Code of Conduct

Thread: Profvmvm?

Basenotes Plus

Default Profvmvm?

Received samples of Profvmvm Arso and Ambra Aurea today from LS. I am really liking the opening of both fragrances.

What experiences can you pass along about the perfumes from this house.
    Last edited by PalmBeach; 10th January 2013 at 07:42 PM.

Default Re: Profumum?

My own experiences aren't very positive. Not much of a fan of this house.

Default Re: Profumum?

Not a big fan, but on the plus side, they are very bold and strong, and, I suspect, noncompliant. (I wish they did a jasmine or an oakmoss). Arso, despite the name (burnt, in Italian), is a very good incense. Have not tried ambra. Fvmidvs is a very peaty vetiver. Dolce acqva (sweet water) is an almond bomb that can kill a diabetic.

As a minor thing, I like their packaging and ancient roman typefont. Perhaps I like less the associated lack of the letter u, which did not exist in Roman times. But as you note, I've been careful to follow their rule - and the title of the thread should have been Profvmvm.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Profvmvm?

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    But as you note, I've been careful to follow their rule - and the title of the thread should have been Profvmvm.

cacio
    Thanks. Fixed.

I own four of them - Arso, which was probably my most worn fragrance in 2012, Thundra, Fumidus, and Victrix. I love all four of them. Arso smells like burning fragrant wood in the best fireplace ever. I don't get the leather note it supposedly has, but I think it's one of the best smokey woods/incense fragrances out there. People who love Black Tourmaline should definitely give this one a try. Thundra has a lot of patchouli and an earthy mushroom-like note. It's perhaps not for everyone, but I really enjoy it. Fumidus is the harshest of the four I own. It's Islay scotch and vetiver all the way and it takes no prisoners. It's not pretty and about as far from unisex as one can get. I bought it because I really wanted it, but didn't think I'd wear it very often. Surprisingly, I've worn it quite a bit. Victrix is very, very green and fresh, with lots of laurel and fresh grass. There has been talk that there is a bit of colone in it now. I don't know; there may have been some added to enhance the longevity, but I think it's a terrific fragrance. I've tried most of the line and I think they are all of excellent quality, though not all to my personal taste.

Olibanum - one of the best Incense-fragrances. Very sheer, almost fresh and green.

Arso - was quite happy with it for a while but somehow I became a bit sick of it, can't say why exactly. Definitely does a good job rendering the smell of a glimmering campfire/fireplace.

Victrix - outstanding fresh, green, clean fragrance for spring and summerdays.

Sound Scents

I have not really gotten along well with Profumum. Their fragrances certainly are potent enough, but their composition quality has not impressed me, and their prices even less.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Have to get a sample

Their scents tend to be strong and simple. Generally their materials seem quite high-quality. My favorite from the line is Antico Caruso, an almond, sandalwood, and a bit of citrus and maybe anise. Not an ambitious composition but wonderfully wearable and comfortable in the winter. I wear it a lot.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I have four of them-Arso, Antico Caruso, Ichnusa and Eccelso. Tonyprince's description of Arso is accurate, IMO. Antico Caruso is primarily almond and sandalwood, so if you like those notes you're apt to like it, but don't expect anything complex. Ichnusa is a green fragrance (fig and myrtle) that I find refreshing. Eccelso is a mix of floral (magnolia), spice (nutmeg) and wood (sandalwood) with some patchouli in the base. They all have great longevity and are quite concentrated.

I think Thundra is an interesting one...I really liked it the first few times I sampled it, but the last time there was something a little off in the dry down; probably the mushroom note, which I wasn't crazy about. And on paper it gave off a blue cheese vibe. But it was actually pretty good on skin.

It's a fresh scent, that ventures into 'damp, earthy' territory. The whole thing seems a little foggy.

The most famous ProfVmVm scent is "Acqua di Sale" ( the SaltWater, in italian ) it's probably the most heavy aquatic scent ever made. If you can imagine the first Rem by Reminiscence, well, it's a sort of quadruple Rem in strenght, projection, sillage.
    Quite expensive, and "cloned" almost perfectly by Fiore dell'Onda by l'Erbolario or Eau Marine by Jean Louis Gady both chap.
    Have to get a sample? In my opinion, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

The most famous ProfVmVm scent is "Acqua di Sale" ( the SaltWater, in italian ) it's probably the most heavy aquatic scent ever made. If you can imagine the first Rem by Reminiscence, well, it's a sort of quadruple Rem in strenght, projection, sillage.
    Quite expensive, and "cloned" almost perfectly by Fiore dell'Onda by l'Erbolario or Eau Marine by Jean Louis Gady, both cheap.
    Have to get a sample? In my opinion, yes.

I own Acqua Viva, but that's also the only one I've tried. I must say I don't have any interest in the rest of the line from what I've looked over, but AV is just about the best lemon (and it is ALLLLLL lemon) you can get.

They're extremely pricey, but their packaging is nice.

dulcis in fundo is glorious mandarin and vanilla scent, worth trying if you like vanilla/gourmands. I have many vanilla-based frags and this is my favourite, happiness in a bottle!

Antico Caruso is awesome. Haven't tried any others. But it is a simple, potent, high quality scent for sure.

Basenotes Member

I have Arso and I highly rate it. My next purchase from this house will probably be either Victrix or Acqua Viva. I also like the slightly oily texture to their fragrances resulting in excellent longevity.