Code of Conduct

Default SOTD Thursday 10 January 2013

What!? Almost midday in the UK and no sotd?? Am I missing something?

Allow me ...

Hermes Rocabar. Bought this as a Christmas present for my husband, but stealing a little for my own use today. He’ll never notice.

Hope everyone is well. Best wishes to all.

Default Re: SOTD Thursday 10 January 2013

Bonjour!
    Montale ~ Aoud Purple Rose

Morning All,

Thanks for doing the honours, devilcat.

I'm off to India tonight for a week-and-a-bit (for work) - it's been nearly a decade since I was last there, so I'm looking forward to seeing the place again. As it will be hot in the north, I've packed decants of Eau de Guerlain, Acqua di Colonia, Eau de Patou, Bel Respiro etc. For the flight though, I'll be wearing Mouchoir de Monsieur.

Take care and catch y'all in a while.
    Best to everyone.

Felt like something fresh.

Bulgari Au the blanc

Banned

Montale Aoud Cuir d Arabie this is coat fragrance! its so so perfect on fabrics!

and Ubar on skin

i tried Comme des Garcons 2 for men...... amazing is that this light structure has so much character and originality in it!

G. have a nice trip and week in India!

hello to all forgott to say

Basenotes Plus

Gandhajala, safe travels. I hope you will be able to get in a bit of recreation time while there. India is on my short list (a very long one, in actuality) of places I hope to visit someday.

SOTD is rich, luscious Chopard Casmir. Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello all. Prada Candy.
    DONNA

Enjoy your galivanting G. Hope you unearth some treasures whilst you're there.

Day 10 of my "90 days of diefferent scents from my own collection" quest. Today is Tom Ford for EL Youth Dew Amber Nude which I absolutely adore. Resinous, dry, slightly bitter like it's mama but with all the rough edges removed.

Bon Voyage G. Have a wonderful trip.

Well, there seems to have been some talk of Samsara, so I dug out an old, neglected bottle, and LO! I like it.

Good morning, everyone!

I'm in the very first glorious sprays of one of my own new-old-stock bottles of vintage-90s No19 edp, as I recently used the last of my 80s stuff ...and it's precisely times like these that make me so glad I hoard certain fragrances, validate my hoarding tendencies and ultimately reinforce that I'm not just a crazy, obsessive hoarder.

gandhajala - what fun! Have a safe journey, a wonderful time, eat heaps, and I'll look forward to your return and your report! xoxo
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Thursday 10 January 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Safe travels, my friend! Have a great trip and enjoy! I will sure miss your presence here.
    Douce Amere... plenty of today.
    Where is Wolfie really? I have wondered myself.

Yeah, where's Wolfie?

Rochas Man

Toujours Fidele by Fragonard

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hugs to ((Wolfie)) wherever you are! Probably just really busy-- hopefully not sick?

I am wearing Highness Rose from a decant. This one lies low, close to the skin, but goes on and on linearly. Have you eaten rose flavored Turkish Delight? I just bought some yesterday, and eating a piece made me think of Highness Rose. The one tastes like the other smells.

Wearing Hermes Iris Ukiyoe (from a sample). I am rather smitten with it and should the enchantment last I may consider a purchase, along with Vanille Galante, Osmanthe Yunnan and Brin de Reglisse.

G: Wish you a wonderful journey!

Blog Entries

gandhajala; have a fantastic, safe & fragrant trip!

Just back from work, SOTD was L'Instant de Guerlain.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

No SoTD yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK
    Quarry, what's on your sniff list?
    Well, since you asked ...
    I thought I'd be ever so clever and, per usual, hyper organized by printing my to-sniff items on heavy paper so as to efficiently spray and file what I hoped to find at Sephora and Macy's. However (and also "per usual") ...

Woe is Moi
    Moi’s sojourn was très tragique, mon amis. Most of what I hoped to sniff wasn’t in stock (no Volé, no Stella Lily, no Tocca Violet, no Balenciaga Florabotanica). Sephora has reduced their fragrance section by at least 50%. I suppose the profit-to-shelf-space ratio is better for cosmetics and nail polish. L’Occitane had JUST sent out their last bottle of Pivoine Delicate, Macy's had JUST shipped back their stock of Karan Woman and Angel Cuir, but I recognized the Angel Cuir bottle in the showcase and pointed it out to the SA. "Oh, that's just the tester,” she said. Well, duh, I'd like to sample that. So, at least I got to note that the leather is, as others have said, puny in comparison to the usual Angel presence. While in Sephora, Philosophy Violet was difficult to smell at all, as violet can have a tendency to do, but smelling the blotter today, it's pretty and fresh, and Philosophy Peony’s okay.

Unplotted sampling produced pleasant impressions about the Caudalie Vigne series and L’Occitane’s scents in general -- Eaux de Provence, fresh herb and bergamot combos are all laudable for their quality. I have to try their Cherry Blossom on skin some day as the paper sample remains charming today. Daughter was shopping for gifts and, while she resists being just like her mom, I was thrilled she chose L'Occitane's green tea concrete and lavender sachet to give to her pseudo-sister-in-law. Maybe I can drag her into this hobby a little deeper. Mwah-ha-ha-ha.

The success of the day was Miss Dior Le Parfum. Evangeline and others have raved, so I saturated my blotter, and unless it got corrupted by the Angel sample in my purse, I notice some of Angel's patchouli presence in MDLP. It is restrained, though, by fresh notes--a successful teetering balance. Will put that on the test-on-skin list.

No "wowsers," but that's okay. It was just a reconnaissance mission. But I continue to feel pessimistic about Wisconsin’s ability to support the fragrance consumer. I predict that when Nordstrom comes here in 2015, their fragrance department will start out stocked to the brim, but over time they'll scale way, way down, and I'll have to have an intimate relationship with their best SA in order to score "contraband" samples from Nordstrom HQ.

Isn't it wonderful that this is all I have to cry about in life!?!
    So I shan't need those tissues just now, Jon, and I allot my share to cestrum nocturnum and any others in need.
    Pleasant travels, gandhajala. How people country-hop on the other side of the Atlantic never fails to stun one who lives in the center of North America.

Basenotes Plus

G, we may be getting snow this weekend. Are you sure you don't want to cancel ? - I know you would be disappointed to miss out .

Travel safely, have a wonderful trip, and don't forget to pack the most important thing -

The ornithological opportunities over there should be spectacular - look forward to hearing about your adventures, feathered or otherwise. You will be missed.

Trumper GFT today.

Creed Fantasia de Fleurs
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Hi All, Today I'm wearing Mariage by Givenchy, it's absolutely addictive!

Davidoff ~ Zino Davidoff

Snow this weekend Jon? Yay!!! *clap clap clap*

I have switched to Chanel Coco this evening. A scent I like only if sprayed lightly.

Dr. G, safe travels and enjoy your stay. Mrs. Q, another classic Q post Thanks for the laughs this morning.

I am in Ambre del Nepal

Safe travel, G.

SotD is Cuir Ottoman, revealing an intriguing bitter-sweetness in the very far drydown...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Institution

Gandhajala - I'm JEALOUS! I have always wanted to go to that part of the world...enjoy!
    Plaisir - Iris Ukiyoe has been on my To Buy list ever since it was released. I thoroughly enjoy it, from top to bottom.

Today, for me, it's:

Vetiver 'new' Eau de Toilette (from a sample from the Vegas boutique) and Soap by Guerlain

It's good, this scent cannot do wrong, but there is a sour/saltiness that is missing from this that's in the vintage juice. Plus the tobacco is more toned down. Not the same. I'll stick with my vintage juice and body products.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Oh, my goodness, G., how exciting! Have a safe trip and a wonderful time!

Twolf! Get back here! Hope she has just been very busy, a highly likely scenario.

I'm in the pretty-but-no-bore Drole de Rose today. Dang Foustie, think I will have to have a bottle of this one. Filthy enabler!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Dear me, Quarry, that was a disappointing trip indeed!

I was out getting some fresh air and running errands and wandered over to a boutique that has some Pacifica products among its mostly non-perfume offerings. I sprayed Mediterranean Fig on the back of my hand, as it had been over a year since I'd last smelled it.

Can I say galbanum with a capital G? Wow, is it ever strong! I never noticed before just how green this fragrance is. I still prefer Premier Figuier but Mediterranean Fig is a solid (if simple) unisex fig.

Blog Entries

Good evening, all!

Definitely feeling colder here tonight. As Jon says, they're predicting a big freeze for the UK this weekend. Unusual to get snow here on the south coast though, so l won't hold my breath, but it would be nice to get some crisp, sunny days.

SOTE is Absolue pour le Soir.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

G, may you have safe, comfortable travels and a fantastic trip!

Quarry, I'm so glad I asked! Your post was exactly what I needed this afternoon -- thank you. Woe is moi, indeed! I know how you feel, though. There are very few places here to go sniffing, and our Sephora store has the most woefully-stocked fragrance section of any Sephora I've visited. The highlight of my local sniffing for 2012 was when Von Maur started carrying some Bond No. 9, but none of the really interesting ones -- just the I Love NY line. Woe is most definitely moi.

Late posting today, but all the better, because I'm loving the dry-down of Annick Goutal Les Orientalistes - Myrrhe Ardente. Actually, I loved the entire experience. I don't get the much-bemoaned accord d'root beer. Myrrh often presents with a leather tinge on me -- combine that with the lovely resin and tonka/benzoin, and I'm in heaven.

Weather update: the promised rain has not appeared. We, too, are forecast a deep freeze for the weekend. But no snow. (Sniff)

Hey again -

I know some of you are absolutely itching for snow and I sure hope y'all get loads of it, but I'm soooo ready for spring now. I mean really, once Christmas is done with what's the point of winter? In the meantime, I've been enjoying L'Instant this afternoon for my much-needed magnolia fix ...I say this all the time, but magnolias in winter are just such a treat!

Quarry, my initial enthusiasm for those ersatz "Miss Diors" was quickly replaced by deep disappointment. I was really hoping to find a replacement for the first Miss Dior Chérie. I started with Le Parfum after reading positive things about it, but it has rose at its center and, although I adore rose notes, this just shouldn't be rosy, so I switched it for the edp, which was closer but still wasn't right ...and the longevity was deplorable. I took it back too, and have given up on the line forever. pomander is your lady if you want to know the good news about the new stuff, not I. I'm just glad I have enough vintage Miss Dior to keep me happy for a while, as well as the fun and flirty original Miss Dior Chérie, but it's too bad that these are now almost irreplaceable.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 10th January 2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Etro Shaal Nur.

Serge Lutens Cuir Maresque (one of my favorites).

Basenotes Plus

Lots of doctor's appointments today....I was correct about needing a new prescription for my glasses.

Now, to choose the perfect frame. I want funky.....colorful.....retro. Frames are really difficult to choose.

Fragrance wasn't....Annick Goutal Eau de Sud for the day & tonight Encense Flamboyant.

Love by Kilian. A forgotten sample. But noteworthy beautiful.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have been sampling to let a friend know what my impression is,so, I have worn Jo Malone Amber & lavender(very masculine and musky), Tom Ford's Violet Blonde(love this) and Agent Provocateur( another lovely one).
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Sublime today ... a golden ray of sunshine in an otherwise gray, drizzle-y day. It was a day off from work though, so I'm not complaining! It was so wonderful to sleep in this morning to the sounds of a gentle rain. And then I was busy this afternoon cleaning out kitchen drawers and cabinets. It feels good to be getting so organized. (Don't ask about my perfume samples and decants though ... I don't think they will ever be organized!)

G, wishing you safe travels and a fun time!

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

SotE - Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford (from a sample)