Code of Conduct

Default Experimenting with weekly rotation, thoughts?

As per the title, have you guys ever experimented with rotating fragrances on a weekly basis as opposed to a daily one? I've never had a steady rotation, mostly just picked out whatever I felt like wearing on a given day, but my collection's been growing pretty fast so right now I have a small backlog of scents I want to get to know better. I've started giving them more extended trials to see how they hold up over some period of time (usually one consecutive work week of wear), get a feel for optimal application and see if any new facets reveal themselves.

Any of you do this, and for those of you who do, have you noticed your appreciation of a fragrance changing in any meaningful sense when you give it longer consecutive periods of time?

Default Re: Experimenting with weekly rotation, thoughts?

Personally have never rotated on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally have never rotated on a weekly basis.
    With your given collection, if you stuck to a new fragrance everyday, it will over 4 years before you come back to the same fragrance.

Occasionally it happens. If the shirt I use is impregnated in the perfume, then the day after I need to reuse the same perfume, to avoid clashing. Not that things change particularly in my appreciation, but what happens is that on cloth you may have a slightly different phase of the perfume, so you probably end up enjoying the middle and base notes more. For said reason, wearing the same thing over many days works only with the things I like most and that have the best drydown.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    With your given collection, if you stuck to a new fragrance everyday, it will over 4 years before you come back to the same fragrance.
    Try more like 1423/52 weeks= 27 years plus!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Occasionally it happens. If the shirt I use is impregnated in the perfume, then the day after I need to reuse the same perfume, to avoid clashing.
    cacio
    Very good point. Some highly concentrated fragrances, like the rather oily Montales, stick around for ages on garments.
    I don't apply on my clothes, as I don't wash my business shirts after every wear, but even a spray on the chest or stomach will infuse the entire shirt with the scent of Black Musk.

Even with an airing, it takes some thinking to wear a similar or complementary fragrance when I wear that shirt again.

The most times I wore a frag consecutively was probably three.

tim:

indeed, and when I hang the shirt in a room, then I can smell it in the room the morning after. Sort of a (mild) parfum d'ambiance... For me, the one impossible to take off is Rien. But the Montales, as you say, and immortelle-based ones work pretty well too.

cacio