Code of Conduct
    Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Red face King of Oakmoss: what is the best oakmoss dominated perfume in your opinion ?

Oakmoss is an interesting ingredient that use regularly in the 80s.

There are a lot oakmoss based fragrance, but which one do you consider the best rendering of oakmoss ?

I have not tried the classic Chanel PM, but from what I own, New York by Parfums de Nicolai is amazing, really classy, it is not too potent & not too calm.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: King of Oakmoss: what is the best oakmoss dominated perfume in your opinion ?

Mitsouko by Guerlain, vintage extrait of course.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: King of Oakmoss: what is the best oakmoss dominated perfume in your opinion ?

Trumpers Eucris and Murdocks Fougere have a good dose of oakmoss that can be smelled without having to track down old vintage frags.

Some that I own are AdP Colonia Essenza and Aventus. I also have Azzaro PH. All of them have a nice play on oakmoss, but it's too close to call for me between the AdP and Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Trumpers Eucris..
    Gah, beat me to it

Easily the best oakmoss frag I own - I find that the heartnotes of Aventus are quite similar to Eucris (the blackcurrant and oakmoss combo).
    Although I find Eucris to be more linear (and less long-lasting) than Aventus, who really cares when it has such a fantastic accord for the majority of its (still very good) longevity?

I like my Aventus, but I love my Eucris.

Another for Eucris. Love that juice.

Just a guess - Teasing by Melfleurs

Ghiadilev & N`Aimez Que Moi (extract) but in the dry down.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Mitsouko by Guerlain, vintage extrait of course.
    a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y
    P-o-s-i-t-i-v-e-l-y

Adding also C&S Oxford and Cambridge.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Gah, beat me to it

Easily the best oakmoss frag I own - I find that the heartnotes of Aventus are quite similar to Eucris (the blackcurrant and oakmoss combo).
    Although I find Eucris to be more linear (and less long-lasting) than Aventus, who really cares when it has such a fantastic accord for the majority of its (still very good) longevity?

I like my Aventus, but I love my Eucris.
    Was hoping to try this out in London soon, so I may try and go this weekend. I love my Trumper's products. When I started wet shaving, I was using their stuff more or less exclusively.

The Eucris is definitely on my list and that includes the new(ish) shaving soap!!

Haven't tried that many, BUT;

Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge

Is very good!

Edited- And I just put it on now, and smells fantastic. The lavender has a nice vibe to it.
    Last edited by Matkinson; 10th January 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Burberry London

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Another vote for vintage Mitsouko. It's reference quality imo.

Eucris's moss is very strong, green-rotten, I'd say. Vintage Mitsouko is smooth and rich. And of course vintage Chypre has the thing in full view.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

I have never smelled Eucris, I had no idea it was so oakmoss prominent.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

only a question: when vintage Mitsouko is "vintage"? it exists since 1920..... until when, we can call "vintage Mitsouko"?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Another vote for vintage Mitsouko. It's reference quality imo.
    I agree. It is of reference quality!
    Last edited by southerngardens; 10th January 2013 at 09:09 PM.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Plus

Borrowing from Providence Perfume Co.:

"An Ode to Oakmoss...

Hello you sticky brown thing! You lichen you! How have you been? I'm sorry I ignored you all summer. You just weren't what I was looking for. My fingers rummaged through bottles and bottles of botanicals searching for just the right ingredients to make light summery perfumes: sparkling citruses, bold florals, green cool herbals and you were not desired. You were pushed to the back with your estranged sibling angelica. You were too deep and mossy and dark. But now, with the temperature falling along with multicolored leaves, you are just right."

I think the context here is unique and revealing...from a perfumer's nose and mind. However, I believe that Oakmoss is not seasonal, as someone who loves Oakmoss both as a note and as a fixative. Two cases in point I would like to mention are YSL Pour Homme and Eau Sauvage. Vintage bottles have wonderful, deep aromatic citrus compositions with herbs, spices, wood, vetiver and light florals - brilliance in both, but of course, each a very unique and historical fragrance. However, (and I would rather actually expound upon each separately, but for the sake of focusing on Oakmoss as a key missing note in current formulations of both) they are remarkably different today. The latest version of YSL Pour Homme no longer even has Oakmoss as a listed ingredient. I have recent juice from about 7 years ago of YSL Pour Homme - it was reformulated and still a very light touch of moss, but vetiver is the key base note...along with sandalwood, cedar, patchouli and a nice musk (that isn't totally clean). Eau Sauvage (from a reformulated bottle of a few years ago) was able to keep the freshness and wonderful hedione with the sparkling citrus and nice sharp herbs...and the base kept a light note of the maximum .1% of Oakmoss, had some nice damp tree moss, but is definitely shorter lived. The vetiver, sandalwood, light musk, green patchouli and amber do not last much. What was once a deep and gorgeous scent has been reformulated to a light Eau de Cologne strength bottle. I do not get great longevity with Vintage Eau Sauvage - but the depth of scent is so noticeably lighter. I do not judge brilliant and timeless compositions based on longevity typically, however...here, the missing fixative quality of Oakmoss both shortened the time you had with it and also the gorgeous richness that it used to offer. I will still wear Eau Sauvage and even layer current formulation with some precious Vintage...for, I refuse to let the memory go. Today, those of us who loves these scents seek out Vintage bottles for a reason.

'Twas the magical ingredient for so many decades of scent...opening noses of world to Guerlain's creation - Mitsouko. The aromatic fougeres were born with the fern in mind (for freshness) - but the damp Oakmoss was essential for the depth and fixative quality. Chypres cannot exist without moss, either. Scent, as a whole, will never be the same without it. And, the fact that IFRA banned Tree Moss as well effective 1/1/13...well, maybe the Mayans were right after all.

I have too many favorites to list, but wanted to mention the noticeable difference (for those of us who know, it is rhetorical) between two wonderful masculine aromatic citruses that have been forever altered. And, from a scent lover's perspective (mine) - how it differs from a perfumer's perspective. Oakmoss is a key ingredient in scents year-round, not just fall & winter...

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

CologneFan85

too many to list lol

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I don't know if I'd say it's dominated by oakmoss, but Grey Flannel is probably my favorite use of oakmoss, ever.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hi boys. Interesting thread. I have been thinking about Oakmoss recently too. I decided on Oxford and Cambridge to wear today. I think that the Original Paco Rabanne is good on oakmoss. We have a really old bottle in the house, must dig it out.

As far as I understand the original Paloma Picasso (for women) has a good oakmoss note too. Now I want to smell some actual oakmoss!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I don't know if I'd say it's dominated by oakmoss, but Grey Flannel is probably my favorite use of oakmoss, ever.
    Great call! It certainly adds a lot of depth and character to the scent.

Basenotes Plus

Hello Foustie -

In the realm of Aromatic Fougeres, Vintage Paco Rabanne offers a wonderful base that includes brilliant Oakmoss. However, my love for it (as I consider it my favorite masculine creation of all time)...is based upon the entire composition and the entirety of its rich base notes. Paco Rabanne displays excellent use of coumarin (Tonka bean), Amber, a warm Musk, Cistus, Lentisk, and a gorgeous Honeyed Tobacco note (not honey as a note itself).

But, without a second thought...yes, the Oakmoss in Paco Rabanne (as well as so many Aromatic Fougeres going back the original, Fougere Royale by Houbigant) is both essential and what makes the Vintage bottles so wonderful, still today.

By the way, you can get Oakmoss essential oil - here is one of very good quality (I am not the seller or anyway affiliated, by the way), but just trying to help point you in the right direction.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10843142...FQ_hQgod0kgASg

And, on Ebay - a large list of places to go: http://compare.ebay.com/like/2003755...Types&var=sbar

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Hi boys. Interesting thread. I have been thinking about Oakmoss recently too. I decided on Oxford and Cambridge to wear today. I think that the Original Paco Rabanne is good on oakmoss. We have a really old bottle in the house, must dig it out.

As far as I understand the original Paloma Picasso (for women) has a good oakmoss note too. Now I want to smell some actual oakmoss!
    - - - Updated - - -

I fully concur - but only in Vintage Grey Flannel cologne. I found a bottle (labeled as "Cologne") in the fall...it wears so incredibly well. The violet, oakmoss and citrus come together with a feeling of naturalness - very organic texture. One could also roll in fresh-cut grass with morning dew on it to get this desired effect as well - while holding fresh-picked violets and squeezing lemon and bergamot onto their skin. ;-)

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Great call! It certainly adds a lot of depth and character to the scent.
    Last edited by ericrico; 11th January 2013 at 05:56 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen