Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Sova (first impressions and topic)

    (Precursor to the thread topic)

    Fragrance is a funny thing, isn't it? You can spend weeks and even months looking for the right scent. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Well, a few months ago now I tried Chergui and Chene from Serge Lutens. I really loved both, but was hesitant to buy Chene since I hear the wax samples are nothing like the actual fragrance in some cases. I held off despite loving its pencil like woods (usually don't like that), maple sort of edge, and subtle smokiness.

    Now, here I am applying my very first sample from Slumberhouse after Josh so kindly sent me 10 samples (!) instead of the normal 5, all at no additional cost. One of them, naturally, was Sova. Let me tell you guys, this one is a beauty.

    (Actual thread topic)

    Consider this a first opinion for me on Sova (I actually plan on making a thread encompassing all 10 samples once I am done trying them all once):

    The opening of this is very, very bold. I get tobacco, and upon application, it is a very dry tobacco with some supporting sweetness in the background somewhere. Perhaps it is a bit of cocoa. Still, the opening is VERY complex, and the more I smell it now, the more I like it. To be fair, it was slightly off-putting at first, but now I’m warming up to it. The opening almost has a bit of smokiness in the back, but not Aventus smoky, more like burning wood in a hearth fire smoky. It's got some sort of maple feel to it, which could be a burnt sugar type of smell, or it could be a combination of ingredients that make it smell that way, but it's very unique and quite pleasant. After settling down, Sova doesn't change too much (probably a result of Josh hating top notes and not using them), but does mellow down into a sweeter version of itself, also stepping up the beeswax/honey smell, while slowly combining with the smoky woods in the back. It's hard to describe after only one wearing, but it so fondly reminds me of the wax sample I have of Chene by Serge Lutens, only somehow more complex and wearable. I sprayed it once from the small sample sprayer and 8 hours later it is still going strong!



    I highly recommend everyone check this one out, and if you order the sample set be sure to add it to your order (it's a few dollars more if I recall correctly). I'm sure I'm not steering most of you to something new, but I hope I explained it well enough.

    What do you all think of Sova? I know I'm impressed and may just purchase a bottle in the near future.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 7th February 2013 at 04:01 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Sounds pretty good.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    I was informed by Josh that tabanon is a tobacco molecule which gives it somewhat of that tobacco feel, along with that I get a big dose of the hops in the beginning and it evolves slightly and gets sweeter as it goes on.

    He also told me this was the most potent he's made yet, which is saying something...but I can confirm this will last a good 2 days if you don't specifically wash it off.

  4. #4
    Dependent Birdboy48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bend Oregon USA
    Posts
    1,114

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    It now comes in the flat-topped round bottles with the etched title.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    More smoke from Slumberhouse? I could do without that, personally. That's what's keeping me from buying a bottle of Norne. Yeah, it dies off and becomes a nice scent, but until then, it's just so.....smoky!

    Disappointed to hear Sova is smoky, too.

  6. #6
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    More smoke from Slumberhouse? I could do without that, personally. That's what's keeping me from buying a bottle of Norne. Yeah, it dies off and becomes a nice scent, but until then, it's just so.....smoky!

    Disappointed to hear Sova is smoky, too.
    It's not super smoky by any means. It supports the fragrance in a way that seems necessary. It's really in the background though, and the high points of the fragrance are around hour 5 when you get that hay/honey/maple thing going on. I still highly recommend it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Thanks, Octa. I've been looking at this one wondering what it's really about.

    I'm tempted to order the Sl.House sample set, as I love Norne and Olive + Pear. They're also the only 2 that I've tried.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

  8. #8

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Wearing Sova again today for the first time in quite a while. After about an hour I'm getting a large dose of Beeswax, hops and hay. I'm not sure if the smoky vibe is coming from a combination of notes that I'm not too familiar with...like the beeswax and hay together playing a trick on my mind. Because when I give it a good, big sniff what I really get is the beeswax, NO smoke and a strange accord I am not familiar with. I guess that could have been what Josh was going with in Sova as his web copy for Sova looks like credits for a screenplay.

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,790

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    A friend of mine had it. tried it and didn't care for it at all.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    I'm still trying to wrap my head around it...definitely not my favorite in the house. I prefer Baque to Sova.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A friend of mine had it. tried it and didn't care for it at all.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Own it, like it, IMO FB worthy - buy it b4 they run out of it...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    I bought a bottle blindly, about two minutes after receiving Josh's eblast announcement. Thinking it would be limited run, I had to scoop it up and at least give it a shot.

    Sova has too much going on IMO...after about 7 hours it mellows out, but it screams for the first 6-7 hours, loud animalic tones. I think I might offload this bottle as I much prefer Baque and it simplicity.

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Own it, like it, IMO FB worthy - buy it b4 they run out of it...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    I own it too, and this one's very boozy on me. To the point where several people asked me if I'd been drinking.

    And for those concerned about the smoke: it's definitely there, but not as prominent as Jeke or Baque. His smoke notes are less cigarette/tobacco/cigar though, and more ashy smolder. While I do love it, I err toward Baque as well (although that's way smokier) for the simplicity.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    I'll join those who prefer Baque, but they are both fine scents and different enough that I enjoy having both.

  15. #15
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Odd that many prefer Baque. In found that to be like a stripped down version (less complex) of sova. Sova is one of my very favorite scents.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  16. #16

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    I have found the same. Baque is more simple and I enjoy it much more than Sova. There's a particularly strong note that's really been bothering me all day, smells like overly charred beeswax. I can't seem to shake it as it seems to be giving me a headache.

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Odd that many prefer Baque. In found that to be like a stripped down version (less complex) of sova. Sova is one of my very favorite scents.
    - - - Updated - - -

    So, I just noticed the small decant that Josh provided of Sova in one of my last purchases has green juice. The bottle that I initially purchased the day he launched the fragrance is a darker amber color. Does anyone know of variations in color and smell of his first launch and most recent batch?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    So, I just noticed the small decant that Josh provided of Sova in one of my last purchases has green juice. The bottle that I initially purchased the day he launched the fragrance is a darker amber color. Does anyone know of variations in color and smell of his first launch and most recent batch?
    He increased the strength from earlier runs of Sova to the one he has right now. The final batch of Baque was also stronger with a bit more amber than normal. Aside from that, they haven't changed that much. Grev is the only one that I've seen change dramatically.

  18. #18
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I have found the same. Baque is more simple and I enjoy it much more than Sova. There's a particularly strong note that's really been bothering me all day, smells like overly charred beeswax. I can't seem to shake it as it seems to be giving me a headache.



    - - - Updated - - -

    So, I just noticed the small decant that Josh provided of Sova in one of my last purchases has green juice. The bottle that I initially purchased the day he launched the fragrance is a darker amber color. Does anyone know of variations in color and smell of his first launch and most recent batch?
    He mentioned to me in the past that the first iterations of Sova are nothing like the newer ones, but that depends on how old your bottle is...I know at one point it was called like Tunis Mills or something. Mine is the newest extrait version and it has dark amber/brown juice.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  19. #19

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    The juice that I used today was of the darker juice in the new batch you've described. It was provided in a recent purchase from him directly. As for the bottle I have, I purchased it in August when he first announced the release of Sova. The in the bottle looks exactly like the one pictured in top of the thread. The newer version that I tried today was very strong and a bit harsh, and gave me a headache. I guess I'll have to re-visit my bottle before I up and sell it.

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    He mentioned to me in the past that the first iterations of Sova are nothing like the newer ones, but that depends on how old your bottle is...I know at one point it was called like Tunis Mills or something. Mine is the newest extrait version and it has dark amber/brown juice.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    I recently got this and yeah it was not what I was expecting, I was a little disappointed with my first run. From the notes on the website I was expecting something dark and boozey. Much like the OP my first hit was this dry arid tobacco accord with the faint hints of sweetness in the background.

    Upon trying it further times I've warmed too it although I secretly wish it was a bit boozier and sweeter but instead its dark, woody, smokey - quite masclune - and over the course of the drydown the sweeter notes faintly become more noticable. Projection and longevity are excellent. So well worth a look.

    My bottle was the newer one, slightly different from the pic and dark juice.

    Also have a bottle of Baque on the way so very much looking forward to trying that.

    Actually come to think of it, I didn't like Vickt at first either, I thought it was too pine heavy and even though I got some compliments upon wearing it, I was unconvinced. But second round I was actually observing some of the sweet, medicinal like notes of Jubilation XXV coming through in a very warm and cosy base.

    I will have to keep that trend in mind for when I try baque, my expectations of it are pretty high from reading all the comments and reviews in recent months.

    Eitherway slumberhouse and Josh are definitely worth acquiring or at the least sampling and keeping an eye on what they deliver next.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

  21. #21

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    I dont get too much into the batches / variations, but the Sova I got is the weakest Slumberhouse I've bought to date, which surprises me as all others have lasted really long & had excellent projection. This one was more in the 4-6 hr range. i still like it though.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    This one was more in the 4-6 hr range.
    Wow, not mine. The bottle I have is NUCLEAR.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    OK now I'd like to hear more about Baque since I enjoy Sova so much as it is, and some of you seem to prefer it to Sova. I can well imagine it coming somewhere between Sova and Jeke, but what's this stewed fruit / apricot / raisin note that some folks here speak of - how prominently does it figure in Baque and is it significantly sweeter than Sova? And are there folks who prefer Sova / Jeke to Baque, and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I dont get too much into the batches / variations, but the Sova I got is the weakest Slumberhouse I've bought to date, which surprises me as all others have lasted really long & had excellent projection. This one was more in the 4-6 hr range. i still like it though.
    My Slumberhouses last forever - well OK they're at their best at around 6-10 hours (unless I get any of it on something like a jacket, in which case we're potentially talking about weeks or a big dry-cleaning bill).

  24. #24

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    OK now I'd like to hear more about Baque since I enjoy Sova so much as it is, and some of you seem to prefer it to Sova. I can well imagine it coming somewhere between Sova and Jeke, but what's this stewed fruit / apricot / raisin note that some folks here speak of - how prominently does it figure in Baque and is it significantly sweeter than Sova? And are there folks who prefer Sova / Jeke to Baque, and why?
    Baque is considerably less sweet than Sova, and the only stewed fruit that comes through (at least in contrast to Rume, which is all stewed fruit) is apricot -- but it reads more as creamy note than as fruit. You'd be hard-pressed to identify anything fruity at all going on in Baque to be honest.

    Sova is an incredibly complex scent -- but one that I'd argue is still very well balanced given how many thing are in it. Baque is stripped back in comparison. What you mainly get is an huge amount of smoke, a slight booziness, and some creamy amber that's undercut by the hay note of Sova. Honestly, for as close as they are, I love them both.

    I wouldn't align Baque to Jeke except for the fact that the smoke level is about the same. Jeke's leather note is more prominent to my nose, and Baque doesn't have that at all.

    Unless you don't have a highly discriminate nose -- which, if you're buying Slumberhouse fragrances you probably do -- you might say that Jeke, Baque, and Sova are all variants on a similar concept. Josh really has a few signature moves: the ashy smoke thing, the balsamic thing, and the mulled fruit thing. Baque, Jeke, and Sova form the ashy / smoky component of his line.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Baque is considerably less sweet than Sova, and the only stewed fruit that comes through (at least in contrast to Rume, which is all stewed fruit) is apricot -- but it reads more as creamy note than as fruit. You'd be hard-pressed to identify anything fruity at all going on in Baque to be honest.

    Sova is an incredibly complex scent -- but one that I'd argue is still very well balanced given how many thing are in it. Baque is stripped back in comparison. What you mainly get is an huge amount of smoke, a slight booziness, and some creamy amber that's undercut by the hay note of Sova. Honestly, for as close as they are, I love them both.

    I wouldn't align Baque to Jeke except for the fact that the smoke level is about the same. Jeke's leather note is more prominent to my nose, and Baque doesn't have that at all.

    Unless you don't have a highly discriminate nose -- which, if you're buying Slumberhouse fragrances you probably do -- you might say that Jeke, Baque, and Sova are all variants on a similar concept. Josh really has a few signature moves: the ashy smoke thing, the balsamic thing, and the mulled fruit thing. Baque, Jeke, and Sova form the ashy / smoky component of his line.
    Thanks for this, deadidol - the stewed fruit reference did make me think of Rume (which I still don't get along terribly well with, despite my efforts). I enjoy both Sova and Jeke though, and from your description it does increasingly appear that Baque might be the missing link I need to seek out.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Sova (first impressions and topic)

    Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    Thanks for this, deadidol - the stewed fruit reference did make me think of Rume (which I still don't get along terribly well with, despite my efforts). I enjoy both Sova and Jeke though, and from your description it does increasingly appear that Baque might be the missing link I need to seek out.
    I like Rume, but I find it a little harder to get along with as well. It's less transitional for me, and can be hard to separate from "holidays." Slumberhouse is such a wonderful example of innovation for me though that even the scents that I don't particularly like that much (Vikt, Grev, Ore) still strike me art -- and so I'd wear them now and again to invoke the kind of feeling I might get from trying to read / understand a challenging work of art. My main interest in fragrance is aesthetics and artistic creation -- not compliments, not panty-raiding, not dominating others' scents. Slumberhouse is one of the few houses whose only concern is aesthetic originality, and so even the most difficult scents that he produces are immensely valuable for my needs.

    I'd say Sova is more "pleasing" in that Baque really blasts you with the smoke. With that said, it's totally worth tracking down.
    Last edited by deadidol; 20th April 2013 at 09:49 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Slumberhouse SOVA
    By Fhaoilgeal in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 9th February 2013, 10:39 PM
  2. Where did the off topic go?
    By Indiscreet in forum Community Centre Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th April 2007, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000