Code of Conduct

Default Fleurs de Citronnier OR Fleur du Male?

Hello, everybody!

I have been looking for a nice male citrus blossom based fragrance and now am racking my brains over which one to chose: Serge Lutens' Fleurs de Citronnier OR J.P.Gaultier Fleur du Male. The former is marketed as a unisex and the latter as a male fragrance but both of them are most often called too feminine so I ended up completely confused.

What is your opinion, which of these two is less feminine and more appropriate for a guy to wear in late spring early summer?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!
    Last edited by Wooster; 11th January 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Default Re: Fleurs de Citronnier OR Fleur du Male?

I prefer Fleurs de Citronnier to Fleur du Male, as I find it to be brighter and more cheery. I don't find either very feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    I prefer Fleurs de Citronnier to Fleur du Male, as I find it to be brighter and more cheery. I don't find either very feminine.
    Thanks, Marque, for your comment which is greatly appreciated!

can't give an informed comment here since I have never tried Fleurs de Citronnier, but I absolutely LOVE Fleur du Male. FdM is a bit strong so I might be less inclined to wear it on a warm day
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Fleur du Male the EDT version is more on the gardenia than citrus blossom (cannot smell any citrus or orange blossom in this one) and it smells nothing similar to Fleur de Citronnier. Between the two FdM is much much more feminine smelling

Fleur de Citronnier doesn't smell floral, it smells baby powdery and milky to my nose. The scent also smells really bad in the drydown on my skin so it is not a good blind buy

Coincidentally, if you can find the EDC version of FdM (called La Cologne Fleur de Male) then it smells almost identical to Fleur de Citronnier with a slight barbershop twist in the opening and a much better drydown

I don't know the Lutens fragrance but I will just say that FDM is not a citrus scent. (Unless you include orange blossom but to me that is floral). I don't know about unisex either, I think it would be interesting on certain women.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    can't give an informed comment here since I have never tried Fleurs de Citronnier, but I absolutely LOVE Fleur du Male. FdM is a bit strong so I might be less inclined to wear it on a warm day
    Thank you, SteelerOpera, for your opinion!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Fleur du Male the EDT version is more on the gardenia than citrus blossom (cannot smell any citrus or orange blossom in this one) and it smells nothing similar to Fleur de Citronnier. Between the two FdM is much much more feminine smelling

Fleur de Citronnier doesn't smell floral, it smells baby powdery and milky to my nose. The scent also smells really bad in the drydown on my skin so it is not a good blind buy

Coincidentally, if you can find the EDC version of FdM (called La Cologne Fleur de Male) then it smells almost identical to Fleur de Citronnier with a slight barbershop twist in the opening and a much better drydown
    Thanks a lot, Jasonx, I just would not mind a slight barbershop twist at all but I was convinced for some reason that I could get it rather from FdC, now I feel I can be mistaken on that score...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I don't know the Lutens fragrance but I will just say that FDM is not a citrus scent. (Unless you include orange blossom but to me that is floral). I don't know about unisex either, I think it would be interesting on certain women.
    Thanks, Martinijo, I was just looking for something based on exactly citrus blossom (lemon or orange tree blossom e.g. floral) and not exactly on citrus as there are lots and lots of citrus based colognes. Citrus florals for men are few and far between...!

Well, I'd definitely not recommend a blind buy of Fleurs de Citronnier. I bought it years ago because of its absolutely lovely opening (a citrus bloom blast with a tuberose touch I think). It further develops into a rather generic, mostly synthetic in feel rather undefinable woody base for me.
    Fleur du Male is, if you like Le Male and orange blossom smells in general, very nice. It smells like a synthetic fragrance through and through, however. I once had a female working colleague (she is very trendy, well-dressed and all that) come into my room and say 'Wow, who smells so nicely of orange blossom here?'.

Fleur du Male

Skip both and try Xerjoff’s Kobe.

Fleur du Male

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Well, I'd definitely not recommend a blind buy of Fleurs de Citronnier. I bought it years ago because of its absolutely lovely opening (a citrus bloom blast with a tuberose touch I think). It further develops into a rather generic, mostly synthetic in feel rather undefinable woody base for me.
    Fleur du Male is, if you like Le Male and orange blossom smells in general, very nice. It smells like a synthetic fragrance through and through, however. I once had a female working colleague (she is very trendy, well-dressed and all that) come into my room and say 'Wow, who smells so nicely of orange blossom here?'.
    Thank you so much, Larimar, for your opinion! Most definitely the synthetic nature of Fleur du Male (as well as of its step brother Custo Barcelona Man which is another neroli based creation from Francis Kurkidjan) is somewhat discouraging so Fleurs de Citronnier appears a bit more natural and friendly... But if people around you can unmistakably determine the orange blossom scent from Fleur du Male this is really great and worth trying!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Hednic and sjg3839 for your votes!
    Last edited by Wooster; 11th January 2013 at 05:59 PM.

Updated
    Last edited by Wooster; 11th January 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks, Martinijo, I was just looking for something based on exactly citrus blossom (lemon or orange tree blossom e.g. floral) and not exactly on citrus as there are lots and lots of citrus based colognes. Citrus florals for men are few and far between...![/QUOTE]

AS someone stated there's no getting away from the fact that it's very synthetic smelling, but if you want an unmistakable orange blossom this could be right. Regarding what you said about the lack of citrus/floral scents, I have taken to using one spray of FDM and one spray of Cerruti 1881 for a potent extra floral with a strong citrus presence concoction which probably sounds terrible to most but I advise anyone who has access to the two to give it a try.
    One last point, although FDM doesn't really come across like Le Male, it does eventually dry down to the same familiar base, just slightly less pronounced. You might want to take this into account when choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Skip both and try Xerjoff’s Kobe.
    Portario, thank you for such an unexpected suggestion! Upon a close study of the description of Xerjoff's Kobe I think this may be a great alternative for both Fleurs de Citronnier and Fleurs du Male, a bit pricey though... (Now MFK's APOM which I have been also considering seems to be dirt cheap compared with Kobe)! At least one thing is sure about Kobe - it is bound to be a gorgeous citrus blossom frag without any gender issues! Purely masculine! Thanks a lot! Live and learn...

- - - Updated - - -

Martinijo, that is most helpful!
    I will definitely bear that in mind when choosing! Your technique of layering FDM and Cerriti 1881 is really interesting and promising!
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion!
    Last edited by Wooster; 11th January 2013 at 06:23 PM.

Actually, since you mentioned it, MFK's APOM might also fit the bill for what you're looking for. I'd recommend that one as well.

I'm sampling today the EDC version and also think it's quite similar to Fleurs de Citronnier

Actually, since you mentioned it, MFK's APOM might also fit the bill for what you're looking for. I'd recommend that one as well.
    OK, thanks Portario! Actually I remembered I had a 5 ml tester of MFK's APOM and immediately unearthed it to try. Well, the juice is really fantastic but I would say it's more about amber and cedar (incredible longevity and gleaming aura, by the way!). But to my taste it is a wee bit too unearthly... I mean it is kind of far from real citrus blossom scent but reminds me of something from higher spheres far from this world... Incredible experience anuway!...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lgarruda View Post
    I'm sampling today the EDC version and also think it's quite similar to Fleurs de Citronnier
    Thanks, Igarruda! I feel I should definitely find the EDC version of Fleur du Male to compare it to EDT and to Fleurs de Citronnier!

If you're looking for citrus blossom with some citrus in it as well, I'd still recommend getting a tester vial of Xerjoff's Kobe. It can be spendy, but if you look around, you might be able to get a good deal on it. Especially if you go for the Shooting Stars sample set.

I'm having a feeling that if you want a floral smell you should look more in the direction of orange blossom (the floral note on top of the amber in APOM) since citrus blossom (not that I have much experience with the note, only smell it in FdM EDC & FdC) doesn't smell floral to me. IMO orange blossom is the most male friendly out of all floral notes

Some orange blossom that you might interested in testing, they are quite green and true to the flower as well as have a slight classic eau de cologne smell to them
    Castile - Penhaligon's
    Fleur D'Oranger - Serge Lutens
    Neroli - Czech & Speak
    Last edited by jasonx; 12th January 2013 at 06:44 PM.

If you're looking for citrus blossom with some citrus in it as well, I'd still recommend getting a tester vial of Xerjoff's Kobe. It can be spendy, but if you look around, you might be able to get a good deal on it. Especially if you go for the Shooting Stars sample set.
    OK, Portario, thanks a lot! To tell you the truth Xerjoff had been Terra Incognita for me until recently when I tried Xerjoff's "1861" and was absolutely taken aback by the most natural citrus notes in it and overall excellence of this fragrance. It is from you that I heard about Kobe from the Shooting star collection and got immediately interested in it! So I am pretty sure that it is an absolute must try and subsequently have! If only it didn't cost the Earth! :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I'm having a feeling that if you want a floral smell you should look more in the direction of orange blossom (the floral note on top of the amber in APOM) since citrus blossom (not that I have much experience with the note, only smell it in FdM EDC & FdC) doesn't smell floral to me. IMO orange blossom is the most male friendly out of all floral notes

Some orange blossom that you might interested in testing, they are quite green and true to the flower as well as have a slight classic eau de cologne smell to them
    Castile - Penhaligon's
    Fleur D'Oranger - Serge Lutens
    Neroli - Czech & Speak
    Thanks, Jasonx, I appreciated your suggestion very much as I am fond of classic genleman's eaux de cologne and really admire green notes in them (for example Concentree d'Orange Verte of Hermes and Castile of Pen's which I already have in my collection)!

As for orange blossom scents I had quite an opposite experience with them - almost all of them were marketed as feminine - SL's Fleur d'Oranger, Penhaligon's Orange Blossom, Joe Malone's Orange Blossom etc. Pen's Orange Blossom seems to be most suitable for men although it is often described as "sweetish" "messy" etc. SL's Fleur d'Oranger is quite promising but heaps of jasmine ans tuberose in it make me think that it is even more feminine than Fleurs de Citronnier. So I really feel I should investigate more in that direction and do some field testing of Fleur d'Oranger to see how it behaves :-)!

Czech and Speake's Neroli seems to be a fab frag although its longevity is questioned by most basenoters. Unfortunately it seems to be a rare guest in Russia :-)

FLEUR DU MALE no doubt about it!!
    I use it everyday and what a scent!!! Lasts like a beast too!

Thank you, Uruk-hai!
    I have just tested Fleur du Male at last and found it absolutely fantastic! Very unique!

- - - Updated - - -

Dear friends!

Thank you so much for your help!

I gathered from your comments the following:

1) Fleurs du Male is tremendously popular, utterly synthetic, more feminine than Fleurs du Citronnier;
    2) Fleurs du Citronnier is quite particular in the drydown;
    3) Another great male citrus blossom fragrances are APOM by MFK and Kobe by Xerjoff.

I finally decided to go for Fleurs de Citronnier as it is seems to be more natural and conveys better the idea of Italian citrus groves in bloom.

Good luck to everybody!
    Last edited by Wooster; 24th January 2013 at 05:52 AM.