Code of Conduct

Default Creed Original Vetiver

I received a sample of Creed Original Vetiver a few months ago, and am finally getting around to trying it. I'm struck by how much my sample (1) doesn't smell like it has much vetiver, and (2) smells a lot like Mugler Cologne. I got it from TPC, so I know it's not a fake or a substitution, but my question is simply this: is my nose playing tricks, is the sample bad, or do these two smell a lot alike?
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Default Re: Creed Original Vetiver

My guess is that your nose is playing tricks.

OV has that mild vetiver presence. But it is in there.I would say it's good for an introduction to vetiver.

It does smell a lot like Mugler Cologne, yes.

It doesn't smell like the "vetiver" that many expect. Clean, green soapy.

I agree with both of your assumptions. Especially with the second (I actually prefer Mugler Cologne over OV).

To my nose they smell a lot alike with OV smelling a bit "darker" and more full. I find OV to be slightly more interesting in the long run.

Original Vetiver is a mild, friendly fragrance with no vetiver "bite" at all. So I'm not too terribly surprised.

It's really not a very good vetiver if it doesn't smell anything like vetiver. Why waste your time when there are so many other wonderful vetivers out there? Try Guerlain, Carven, Chantecaille, Givenchy, Sycomore, Vetiver Extraoridinaire, even Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is better than the Creed.

I've used OV quite a bit since late 2009 (it was my first Creed) and I can definitely vouch that there is vetiver in it! But as others have said it's not in a high concentration, nor is it smoky as some might expect vetiver scents to be.

I would wait until the area on your skin has completely dried down. You should be able to detect the vetiver note then.

It has been compared to Muglers for years though I prefer OV. I find that the heat brings out it's best qualities and I only wear it in the Summer or Spring on sunny days.

Banned
    Blog Entries

original vetiver uses the vetiver leaves, not just the root.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    It has been compared to Muglers for years though I prefer OV. I find that the heat brings out it's best qualities and I only wear it in the Summer or Spring on sunny days.
    This is exactly my experience. It's not a great cold weather vetiver. Use Encre Noire for cold weather; swap out for Creed OV when the temps rise.

How is vetiver supposed to smell? Like L'Occitanes Vetiver?

Original Vetiver is very similar to Mugler Cologne. There is vetiver there, but it is not what people think of as a vetiver fragrance, since the vetiver does not take center stage with a strong bite.

is my nose playing tricks, NO
    is the sample bad, NO
    or do these two smell a lot alike? YES
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Interesting. I don't much like vetiver, and that's why I avoided this one for years; but now I'm thinking I may end up with a bottle of O.V. if the longevity is good. That's my major complaint with Mugler. Will I get five or so hours out of this one? My sample seem to last that long, but I didn't have enough to really judge.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I received a sample of Creed Original Vetiver a few months ago, and am finally getting around to trying it. I'm struck by how much my sample (1) doesn't smell like it has much vetiver, and (2) smells a lot like Mugler Cologne. I got it from TPC, so I know it's not a fake or a substitution, but my question is simply this: is my nose playing tricks, is the sample bad, or do these two smell a lot alike?
    I would say your nose is fine. To me it is massively similar to Mugler Cologne and neither has much of a Vetiver smel

I would say your nose is fine. To me it is massively similar to Mugler Cologne and neither has much of a Vetiver smell. Both are, however sublime imo!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Original Vetiver is very similar to Mugler Cologne. There is vetiver there, but it is not what people think of as a vetiver fragrance, since the vetiver does not take center stage with a strong bite.

is my nose playing tricks, NO
    is the sample bad, NO
    or do these two smell a lot alike? YES
    I am disapointed to hear this! I got several samples from PC recently including Mugler Cologne and OV. I do not like the Mugler on me, it smells too feminine. But I have been holding onto my tiny sample of OV for just the right occasion to wear. I hope it smells at least more masculine on my skin!

I know that I usually get a good 4-5 hours out of my bottle of OV. It has good projection and as you can tell, stays pretty linear throughout. Muglar basically disappears within and hour or so on my skin and is barely noticeable even with 5 sprays.

I sold my 125ml bottle of OV and bought Mugler Cologne for a fraction of the cost. I honestly can barely tell the difference!

Hmmm.... where can I get MC in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Hmmm.... where can I get MC in the UK?
    muglerstore.co.uk, debenhams online and some stores

I enjoy Mugler, but don't intend to replace my bottle when it runs out because it has the worst longevity of almost any cologne I've tried.

If OV lasts four or five hours, I have a feeling it's next on my purchase list.
    Current Top Five:

I enjoy Mugler, but don't intend to replace my bottle when it runs out because it has the worst longevity of almost any cologne I've tried.

If OV lasts four or five hours, I have a feeling it's next on my purchase list.
    I get longer from MC than OV, but both poor in that respect