Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default fragrance community on youtube

Since around 2009-2010, cologne reviews started to become really popular on Youtube, as Youtube itself became a more popular social medium. I suspect this resulted in a huge influx to the fragrance community and is also why certain fragrances became hyped.

I joined basenotes in the middle of October 2011. I was a lurker on here for a month before I joined. I kept googling fragrances and basenotes pages kept showing up so I was starting to see a pattern. Then as I stumbled on a youtube video of cologne, I realized there was a whole community of people who test and review fragrances.

I started out with Marc Robes08 and Tim Swetcoff, and then discovered many other reviewers such as Cutlass, Mickers and JR.

They helped convince me that fragrance collectors (especially the people on here) were flesh and blood people who lived normal (and great lives). Some reviewers are weird and bizarre, but I'd say many of them seem like great people, and I took a little inspiration from them and their personality and applied some of it to my life. Even just watching a few of them helped my social and communication skills a good bit, as some of them were great at speaking and communicating. So I took traits that I liked about them and tried to adopt them.

I think there's been a big change in the Youtube community.

First of all, I hate to be mean, but it is getting a little saturated. At first, in 2009 and 2010, it was a novelty and maybe about a dozen people were consistently making reviews. In 2011 and 2012, a huge influx of reviewers came in, (probably due to Marc's "fragrance idol" challenge) and more. The ones who clearly had the most dedication rose up top, but now it's not a novelty anymore so it's much harder to get noticed with more people in the community, especially if you aren't doing anything different.

This is a reason why I thought about being a youtube reviewer and decided not to. Not only did I want to keep this hobby seperate from my real life, but when I start projects, I want to pursue things that not many people are doing and give people what they don't already have rather than being part of the crowd.

Some reviewers really worked hard to stand out. Al (Fragrancefanatic1) has his street scents series where he randomly interviews people about fragrances, which is something that not everybody else is doing. Dracdoc, also, deserves a lot of props. Dracdoc is so meticulous and painstaking in his testing of fragrances that he has added a lot to the community that it didn't already have.

Also, I've noticed a lot of the old regulars on youtube have retired or became much less active. My guess is that many of them became so obsessed with the hobby, rushed into it so fast, that after a certain point, they burned out and lost interest. Tim Swetcoff hasn't made a video in years, but he's active on facebook. My guess is that, in addition to other commitments, he started to become embarrassed of his hobby (just a guess) and wanted to divorce it. I did talk to JR Writer though, and he told me in his own voice that he still likes fragrances but isn't as interested as he was. He told me that he sold about half of his 100-bottle collection and only kept the stuff he was going to use often.

So , it's hard to say whether this youtube fragrance community thing is a fad that will die out or something that will grow. In the end, though, there are people on BN who've been in the hobby for many years are in it for the long haul.

Default Re: fragrance community on youtube

If you've been thinking about becoming a Youtube reviewer, go for it! I keep up those guys on a regular. It helps people with their decision making and knowledge of a lot of frags out there. A new kid on the block who I watch is CoachRob 619. Very upfront with his reviews. Al is a street legend. Takes a lot of guts to do what that brother is doing. Shout out to those guys.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

the reason why i decided not to was that i wouldn't be covering much ground that wasn't covered already. also, i like this hobby to be anonymous. and its a commitment i dont really want

CologneFan85

It going to get bigger, BUT the niche only group is very rude to the reviewers who are doing designers etc. I feel they are straying some off. Its becoming pretentious and its messing up the community. IMO

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i do think niche is dominating youtube.

back when tim was doing it, it was mainly designers. he only reviewed maybe 2 niche compared to like 50 other designers.

he was my go-to man because i like fragrances that i can WEAR.

when tim stopped making videos, that symbolized the death of the designer era.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    i do think niche is dominating youtube.

back when tim was doing it, it was mainly designers. he only reviewed maybe 2 niche compared to like 50 other designers.

he was my go-to man because i like fragrances that i can WEAR.

when tim stopped making videos, that symbolized the death of the designer era.
    Its highly annoying, they act as if the designer scents don't matter etc. Most people wont even buy Niche anyways. To his their own, but yes its destroying the community in a way.

Looking back, those who started in that '09-'10 era remain the best imo, not many of the newer ones can compare. Marc, Brandon, Fabian, Tim, JR, Hiro, and others were all great, and the ones that are active still are.

From the newer time period, I only really like Al, BetawiBlood aka Kristo (he retired now too), and FragranceBros. The rest just seem to be into the fad really, though it's unfair to write them off because there are many who do legitimately put a lot of good work into their videos. I'm sure it'll slow down after a few years though.

Btw, speaking of Fabian, what ever happened to him? His account is mrfabino1. His last video was in 2010 and then he seemed to disappear off the face of the Earth, without even giving an explanation video or anything. We know about JR and Tim but haven't heard anything about this guy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think the youtube reviewers are snobs, but I do think that since the designer fragrances grew old on them fast, niche is the new fad. Most of the new ones are niche-heavy. Because most of the people after they've discovered all the designers either get bored and stop or they go niche.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't separate Basenotes and the YouTube fragrance community, because most of them are active members on this site who sell, buy, post, and blog. I started watching the YouTube reviewers around 2009 or early 2010 and it seems that most of them started doing nothing but reviews, but now all they do is splits. I appreciate the amount of time that these guys and gals put into answering emails, doing reviews, splits, pod casts, and facebook. My favorite channel is the FragranceBros because I think that with two of them it's much easier and I especially enjoy their 12 days of christmas and the collection they took up for a needy family at Christmas time. Nice guys and the content they have is fantastic. I also enjoy watching Al, Marc, Mickers, CoachRob, and Kristo. I prefer when they do the mainstream designer reviews, but I understand that a lot of their subscribers ask for niche reviews.

I personally find the youtube reviews mildly informative and entertaining, but never influence my purchases.

Frankly, Noir, I think you SHOULD start your own youtube channel. I think you'd enjoy it, and I think there's a good chance you'd be good at it. Plus, you're 21 years old. You're at the time in your life when you absolutely should be trying new things as often as possible. Take it from one who knows: you never know what seemingly weird hobby will turn into a passion and open all sorts of doors in the future. The process of creating and curating a channel will teach you all sorts of things that will prove to be valuable offline.

the reason why i decided not to was that i wouldn't be covering much ground that wasn't covered already.
    You start new threads here for fragrances that already have a jillion threads. I don't understand the difference when it comes to covering covered ground there. If you put your own spin on it, it won't matter if someone else reviewed the same scent. When I'm considering a purchase or researching a scent, I watch multiple reviews... I bet you do too... so, no worries there. And, if you seek out interesting scents to review, your channel will be unique by default. Instead of reviewing Aventus and 1 Million, how about seeking out lesser discussed scents that wow you? Hidden gems... forgotten or under-appreciated classics that still rock in these modern times... that sort of thing.

Commitment: Yes, there's a time commitment, though there are ways of minimizing it without sacrificing quality at all. No, really! Sure, it's a timesuck at first, but after a few tries, you'd get it down to a science. Start with prep, which you probably already do without realizing it, so that would be easy. With a bit of prep and planning, youtube can be very quick. The trick is to treat it like a segment on live TV. Map it out ahead of time so you can nail it in one take. Create an outline with points to cover. The moment you start to feel yourself rambling, wrap it up and move on to your next point. A lot of youtubers do quite a bit of editing and production on their reviews, and some excel at it but none of it is necessary. I always skip past pre-produced intros. None of that stuff is essential. What matters is the content.

My favorite reviews are the ones with real world info about a fragrance. There's one guy whose name I can't remember that covers reasons why you might enjoy the fragrance and reasons why you might NOT enjoy the fragrance. That's excellent content! Also, when reviewers cover where they recommend wearing the fragrance (work / date / formal event / and so on). That's good stuff!

Content is KING. Focus less on technical details and more on real world info along with interesting facts. What does it smell like? And by that, I don't mean a list of notes so much as no, really, what does it smell like?! How does it wear? How does the scent change over time? Where would you wear it? Where would you NOT wear it? Was it made by a perfumer who also made anything particularly amazing or noteworthy? Did you know Andy Tauer has a PhD in chemistry and worked as a micro-biologist before leaving the field to become a perfumer? Anybody can do a same-old same-old review. Find a neat fact or two to make your review interesting.

Structure is key - though you definitely don't have to follow anyone else's structure. In fact, I'd strongly advise you to create your own. Perhaps something like this:

Review Intro with a quick fact or two >> What It Smells Like >> Noteworthy Notes >> How It Wears >> Where/When It's Best >> Wrap It Up with final thoughts.

Personality is a big factor. And, by personality, I don't mean being fun or wacky or zany. Just be you. Kristo is a perfect example. His reviews are a billion percent authentic because he doesn't try to be smart or cool or popular or anything else. He just has something to share and he shares it. Plus, his deadpan delivery is killer. I'm a big fan of the Fragrance Bros as well, though they're on the other end of the spectrum, personality wise, but they're equally authentic. Bottom line: just be you.

also, i like this hobby to be anonymous.
    Anonymity: Well, yeah. That's an issue. But, but, BUT... so long as you don't tell your friends and family members, odds are very low they'd ever find it. I blogged for years before anyone who knew me found out about it, and I made no effort to be anonymous at all. If your friends or family eventually do find your youtube reviews, it won't matter since you'd have built up a channel with quality reviews by that point.

Will your first few reviews suck? Yeah, they will. Again, look at the Fragrance Bros. Their first few were kind of lame. Now, they're excellent. You have to walk before you can fly.

Last but not least... how to put this politely... uhm... you clearly want to be the center of attention. I mean, come on, you name your review threads here after yourself. Rather than add to existing threads, it's more important to you to be the one to start a conversation, even on covered ground. HELLO!!!! You SHOULD be doing youtube reviews.

I have a feeling you'd find the experience more rewarding than you realize. Like I said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you proved to be quite good at it. And, who knows, you could end up with an entire channel filled with great stuff after a while.

And with that, I've rambled through a cup of coffee, so one closing thought: Browse Kristo's channel. Browse the Fragrance Bros. Or Al! Or so many others. Is part of you thinking "I could do that"? Yup! So... Go for it!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks for the support LBI.

i'm planning to make a non-fragrance related youtube channel, and i'm not sure if i want them to mix.

i'm still considering it, but i want to wait for a while, so i know more before i make a channel.

i'm really adamant about being anonymous though so i dont know.

a few months ago i actually recorded a video reviewing YSL's Kouros, and I kept having to do retakes. It felt like a chore rather than something I love doing.

can i become good at reviewing? of course.

i think i'd be a great reviewer and i'm considering it.

just not now.