Code of Conduct

Question Help me i'm new!

Hi everyone,

I'm a 19 year old university student and I'm completely new to buying aftershave. It sounds pathetic but I always thought you only wore aftershave on dates etc. and until recently I was in a 'long term' relationship and didn't see the need to wear any. If I ever did feel the need to wear something I would just borrow from my dad's collection but I'm starting to realise they're sort of dated. For the older generation you might say. One of his fragrances that I do like is Boucheron Pour Homme but whilst this smells good when I'm at work or studying I'm guessing it isn't really suitable for going out. I'm really just looking for some advice. I mean ideally I would have a large collection of aftershaves for all occasions but for starts what would you recommend for a young male who wants to make an impact in the pub/club dating scene? I was recently given a sample of Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male and I actually really liked it. Is this suitable? To me it smells very soft, like chocolate or vanilla, is this really the masculine smell that young women are looking for? Like I said I'm new I'm sorry if I've said anything stupid thanks for any replies greatly appreciated

Default Re: Help me i'm new!

Perhaps Bleu De Chanel might work.

Overcome By Fumes

Some people never wear fragrance and they seem to survive just fine, so there is no "need" to wear fragrance.

Most people here like the experience of wearing fragrance, and therefore wear what pleases them, with a secondary interest of it being attractive and pleasing to others, although for some that secondary interest is of more importance than to other people here.

I am of the opinion that you should sniff samples of various things and then try some of these for a few wearings before you decide what you want to buy for yourself. Different women and men all may have very different tastes, so buying what you like and find pleasing to wear is your best bet, since you can be certain then that at least one person will like it. Trying to wear "what women are looking for" is very elusive since, believe it or not, women have different tastes and one may love what another will hate. If 60 women love a fragrance but the one you like doesn't, well, you haven't done yourself any major favor.

There are two ends of a spectrum and you may decide for yourself where on this spectrum you would like to be. At one end are very safe, popular fragrances that many of your peers are wearing and that will smell familiar and "normal" to them but will rarely be especially interesting or outstanding. At the other end are unusual or less popular fragrances that most of your peers will not be wearing and that some may find "very this" or "too that" but which have a greater chance of standing out as exceptional and interesting. Some "dated" or more kindly put, "classic" fragrances may, for a young person, fall toward the latter end of the spectrum. There is nothing wrong with Boucheron pour Homme, and there are definitely people who would find that a very pleasant fragrance in all age groups. I very much doubt that the fragrance you wear to a club will make or break your "impact", but wearing something that you like and that makes you feel comfortable and confident is certainly in your favor.

Some people like Le Male, and would find it ideal for clubbing. I don't like it, myself, but that should have no bearing on your decision about it. If you like that kind of fragrance, try Thierry Mugler A Men Pure Leather, which is also sweet and perhaps a touch richer to my nose.
    Last edited by docluv45; 11th January 2013 at 02:11 AM.

Basenotes Plus

I still don't have much of a collection, but my top three lady killers would be Bleu de Chanel by Chanel, Armani Code by Giorgio Armani, and One Million by Paco Rabanne. Personally, I don't wear fragrances just to attract women. I wear them for my own pleasure.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes!

The casual wearer tends to gravitate towards whatever is popular or trendy at the time. But whether you are wearing older or newer fragrances shouldn't really matter as the versatile (least offensive) fragrances tend to share similar notes such citruses, vanilla or sandalwood. It's not as if you're going to hang the fragrance bottle from the lapel of the jacket you're wearing.

I hear 'insecurity' is a big turn off for girls. So wear whatever makes you feel good and confident - that's what usually makes a guy attractive to a girl. Based on annecdotal evidence shared here on Basenotes, young women seem to prefer their guys to smell 'fresh'. So start spending time at the fragrance counters and sample those. Or go & order a bunch of samples online to figure out where your preference lie before you spring for a bottle.

Welcome!

In your email, you seem to use the word "aftershave" as the same as "perfume". Be aware that aftershave, technically, are perfumes that have a very low concentration, that is, they tend to be extremely fleeting, they're supposed just to freshen and disinfect after a shave. For something that lasts for an evening or the like, you need higher concentrations, so make sure the bottle says "eau de toilette", "cologne", or "eau de cologne". It can be confusing because certain popular frags may come in both concentrations, say, aftershave and eau de toilette, with the aftershave being much cheaper, in light of its lower concentration.

Regarding what to choose, as others have said, it is really hard to know what other people will like, tastes are so different. Many great perfumes can be difficult because they are so particular that some people are turned off. The two you mention are among the safest, in the sense that they don't have anything particular that could generate negative reactions. Another safe one is Terre d'Hermes (which is slightly citrusy). At the other extreme there's stuff like Kouros, that some consider the manliest and sexiest, and others perceive as an urinal. But most perfumes will be ok, as long as you don't spray too much: our nose cancels out the smells we're wearing, so while you may think you don't have much, others may be gassed out.

cacio

I agree with what many of the basenoters have said. However, if you're going to try to please women your age, then I'd start with many of the dept store scents as they are generally safe and well liked but not necessarily unique. Perhaps Bleu de Chanel or L'homme or it's flanker La Nuit is a place to start.

Basenotes Member

If you're starting out I'd also recommend Bleu de Chanel, but also the highly versatile Boss Bottled and perhaps Viktor and Rolf's Spicebomb.

Aftershaves aren't going to last terribly long. You are probably looking for a fragrance.

But if you really want aftershave, there are different schools of thought.
    If you have oily skin, an aftershave splash is a great toner. Lucky Tiger is a good citrus AS. Witch Hazel with a couple drops of lavender and rosewood EO is nice, too.
    If you have complex skin, the AS balms that are scented are perfect. They usually contain some alcohol, but also moisturizers.
    If you have dry skin, an AS balm without alcohol is what you need. Nivea for men has a good and cheap one with a mild pleasant scent.

Ultimately, it is your cologne(fragrance to a basenoter) that your dates/ dancing partner will smell.
    Unless you will be kissing ur date within a few hours of getting ready, your aftershave won't really be noticeable (and even then if you are wearing a mild AS most colognes will be the only thing she smells.)

Decades ago Old Spice was first marketed to women so the idea that something is masculine or feminine is as relative as is imaginable. Why not get some samples that are recommended and try them out? Aren't there any friends you can get advice from? Old brothers or cousins? It does seem like the sweet gourmands are popular among the late teen/early 20 something crowd, but it may be different where you are.

Try the usual suspects in the fragrance world and see what u like. If you want to know who the usual suspects are just go to youtube and type top 10 fragrace for men. Just watch a few videos and you will see which ones are mentioned many times. Good luck

wow thanks for all the advice guys and gals - really really appreciate it - I think I'm going to go to the stores this weekend and take home as many samples as possible - I know that when you first spray an EDT it smells a lot stronger than it will a couple of hours later so I'll put the one I think I like most on my wrist and see if I like it long term. I'll definitely try Bleu De Channel and all the others you've recommended.

I'm actually getting really interested in all this stuff. I was smelling the Jean Paul Gaultier and the Boucheron I have last night and I could really highlight the individual basenotes that it says are in it on this site. I must admit the high notes I couldn't smell. But honestly really thank you all so much for your time I hope you all read this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

At the other extreme there's stuff like Kouros, that some consider the manliest and sexiest, and others perceive as an urinal.

cacio
    HAHAHA thank you cacio I think I'll be cautious to begin with I don't want to accidentally smell like wee

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks docluv I got a lot of great tips from your post

- - - Updated - - -

Okay Nosebud thanks for clearing that one up I'm glad I didn't make that mistake I bet I would have ended up buying an 'aftershave' and had to keep topping up. I'll find an EDT

I am a 20 year old university student and I recommend you try both Yves Saint Laurent la nuit de l'homme for dates or the club. It works in class if you live in a cold area, just go easy the sprayer. Girls love la nuit de l'homme bro, I get compliments in class and on dates. If you are looking for something great for fall winter, sample it and see how it works with your skin.

Also, give Boss Bottled a try. It is not that unique but it is really versatile and unoffensive. Not nearly as good as la nuit for cuddle sessions, dates, or clubs.

Make sure you sample lots before you buy. I started fairly recently and probably wasted some money because I didn't wear the scents for long enough on my skin. Some I even bought after just the paper strips lol. Good luck and give those a shot!

If you are a perfume "newbie" my recommendation would be that your exploration should include the old male classics, since these are the perfumes that have inspired so many of the more modern themes. The best example is Cool Water by Davidoff, a technically innovative fragrance that started the whole marine/ozonic family tree.

Other classics are Drakkar Noir, Brut, Eternity for men, Fahrenheit, Habit Rouge (though sadly emasculated now by over-zealous legislation), plus perhaps a classic vetivert like Vetivert de Guerlain. As others have written, JPG is a remarkable fragrance but a little feminine for my tastes and not at all subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

In your email, you seem to use the word "aftershave" as the same as "perfume".
    In the UK, men tend to use "aftershave" like men in the US use the word "cologne." They just mean fragrance. I wonder if the OP is from the UK.

To the OP - if you really like Le Male, go for it. There's nothing wrong with it at all. To impress girls, be yourself, be confident, and don't overspray. But there's no one fragrance that will make them love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    In the UK, men tend to use "aftershave" like men in the US use the word "cologne." They just mean fragrance. I wonder if the OP is from the UK.

To the OP - if you really like Le Male, go for it. There's nothing wrong with it at all. To impress girls, be yourself, be confident, and don't overspray. But there's no one fragrance that will make them love you.
    Yeah, I guessed he was from UK as well. Interestingly, since I started reading basenotes, I've stopped using the word "aftershave" & started using "cologne" instead.

Le Male and Armani Code are both very good options for young men for nights out.