Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default La Treiziéme Heure XIII by Cartier

This is, in my opinion, the most masculine in the entire series of Cartiers Les Heures de Parfums line. Nonetheless, there is not one single thread devoted to discussion on it on the male board. Yeah, it's overpriced - okay I don't own a full bottle. But, gosh I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

It manages to convey the same dark, intense texture of other birch/leather/rubber scents like Black by Bulgari, Lonestar Memories by Tauer and Patchouli 24 by Le Labo - yet for me the Cartier is much more luxurious, not headache inducing (the rubber can be a bit too synthetic in the Bulgari) and that wonderful mate / spice (is it clove?) that hums right alongside the phenolic birch/leather is a wonderful combination.

It simultaneously feels sturdy, almost steely yet it pairs this with a gentle tea-based, almost holistic sort of aura from the other notes.

More people need to know about, sample and hype this scent.

"The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: La Treiziéme Heure XIII by Cartier

Sounds great. I've been wanting to sample this line for some time now. Thanks for the great tip!

If it's like Bulgari Black it sounds pretty good.

Basenotes Plus

I believe a lot of the reason, this and the others do not get much play, most people do not know they even exist. It's not easily available. Not even sure the Catier stores in the area even offer it. Maybe this weekend I'll go down to the Worth Avenue boutique and see if they have it.

I'll try it today if I can.

Thanks Mike P.

for swap/sale:

It's a wonderful scent as all the others in this line are IMO.

It is my favourite after L'Heure Fougueuse - which rocketed into my top five and has stayed there ever since - I consider it almost a signature piece for me, in the same atmosphere as Sous le Vent - it's beyond 'perfume', it's a presence.

Treizieme, on the other hand is 'par fumum' - I understand the idea was to evoke 'smoke' and for me it is smoke and black tea, or smokey black tea, and that same signature mate note she uses in Fougueuse seems to be there, just played down a little. It really is an outstanding piece of work - it's alive.

Which just leaves Vertueuse - when will it arrive in HK !!??

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Well said, Mr R. It's probably next on my acquisition list after the superlative Fougueuse. The distinctive tea/mate note and overall quality puts it heads and shoulders above the likes of Patchouli 24 or Bulgari Black imo. I don't enjoy the price tag either but the quality of composition is top-notch. It even smells 'expensive'! I agree with Mike, this line deserves a larger, more discerning audience.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th January 2013 at 03:56 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Glad to see my thread has created some discussion and interest in this one.

I first encountered the entire line at Saks. The one here in Miami only had a few but the one I shopped at in NOLA (with the BN meet up a couple years ago) had the entire line.

Strangely, when the line was first released, the Cartier boutique (here in Bal Harbour) didn't carry these. The SA there looked at me with this total blank expression when I asked about them. So weird. I am pretty sure, though, that this has changed and now the boutiques do carry the scents. Can you confirm this Palm Beach, or anyone else who's near a boutique?

I think the rubber/leather links this scent to Black but unlike that one, LTH XIII is not sweet.

Also, yes, I too sense the similarity to this scent and the other Les Heures de Parfum, the 'horse hair' one which IMO is just totally unique and unlike anything I've ever smelled. It's that bizarre mate note, that just SINGS in these compositions. Usually tea notes bore me because they're so darned proper and prim, which I can be in the mood for (I happen to love that part of Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan) but I tend to like my tea notes bold (like in the Tea Series 1: Leaves by Comme des Garcons and of course Tea for Two by L'Artisan). The L'Heure Fougueuse is a nice modern addition to this bunch.

Back on topic: Does anyone smell narcissus in this one? It's a listed note but I can't seem to detect that at all.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Mike, I'll check it out this weekend. I know when I stopped at the one in Boca Town Center about a year ago, got the same strange look you did at the Bal Harbour store.

If they do offer it, seems like it may be like Tiffany, where they do have it but lost in some obscure corner somewhere away for the public eye.

Basenotes Plus

Mike, I'll check it out this weekend. I know when I stopped at the one in Boca Town Center about a year ago, got the same strange look you did at the Bal Harbour store.

If they do offer it, seems like it may be like Tiffany, where they do have it but lost in some obscure corner somewhere away for the public eye.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks PB.

The longevity on this is very high. I smelled it very clearly on my skin this morning, when I applied some last night.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Great fragrance.

I've worn it awhile. Sort of a hybrid of Tea for Two and Patchouli 24, but clearer and better than either. Patchouli 24 is excellent. Tea for Two's a little average anyway.

Not all that similar to, and not better than Bulgari Black, but an excellent fragrance by a great perfumer. Durable with a good trajectory, quality ingredients, smells great, easy to wear. It's chic, meaning it has a little strangeness but won't incommode others. :-)