Code of Conduct

Default Niche conversation starter frags?

Hm, looking for some opinions/inputs on what frags are good conversation/attention getters? Can be crowd pleasers as well.

Not necessarily something that's like "Wtf..", but rather like "Wow, that's interesting and different" but also pleasing in general.

Something that is un-expected (original?), yet appealing.

Am I asking for too much? Haha.

If you'd be so kind, exclude Creed. What about other not-as-much talked about brands, such as Mona di Orio, Bois 1920, ALoF, Heeley, The Different Company, etc.

Avoid ones that are significant on the leather/oud (don't throw rocks at me! :P). Some leather/oud can be okay, but I mean to avoid ones such as 1740 (which I do like, however it's not necessarily something I'd want to grab and wear often to places).

(Edit): to clarify, specific frags by brands. Ie: "Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur"
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 10th January 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Why So Serious?

Default Re: Niche conversation starter frags?

L'Artisan Perfumeur is good, there are some very unique and original scents while remaining pleasant in that line and they don't have the atomic strength of some of the niche houses out there so you won't suffocate anyone.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Check out Tom Ford's Private Blend frags.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    L'Artisan Perfumeur is good, there are some very unique and original scents while remaining pleasant in that line and they don't have the atomic strength of some of the niche houses out there so you won't suffocate anyone.
    I am interested in Timbuktu, and I've seen mentions, read of/about others as well (such as T42).

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Check out Tom Ford's Private Blend frags.
    Any in particular?

Idole by Lubin

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Idole by Lubin
    Which one, the EDP 2011(?) one or the EDT 2005(?) one or is there a different one.

Thanks in advance

+1 with L'Artisan.
    I recommend Dzing!.
    Last edited by ajmc; 10th January 2013 at 06:43 PM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Musc Ravageur. But the conversation may be "Why do you smell like cat pee?"

The house of PROFVMVM ROMA is exceptional!

They've got fragrances that pretty much fits every category. Personally, I like sweet gourmand fragrances, therefore I'm recommending:

Dulcis In Fundo (Candied oranges mixed with a big creamy vanilla note!
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=33913

Vanitas (Vanilla here aswell, but this vanilla is darker in a way, mixed very beautifully with a blend of sweet citrus-y myrrh.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...m/Vanitas.html

Don't let the notes fool you, even though they only contains a couple of notes they're pretty complex.

Yes, this house has some pretty damn high prices. BUT, their fragrance are so natural smelling and strong (as far as projection and longevity goes) that 1 spray is all you actually need. The two fragrances above in particular have potent juice!
    The term "projection and longevity beast" is not something I throw around alot, but all of Profumum Romas fragrance (except maybe 3 of them) are just that, a beast in both projection and longevity.

Give them a try, I can promise you that you'll find a fragrance from their line that you'll really like.

SwedishMike

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    +1 with L'Artisan.
    I recommend Dzing!.
    From the house of L'Artisan, I recommend Vanille Absolument.
    Tea for Two is also a recommendation. However, it's discontinued. It's pretty hard to find a bottle right now.. :/

Tocacco Vanille, Noir de Noir, Portifino Neroli and Tuscan Leather for starters for Tom Ford Private Blends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post
    I am interested in Timbuktu, and I've seen mentions, read of/about others as well (such as T42).

Any in particular?

+1 for Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. It always gets compliments for me.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

For something different, original, avant garde but also crowd pleasing try: "a new perfume 2012" by Comme des Garcons

I Love Les Carottes by Honoré de Prés. It does smell of carrots and a bit of citrus and iris, but it's mostly carrots. It's an all natural, unisex, fun and charming scent.

And it's a proven conversation starter. I've stuck my wrist in my friends faces and asked, "What do you smell, this should be a very familiar scent to you", and they agree it is, but what the hell is that fragrance!? It's a lot of fun wearing it, and I actually like smelling like a carrot every now and then.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford
    Menthe Fraiche by Heeley
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

You got Black Aoud?

Wow, thank you all for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Tocacco Vanille, Noir de Noir, Portifino Neroli and Tuscan Leather for starters for Tom Ford Private Blends.
    Hm, interesting, you recommend Tuscan Leather? How is the leather though? Is the leather more up-front, or like a supporting role, or?

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    You got Black Aoud?
    Nope, I actually don't have any Montales... yet?

The leather in Tuscan Leather is in your face brown, rustic, untreated, raw, cowboy saddle & chaps leather. Mans man stuff.

MikeDropIt,

I love these two Profumum scents. But my favourite is Acqua e zucchero. Still trying to justify the high price for all 3 of them.

Oh how I wish someone would do a Profumum Roma split!!!

Not to be a dink but.... Why not just start conversations with people that you're interested in?

Most people aren't gonna talk to you just because you smell peculiar or "good"

If you are looking to be approached by the opposite sex... You need to have a nice clean attractive look, and a friendly demeanor.

Most people first and foremost will be like "oh he's sexy" and then the icing on the cake might be "oh and he smells good"

Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    Not to be a dink but.... Why not just start conversations with people that you're interested in?

Most people aren't gonna talk to you just because you smell peculiar or "good"

If you are looking to be approached by the opposite sex... You need to have a nice clean attractive look, and a friendly demeanor.

Most people first and foremost will be like "oh he's sexy" and then the icing on the cake might be "oh and he smells good"
    Oh, I didn't necessarily mean a fragrance to GET an actual verbal conversation started.

Rather, something that can be talked about or w/e. Like... instead of a typical "Oh, he smells good.", more like a "Wow, that's so unusual but smells great!".

Think more along the lines of something that can be talked about more-so than 'regular' fragrances/the average people would like to know about it. Know what I mean?

tl;dr - partly(?) to get their mind thinking about how interesting and good (or so) the frag(s) smell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    The house of PROFVMVM ROMA is exceptional!

They've got fragrances that pretty much fits every category. Personally, I like sweet gourmand fragrances, therefore I'm recommending:

Dulcis In Fundo (Candied oranges mixed with a big creamy vanilla note!
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=33913

Vanitas (Vanilla here aswell, but this vanilla is darker in a way, mixed very beautifully with a blend of sweet citrus-y myrrh.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...m/Vanitas.html

Don't let the notes fool you, even though they only contains a couple of notes they're pretty complex.

Yes, this house has some pretty damn high prices. BUT, their fragrance are so natural smelling and strong (as far as projection and longevity goes) that 1 spray is all you actually need. The two fragrances above in particular have potent juice!
    The term "projection and longevity beast" is not something I throw around alot, but all of Profumum Romas fragrance (except maybe 3 of them) are just that, a beast in both projection and longevity.

Give them a try, I can promise you that you'll find a fragrance from their line that you'll really like.
    Hm, I am interested! However, I've noticed Dulcis in Fundo is at/highly towards "FEMME" on Luckyscent. I realize about wearing what you want, but do you think it's unisex personally? Or a more blatant 'female' smelling frag, etc. Thanks in advance .
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 10th January 2013 at 10:58 PM.

It's defnitely up in your face. Perfect for Fall and Winter. If you can, get a sample to see if it is for you first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post
    Wow, thank you all for the responses!

Hm, interesting, you recommend Tuscan Leather? How is the leather though? Is the leather more up-front, or like a supporting role, or?

Nope, I actually don't have any Montales... yet?

Interesting question. A few ideas that have gotten attention from others:

Fumerie Turque-SergeLutens
    Nuit Etoilee-Annick Goutal
    Oxford and Cambridge-Czech and Speake
    Jules-Dior
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.

Overcome By Fumes

It is interesting how many responses completely ignored parts of your original qualifications for what you are looking for, eg. "Not Leather" or "Not Oud"

The problem is your original criteria are somewhat contradictory. The more original and interesting a fragrance is, the less likely it is to resemble other fragrances with which people are familiar, and the higher the risk that someone will wrinkle her nose and HATE it. There's a fine line between good different "that's interesting" and bad different "wtf..." And this line will be in totally different places for different people.

That being said, I've had favorable responses to fragrances I consider a little "different" such as Dzing! or Comme des Garçons 2 Man or Etro Shaal Nur or even designer ones like Bulgari Black or Shiseido Basala.

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella - on second thoughts maybe that trips up on your non-leather requirement...

A number of Comme des Garcons scents also qualify.

Malle's Geranium pour homme - a pleasing refreshing fragrance with a deep warm base. Approachable and stylish.
    -

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

You could easily get a conversation starter from a designer fragrance for a lot less. Why does it have to be niche and pay a small fortune for it? Ones like:

Cacharel pourL'Homme
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Cartier Declaration
    YSLOpium
    CostumeNational Homme
    Tsar by Van Cleef and Arpels
    Fahrenheit Absolute by YSL
    and on and on.......

I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    You could easily get a conversation starter from a designer fragrance for a lot less. Why does it have to be niche and pay a small fortune for it? Ones like:

Cacharel pourL'Homme
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Cartier Declaration
    YSLOpium
    CostumeNational Homme
    Tsar by Van Cleef and Arpels
    Fahrenheit Absolute by YSL
    and on and on.......

Could not agree with you more Southergardens. I have YSL Opium Pour Homme edp, and Fahrenheit Absolute. Great conversations starters without breaking the bank. Enjoy your posts.

No leather. No oud. Maybe good for conversation? How about CdG Avignon?
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    +1 for Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. It always gets compliments for me.
    True but it seems to be Loved or Hated by most

+1 Dzing(very mild leather note)
    +1 Fumerie Turque
    Another real head turner is Dirty from Lush, but I don't know if that qualifies as a niche.