Code of Conduct

Exclamation what is this stuff at the bottom of the bottle?

I just got a 10-ml decant of Jicky (not thro BN) and there's sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I have lots of other frags and haven't noticed any similar "crud" in them. Do some frags commonly have some sedimentation? Does Jicky tend to, or have I gotten hundred-year-old juice? Thanks!

And as long as this is for noobs, is it pronounced "Jicky" or "Zheeky"?

Default Re: what is this stuff at the bottom of the bottle?

I think it is Jicky but who knows.

If you have a roll on, then it is skin at the bottom of your decant. If not then it must have been dirty before it was filled up. Those are my two guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty S
    I just got a 10-ml decant of Jicky (not thro BN) and there's sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I have lots of other frags and haven't noticed any similar "crud" in them. Do some frags commonly have some sedimentation? Does Jicky tend to, or have I gotten hundred-year-old juice? Thanks!
    Is this Eau de Parfum or Eau de Toilette?

The reason I ask is because I used to have Lalique Equus EDP and there were "floatees" in the juice. No other way to describe it. I know someone else who had the same EDP and he had the same issue. There wasn't anything wrong with the juice, but it had the floaters in it. Almost like the juice had dandruff.

I have Jicky EDT and I don't have floaters.

My uneducated & unscientific guess is that frags at higher concentrations might cloud up/develop floaters due to wacky titration of the oils + water.

Ouzo is an example. Ouzo out of the bottle is clear. Add some water to it and it becomes cloudy. (Either way, for me they both go down fine! )
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Hey, MisterK,

Thanks for your thoughts -- My Jicky is the EDT. I'm thinking EnvYuS may be right about the "sediment" being tiny bits of flaked off skin (yuk!), because since I posted this question I've acquired and been using a decant of Knize 10 in a roll-on, and I just eyeballed the bottom of that bottle and it, too, is beginning to build up a little layer of similar-looking "crud"! Gotta start asking for sprays! This may only be a problem for the dryskinned among us (myself and others)....

Quote Originally Posted by Minty S
    Hey, MisterK,

Thanks for your thoughts -- My Jicky is the EDT. I'm thinking EnvYuS may be right about the "sediment" being tiny bits of flaked off skin (yuk!), because since I posted this question I've acquired and been using a decant of Knize 10 in a roll-on, and I just eyeballed the bottom of that bottle and it, too, is beginning to build up a little layer of similar-looking "crud"! Gotta start asking for sprays! This may only be a problem for the dryskinned among us (myself and others)....
    Ah you have a roll-on. Yeah, I get this crud/cloudiness at the bottom of my roll-ons. It is particularly prominent in my 1/3 oz decant of Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo which has maybe 1/4th left (I guess that would be 1/12oz?). It probably has a lot of K skin & bad stuff in it... still I haven't noticed a deterioration in the frag. Still, I think I should use it up; I'm sure the bacteria might enjoy eating the oils or whatever else is in there... I'm not sure if the alcohol in the juice will kill it.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

How do you get that roller ball off? I don't want that happening to my Apres L'Ondee decant, maybe I should transfer it to a spray or what? I don't want dead skin in my perfume! Maybe we should make sure to exfoliate before application. I usually do in the shower, so I guess I am that far ahead, anyway.

nearfantastica

re: roll-on ball...

Hahaha.. I probably sound like a madman.. but to get off the roller-ball.. I often clench the end between my teeth and bite it off... for the record, Yohji Homme smells a lot better than it tastes....

havn't died yet.. but the brain damage.. <twitches>

a.

Ummm, LOL!! I don't think I'm going to try that. Any other bright ideas out there? And do you really think it's a problem? Why would so many perfume sellers use those balls, if that is what happens? I know I've seen floaties in bottles of old perfume in thrift stores, etc, but now I can't remember if they were splashes or sprays. I was never tempted to take the lids off to smell.

I'm not sure about the bottle of Jicky (and bottles of vintage perfume), but the floaties in the roll-on bottles are probably clumps of bacteria cells. I noticed that the bacterial clumps eventually form a sediment at the bottom of the vial. It's possible that phase separation has occurred to cause the floaties, but I would suspect bacteria in most cases.

Does anyone have more info on bacteria contamination in fragrances?

Basenotes Junkie

This is one of the main reasons I will not use roll-ons. Saw this in one of my wifes roll-on perfumes and it kinda grossed me out. I pointed it out to her and now she doesn't use them anymore either.

As even the concentration of alcohol in an extrait is approximately 70% I can hardly imagine, that there is any life in it, be it bacteria or what ever. What can be seen is just a (preserved;-) micro-mix of skin abrasion, body-lotion, sweat-crystals, and ordinary dust. Nothing to be afraid of. It's an esthetic problem. So avoid rollers and work as cleanly as a lab assistant when decanting.

But, what I heard of is that also the spray mechanism might be responsible for smuggling dust into the perfume.
    Last edited by Graphite; 12th January 2013 at 11:38 AM.