Code of Conduct

Default Noob here, looking for longer lasting cologne similar to Chrome/Platinum/Hugo Boss/Candies

Hello ,

(sorry, just HAD to use that smiley, hehe)

I've been reading this site for over a week, trying to educate myself on scents, and I am still reading and learning, but thought I might ask for some specific help here.

My previous main cologne for everyday wear was Chrome. I really like this scent, but the only thing that bothered me was that it was so light, and didn't last too long. I then went to a Nordstroms where they had some colognes out for sampling, and I came across Chanel Platinum. I liked this scent as well, even though it was a little expensive. After trying it out for a week, I learned that this cologne was also quite weak and not very long lasting, which is really upsetting for a cologne that is so expensive. At least with Chrome, the price isn't that large, but with the high price tag of Platinum, I expected much more.

Anyways, I have been considering other options, and have been referring to the reviews here to help me make a choice.... however, one problem I've noticed, is that the reviews differ so greatly. For example I checked the reviews of Chrome, and many reviewers stated what I experienced - the not so great longevity - yet there were many other reviewers who thought that it lasted a decent amount of time. What is a person to do? I mean, how do I make a decision, in the face of so much contrasting opinion?

If any of you might educate me, give me some advice, or even a recommendation, it would be appreciated!!!

Thanks for reading this

Default Re: Noob here, looking for longer lasting cologne similar to Chrome/Platinum/Hugo Boss/Candies

You may test fragrances on your skin and you'll notice all development, lasting power and sillage. Try Bvlgari Aqva, Acqua di Gio, L'Eau D'Issey, 212 On Ice.

Default Re: Noob here, looking for longer lasting cologne similar to Chrome/Platinum/Hugo Boss/Candies

I would give Versace Eau Fraiche a shot. It's not very similar to Chrome. It's more fresh and less "metallic." Definitely my favorite aquatic. Dunhill Desire (red) is inexpensive and also nice. Please sample these before buying.

have you thought to consider that maybe your nose became fatigued and can't smell it anymore but its still lasting on your skin

As others have said, make sure it's not olfactory fatigue. After a while your own nose cancels out your own smell. So ask somebody else whether they're still smelling it.

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Most fresh aquatic fragrances like Chrome, Hugo Boss, and Acqua di Gio have only okay longevity. Sharper herbal fresh fragrances like Egoiste aren't a whole lot better. You probably aren't going to find anything in these categories that are really strong and have great longevity. You've already tried some of the longest lasting, strongest colognes in this category. You may just have to use a travel atomizer to re-apply during the day, or start getting into more powerhouse varieties of fragrances. Sorry.

Acqua di Gio

Thanks guys/gals for your help!

Just a note - I HAVE asked a couple female co-workers if they could smell the Platinum, and for them it was practically non-existent. Another way that I judge is if a shirt has the scent of the cologne on it... with something like Dolce dark blue for example, you are going to smell the scent on the shirt after a night out. But with Chrome and Platinum, there is NOTHING. I was thinking of a travel bottle as 2ndBakery suggested, but my concern here is that these scents seem so darned light, that I will have a hard time judging overspray versus underspray.

I HAVE tried Aqua di Gio before, and it was pretty good, but just didn't really fit my style as much. I mean it did the job well, but the scent itself wasn't my personal favorite.

On a side note, do you guys have any suggestions on sampling some of the other colognes? For example, at Nordstroms, they only have a limited selection of fragrances to sample. I was thinking of maybe a cologne/perfume store to sample fragrances?? When I look on Ebay, most samples are around five bucks, and maybe it's cause I'm a cheap bastard, but that seems like it will get expensive to try different scents.

Thank you all though, for your feedback!!!

UPDATE: Today I wore Chrome, and just did a scent check and my best friend/female co-worker said she could smell it and liked it. I asked her why her clothes were still on then, but regardless, I'll take her word that she liked it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    Most fresh aquatic fragrances like Chrome, Hugo Boss, and Acqua di Gio have only okay longevity. Sharper herbal fresh fragrances like Egoiste aren't a whole lot better. You probably aren't going to find anything in these categories that are really strong and have great longevity. You've already tried some of the longest lasting, strongest colognes in this category. You may just have to use a travel atomizer to re-apply during the day, or start getting into more powerhouse varieties of fragrances. Sorry.
    2nd Bakery,

I mostly like the aquatic scents, but really haven't tried much of the other stuff. Any recommendations on how to explore the other scents?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I would give Versace Eau Fraiche a shot. It's not very similar to Chrome. It's more fresh and less "metallic." Definitely my favorite aquatic. Dunhill Desire (red) is inexpensive and also nice. Please sample these before buying.

MikeJ, I just researched some reviews of Dunhill Red, and they were very interesting. They led me to Dunhill Blue though, and that seems like something that is a really good candidate. I'm searching for a good deal on Ebay right now for a sampler or small bottle. Thx
    Last edited by Starflyte; 9th August 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Try Versace Pour Homme. A great fresh aquatic scent, not to pricey either. Your bottle of Chrome must be bad, I can smell mine pretty strong all day long with just a couple sprays.

Exclamation Re: Noob here, looking for longer lasting cologne similar to Chrome/Platinum/Hugo Boss/Candies

most colognes are actually lasting all day, after a short period of time you will get used to the smell being on you and not notice it, i have this issue and I end up putting more on when i dont smell it, But! ive been told i smell good when i didnt smell it. its just you getting used to it, try asking someone if they smell it when you dont.

Im just starting off much like you.
    The first two real purchases I've made so far are Boss Bottled and YSL L'Homme.
    Neither are aquatics but they were my favorite out of everything I sampled and I feel as if they're better for the winters months over others scents such as Aqua di Gio.

Overcome By Fumes

I believe Starflyte may already have left orbit, so further recommendations may not prove very useful.