Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Has anyone else notice a change in the new bottles of Aramis 900

I have used Aramis 900 for 30 years and recently bought the new packaging 900 from the Aramis Gentlemens Collection. I noticed immediately that the fragrance was very much inferior, after several conversations with the Aramis consultants, who all denied any reformulation, I eventually contacted Estee Lauder, Aramis parent company, and again after many heated discussions I asked for a lab report to be undertaken, I was promised a copy of the said report within days, however 5 weeks later I received a letters which confirmed my worst fears,yes there have been changes to the formulation of this fabulous fragrance..The company maintain that the modifications are so minor that by law they do not need to re name or re brand however I think they should have done a nose test before allowing this new inferior liquid to be sold in a new bottle and at a higher price . For me sadly after all the years of utter loyalty to Aramis 900 I have now found I cannot stand the cheap, sharp,weak and unpleasant dry down and I have moved to an other old star Givenchy Gentleman which is also very deep and aromatic. If like me you liked the similarity of the OLD 900 to Clinique Aromatics sadly in the NEW formulation that similarity too has gone. Aramis should be ashamed and clearly don't care about their loyal customers enough to tell us about changes to the products they want us to spend our money on. No more Aramis 900 for me.....

Default Re: Has anyone else notice a change in the new bottles of Aramis 900

I haven't tried the 900 from the Gentleman's Collection, yet, and I probably won't: I still have a nearly full bottle of the original.

But I can believe that the newer version is not as good as the original because I found the same problem with the Gentleman's Collection's Havana - I find this version annoying and not nearly as good as the original.

Charmeg,
    I feel for you. I'm a 900 fan too. I haven't tried the new release but vintage bottles are still available at very reasonable prices. You could acquire some back up bottles.
    Aramis isn't alone in doing this. Most classic gems have gone through the same process.

I haven't checked recently, but I have seen plenty of 900 available in the old bottles, even after the Gentleman's line was released...

Well, Givenchy Gentlemen has been significantly changed to the worse and makes the change in 900 seem very mild. As always, best to go vintage on both. You just need to do your homework. Surprised that Lauder would promise a lab report. Most propaganda from companies usually ends with nothing's changed except your perception of said frag.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Finally,

someone elses notices it too. I have been using 900 from the late "70's, and it was the only scent I ever used, but the new one is awfull. I smelled the difference instantly and can't stand the new smell, smells rotten. How EL can state that it is a minor alteration is beyond me. Have been buying some "old"bottles on Ebay now, but have to turn to another cologne because this new version is terrible. EL, how could you!?! Thanks for your post, it's nice to see someone else has the same remarks; thought it was just me, getting too old and familiar with it ;-))!

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Well, Givenchy Gentlemen has been significantly changed to the worse.
    Glad I still have the original.

wow must have some corporate pull to get lab reports preformed by Lauder Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    wow must have some corporate pull to get lab reports preformed by Lauder Labs.
    That's what I thought, too. I'm shocked he's still waiting for it.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    I haven't tried the 900 from the Gentleman's Collection, yet, and I probably won't: I still have a nearly full bottle of the original.

But I can believe that the newer version is not as good as the original because I found the same problem with the Gentleman's Collection's Havana - I find this version annoying and not nearly as good as the original.

I 've just bought a bottle of the ,,new" Havana.Many people talk about the perfect reformulation and they are saying there is no difference with the original.I've never smelled the original so I cannot say anything about that.I like the scent but I have the feeling it lacks some ,,body". Hope I can try the old one once,wich was never available here.Aramis 900,old bottle,is still everywhere,so I think about a purchase.

Just discovered this site. I am glad it wasn't just me and a growing older nose. I have worn Aramis 900 since the 70s. The new reformulation is really a HUGE disappointment. It is similar to the original, but does not last and is gone by the time I leave the house. I feel every one's pain, especially Charmeg from a year ago. What a bummer. How does one find a couple bottles of the original? Can anyone recommend a similar fragrance?

Guys I have read that the newer Gentleman bottles have much weaker sprayers than the original bottles. So maybe if you spray more it will smell normal again.

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    I've never smelled the original but I have the feeling it lacks some ,,body".
    Based on the fact that you never smelled it ???
    Last edited by neal; 12th November 2011 at 12:21 PM.

Been wearing the original since the early 80s and am still using one of the old bottles.

I read this thread and decided to test the new one in John Lewis' yesterday.

Relax. They are the same.

^^^
    I've only tested the new one in Macy's a couple of times, but I agree, I found no difference, and this is my favorite scent of all time!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

In any case, the current version is fine.

Is it really similar to Aromatics Elixir? Any differences?

Charmeg, you showed passion and persistency, they better comply. Well done!!

I've only tested the current bottle and I'm happy with it. Haven't tested the original tho! You know better.

Aramis 900 was my signature fragrance for years(back in the early 1990s), and I winced when I put on my first spray of the new reformulation. But, thankfully, it is just as I remembered. With that said, I do want to acquire a mini bottle of the vintage juice to do a arm-by-arm comparison, especially after reading drseid's recent review. He attributes the difference to oakmoss restrictioins.