Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wink Sample Pass: Aldehydics

As some of you know, I have been yammering for ages about hosting an aldehydic sample pass- and here it finally is! Most, more likely all, perfumes contain aldehydes but not all are aldehydics. I hope this pass will demonstrate the difference. Aldehydes provide lift and sparkle to a scent; without them, perfumes tend to sit flat and heavy on the skin. When we refer to scents that are aldehydic, we specifically mean those containing straight chain aliphatic aldehydes, typically C10-C12. No.5 is a textbook example, with its overdose of aliphatic aldehydes. It was also the inspiration for this pass, after having my own from hate to love experience with it. But not all aldehydics smell like No.5 and this diverse little group of samples will prove that. I spent months carefully editing down to what I thought should really be here. There were loads more I'd have liked to include but sample passes can sometimes become scary when they grow too large. If the interest is there however, I could easily offer a series of aldehydic passes. For now, I'd like to offer these:

Amouage Gold- thanks to our lovely 30 Roses!

Weil Antilope- introduced to me and shared with the group by our jujy54. A perfectly fitting scent for the queen of the universe!

Givenchy l'Interdit- VINTAGE parfum. This was Audrey Hepburn's scent. When told this would be released to the public, she said, "I forbid it"! Of course, she lost that argument.

Lancome Climat- La Collection re-issue

Two from Guerlain- Chant d'Aromes and Liu, both current. Liu is a 2009 re-issue of this classic Guerlain aldehydic.

Divine l'Ame Soeur

Le Labo Aldehyde 44- the Dallas city exclusive

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Iris Poudre

Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche- rose bathroom spray to me but does get enough love from others to deserve a spot here. Someone is bound to love this.

Etat Libre d'Orange Sex Pistols- the most fun of the bunch! Black leather, Aquanet and sparkly, aldehydic citrus. Leans masculine but I'd love to have this to wear out on wild nights!

Knize Two- again a masculine and a gorgeous one, too. This girly-girl would also be very happy to own a bottle of this scent.

Caron Nocturnes

Andy Tauer Tableau de Parfums Miriam- one of the most masterful of the group. Absolutely divine- if only I could get along with that darned sour Tauerade.

Estee Lauder Pleasures Intense- I knew I had to include the snowblindness-inducing aldehydes of the Lauder house but had no White Linen on hand. This one still serves as a fine example, though.

Chanel No.22- VINTAGE Eau de Cologne. The current Exclusifs EDT is recognizably 22 but the vintage is quite different and preferable if you ask me. This particular juice is beautifully preserved; aldehydes fresh as the day they were born. Our own Warum is the lucky owner of this gorgeous bottle.

And of course we have the BIG dog- Chanel No.5. Not just some No.5. though but all of it!
    Every version of No.5 is a different beast. We get so many posters asking which concentration is "best". I've decided to offer each of the currently available-in-store concentrations for comparison so some of you can answer that frequent question for yourselves. I have left out Eau Premiere as it's a flanker and not terribly aldehydic (o.k., o.k., we are including it! Peer pressure works.). So we have:
    No.5 EDT
    No.5 EDP
    No.5 Sensual Elixir- a gel based perfume. The little insert that comes with it claims this version uses more natural materials than all other versions.
    No.5 Parfum
    No.5 Eau Premiere
    And for an extra special treat, I am also including Vintage 1950's No.5 Parfum! I'm very, very happy to be able to share this one! All credit to Whitefluffy for tracking this baby down!

So, there you have it! Seventeen very different scents, all from the same category. I think I can squeeze in 5 samplers. I have two spots reserved for Schilling and Genie Jeanie . That leaves 3 spots we can go ahead and fill right now!

Rules, I ask only that you be a registered BN member since Jan.1, 2013 and have made at least 10 posts. Also some of these samples are spray vials, which do tend to be used up faster than dabbers. Please limit yourself to 1-2 sprays with the spray decants, out of regard to those behind you in line.

Anyone interested? Doesn't matter if you're a veteran who has tried some of these already and want to re-visit or if you're newer to this and feel clueless and inept about aldehydes! I hope this will be a fun learning experience for us all!

And lastly, I must thank Warum and Whitefluffy for contributions to this pass. It would not be nearly as special without the scents you introduced me to and shared with me.

Mailing Order:
    1. cacio
    2. Genie Jeanie
    3. Schilling
    4. sjg3839
    5. jujy54
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 24th February 2013 at 05:52 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Default Re: Sample Pass: Aldehydics

And this sample pass is chemically approved by me

I'm always up for a sample pass. But I'm monopolizing them. Put me in if nobody else shows up, but do not give me priority - I can go to the end if there are leftovers.

cacio

queen of the universe

Holy moly, that is some project. All of those in one pass? Reminds me of Hilaire's (so mised!) heroic Citric Chypric pass. I'd be interested in maybe 5 of them, after that my nose gives out.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Lucas! Thank you so much! My intro post is a bit rambly but if it's approved by an actual chemist, I'm cool with it! That stamp of approval means the world, my friend. You know a few of these; hope you'll pop in with some thoughts!

cacio, yes I was hoping you'd have time for this! In fact, if it's o.k. timewise for you, I'd like to put you first. Are you home for a bit, no immediate travel plans? I have a little sample I've been wanting to send you and this would give me the perfect opportunity to mail it. The other two sweet gals won't mind and I really don't think we'll have more takers than this pass can hold. And you have offered your share of passes-you are entitled to join!

I'm pleased to announce that sjg3839 will be joining us! Will update the mailing order as soon as I hear if my plans work for cacio.

jujy, I could put you last so you can sniff at your leisure. Tempted?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I can take the last place since I'm still new at reviewing frags and would give me more time to sniff them all PerfumedLady?

Southerngardens
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

PL, I would be delighted to have Cacio take the first slot! You've tried your best to educate me on aldehydes, but I still feel like a deer in the headlights. His sage observations would be very welcomed to help sort things out for this ol' pea brain of mine!

Of course you can southerngardens, will put you in now!

Well that makes five! I will go ahead and put cacio in the first spot but will wait until Monday to mail; the order may still change as needed. Genie, I don't blame you, I know it sounds intimidating! I had to learn it all, too! You'll feel much more confident about aldehydes after this, I assure you. Thanks for joining everyone, looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Of course you can southerngardens, will put you in now!

Well that makes five! I will go ahead and put cacio in the first spot but will wait until Monday to mail; the order may still change as needed. Genie, I don't blame you, I know it sounds intimidating! I had to learn it all, too! You'll feel much more confident about aldehydes after this, I assure you. Thanks for joining everyone, looking forward to it!
    Thank you so much, my generous friend. I know you put a lot of thought into putting this pass together for us!!

You're more than welcome, Genie! It was a lot of fun to make this sample pass! Even though I do not like some of them. I learned a lot from these myself! I can't wait to hear how this L'Interdit compares to your bottle! I thought the sample was beautiful but I had never tried it before. Not an expert on that one at all!

Everyone, be sure to send your mailing details to the person ahead of you! Nighty-night, all; will check back tomorrow to see if cacio has any objections to the order.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank You PerfumedLady for putting this pass together! It's a wonderful learning tool for me and it's greatly appreciated!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

queen of the universe

jujy, I could put you last so you can sniff at your leisure. Tempted?
    Tempted, and totally giving in. Yep, put me last on the list. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Tempted, and totally giving in. Yep, put me last on the list. Thank you!
    I'm glad you're joining in Jujy! I always enjoy reading the reviews from your much more experienced nose!

Yes, I think we can still squeeze in our jujy! Some of these may run low but I'm sure there will be more than enough for jujy to get her fill.

southerngardens, still take all the time you need! I want you to get the most out of this you possibly can!

Yes, I think we can still squeeze in our jujy! Some of these may run low but I'm sure there will be more than enough for jujy to get her fill.

southerngardens, still take all the time you need! I want you to get the most out of this you possibly can!
    We've got some potent scents here PL. I'm sure that using just a dab will take care of everyone!

It's a great learning experience, southerngardens. You're perfect for this!

I'm happy to join as said and can go first, but again, I don't want to monopolize.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'm happy to join as said and can go first, but again, I don't want to monopolize.

cacio
    No no! I'm so glad you took that first spot. (sigh of relief) Lead the way my friend!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Fifteen is a huge number to sample, but if you would like to add Amouage Gold (woman) edp to it, I can sent you a sample to tuck in.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Fifteen is a huge number to sample, but if you would like to add Amouage Gold (woman) edp to it, I can sent you a sample to tuck in.
    Or I can be responsible for adding to another pass! I think PL has her hands full & I need to give back. Please let me take over. I do have a vintage Aromatics Elixir to start with & am happy to add others.

I've gained so much from the passes & also stuck my nose in every one of them! Yep, I'm the next sponsor!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh gosh, I'm so rude!!! Mea culpa. You already have plans for extending your pass & I will just plan my own dang event!!!!

What an amazing sample pass PerfumedLady! Had all slots not been filled I would have loved to take part. Now I will instead look forward to following the thread :-)
    Last edited by Plaisir; 12th January 2013 at 12:32 PM.

30R, thank you so much, that's an outstanding offer! I already have this pass sealed up and ready to go but I'd love to take you up on it if I do continue this pass as a series. But Genie Jeanie has been kicking around ideas for a pass and she was consdering an Amouage theme; if she'd like it, please share it with her instead. Genie, you are not rude-never be afraid to speak up here! That's how we get things done!

cacio, thank you for your flexibility! I know Genie is happy you're going first and I think the rest of the crew will feel relieved, too! Will be on its way to you Monday morning.

Plaisir, I never dreamed this would fill up so fast! I'll enjoy having you follow along, feel free to pop in with any thoughts/ questions. And do stay tuned; looks like we may be continuing this theme with more passes!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Alternate suggestion: I could mail the Amouage Gold directly to cacio to sample first and then add to the box...unless it is just one fragrance too much for everyone. If not desired, then yes, I can save it and send it with a future pass.

I'm not trying to crash the party, just thought as an aldehydic floral it was too good to not offer it. You already have an amazing set of samples, PL!!

That's our smart 30R, always thinking! Yes, I like that idea! I think everyone will be happy to have Gold included and really, when a pass is already too large, what's one more?! Thank you, this is great! Will update our list now!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Okay then! I can mail it out today if I can get cacio's address.

How much juice of each sample are you including?

Edit: Mailed to cacio.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 12th January 2013 at 06:16 PM.

I'll PM the addy here in a sec!

Amount is up to you; these are varied in size. Some are just the 1ml sample vials, ranging up to 2.5ml spray vials. Some of these were hard to track down and I of course had to take what I could get. These are mostly sillage monsters though, as Genie noted. I know Gold is potent, I think just a small sample vial should do just fine.

What a wonderful cozy group! I hope it will be alright if I pop in with some thoughts on those I tried? I have a feeling this will be a very fun pass!!!

Oh, yes! I expect you to help me out by sharing some thoughts, as your schedule allows! And any questions that may come up about those scents from your bottles could definitely use your insight, please!

Did I ever send you any No.5 Sensual Elixir to try, Whitefluffy? If not, I'll put it in your next package. Don't know what you'll think but maybe it's a version Mr. W will like!

- - - Updated - - -

The package went out first class (with DC) this morning! We're on our sparkly way!

cacio, I went way overboard with packaging, the envelope looks like a football! But the samples are in metal soap tins (except for the sample that is yours to keep; that is wrapped separately); you need not follow my example when you pass it on. And remember the Amouage Gold from 30R will arrive first!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 14th January 2013 at 02:37 PM.

I'll forward Chanel No 5's (red-headed step-child) Eau Premiere, to Team Leader Cacio so we've all got a 360 degree take on this Chanel family. I'm sure it would have been in this pass, if Perfumed Lady hadn't shared it with me first, earlier last year.
    Can't wait to see how this unrolls. Thank you for including me.

I'm looking forward to see how this sample pass evolves. It's going to be a lot of fun I think.

When I only have some time I will try to post some short "Did you knows..." about aldehydes from a chemists approach. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will try to answer when I can.

Schilling, that's so sweet but I did actually intend to leave Eau Premiere out. It simply isn't very aldehydic and it's not a concentration but a flanker. To my mind, EP is more fruity floral than aldehydic. Let's leave this one out of this pass. No need to send it on unless cacio just would like to have it. But thank you, anyway!

Thank you so much, Lucas! I will be forever grateful if you can make time to enhance our chemistry lesson!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 16th January 2013 at 02:01 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    I'm looking forward to see how this sample pass evolves. It's going to be a lot of fun I think.

When I only have some time I will try to post some short "Did you knows..." about aldehydes from a chemists approach. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will try to answer when I can.
    How wonderful to have a chemist following us and posting I'm sure some interesting points for us all. Thanks lucasi!

Just got the nicely packed big envelope (and got also Amouage Gold from schilling). Thanks!

It's late, but I just had to put a couple on. Right arm, No 22. As you open the vial, you get the deep sweetness of the drydown. But as soon as it gets on the skin (or on paper) the big oomp of the bright soapy aldehydes comes out, accompanied by elegant florals (especially iris). 30 min in, it's still the aldehydes and Chanel iris, no big sweetness yet.

Left arm, L'interdit. This is strange. On paper, I do smell the bright aldehydes. On skin, they're gone in no time and what's left for now is a strange paper note I've smelled in other vintage perfume. I wonder if that's some material that has turned. This is supposed to be a big lactonic floral. I do feel some creaminess, but not big. Let's see how it develops.

On paper, I have Knize Two. It's somewhat different from what I remembered. It is aldehydic but with clean berry-fruity notes and some green florals. I didn't remember it as sweet, but more violet like. But I'll have to try on skin.

Amouage Gold is big and rich and yet bright, the florals are so thick as to be almost oily, yet it retains the oomph and cleanliness from the aldehydes. What I smelled in stores recently seemed somewhat less rich than this, but it's hard to say. Jasmine has been restricted, so that could account for the difference.

cacio

cacio

I'm so glad it made it time for the weekend!

No.22, you nailed why I prefer vintage- MUCH less sweet than Exclusifs EDT to my nose. Aren't those some seriously sparkly aldehydes? I love that EDC!

I'm hoping Genie Jeanie will be able to tell us more about the condition of that L'Interdit sample, as she owns a bottle. While I thought the sample was lovely, it felt a bit boneless to me. Of course, it could be that the lactonic florals are meant to wear that way; I have little experience with this one.

Knize Two is violety/irisy to me, will be interested to hear what happened on skin, cacio! Another one I just love.

And the Gold came from 30 Roses and I do believe it's an older bottle. Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll pop in with some details on that! Your sniffer is very astute; I bet you're right on this.

Was so happy to see you'd posted already cacio, I very much enjoyed reading your thoughts with my morning coffee! I had a feeling you'd tear into these right away. Hope you have fun with this!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The bottle of Amouage Gold is one that I bought NIB from Moreda back in 2009, so it is a little older than the current formulation, but not the original crystal bottle with the 24k plating.

The bottle is also not the opaque gold colored ones sold in the USA-- it's clear glass with a domed plastic lid with a design, just like the bottle I've seen for Ubar, Dia etc. (I'll upload a photo of it later.)

Maybe your sample will arrive today, PL. I'll be interested in your opinion of it.

Yes, I was thinking today, too. Mail usually arrives in the afternoon; will pop back in later and let you know if it came. I will post my thoughts here, as this one will be new to me!

Thanks again for all the info, 30R! That will be very helpful to everyone!

queen of the universe

Whee! I get the leftovers. As well you know, I love another great aldehyde, Weil Antilope (vintage). Love your description of ELdO Sex Pistols.

Yes, you do, jujy! And I think there should be at least a few dribbles of each one for you! But do not feel overwhelmed; remember you have the freedom to play with these anytime you see fit. No deadlines for you!

You know what, I thought of Antilope! I still think of it often, it's right up there with my favorite aldehydics. But I couldn't bear to beg a sample from you after you were so generous to us with that Weil pass. I will have to hunt up a sample for next time; it does look like we could do another round of aldehydics. More people should know Antilope.

And thank you for the compliment! Scents I love are always easy for me to describe. Scents I don't love....well, not so much!

queen of the universe

Please. I am happy to share the Antilope. Since cacio was part of the Weil pass, shall I send the Antilope on to Genie Jeanie?

Yes, you do, jujy! And I think there should be at least a few dribbles of each one for you! But do not feel overwhelmed; remember you have the freedom to play with these anytime you see fit. No deadlines for you!

You know what, I thought of Antilope! I still think of it often, it's right up there with my favorite aldehydics. But I couldn't bear to beg a sample from you after you were so generous to us with that Weil pass. I will have to hunt up a sample for next time; it does look like we could do another round of aldehydics. More people should know Antilope.

And thank you for the compliment! Scents I love are always easy for me to describe. Scents I don't love....well, not so much!

Tried a couple more. On skin, the le Labo, uncharacteristically, does what it says. A big sparkly aldehyde; on my skin, there's a significant amount of berry sweetness. Not as bad as it sounds, because the aldehydes keep it in check. LT calls it a minature white linen: in part, it is, but I think that WL is not just bigger, but richer, with nice florals and a deep rose, which I do not detect in this. Nice, but just nice, and really not worth the asking price.

Pleasures (which I had tried before): entirely abstract, radiating cleanliness and absence of bacterial life. Admirable in its own way. Still, as it goes, there's something that doesn't sit well with me. It becomes to my nose almost shrill and unpleasant, as some sharp cleaning substance that may do its job but smells wrong. A personal thing evidently.

Nocturnes: nice pleasant aldehydic floral at first. Then some chemical that disturbs me comes out - something between light bilge (very light) and florist burp - I've noticed it before in other perfumes defined as elegant florals (for instance, to a much larger extent, in Bas de soie). So again, a personal reaction. Turin defines it as so predictable it would be considered normal at a Miss Texas lineup, and, indeed, there's really nothing of particular interest in this floral.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 19th January 2013 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Tried a couple more. On skin, the le Labo, uncharacteristically, does what it says. A big sparkly aldehyde; on my skin, there's a significant amount of berry sweetness. Not as bad as it sounds, because the aldehydes keep it in check. LT calls it a minature white linen: in part, it is, but I think that WL is not just bigger, but richer, with nice florals and a deep rose, which I do not detect in this. Nice, but just nice, and really not worth the asking price.

Pleasures (which I had tried before): entirely abstract, radiating cleanliness and absence of bacterial life. Admirable in its own way. Still, as it goes, there's something that doesn't sit well with me. It becomes to my nose almost shrill and unpleasant, as some sharp cleaning substance that ends up smelling like rotten flowers. A personal thing evidently.

Nocturnes: nice pleasant aldehydic floral at first. Then some chemical that disturbs me comes out - something between light bilge (very light) and florist burp - I've noticed it before in other perfumes defined as elegant florals (for instance, to a much larger extent, in Bas de soie). So again, a personal reaction. Turin defines it as so predictable it would be considered normal at a Miss Texas lineup, and, indeed, there's really nothing of particular interest in this floral.

cacio
    How did the L' Interdict & Knize Two end up developing for you, Cacio? I have a bottle of LI that's not vintage, but @ 12 yrs old. It seems to have more structure than what you describe. I'd be happy to add in a sample of mine for reference.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Here is the bottle of Amouage Gold. As you can see, it is not the typical bottle sold in the USA. The BNer I bought it lives in the Netherlands, and I'm not sure where he bought his (vast) collection of Amouage.

jeanie:
    no particular development for those two. Interdit a lactonic floral with said so so, turned (?) note, and Knize two violet fruity also on skin (perhaps on skin more violet, but still some berry).

30 roses:
    who knows when things changed. the jasmine restriction came into effect in 2010, so 09 could still be a richer formulation. In any case, whatever version this is, it smells excellent.

jujy (I forgot to answer):
    indeed, I don't need Antelope, which I smelled in the Weil pass. It was one of the few big oldies that did nothing for me. It just didn't tell me anything, and went away quickly. Must be anosmic to parts of it.

cacio

Please. I am happy to share the Antilope. Since cacio was part of the Weil pass, shall I send the Antilope on to Genie Jeanie?
    I say go for it, jujy, if you're absolutely sure you don't mind sharing a bit more! Thank you so very much!

Now don't get scared, gang- it's only one more and I promise I won't add another after this one! I think some of you will be very glad to try Antilope. It's beautiful!

cacio, he of the perfume-eating skin, at least we know the No.5 extrait will last a bit for you! I can't tell you how much it aggravates me that I get no longevity with it-but you do! Lol!

That bottle is so gorgeous, 30R. For once, a bottle that really matches the scent inside! It does indeed seem that your bottle must have more natural jasmine than current bottles.

I'm trying Gold with you samplers-and loving it! Will write up a post on it soon!

A few more today:

Iris poudre: as per name. Nice, clean iris. With a certain sweet berry note, but not too strong. I prefer my irises a little rootier and drier, but this is well done, if uninspiring. Women who like fruity florals should get acquainted with this rather than the syrups.

Divine l'ame soeur: nice bright aldehydics up top, then dry woody with a touch of sugar. Nice, but to my nose devoid of any sparkle. Makes for a good clean masculine superior to the Allures &co.

Climat: I had smelled this at the duty free in France, don't know if this is the recent version, but it smells the same, that is, good. Aldehydic floral that smells rich, almost warm, and enveloping. Could go on my to buy list.

Rive Gauche: I had smelled this already (modern version). Rich aldehydic rose, somewhat dark. I sprayed this on paper and it felt a little cleaner than what I remembered, but it could be the paper. Will try again on skin. In any case, my birth-year scent Calandre feels more serene, creamier and with the right amount of spices, and I prefer it.

Liu: nice clean, citrusy jasmine - in another pass I just smelled the Donna Karan and I must say I prefer the denser DK. That said, as I commented there - now that jasmine has been restricted - the comment "just a simple jasmine" is not valid anymore.
    Still, I'd have preferred a darker, more indolic jasmine.

Chant d'Aromes: on paper, for now. Nice aldehyidic floral, and with a dose of peach skin. Luca Turin said that it was initially an aldehydic floral with a big dose of peach, then lost it and became a generic aldehidic floral, then got back some of the peach, but not all. This one definitely has some, though not too much, so it's probably of the last type. It's ok, but the florals smell a little bit too juvenile, almost hinting at the dreaded freesia-peony florist hybrids, so I don't se myself wearing this. But to be fair one has to try on skin.

Finally, I started to explore the big No 5 packet! I assume the edt and edp are the current ones, which I know well, so I may not spray them. Of course, I was rather more tempted by the two (!) extraits. I just put them on 15 min ago, so they'll have to be reexamined. For now: the current one is crispier and cleaner, and with less florals. I had sprayed the current one last year in a duty free, and it felt even cleaner and soapier and less floral. So I don't know if this isn't the very latest variety, or more likely, if the act of spraying made the difference. Spraying immediately envelops you in a cloud of clean, soapy aldehydes, something which dabbing was not.

The old one has richer florals, and less aldehydes, but of course less aldehydes could be accounted for by age. Indeed, on skin I note a sort of cardboardy note which I smelled also in the interdit, and which I smelled also in a ruined no 5 extrait I have. It's not very evident, but now that I know it, my nose perceives it. It doesn't appear on paper (I have the two also on paper), only on skin. I'm wondering if it's something that turned, or just my skin.

In any case, even if not as strong as last year, I am now surrounded by a beautiful, abstract, clean cloud.

cacio

Wow, that was fast, Cacio!! All these beautiful scents now coming my way! I'm especially looking forward to testing the Chanel No 5 scents. All of them are new territory for me, so the comparisons will be a fantastic opportunity. From your descriptions, Climat sounds quite interesting & I just might find a love in Liu. Big indolic flowers are usually too much for me to enjoy. I see some potential in Knize Two as well. Great reviews, Cacio. Thank you!

Lovely line-up there, Miriam is utterly gorgeous. The only standout aldehydic fragrance you're missing is Stephen Jones by Comme Des Garcons - and even CDG EDP 2011 - OH and M/Mink. 3 super modern interpretations.

Freddie, thank you! I will note your recs for a second, future aldehydic pass! The response to this one has been much more than I expected. I had it in mind to keep this pass to around 10 scents but obviously I found it impossible to edit down that much. To be honest, smaller passes work a bit better. But I really did feel all of these should be here; I just couldn't cut any more!

Miriam is the Tauer I wish I could wear. It's very nearly perfect if you ask me. I admire Mr. Tauer and his work so much but his base does not like my skin. Still, I wouldn't have him change a thing; he's an original. I do hope someone in the group will fall in love with Miriam.

cacio, some details on the dates of those scents for you:
    Climat- you are correct, this is recent. Came from a La Collection bottle, the ones with the wonky caps that went to discounters shortly after their release.

Chant d'Aromes- yes, most recent version. Right again!

No.5- yes, EDT & EDP are current. My EDP was purchased in Jan. 2011, EDT and extrait in spring of 2012. All were bought new; my Chanels come from Macy's or Chanel.com. When I want vintage, that is left for Whitefluffy to seek out; she is the e-bay expert.

You were 4 for 4 on those cacio! Great investigative sniffing!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 20th January 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Great reviews Cacio! Thanks so much! I can't wait till it's my turn, though I don't know if my nose is as finely tuned as your is yet.

M/Mink? No thanks... the bilgey concoction is one of my no-no scents.

I had forgotten to comment on Sex Pistols. Perhaps because I don't like it. The scent is taken over by some (to my nose) unpleasant woody amber and smells like alcohol cleaner. But then I tend not to like woody ambers.

In the No 5 territory, I tried the elixir sensuel. The opening reminded me a lot of a gorgeous No 5 bath oil (which unfortunately Chanel isn't doing anymore)., perhaps because of the medium. But then it becomes a touch fruitier and sweeter than the alcohol based ones. Good nonetheless.

I have not sprayed these edt and edp, but I know the current ones. To my nose the edp is richer and woodier, but a tad too heavy. The edt is a little inbetween the parfum and the edp, elegant and smooth but not as crisp as the parfum. The parfum remains the most striking, crisp and clean, even though the current version seems a touch deficient in the floral department, which the vintage has. But then there's the strange slightly cardboardy note in the vintage I'm not sure about.

I think this is it - what a wonderful experience! I've been floating in soapy clouds these days. Sometimes next week, off to the next sniffer.

cacio

Oooh, I'm surprised (and happy!) that you liked the No.5 elixir!

Thank you so much for participating, cacio! I enjoyed each and every one of your impressions; very glad you joined. Wonderful, as always! Hope you'll be back when I round up another set of aldehydics.

Hmm, bilge in M/Mink? Will this make my stomach turn like SM did? Lol! Sounds a bit scary but I'm not above inflicting bilge on my samplers!

Southerngardens, you are coming along beautifully and already add much here! Do not worry about where you are in comparison to others. All you have to do is keep learning and you'll find your confidence growing. Focus instead on finding YOUR way of thinking and writing about fragrance. Join all of the giant, intimidating sample passes you can!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 21st January 2013 at 02:56 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the advice PerfumedLady! I will do just that!

Just got the Eau premiere from Schilling (thanks)! To my nose, it is aldehydic too. Clearly in the No 5 family, this is a variation with more evident citrus. Sweeter and lighter than the others (as jujy was saying), but still with the same smooth soapy cloud, especially at a distance. It is fun to smell all the various No 5 in short succession, the same main theme played with subtle differences in the details.

I also noticed I forgot to comment on Miriam, which I did not spray because I have a big sample myself (from the Brian Pera project). This is a classic, dry aldehydic floral, very elegant and restrained, over the usual Tauerade base, that dry, dusty, flinty base noticeable in many of his composition. The base is interesting because sometimes is seems overwhelming and sometimes not. When I smelled this, it seemed very well done, just a background. Whereas it seemed too strong in Orange star and Rose chypree, as well as the first time I smelled Loretta (a tuberose). Then the second time I smelled Loretta it seemed back in check again, so who knows. I'll have to retry Miriam soon.

cacio

Yes, EP certainly has aldehydes but for me, it's the least traditionally aldehydic version of No.5. I originally cut this one from the line-up because I just don't feel it holds its own next to the others in this group. I was shocked to find the gel SE holds its sparkle on this skin more; I expected the Elixir to be much less aldehydic. You're right, it is fun to sniff them all side by side- go ahead and throw EP in if you like, cacio.

There are so many Tauers I think are beautiful- just not for my own wearing. My skin plays up the more sour aspects of Tauerade to an unpleasant degree, I'm afraid. When I first tried Miriam, though, I knew I had to give it some exposure. I do think it's one of the finest modern aldehydics out there. Now that I've lost my tuberose fear, I must try Loretta!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 23rd January 2013 at 01:32 PM.

Oh, PerfumedLady I am afraid you might not like Loretta at all! I can send you a sample, of course, but to my nose it's a cheap grape soda on his even more overpowering this time base. I just took one whiff from the vial and it stuck in my nose for hours. Of course, it's a testament to quality of Mr'. Tauers perfumes, but I was quite disappointed unfortunately. And I had hard times picking up tuberose in there.

I did like Miriam very much, but to me it' was like a different version on Chanel n 5 parfum on his famous Tauerade. I am still his huge fan however and was very much intrigued by Lys de Desert.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 28th January 2013 at 08:47 PM.

M/Mink is definitely bilgey - in the opening at least. But the opening is just PURE adoxal aldehyde - which is surprisingly, very very challenging - it dries down to a beeswax/incense/patchouli. I love it >

The package arrived safe & sound, & I hope to start testing tonight. Thank you, Cacio!

Looks like I'm going to be a busy lady for a while with all of these scents! Just love your presentation of these PerfumedLady! Such nice little tins to keep everything safe & organized. You're giving me some excellent ideas! Hope to start posting some impressions tomorrow. Happy Sunday, everyone!

queen of the universe

Did the Antilope arrive, Genie Jeanie?

Did the Antilope arrive, Genie Jeanie?
    Not yet, Jujy. The mail hasn't been delivered today, so fingers crossed! I know it's been a while since you mailed it out.

I've started writing up some reviews & will begin posting when the site stabilizes a bit. Having muchos problemas!!

Update: Jujy's Antilope arrived! Thank you, Jujy! It will be in my test lineup tomorrow.
    Last edited by Genie Jeanie; 28th January 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Oh, jujy, thank you again and again for sending out the Antilope! I'm so happy we're including that beauty!

I don't blame you, Genie! The site has exhausted even my nearly-bottomless well of patience. Hope it's resolved soon; meanwhile I'm considering other avenues for our discussion should BN crap out altogether. There is another, back-up BN disussion forum somewhere on these interwebs; will try to post a link tomorrow. We may just need it.

Freddie, I'm terrified yet intrigued, which means M/Mink is a must try for me! Glad you brought it up; I've actually been curious about the entire line. This will light a fire under me to get a sample order going. And I meant to tell you before, please feel free to chime in with your thoughts on any of these! You need not be in the group to post here about these scents- that goes for everyone!

I don't know, Whitefluffy, since my last post I've only become more baffled by tuberose! You're probably right. I have no idea why I sometimes love it and sometimes loathe it. But I'm willing to bet tuberose+Tauerade won't be a love for me! Of course, that's what I said about the HdP tuberose trilogy. I think we all know I had to eat those words!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 29th January 2013 at 12:09 AM.

queen of the universe

Just got word from Genie Jeanie that the Antilope has landed!

And, yes, the site is hiccoughing all over the place. Double-posting, asking me if I want to leave, then telling me I can't—it's like a bad boyfriend!