Code of Conduct

Default MiN website/ Killian discontinued (and weird note)

So I'm checking the MIN New York website today and after reading a Memoir Man post below, discovered the 20% off code (luxismin) for the site. Clicked on the Killian button and they have this message:

"" Since MiN New York curates only the rarest niche scents from around the world, KILIAN 's COLLECTION has been discontinued.""

I found this rather curious as they carry some rather common brands like Taylor of old Bond St. and Dr. Harris (not exactly the rarest niche scents) along with Penhaligon's, MPG, L'Artisan, etc. I was rather looking forward to getting the 20% off on a couple Killians but obviously can't now. What do you think happened here? Personal quarrel maybe? I can see discontinuing a line if it's not selling but it almost sounds like "MiN curates only the rarest niche scents from around the world" is almost a dig on the company.

Hmmm ...

Default Re: MiN website/ Killian discontinued (and weird note)

I'm sure money has something to do with it!

A few months ago they sold off their old stock at discounted prices. People got so very good deals.

Less options and variety is never good.

Basenotes Plus

They haven't had Kilian products for quite some time. They show several brands on their brand list they no longer offer. Why they continue to list them, I'll never understand.

The choice to sever ties may not have been theirs.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    They haven't had Kilian products for quite some time. They show several brands on their brand list they no longer offer. Why they continue to list them, I'll never understand.
    Indeed. The entire site needs an over-haul if you ask me. Very poorly constructed.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    Indeed. The entire site needs an over-haul if you ask me. Very poorly constructed.
    I agree. The site is slow at times and the overall navigation is pretty bad.

They're not carrying Penhaligons any longer, either.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

They apparently didn't think Kilian was niche enough since they sold Frunkinator a 1000ml bottle of Back to Black. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_tJhFvq5Fg

Did Kilian go exclusive to Bergdorf in the NYC?
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Did Kilian go exclusive to Bergdorf in the NYC?
    Nope. Saks carries it as well.

I have become friends with a couple of the Kilian SA's from Saks, and have been told, that Kilian is very tough when it comes to sales, seeing the space in a place like Saks comes at a premium. My guess, MiN was not moving enough of the product and Kilian gave them an ultimatum to sell more or lose the line, and MiN told him to put it somewhere where the sun does not shine.

Still a shame; hopefully the reduced competition does not beget a price rise.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    They apparently didn't think Kilian was niche enough since they sold Frunkinator a 1000ml bottle of Back to Black. haha

That bottle looks cheap... such a disgrace for a brand so cool like ByKilian.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I think the bottle looks "cheap" simply because it's a HUGE bottle that no one would ever use or have sitting out. You would use that bottle to fill your keg, the keg could then look pretty sitting out and then you use that to fill your actual bottle. Not sure why anyone would ever need it at home, but if you have tons of money to burn, the keg is beautiful as well as the spray bottles and vaults.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post

Holy crap! That was one amazing set up they sent him. I wonder how much that cost. If they have that for Straight to Heaven, I just might want one for myself! lol
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

What does Kilian have to say about this?

How do we feel about MiN not offering Kilian any more?

Do we have a say?

for swap/sale:

That note is all spin. Kind of poor taste in my opinion to post such a thing.

I imagine that this change came from the direction of Killian not a decision from Min NewYork. There is no way they would discontinue Killian by their own decision! Min NY does offer to be a distributor and sales agent to other retailers for some of their brands and Killian was probably having too much success with the upper end market without Min New York's help. It's just a theory - but I think "sour grapes" is probably the correct idea. Being disappointed in Min New York's lack of sales to their end of the market, Killian probably dropped them. I doubt very seriously if it was Min's idea to drop Killian. Killian is just trying to support their more exclusive dealers and cut out the smaller competitors to their big customers.

I agree with buzzle puff too. It's in MiN's interest to offer Kilian. Not for sales only. For the sake of stating they are the Official retailers (for lack of better term) of Kilian.

Same with Le Labo in UAE. Le Labo cut the ties. Even though it was selling VERY well here.

They want either Harvey Nichols, Galeries Lafayette or Bloomingdale's to sell it. And last thing I heard, Harvey Nichols and Bloomingdale's will offer it in a few months. The LL counter at Paris Gallery shutdown months ago.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    That note is all spin. Kind of poor taste in my opinion to post such a thing.
    Indeed, I kind of lost respect for MiN NY after having posted such a thing. Even if it was not their doing (which we really don't know), the post screams childish bitterness-no offense intended to those who love store (I have been their customer as well, as I live in NYC.)

Aedes de Venustas still carries the line, so I guess they are also "sellouts"? See how inappropriate that post is? Granted, Aedes has a longstanding reputation selling niche fragrances, so I imagine Mr. Kilian wouldn't take the line away from them. But my point is that if it's "niche enough" for some shops, why isn't it "niche enough" for MiN? In short, that posting doesn't make sense, making them look bad, rather than the By Kilian line-it's not logical to claim that every other store that carries By Kilian perfumes are not "dedicated" to sell the "rarest" niche fragrances out there.

It would be in their best interests to delete that note, or remove all By Kilian products from their website. That note can only make them lose business, rather than turning people away from the By Kilian brand (which is what the author probably had in mind, while in an angry, bitter outburst.)