Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Wink Sample Pass: Aldehydics

As some of you know, I have been yammering for ages about hosting an aldehydic sample pass- and here it finally is! Most, more likely all, perfumes contain aldehydes but not all are aldehydics. I hope this pass will demonstrate the difference. Aldehydes provide lift and sparkle to a scent; without them, perfumes tend to sit flat and heavy on the skin. When we refer to scents that are aldehydic, we specifically mean those containing straight chain aliphatic aldehydes, typically C10-C12. No.5 is a textbook example, with its overdose of aliphatic aldehydes. It was also the inspiration for this pass, after having my own from hate to love experience with it. But not all aldehydics smell like No.5 and this diverse little group of samples will prove that. I spent months carefully editing down to what I thought should really be here. There were loads more I'd have liked to include but sample passes can sometimes become scary when they grow too large. If the interest is there however, I could easily offer a series of aldehydic passes. For now, I'd like to offer these:

Amouage Gold- thanks to our lovely 30 Roses!

Weil Antilope- introduced to me and shared with the group by our jujy54. A perfectly fitting scent for the queen of the universe!

Givenchy l'Interdit- VINTAGE parfum. This was Audrey Hepburn's scent. When told this would be released to the public, she said, "I forbid it"! Of course, she lost that argument.

Lancome Climat- La Collection re-issue

Two from Guerlain- Chant d'Aromes and Liu, both current. Liu is a 2009 re-issue of this classic Guerlain aldehydic.

Divine l'Ame Soeur

Le Labo Aldehyde 44- the Dallas city exclusive

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Iris Poudre

Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche- rose bathroom spray to me but does get enough love from others to deserve a spot here. Someone is bound to love this.

Etat Libre d'Orange Sex Pistols- the most fun of the bunch! Black leather, Aquanet and sparkly, aldehydic citrus. Leans masculine but I'd love to have this to wear out on wild nights!

Knize Two- again a masculine and a gorgeous one, too. This girly-girl would also be very happy to own a bottle of this scent.

Caron Nocturnes

Andy Tauer Tableau de Parfums Miriam- one of the most masterful of the group. Absolutely divine- if only I could get along with that darned sour Tauerade.

Estee Lauder Pleasures Intense- I knew I had to include the snowblindness-inducing aldehydes of the Lauder house but had no White Linen on hand. This one still serves as a fine example, though.

Chanel No.22- VINTAGE Eau de Cologne. The current Exclusifs EDT is recognizably 22 but the vintage is quite different and preferable if you ask me. This particular juice is beautifully preserved; aldehydes fresh as the day they were born. Our own Warum is the lucky owner of this gorgeous bottle.

And of course we have the BIG dog- Chanel No.5. Not just some No.5. though but all of it!
    Every version of No.5 is a different beast. We get so many posters asking which concentration is "best". I've decided to offer each of the currently available-in-store concentrations for comparison so some of you can answer that frequent question for yourselves. I have left out Eau Premiere as it's a flanker and not terribly aldehydic (o.k., o.k., we are including it! Peer pressure works.). So we have:
    No.5 EDT
    No.5 EDP
    No.5 Sensual Elixir- a gel based perfume. The little insert that comes with it claims this version uses more natural materials than all other versions.
    No.5 Parfum
    No.5 Eau Premiere
    And for an extra special treat, I am also including Vintage 1950's No.5 Parfum! I'm very, very happy to be able to share this one! All credit to Whitefluffy for tracking this baby down!

So, there you have it! Seventeen very different scents, all from the same category. I think I can squeeze in 5 samplers. I have two spots reserved for Schilling and Genie Jeanie . That leaves 3 spots we can go ahead and fill right now!

Rules, I ask only that you be a registered BN member since Jan.1, 2013 and have made at least 10 posts. Also some of these samples are spray vials, which do tend to be used up faster than dabbers. Please limit yourself to 1-2 sprays with the spray decants, out of regard to those behind you in line.

Anyone interested? Doesn't matter if you're a veteran who has tried some of these already and want to re-visit or if you're newer to this and feel clueless and inept about aldehydes! I hope this will be a fun learning experience for us all!

And lastly, I must thank Warum and Whitefluffy for contributions to this pass. It would not be nearly as special without the scents you introduced me to and shared with me.

Mailing Order:
    1. cacio
    2. Genie Jeanie
    3. Schilling
    4. sjg3839
    5. jujy54
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 24th February 2013 at 05:52 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Default Re: Sample Pass: Aldehydics

And this sample pass is chemically approved by me

I'm always up for a sample pass. But I'm monopolizing them. Put me in if nobody else shows up, but do not give me priority - I can go to the end if there are leftovers.

cacio

queen of the universe

Holy moly, that is some project. All of those in one pass? Reminds me of Hilaire's (so mised!) heroic Citric Chypric pass. I'd be interested in maybe 5 of them, after that my nose gives out.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Lucas! Thank you so much! My intro post is a bit rambly but if it's approved by an actual chemist, I'm cool with it! That stamp of approval means the world, my friend. You know a few of these; hope you'll pop in with some thoughts!

cacio, yes I was hoping you'd have time for this! In fact, if it's o.k. timewise for you, I'd like to put you first. Are you home for a bit, no immediate travel plans? I have a little sample I've been wanting to send you and this would give me the perfect opportunity to mail it. The other two sweet gals won't mind and I really don't think we'll have more takers than this pass can hold. And you have offered your share of passes-you are entitled to join!

I'm pleased to announce that sjg3839 will be joining us! Will update the mailing order as soon as I hear if my plans work for cacio.

jujy, I could put you last so you can sniff at your leisure. Tempted?

Blog Entries

I can take the last place since I'm still new at reviewing frags and would give me more time to sniff them all PerfumedLady?

Southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

PL, I would be delighted to have Cacio take the first slot! You've tried your best to educate me on aldehydes, but I still feel like a deer in the headlights. His sage observations would be very welcomed to help sort things out for this ol' pea brain of mine!

Of course you can southerngardens, will put you in now!

Well that makes five! I will go ahead and put cacio in the first spot but will wait until Monday to mail; the order may still change as needed. Genie, I don't blame you, I know it sounds intimidating! I had to learn it all, too! You'll feel much more confident about aldehydes after this, I assure you. Thanks for joining everyone, looking forward to it!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Of course you can southerngardens, will put you in now!

Well that makes five! I will go ahead and put cacio in the first spot but will wait until Monday to mail; the order may still change as needed. Genie, I don't blame you, I know it sounds intimidating! I had to learn it all, too! You'll feel much more confident about aldehydes after this, I assure you. Thanks for joining everyone, looking forward to it!
    Thank you so much, my generous friend. I know you put a lot of thought into putting this pass together for us!!

You're more than welcome, Genie! It was a lot of fun to make this sample pass! Even though I do not like some of them. I learned a lot from these myself! I can't wait to hear how this L'Interdit compares to your bottle! I thought the sample was beautiful but I had never tried it before. Not an expert on that one at all!

Everyone, be sure to send your mailing details to the person ahead of you! Nighty-night, all; will check back tomorrow to see if cacio has any objections to the order.

Blog Entries

Thank You PerfumedLady for putting this pass together! It's a wonderful learning tool for me and it's greatly appreciated!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

queen of the universe

jujy, I could put you last so you can sniff at your leisure. Tempted?
    Tempted, and totally giving in. Yep, put me last on the list. Thank you!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Tempted, and totally giving in. Yep, put me last on the list. Thank you!
    I'm glad you're joining in Jujy! I always enjoy reading the reviews from your much more experienced nose!

Yes, I think we can still squeeze in our jujy! Some of these may run low but I'm sure there will be more than enough for jujy to get her fill.

southerngardens, still take all the time you need! I want you to get the most out of this you possibly can!

Basenotes Plus

Yes, I think we can still squeeze in our jujy! Some of these may run low but I'm sure there will be more than enough for jujy to get her fill.

southerngardens, still take all the time you need! I want you to get the most out of this you possibly can!
    We've got some potent scents here PL. I'm sure that using just a dab will take care of everyone!

It's a great learning experience, southerngardens. You're perfect for this!

I'm happy to join as said and can go first, but again, I don't want to monopolize.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'm happy to join as said and can go first, but again, I don't want to monopolize.

cacio
    No no! I'm so glad you took that first spot. (sigh of relief) Lead the way my friend!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Fifteen is a huge number to sample, but if you would like to add Amouage Gold (woman) edp to it, I can sent you a sample to tuck in.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Fifteen is a huge number to sample, but if you would like to add Amouage Gold (woman) edp to it, I can sent you a sample to tuck in.
    Or I can be responsible for adding to another pass! I think PL has her hands full & I need to give back. Please let me take over. I do have a vintage Aromatics Elixir to start with & am happy to add others.

I've gained so much from the passes & also stuck my nose in every one of them! Yep, I'm the next sponsor!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh gosh, I'm so rude!!! Mea culpa. You already have plans for extending your pass & I will just plan my own dang event!!!!

What an amazing sample pass PerfumedLady! Had all slots not been filled I would have loved to take part. Now I will instead look forward to following the thread :-)
    Last edited by Plaisir; 12th January 2013 at 12:32 PM.

30R, thank you so much, that's an outstanding offer! I already have this pass sealed up and ready to go but I'd love to take you up on it if I do continue this pass as a series. But Genie Jeanie has been kicking around ideas for a pass and she was consdering an Amouage theme; if she'd like it, please share it with her instead. Genie, you are not rude-never be afraid to speak up here! That's how we get things done!

cacio, thank you for your flexibility! I know Genie is happy you're going first and I think the rest of the crew will feel relieved, too! Will be on its way to you Monday morning.

Plaisir, I never dreamed this would fill up so fast! I'll enjoy having you follow along, feel free to pop in with any thoughts/ questions. And do stay tuned; looks like we may be continuing this theme with more passes!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Alternate suggestion: I could mail the Amouage Gold directly to cacio to sample first and then add to the box...unless it is just one fragrance too much for everyone. If not desired, then yes, I can save it and send it with a future pass.

I'm not trying to crash the party, just thought as an aldehydic floral it was too good to not offer it. You already have an amazing set of samples, PL!!

That's our smart 30R, always thinking! Yes, I like that idea! I think everyone will be happy to have Gold included and really, when a pass is already too large, what's one more?! Thank you, this is great! Will update our list now!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Okay then! I can mail it out today if I can get cacio's address.

How much juice of each sample are you including?

Edit: Mailed to cacio.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 12th January 2013 at 06:16 PM.

I'll PM the addy here in a sec!

Amount is up to you; these are varied in size. Some are just the 1ml sample vials, ranging up to 2.5ml spray vials. Some of these were hard to track down and I of course had to take what I could get. These are mostly sillage monsters though, as Genie noted. I know Gold is potent, I think just a small sample vial should do just fine.

What a wonderful cozy group! I hope it will be alright if I pop in with some thoughts on those I tried? I have a feeling this will be a very fun pass!!!

Oh, yes! I expect you to help me out by sharing some thoughts, as your schedule allows! And any questions that may come up about those scents from your bottles could definitely use your insight, please!

Did I ever send you any No.5 Sensual Elixir to try, Whitefluffy? If not, I'll put it in your next package. Don't know what you'll think but maybe it's a version Mr. W will like!

- - - Updated - - -

The package went out first class (with DC) this morning! We're on our sparkly way!

cacio, I went way overboard with packaging, the envelope looks like a football! But the samples are in metal soap tins (except for the sample that is yours to keep; that is wrapped separately); you need not follow my example when you pass it on. And remember the Amouage Gold from 30R will arrive first!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 14th January 2013 at 02:37 PM.

I'll forward Chanel No 5's (red-headed step-child) Eau Premiere, to Team Leader Cacio so we've all got a 360 degree take on this Chanel family. I'm sure it would have been in this pass, if Perfumed Lady hadn't shared it with me first, earlier last year.
    Can't wait to see how this unrolls. Thank you for including me.

I'm looking forward to see how this sample pass evolves. It's going to be a lot of fun I think.

When I only have some time I will try to post some short "Did you knows..." about aldehydes from a chemists approach. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will try to answer when I can.

Schilling, that's so sweet but I did actually intend to leave Eau Premiere out. It simply isn't very aldehydic and it's not a concentration but a flanker. To my mind, EP is more fruity floral than aldehydic. Let's leave this one out of this pass. No need to send it on unless cacio just would like to have it. But thank you, anyway!

Thank you so much, Lucas! I will be forever grateful if you can make time to enhance our chemistry lesson!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 16th January 2013 at 02:01 PM.