Code of Conduct

Default Struggling to pick an ELdO!

Hi all,

Like a few BNers who have gone before me, I recently acquired the Etat Libre d'Orange discovery set - a pack of 25 samples from their range plus a voucher for a half price bottle of my favourite.

After much sniffing I think I've finally narrowed it down to a 'top three' but each have pros and cons:

1) Out in front is Jasmine et Cigarette. A wonderful fragrance but I'm concerned it might be a touch feminine for me. It is also the least long lasting and projecting of the three.

2) Tom of Finland. Another fine fragrance although this one is slightly more expensive; I already own a number of leather-based frags and I'm concerned that it's a bit of a crowd pleaser and not a true representation of the rebellious spirit of the house (this may well be the only ELdO I ever own).

3) Antiheros. All lavender all the way through. I really enjoy this but I do find it a bit one dimensional and fleeting on my skin.

Some runners up include Rien, and Noel au Balcon as a rank outsider.

Any thoughts, guys and gals?

Default Re: Struggling to pick an ELdO!

Of the three - Antiheros

Phew, I don't know VD. I liked a number of their frags, but didn't like them enough to be bottle worthy. I ended up getting ToF, only cos it was £16 in a sale once and because it was an ELdO.

I have a feeling that you are trying to find one, just to use the voucher.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I would certainly get ToF for 50% off. Even if you have other leather-base fragrances, it is still a great one to have IMO!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Of the three - Antiheros
    This

Out of the 3, I will choose Tom of Finland since J et C is too old lady-ish and Antihero is too tame and shower gel smell-alike from a far to me

I've sampled a handful of ELdO (the more popular ones) and felt quite underwhelmed since the juice is not on par with the quirky concept. The only one I like so far and own a bottle is Fils de Dieu

- - - Updated - - -

Out of the 3, I will choose Tom of Finland since J et C is too old lady-ish and Antihero is too tame and shower gel smell-alike from a far to me

I've sampled a handful of ELdO (the more popular ones) and felt quite underwhelmed since the juice is not on par with the quirky concept. The only one I like so far and own a bottle is Fils de Dieu

...I took 'Je Suis Un Homme' which I gave away after one full wearing: now I find I should have taken Sécrétions Magnifiques, the only scent of the lot that really made the difference...!

All excellent, I own several. In your list of 3, either ToF or Jasmine et cigarette. But you didn't seem too enthusiastic to get another leather, so if you do not own a floral already, I'd go for Jasmine et cigarette. I don't see any problem with men wearing florals. In this case, moreover, it's quite dry, strong with cigarette, and thus quite masculine. On me, it lasts well, but of course, leathers are on a different planet in terms of longevity.

ToF is a wonderful suede, very versatile, and there's certainly space for it even if you own other leathers. But if you go for leather, then you should seriously consider Rien, perhaps my favorite in the line. It is a bitter, uncompromising, animalic leather. Extremely strong and tenacious (if you spray, no more than 2), and certainly much more less versatile than ToF. But very distinctive.

cacio

Barry - you're right, if I'm honest, part of me wants to own one just for the sake of it. That said, of the three (maybe four) I named, I'd certainly be happy wearing them too, and most likely would.

J&C is the most distinct from anything else I own or have smelled before and that's a big part of the attraction. Where on earth did you find TOF for £16 though!? I need to spend some time there, wherever it was!

Thanks for the input so far, folks - is the general consensus that J&C is easily wearable by both sexes?

I got it from Harvey Nicks in Leeds a couple of years ago.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I own full bottles of both Tom Of Finland and Antiheros and a nice decant of Jasmine Et Cigarette but if I had to choose one to buy it would definitely be ToF. I don't perceive it as a leather-centered fragrance. To me it's more of a lemony-saffrony combo with leathery facets and a massive woody-powdery base.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Of the three main contenders, I'd definitely suggest Tom of Finland. (It's actually my SOTD today.) I agree entirely with what alfarom says about it above. Noel au Balcon is also wonderful.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

From your list, I would choose Tom of Finland. However, my favorites are Eloge du Traitre and Vierges et Toreros.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

From your three Id go with ToF, but my favorites are Rien, Fat Electrician, and Eloge du Traitor.

Really? I'm going to be the only one to recommend the wonderful Jasmin et Cigarette. Juicy tobacco, slightly fruity, jasmin. Fantastic.

I'd say don't get any of them right now. If you're not thrilled with any of them, why bother?

Revisit them over time and see how your preferences may change. But at the moment, save your money for something you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I'd say don't get any of them right now. If you're not thrilled with any of them, why bother?

Revisit them over time and see how your preferences may change. But at the moment, save your money for something you love.
    I agree with you on principle, however the voucher expires in a couple of weeks and it would be a crying shame to waste it. As it happens, I think I've decided on Jasmine et Cigarette. It's very different from anything else I own and I do find it oddly alluring. I don't own many florals and certainly none as feminine: I'm keen to experiment with challenging traditional gendering in fragrance so it'll enhance my wardrobe in that respect too. Oh and, it's my mum's favourite! Hehe.

Thanks for all the input, folks. Tom of Finland was a very close second and in some respects I find it even more wearable (it's certainly longer lasting) than JeC but, for me, it's just not distinctive or innovative enough to be a good representation of what ELdO are all about.

Stay fragrant, y'all!

Here it is! No regrets whatsoever - I love it and will be reviewing it soon. Thanks for all the help.

IMAG2153.jpg