Code of Conduct

Default What were the 3 biggest impact/revolutionary designer fragrances for you?

Hi everyone.

In a nutshell, what 3 designer fragrances had the biggest impact on you, in a revolutionary sense (before you began drilling deep into the niche brands, assuming you started out with the designers)?

For me, there have only been 2:

Vintage Polo Green decades ago (my first and only frag true love), and now Le Male.

That said, up until about 2 months ago, I had not been into anything for decades, since Polo was big, loud and proud. And since then, I have only very recently discovered Le Male. I assume there are a lot of frags just waiting for me to find but so far I haven’t really stumbled on anything nearly as “revolutionary” (pardon the melodrama) as Polo years ago, and now Le Male.

I appreciate that to many/most here, both Polo and Le Male are very dated, unsophisticated, overworn and, perhaps, completely “ghetto”. That’s probably all true but for me, at the stage I’m at, I currently love Le Male. Some day I may look back on all this as being synonymous with the unexplainable bliss I experienced eating my first Big Mac, but whatever. Le Male is the only one I currently own that I find truly exciting. When I get a waft of it, it sends me into orbit. For me it is sex in a bottle. I hope I never become disenchanted with it. And as a bonus, my GF loves it too.

In addition to Le Male (which was a gift), I currently have full bottles of the following:

1. Chanel PE - also a gift. I only wear it to work. I find it extremely boring but totally safe. I would never buy this myself.

2. Acqua di Gio Essenza - My first purchase 2 months ago. I’m liking it less and less, and have not worn it for weeks. I see this bottle not being touched for a while.

3. YSL La Nuit de l'Homme EDT - I recently bought this mostly because I was so excited to finally be able to get a whiff of it. It was like a victory of sorts. Before then, I could not smell it if my life depended on it. I can still return it if I want. It's really not my style. Certainly nowhere near what I would term "revolutionary" for me, in the sense of Polo or Le Male.

I have tried and found interesting the following:

1. Terre D'Hermes PP;

2. Burberry London;

3. A*Men and A*Men Pure Leather (not sure which one I would ever buy, if either); and

4. Fahrenheit (bizarre -- petroleum and leather; perhaps too interesting to pass up though).

Unfortunately, none of these are what I would term "revolutionary" for me.

Anyway, what were your 3 biggest impact designer fragrances? I don't mean currently. In fact, you may now despise what blew you away at some point in your past. I'm wondering what exactly blew you away, at the time, and not necessarily now.

Love this site. Thanks to all for all your posts. They have made for GREAT reading the past number of weeks. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 11th January 2013 at 05:28 PM.

Sound Scents

Default Re: What were the 3 biggest impact/revolutionary designer fragrances for you?

The three that had the biggest impact for me are as follows:

1) YSL pour Homme (vintage) which was the first fragrance I ever took notice of when I was a kid. It took me over 30 years later to buy a vintage bottle, but I still have fond memories of that first experience.
    2) Giorgio for Men (vintage) which I have worn consistently for 25 years and probably love it more now than when I first started.
    3)Original Polo (vintage) which was the first fragrance I wore with any regularity while in high school.

Honorable mention to Cool Water (vintage) which I probably could have swapped for Polo as it was a similar experience.
    Last edited by drseid; 11th January 2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Default Re: What were the 3 biggest impact/revolutionary designer fragrances for you?

Eau Sauvage
    Or Black
    Pour Monsieur

YSL Kouros: was my signature scent for years.
    Chanel Egoiste (original): fell in love with it and was also my signature scent for a number of years.
    Dior Eau Sauvage (summer rotation, known this one since my childhood)

The others that were significant may not necessarily be "designer" but are still more "mainstream." There are more than 3 in this category but they are significant in terms of my own history and influences that fragrances had on me. I love all of them:

Pour un Homme de Caron (still wear,, known since childhood)
    Vetiver de Guerlain (still wear, known since childhood)
    Paloma Picasso Minotaure (still wear)
    Shiseido Basala (still wear)
    YSL Pour Homme EDT and Concentree (in and out of my wardrobe just for variety, the scent of luxury to me)

And of course Aramis and Old Spice (no longer wear but some of my earliest memories)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dior Homme
    Chanel Egoiste
    Paco Rabanne's 1 Million

Back then: Polo and Lagerfeld

Now: L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme (EDT and EDP)

CologneFan85

YSL La Nuit de l'Homme: Understood its sensual base notes, and I have use it to my advantage...Nuff said. Fiance Loves it.

Polo Double Black: Such a well made unique fragrance. Something about it makes me "feel good" during my day wearing it.

YSL pour Homme: Just blew my mind the first time I smelt it, my first " powerful attention grabber"

And ill add Burburry London: Such a well made and blended gourmand fragrance. Also the first heavy rotated Fall/Winter Frag I enjoyed. Set my standard for the Fall/Winter rotations.

Hey -- thanks for the responses.

Very interesting. I was expecting a Fahrenheit bombardment.

@noirdrakkar -- do you still like 1 Million? As much as when it was at its peak impact with you?

@CologneFan85 -- do you prefer EDT or EDP (or PP or whatever it is) for La Nuit? Also, how is the longevity and projection of the London for you?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 11th January 2013 at 09:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Diorissimo (in the 90s)
    Alien
    Black Orchid
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

In chronological order...

Aramis New West

John Varvatos

Terre D'Hermes

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

YSL Opium Pour Homme Parfum,
    Dior Homme,
    Angel Man

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    @noirdrakkar -- do you still like 1 Million? As much as when it was at its peak impact with you?
    i love it more than ever. when i first tested it in the store back when i began my journey, i was like "no way". then after a series of blind buys, i decided to buy 1 million.

1 million was easily my most worn fragrance of 2012, and i got it in august.

it's the closest designer fragrance i have to a signature scent.

Over the past year I would say the two that have really impressed me & stood out as exceptional are --
    -Versace The Dreamer
    -Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb

Unlike many others that I have to be in the mood for, I find these are always soothing and comfortable for me on any occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    i love it more than ever. when i first tested it in the store back when i began my journey, i was like "no way". then after a series of blind buys, i decided to buy 1 million.

1 million was easily my most worn fragrance of 2012, and i got it in august.

it's the closest designer fragrance i have to a signature scent.
    Interesting. Thanks for following up. That's exciting that you have found a revolutionary frag so recently.

As an aside, I have thoroughly enjoyed all your posts that I have read. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Over the past year I would say the two that have really impressed me & stood out as exceptional are --
    -Versace The Dreamer
    -Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb

Unlike many others that I have to be in the mood for, I find these are always soothing and comfortable for me on any occasion.
    Thanks for the response, which you appear to have restricted to the last year. What I was trying to get a sense of, though, were revolutionary designer frags for you at whatever point of your life, regardless of whether you like them as much (or even at all) now. Or was it only in the last year that you discovered your most revolutionary designer frags?
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 11th January 2013 at 10:47 PM.

CologneFan85

@CologneFan85 -- do you prefer EDT or EDP (or PP or whatever it is) for La Nuit? Also, how is the longevity and projection of the London for you?

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Im not sure of the YSL I had, but it was getting noticed by all the females. And as of London longevity was about 6 hours and projection was very high for at least 2 hours. It will stay on your clothes for over 24 hours easy though.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post

Thanks again.
    Im not sure of the YSL I had, but it was getting noticed by all the females. And as of London longevity was about 6 hours and projection was very high for at least 2 hours. It will stay on your clothes for over 24 hours easy though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yeah -- I have had much the same experience with La Nuit. I'm going to pick up a bottle of London tonight.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 11th January 2013 at 11:04 PM.

Overcome By Fumes

Another Polo mention here, the first fragrance I really enjoyed before developing this hobby.

Jaipur Homme, the first fragrance that I claimed as a signature once I got interested.

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, the first fragrance that made me realize that fun and unusual fragrances were possible.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

vintage Polo green- reminds me of my wilder days in college when I was younger.
    Guerlain Habit Rouge- was the first Classic scent for "men" that I wore.
    Guerlain Mitsouko- was the first frag to show me that men could wear feminine frags as well as masculine ones.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

vintage Polo - puts RL on the fragrance world map
    Chanel Cuir de Russie - a guy can wear Chanel, incl female- marketed ones
    Grey Flannel - you don't have to splurge to enjoy niche-y fragrances

CologneFan85

I cant believe ive never tried Grey Flannel

Amen. The first time I realised cologne doesn't have to smell like "cologne".

- Angel Men
    - Le Male
    - L'instant de Guerlain
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

These aren't necessarily my favorite designer scents, but each had a tremendous impact on how I perceived scents and revolutionized how I approached and purchases fragrances:

1) John Varvatos Vintage-The first non-fresh scent that really appealed to me when I started to move beyond being a "one-bottle, signature scent" person. The leather and fruit notes blew me away when I sampled it, and made me realize there were all sorts of scent profiles out there I had no experience with. This is the scent that caused me to seek out more and more samples, and stared me on the road to being big into fragrances.

2) Le Male-Utterly unlike anything I had smelled before, and this was my favorite scent for a long time. This was the scent that helped me transition from being a person who only wore scents on special cases, to wearing fragrances every day as part of my normal attire.

3) Halston Z-14-I had always assumed that fragrances in TJ Maxx were all horrible, foul-smelling duds until I looked up Z-14 in the database on a lark on day. I was stunned to see it was highly regarded by many, and to find it was originally a high-end scent. I picked up a bottle, and was blown away by the smell. This one changed how I looked at discount scents, and also pushed me to seek out more scents the 1970's and 1980's.

These aren't necessarily my favorite designer scents, but each had a tremendous impact on how I perceived scents and revolutionized how I approached and purchases fragrances:

1) John Varvatos Vintage-The first non-fresh scent that really appealed to me when I started to move beyond being a "one-bottle, signature scent" person. The leather and fruit notes blew me away when I sampled it, and made me realize there were all sorts of scent profiles out there I had no experience with. This is the scent that caused me to seek out more and more samples, and stared me on the road to being big into fragrances.

2) Le Male-Utterly unlike anything I had smelled before, and this was my favorite scent for a long time. This was the scent that helped me transition from being a person who only wore scents on special cases, to wearing fragrances every day as part of my normal attire.

3) Halston Z-14-I had always assumed that fragrances in TJ Maxx were all horrible, foul-smelling duds until I looked up Z-14 in the database on a lark one day. I was stunned to see it was highly regarded by many, and to find it was originally a high-end scent. I picked up a bottle, and was blown away by the smell. This one changed how I looked at discount scents, and also pushed me to seek out more scents the 1970's and 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    Hi everyone.

In a nutshell, what 3 designer fragrances had the biggest impact on you, in a revolutionary sense (before you began drilling deep into the niche brands, assuming you started out with the designers)?

For me, there have only been 2:

Vintage Polo Green decades ago (my first and only frag true love), and now Le Male.

That said, up until about 2 months ago, I had not been into anything for decades, since Polo was big, loud and proud. And since then, I have only very recently discovered Le Male. I assume there are a lot of frags just waiting for me to find but so far I haven’t really stumbled on anything nearly as “revolutionary” (pardon the melodrama) as Polo years ago, and now Le Male.

I appreciate that to many/most here, both Polo and Le Male are very dated, unsophisticated, overworn and, perhaps, completely “ghetto”. That’s probably all true but for me, at the stage I’m at, I currently love Le Male. Some day I may look back on all this as being synonymous with the unexplainable bliss I experienced eating my first Big Mac, but whatever. Le Male is the only one I currently own that I find truly exciting. When I get a waft of it, it sends me into orbit. For me it is sex in a bottle. I hope I never become disenchanted with it. And as a bonus, my GF loves it too.

In addition to Le Male (which was a gift), I currently have full bottles of the following:

1. Chanel PE - also a gift. I only wear it to work. I find it extremely boring but totally safe. I would never buy this myself.

2. Acqua di Gio Essenza - My first purchase 2 months ago. I’m liking it less and less, and have not worn it for weeks. I see this bottle not being touched for a while.

3. YSL La Nuit de l'Homme EDT - I recently bought this mostly because I was so excited to finally be able to get a whiff of it. It was like a victory of sorts. Before then, I could not smell it if my life depended on it. I can still return it if I want. It's really not my style. Certainly nowhere near what I would term "revolutionary" for me, in the sense of Polo or Le Male.

I have tried and found interesting the following:

1. Terre D'Hermes PP;

2. Burberry London;

3. A*Men and A*Men Pure Leather (not sure which one I would ever buy, if either); and

4. Fahrenheit (bizarre -- petroleum and leather; perhaps too interesting to pass up though).

Unfortunately, none of these are what I would term "revolutionary" for me.

Anyway, what were your 3 biggest impact designer fragrances? I don't mean currently. In fact, you may now despise what blew you away at some point in your past. I'm wondering what exactly blew you away, at the time, and not necessarily now.

Love this site. Thanks to all for all your posts. They have made for GREAT reading the past number of weeks. Much appreciated.
    What do you mean by ghetto? What are you referring to?

For me my designer first loves were:

Drakkar- worn by my dad. Nuff said. Who doesnt want to be awesome like their dada?
    LeMale
    Issey Miyake
    Amen

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Designer?

Ck Be
    Encre Noire
    kenneth cole black

Fahrenheit, Comme Des Garcons EDP (yes, CDG is a designer), Bel Ami.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Boss Bottled was my first fragrance that I wore for a couple of years. Then I got more into fragrances and purchased Bleu de Chanel which I was very excited about. Then it was Dior Homme that got my attention and I've been rocking it for almost a year except for summer time.

Basenotes Plus

Giorgio for Men.
    Egoiste.
    L'Heure Bleue.

opium ph edp, mip edp, bel ami

Has to be Pour Monsieur by Chanel, then L'Homme by Versace then straight to 'niche' via Comme Des Garcons.

Kouros, A*Men, Mitsouko

Fahrenheit
    Gucci Pour Homme II

Just 2 for me

I only need one - A*Men blew my mind. I'd never smelt anything like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    I only need one - A*Men blew my mind. I'd never smelt anything like that before.
    Try smelling rat's piss

Joint by Roccobarocco
    Armani Eau pour Homme
    Ungaro II

1. A*Men

2. Boss Bottled

3. Gucci PH II

bulgari PH...recieved a sample many years ago when i really was not into fragrances,,aplied it to my arm and could not stop smelling myself..something about that base...
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

CK Eternity
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Azzaro Chrome

Boss Bottled
    Chanel Sycamore
    CDG 2 Man

RL Polo green
    Kenzo PH
    A*Men

RL Polo as the first men's fragrance I really liked, RL Safari as the first men's fragrance I really loved and made my signature, and Tom Ford Noir de Noir for expanding my horizons so far that I'll try practically anything these days.

For me, they are:

1. Shalimar by Guerlain - my first "sultry" scent
    2. Angel by Thierry Mugler - I think it just smells great
    3. Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf - a great "girl's night out" choice

Basenotes Member

Poison as a teenager in the eighties

Rive Gauche in the nineties

Aromatics Elixir five or six years ago

What's more surprising is my current interest in gourmands, which I previously disparaged with a great deal of smugness. I'm wearing Angel Taste of Fragrance as I write this - the first Angel I've ever tried.

Basenotes Plus

Nine Flags Hong Kong
    Brut
    Joop Homme
    Aventus

Polo Green was my first fragrance and it will always hold a special place in my heart.... I still LOVE the smell of this fragrance.

Cool Water - This was my after high school fragrance long before I truly got the fragrance bug.

Rochas man - My first adventure into gourmands.

I love all three of these although I no longer own a bottle of cool water (nor have I for some time). Of course since joining this site I have gotten the fragrance bug big time so I am still finding fragrances that I am sure I will be in love with many years from now .
    Living each day one spray at a time

Amen
    Fahrenheit
    Egoiste