Code of Conduct

Default What Is Service Worth?

This comes up quite a bit in other fora that I am a member of. Usually after Gerry Harvey complains about GST-free internet shopping.

My thinking is that, if we want a better service culture in Australia, we need to encourage it. As a general rule, I find I get ignored in places like Myer and DJs, and am more inclined to use them for sampling/trying on, and then buy elsewhere at the best price I can get. Same goes with books, for which the local pricing cannot be justified.

However when I do get good service I feel more inclined to buy. For example, I bought some shoes last year locally, which I could have got for about 40% less online. However the sales assistant spent a lot of time helping me, discussing whether my foot was better in a different size for a different style, and so on. Before I took delivery, he took them out and gave them a mirror shine. Those sorts of people need to be rewarded, I think.

So last night I got another example of such service at Mecca. I was the only guy in the shop. The lady who served me was terrific, giving me different scents to try based on the feedback I gave her, with no pressure to buy. After quite a while we agreed that Chergui had been the one I tried that seemed to work best.

I have looked for Chergui on the net and can get it for 15% less offshore. But, if you factor in their GST overhead, Mecca's price is pretty close to that. So when I buy I will go to Mecca, and try to find that particular sales person and buy from her. Because she's worth it.

Default Re: What Is Service Worth?

I have found Mecca's service to be excellent. I have used them at Chadstone and the Myer store in Melbourne.
    The rest of the service at Myer is terrible. DJ's, not too bad.
    If I am getting good service, generally, I will buy from the store even though I know I can get it cheaper online.

A few weeks ago, I nearly bought some Caron from the Myer city store, but decided not to, as I didn't think the bottle was worth the $160+ (can't remember the exact price). Last night, I bought the same bottle, with GST included, from the Grays online outlet for $47.

I don't get why we have to pay soooo much more than our USA friends, when our $$$$ has more value than the US$. The GST does not account for the huge difference in prices. USA has to pay to import the products, just as the Aussie importers do.
    So why do we get ripped on everything? It is not just fragrances......A $36,000 motorcycle here in Oz, costs less than $20,000 in the USA.......Why?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    I don't get why we have to pay soooo much more than our USA friends, when our $$$$ has more value than the US$. The GST does not account for the huge difference in prices. USA has to pay to import the products, just as the Aussie importers do.
    So why do we get ripped on everything? It is not just fragrances......A $36,000 motorcycle here in Oz, costs less than $20,000 in the USA.......Why?
    I agree with your frustration, but the fact that Australia is so isolated and that we have such low volumes of sales (due to our small population) means that we'll usually have to pay more than our American counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by lotto View Post
    I agree with your frustration, but the fact that Australia is so isolated and that we have such low volumes of sales (due to our small population) means that we'll usually have to pay more than our American counterparts.
    That argument might have been valid in the 19th Century, but how does it explain Australians having to pay more for digital downloads than our US friends? And how come we individuals can land imports into the country cheaper than the likes of Harvey Norman, who have the advantage of bulk rates and trade discounts?

IMO, a lot of Australian retailers and distributors decided a while ago to adopt Australian pricing based on overheads and a poor rate of exchange that largely don't exist any more. They've locked that into their business models and are now refusing to give it up. Fair enough, but they need to give the customer something in return (like stellar service).

A guy I spoke to during the sales said that the shoes I bought from him were over $800 a year ago, but he couldn't do that any more. He knew his competition is now in Bond St, not Bourke St, and has acted accordingly. All of our retailers need to start doing this, or they will gradually disappear.

So, Mecca are charging you $150 for 50mls of Chergui - yes?

FragranceNet will charge you $75 + $14-$20 for shipping.

Send her some flowers instead.

Actually it looks like it's about 88 + 22 today. Still a lot cheaper, but Mecca won't be sending me spam emails every time I look at something in their shop. I find fragrancenet an exceptionally pushy organisation.

Turns out it's academic anyway. I got them to spray some on my wrist; my wife started sneezing as soon as I got back to the car. Deal-breaker.

Basenotes Member

It's $92 with free shipping coupon (free69) at FragranceX!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
    Actually it looks like it's about 88 + 22 today. Still a lot cheaper, but Mecca won't be sending me spam emails every time I look at something in their shop. I find fragrancenet an exceptionally pushy organisation.

:
    Create and use a new screen name when you surf-shop online. Then delete it. You can use a new one to buy also and do the same thing. That solves the emailing and spam problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
    A guy I spoke to during the sales said that the shoes I bought from him were over $800 a year ago
    :gasp!:
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Others might also gasp at what some people here are prepared to pay for cologne

I agree with the relative merits of the outlets discussed. I would'nt mind buying retail for the very few bottles that I would purchase, but every time I go back to DJ's and Myer there's a different SA, so there is no build up of relationship. Mecca is better, I agree.