hours of projection.

Thanks for the advice by the way.

If you like it and you wont hurt your wallet...rock on. Just thought I would twist your arm a little

With the 20% discount bringing it down to $208 with free shipping and no tax if you don't live in New York, if you like it that much it, I'd get it.

It's a great scent and a great price, I recommend you go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    It's a great scent and a great price, I recommend you go for it.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    With the 20% discount bringing it down to $208 with free shipping and no tax if you don't live in New York, if you like it that much it, I'd get it.
    Is there a standard code for Basenoters that gives 20% off, similar to Fragrancent? Or is this something else?

Not a standard code for Basenoters similar to Fragrancenet - different.

Its definitely great, my 2nd favorite Amouage, but I prefer Jubilation XXV for incense. Also like Avignon and Timbuktu by Bertrand Duchaufour.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It IS indeed a wonderfully evolving, long-lasting fragrance. Too bad you weren't around when I offered to sell a new 100 ml Memoir Man for $199. $208 shipped is a great deal; I say go for it.

Go with the Memoir. It's totally killer, it's versatile, it's good in all seasons, you won't regret it, go Memoir. Do it.

Memoir Man is overpriced.

Get rather Epic.

Get it, you won't regret your choice. That said, I strongly urge you to restest Avignon which is anything but bland.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I know fragrance is a personal thing, but I've been searching and searching for just the right incense fragrance, and after sampling Full Incense, Kyoto, Avignon, etc., I've come to realize that the first one I ever smelled was perhaps the best: Memoir Man.

I'm trying to justify the price (I can get it on MIN's site for $208...100mL) versus the CdG's. If I were to buy it, I may have to change plans with the other stuff I want to buy with holiday money (no MDCI discovery set), but it just seems better than the others. I admit there is a decent handful of pepper in there, but I think incense needs that sort of thing. Avignon seemed bland to me (this is only after one wearing, so no offense to those who love it), Kyoto was really nice (but didn't last), and FI I've only smelled and not worn yet, but that's not the point (smelled...fine).

I guess this is turning into a "tell me what you think of the situation before I purchase it" thread, which I personally don't like, but meh.

Any thoughts? I could use some direction. I figure I'll wait until I try the Slumberhouse samples I have, but I do have the cash for one of those and this.
    I feel for you as I was in the same situation. I love incense in church, so I struggled to find a good enough scent. I also got sent to CdG and hated them all (sorry!). After sampling Epic Man, I was taken. I got 10% off the RRP from Harrods and so I ordered a large bottle. Didn't regret it for one minute. Definitely look around for some good deals though. I've found Amouages at discount stores as well and they were very tempting!

I had tried the MDCI (IB I think) previously and thought nothing of it. So that was an easy choice for me. I think you can't go wrong with Amouage. OK, some of their scents are just too strong, others are just OK, but the quality of their incense is definitely worth owning at whatever the cost.

NB: I'm not enticing you to get Epic. This was for me the better Amouage as I liked Frankincense and Myrrh as well. Memoir was a little too strong for my liking, although I didn't have much time to decide.

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to mention Timbuktu. I really like this scent and think it too has a good incense note. However, there is something else in it that makes me hold it at arm's length. Not sure what, but it is a tad too sweet and so I opted against a full bottle.

Epic Man > Memoir Man. Imho.

I'd pay triple the price for Epic but there's a dominant note in Memoir Man that i just can't get on with.
    Last edited by Tropics; 10th January 2013 at 11:24 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

I love Memoir Man and is actually wearing it today. I'd say get it - life's too short to regret not getting something that makes you (and others, presumably) feel good.

MDCI can wait. Yes, Invasion Barbare is a whole land slide of epic goodness, but it'll be around for a while, while this offer (as I understood it) is only available for a limited time.

Thank you all for the great advice. As for epic man, while I really dig that cherry undertone, I can't see myself owning it because it is just a little too foreign/middle eastern smelling for my taste (nothing wrong with that, but just not for me). I will revisit some of these other frags for sure, but in the search for a way to spend some of my Christmas money, I think memoir may be the right choice....I'm also a sucker for their bottle design (probably my favorite of any house I've seen). I love the smell of wormwood too in the opening.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 10th January 2013 at 12:41 PM.

wish i liked memoir man as i could get a 50ml bottle for £56, unfortunately i find it the worst thing i have smelled to date lol..

Thank you all for the great advice. As for epic man, while I really dig that cherry undertone, I can't see myself owning it because it is just a little too foreign/middle eastern smelling for my taste (nothing wrong with that, but just not for me). I will revisit some of these other frags for sure, but in the search for a way to spend some of my Christmas money, I think memoir may be the right choice....I'm also a sucker for their bottle design (probably my favorite of any house I've seen). I love the smell of wormwood too in the opening.
    As I said I'm not trying to lure you away from one Amouage and onto another, but I was going to say that Epic (Man) is actually quite 'westernised' even for my tastes. I think there was something in Memoir (that's the recent one, right?) that felt too oriental for me. YMMV of course, but just thought I'd point this out. Epic was more soapy to my nose.

Totally agree with you on the bottle designs though! The packaging, the really heavy lid/cap, the vibrant bottle colours and the velvet-like fabric inside the box. Just pure class!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    As I said I'm not trying to lure you away from one Amouage and onto another, but I was going to say that Epic (Man) is actually quite 'westernised' even for my tastes. I think there was something in Memoir (that's the recent one, right?) that felt too oriental for me. YMMV of course, but just thought I'd point this out. Epic was more soapy to my nose.

Totally agree with you on the bottle designs though! The packaging, the really heavy lid/cap, the vibrant bottle colours and the velvet-like fabric inside the box. Just pure class!!!
    Might I add, EPIC is just sheer class. Smells of cash to me. The bottle design is great and the scent is just versatile all year round scent. It never really gets very hot in Britain anyway but it's nice. And I bought it blind and no regrets.

Where can I get this at that price?

Sound Scents

I didn't like it at all, but I think it was more a skin reaction to the wormwood with me more than anything else... That said, the only person's opinion of it that matters in this equation is *yours* and you love it. I think your nose should lead you to the right choice and it sounds like Memoir Man is it. Good luck and enjoy!
    Last edited by drseid; 10th January 2013 at 04:51 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    wish i liked memoir man as i could get a 50ml bottle for £56, unfortunately i find it the worst thing i have smelled to date lol..
    Can I ask where?

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Might I add, EPIC is just sheer class. Smells of cash to me. The bottle design is great and the scent is just versatile all year round scent. It never really gets very hot in Britain anyway but it's nice. And I bought it blind and no regrets.
    I am not going to argue with you on that. 😀 Epic has become a favourite in recent weeks. I've only worn it 5 times or so!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I am not going to argue with you on that. �� Epic has become a favourite in recent weeks. I've only worn it 5 times or so!
    My pain is that I don't find occasions easily to wear this. It smells truly epic.

Can you share where ?
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kielecki View Post
    Can you share where ?
    MIN New York. If you use a coupon code (luxismin) you get 20% off.

MIN New York. If you use a coupon code (luxismin) you get 20% off.
    Thank you!!!
    Just purchased Epic as I already have Memoir, jubilation and Interlude
    Now I feel I have all 4 of the best from Amouage

I feel for you since you aren't digging Avignon. I really wish you would re-sample it and I am sure you will appreciate this as the masterpiece that it is in my eyes.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Thematt202 View Post
    Can I ask where?
    pm sent..

Sorry to bump this, but I thought I'd let everyone who helped me out know that I did in fact buy Memoir Man. I am so happy to finally own an Amouage.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Do you know if that coupon code (luxismin) is for any fragrances on their site, or just Amouage? Do you know when it expires?
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase!

Do you know if that coupon code (luxismin) is for any fragrances on their site, or just Amouage? Do you know when it expires?
    I think it is for everything on site as long as it is your first order (to my understanding), and it shouldn't expire unless they stop accepting it randomly.

I think it is for everything on site as long as it is your first order (to my understanding), and it shouldn't expire unless they stop accepting it randomly.
    Thanks!
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Sorry to bump this, but I thought I'd let everyone who helped me out know that I did in fact buy Memoir Man. I am so happy to finally own an Amouage.
    Excellent choice! Enjoy it.