Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Purcahse Advice

I've done this a couple of times over the years and its time again. Despite my overwhelming desire to go niche, with the 3rd kiddo here I just can't pull the trigger. Right now I have dropped a lot of what I sampled and wore before and pretty much am wearing TdH a majority of the time with Burberry London mixed in with the cold weather. I have Light Blue PH and Gucci by Gucci PH in the medicine cabinet with no urge to wear them ever again. I sold or used everything else. Pretty sad. I do love my TdH though. So the question is if you walked into Macy's, Sephora, Saks, Nordstroms..whatever..what is the one designer fragrance you would recommend to a 42..almost 43..year old father of 3 attorney who is in a pretty conservative office? I still sneak out and sample everything on the market weekly but I'm at a loss these days.

Quickly...I'm a big woods person and haven't really found any gourmand that fits me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Purcahse Advice

Have you samples all the Aramis offerings? Maybe something like Havana may be up your alley... Others to try that might appeal to you are Costume National Homme, and He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood and Potion both by DSquared2.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum. Classy, good for your age range & would work well in your occupational field I believe.

Drseid beat me to it. He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Have you samples all the Aramis offerings? Maybe something like Havana may be up your alley... Others to try that might appeal to you are Costume National Homme, and He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood and Potion both by DSquared2.
    The Aramis line has never appealed to me. I'll have to try CNH and the He Wood one. I've seen good comments on CNH..thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum. Classy, good for your age range & would work well in your occupational field I believe.
    I'll revisit this. In the past when I tried this, it came off very "perfumey" or feminine on my skin. Some of these tend to do that but that was awhile back so I'll give it another test drive.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Fahrenheit is one of my favorite designer fragrances. Also, Gucci Pour Homme II. I think that it's one of the best office/academic setting fragrances out there.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Please try:
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Costume National Homme
    A Men Pure Havane
    Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...

Big woods person...

Shopping at Macy's, Sephora, Saks, Nordstroms...

May I suggest a shortlist to try out instead of just one fragrance?

Blu Mediterrano Cipresso di Toscana
    Bulgari Man
    Jack Black Silver Label EDP

Post Thanks / Like

At Nordstrom -- Egoiste (not the Platinum version).

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Agree.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

of those stores, try:
    Eau Savage
    Terre D Hermes
    Angel Men

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dior homme sport, bleu de chanel, Tom ford grey vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Just ONE spray of Norne or Vikt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    of those stores, try:
    Eau Savage
    Terre D Hermes
    Angel Men
    I wear TdH already.

I'll revisit Eau Savage

Thanks
    --Ben Hogan

You could always take an inexpensive step (I know, it's a slippery slope once you get started) into niche and go with Tam Dao by Diptyque.

It's a lovely creamy wooden fragrance with just enough dryness to make it smell different, but not too much that it's inaccessible (pay attention, L'DDM!)

The price isn't too bad, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    Dior homme sport, bleu de chanel, Tom ford grey vetiver
    I'll have to give Bleu a good wearing. The Dior Homme and Intense haven't been good for me but I'll try Sport. Thanks
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

I will second Fahrenheit. I wear this several times per week, love the stuff! Really great for cool weather in my opinion too. But I'll be wearing it when it's hot as well.

Also the price is much higher, but damn if Chanel Egoiste isn't an awesome scent. I only just sampled it last weekend at Nordstrom and am looking for a better deal online.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if you have a Bloomingdales near you, but if so, you might want to check out Yves St Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum. It does the woody thing pretty well. I think you might l like it. Some say the EDT version leans feminine, but the Le Parfum version does not.

I think Neiman Marcus sells Lalique Equus, which is a nice cedar type of scent you might like, although it is a little spicy.

Another possibility would be F Black by Ferragamo. It's a leathery, woody type of scent that might work for you.

If all else fails, Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone might be an option. It's a little fruity but has a really icy pine-like drydown that is simply wonderful. Don't be put off by the unisex label; it's really good.

I think all of these would be fine for the office.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

At Macy's Aqua Fahrenheit.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're looking for CdG Wonderwood.

How about the Bulgari line?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone...keep them coming. As for some of the suggestions..I'll look at Aqua Fahrenheit vs Fahrenheit. I wore Fahrenheit in the early 90s and I don't think the new version does it justice...too much gasoline. But last time I tried Aqua it was a muted version of what I remember the classic to be.

Buzzley, I'm not far from the Magnificent Mile so I have access to any Dept store. I'd like LaNuit if it was less feminine. So far that whole L'Homme group has gone on a little powdery on me.

I'll have to revisit Egoiste, try Wonderwood and look at these others.

I've tried a many things but I always go back and some surprise. That is how I fell in love with TdH. Had to revisit.

Bulgari Aqua was a fave but fell off that wagon. I always liked Bulgari PH Soir so I might have to look at that again.

Thanks again
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

You are a perfect candidate for Cartier Roadster. It is a very fine woody scent with a lovely base. And the quality just oozes from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad you don't like the Aramis line because the price quality ratio is really good for the brand. Aramis 900 is an excellent resinous patch, for instance. I second Egoiste, smooth sandalwoody with a touch of fruits, or the companion Antaeus, spicy.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

At Sephora I've been loving Bulgari Pour Homme Soir (edit: already suggested I see. Good suggestion).

Also, if you love TdH, can't go wrong with Cartier Declaration, but I'm sure you knew that.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenzo Power might be worth a shot - as well as Kenzo Bois. Power is nice on the balsa wood - check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I too would suggest F*Black by Ferragamo.*I looked at this one for well over a year and recently bought a small bottle really cheap. Wore it today and really enjoyed it. Got complements on it too. An overlooked affordable gem.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I feel like I somewhat know your tastes ToughCool.

I'd recommend checking out Kenzo Boisee, a nice vetiver/mint/peppery scent. Also, if you can find a sample of it (you can get them cheap on ebay, if nothing else) please check out 7 de Loewe. It's an awesome incense/vetiver/cedar scent with a touch of rose, orange blossom and red apple. As masculine and unique as TdH (and also has a lot of iso e super in it, along with a similar vetiver note), but a bit more 'lively'. It's such an amazing scent, and I will never understand how it didn't become one of BNs darlings as it checks all those boxes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, give CK Encounter a sniff - preferably a sample wearing (and if you do, please wear only the Encounter as it is subtle and would likely get overpowered if you sampled other scents on skin at the same time.) I know a lot of people knock this scent but again I can't understand why. It's a nice boozy, spicy floral with hints of oud. It does have some clean and fresh notes, and in that sense it's a bit like Bleu (although Bleu is more shave cream clean, whereas Encounter is more 'deodorant clean') but I find them to actually be cleverly juxtaposed against the florals and oud. The boozy factor may make it a no-go in the office, and I think you might find it a bit too floral, but then again, maybe not. To me, it serves as a great all purpose scent and I find it fits my character better than Bleu does.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Adding a few to the mix:
    Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme I was initially put off by the mint opening of this, it came off a bit medicinal to me, but on a second wearing I really grew to like it. Very woodsy and masculine. $62/$84

John Varvatos original. Nice leather/woody oriental $62/$82

Armani Code Ultimate Same base as the original, but much improved with an infusion of leather. Does not have huge projection which may make it safe for work, but it does have excellent longevity. $66/$84

Vince Camuto A nice frag with a great opening that hasn't received too much attention. Woodsy, leathery but not overpowering and nicely priced. $57/$70

Fan di Fendi Just now getting a wider release at Macy's, this opens up with a nice smokiness and eases into a smooth woody frag. I've only worn it twice, and I think it's worth trying. $59/$79

Hanae Mori HiM The edt will remind you of Gucci II but will have better longevity and a more woodsy dry down, the edp is a little more unique and spicy on the sweet side. Make sure to try both. $50/$70 edt, $70/$95 edp

After I did this and realized you wanted just one recommendation :} I totally failed at that, but hope you don't mind the choices
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Try Bvlgari man and Bvlgari ph, also Gucci ph 2, Dscquared potion.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Again, thanks to every single person who is giving suggestions. I'm writing it all down to I can revisit most of these again. Hopefully my tastes have developed some more and something jumps out. I smell scents here downtown and think "that smells good and professional" but I never know what it is. So hopefully something connects like TdH did.

SoS I have scene 7 de Loewe on ebay so I might check it out. Steeler...the more choices the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, thanks to every single person who is giving suggestions. I'm writing it all down to I can revisit most of these again. Hopefully my tastes have developed some more and something jumps out. I smell scents here downtown and think "that smells good and professional" but I never know what it is. So hopefully something connects like TdH did.

SoS I have scene 7 de Loewe on ebay so I might check it out. Thanks!!Always appreciated. Steeler...the more choices the better.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 11th January 2013 at 01:22 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

I thought of a few more suggestions:

Beckham Homme - laugh at the name and pedigree if you want, but I don't think you'll laugh when you smell it. It's like a mix of TdH, Bvlgari Man and Chopard's Noble Vetiver. Citrus/woody/musky and overall an excellent scent. The fact that it's cheap as chips is just icing on the cake.

Bond #9 Brooklyn - this is TdH after a shave and shower, all suited up and drinking a gin and tonic. Some similarities to TdH although cleaner and more professional. Starts with a brief grapefruit/cardamom, then fades into a heart of juniper berries, and woods (cedar + guaiac) over a nice suede leather.

Chopard Noble Vetiver - bergamot and cardamom over a clean vetiver/clary sage combo. Professional as they come. Extremely smooth and polished.

Chopard Noble Cedar - Ok, I've not tried this one, but I imagine it might fit the bill based on what I've read. I know both this and Noble Vetiver are going for cheap on ebay these days. Many have said it maintains that same "noble" (read: refined and professional) character of Noble Vetiver, and that makes it worth investigating, at least.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a List for you:

Zino by Davidoff
    Yatagan by Caron
    Rive Gauche by YSL
    Encre Noire by Lalique
    Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Benne
    Mugler Cologne
    Gentleman by Givenchy(vintage if possible)
    Heritage by Guerlain
    Giorgio Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills
    Michael PH by Michael Kors
    Dirty English by Juicy Couture
    Ungaro III by Emanuel Ungaro
    D&G Pour Homme by D&G
    Pour un Homme by Caron
    Tommy Bahama Original

All of these are work safe, smell excellent and professional, and are fairly cheap too(much cheaper online than dept. stores). Happy sniffing!

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Cartier Santos

+1 for the new Hanae Mori HiM. Best designer release of 2012, imo. Can be found at Nordstrom.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Post Thanks / Like

If you enjoy wearing TdH, I'd say check out Cartier Déclaration.
    You might actually like the Essence version better.
    Last edited by Balthazar; 14th January 2013 at 10:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd second the Encre Noir recommendation, also try Cigar by remy latour very inexpensive 10-15$ I think, with tobacco and spices as it layers pretty nicely with Burberry London (both are my first 2 frags) and quite well with Terre d'Hermes or you could opt for some musk oil or Oud oil from eBay or any specific site they don't cost much and last a lot and if layered properly, they will easily lift up some scents.

Post Thanks / Like

Try these:
    The latest Brooks Brothers at Nordies
    Encre Noire
    Bang
    Tom Ford for Men
    Bleu de Chanel
    YSL Rive Gauche

Based upon your tastes, I think each of these would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Another +1 on HiM, a different spicy frag. Idole de Lubin + Spicebomb= HiM

As a TdH also big fan, I would suggest:
    +1 John Varvatos for Men (smooth leather, complex evolution, very very nice)
    +1 Bvlgari PH Soir (bergamot, papyrus, musk, great for warm weather/offfice)
    +1 Bleu de Chanel (very springy & casual, long lasting)
    +1 Cartier Declaration (restrained, elegant, bitter-fresh-macho, imo)
    Chanel Allure Blanche (lemony & creamy, easy to wear, versatile)
    Burberry the Beat (pepper & vetiver, young spirit...this matters, not age after all)

I'm pretty sure all these can be found in the stores you mentioned. Good luck !
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Post Thanks / Like

Try also Artek Standard by Comme des Garcons - a woody (pine wood) vetiver

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

+1on Cartier Declaration & Bvlgari Man. Other suggestions for office-friendly conservative scents: Lalique Hommage a L'Homme, Prada Infusion d'Homme and Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone. Great stuff!!Sorry if I am not responding directly or mentioning every scent here but trying to wade through. The other day I tried some and it wasn't what I was looking for

Tried again..

Mont Blanc Legend--Wore this for part of the day and not as impressed as I was first time. It is like wearing Platinum Egoiste for an hour and then Fierce for a few hours. Not bad but a little "too much"

Gucci PH 2--Put this in a thread the other day but the tea note is way too much for me and I get this weird pickle juice vibe. Always have with this stuff.

Dior Homme--Tried for the 10th time. No matter what I do the iris is just too pronounced on my skin

YSL L'Homme.--I keep hearing it should be woody but I get powdery. Even the Libre version seemed like "this has been done 10 times already."

Kenzo Boisee--The first 20 minutes of this I was enjoying...then...I got a weird air freshener drydown that just made me think "Glade." Disappointed because I was enjoying it

RL Safari--It was there and wanted to see this again..funny..I still love this stuff. But there is a datedness that I can't escape while wearing it.

So right now I'm thinking of wearing in or testing in my next round" Bleu de Chanel; Cartier Declaration (I've tried this and Essence in past and the "B.O." vibe really was strong but will try again); Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme; Encre Noir (wore some in past but it is a faded memory); ....and really anything else I will cross

Also, for this purpose I used to love and wear Brooks Brothers Classic but I think they ditched that version and now have a new cologne that was mentioned above. I'll see if similar.

I may have to hunt down Bang too...used to love the pepper on me
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Hit all the TJ Maxx's/Marshall's/Ross' before you buy Bang at retail. You should not pay more than $20. My wife loves this stuff on me.

Bleu de Chanel is office friendly and very appealing. It's a real people pleaser that my wife also likes. Same can be said of Chanel Allure Homme Sport (but not the Eau Extreme version IT REEKS).

Cartier Santos Concentree, for big, dark, sophisticated woody effects.

Another "big woods" for business, though not a department store scent: a light misting of Serge Lutens Chene. A good value, not a lot more $$ than upper-end department store, and it goes a long way. No more than two sprays and you're good for the day.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 14th January 2013 at 06:50 PM.

I would second the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Tom Ford for Men suggestions.

I would also suggest you try Bond No. 9 I Love New York for Marriage Equality (but that may be outside the range you are looking, based on your original posting) - but I would recommend you give it a try...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

+x Declaration
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Hi. Can you please help me? I want to order for my boyfrend Habit rouge l´eau, as a blind buy- gift (sadly, can´t find it anywhere to smell it). He likes Encre nore, Terre d´Hermes, Hommage a la Homme. It´s a good idea, or not? Thank you and sorry for my english.