Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Sample Pass: Aldehydics

It looks like posts are moving along a little better right now, so I'll attempt to post on a couple of the scents I've tried so far. Fingers crossed!

Estee Lauder Pleasures Intense - My initial impression was "lily with crunch." Very lively, clean-smelling floral, that focuses on lily, jasmine & vibrant green notes. A small hint of patchouli peeks out in the drydown. Very strong projection & longevity with this one. One spritz practically blew me away. Nicely constructed scent, but too sweet & intense for me to appreciate. I would have guessed this to be a scent from the big-boned '80's & I can understand the love. But for me, enough already!

Le Labo Aldehyde #44 - I expected a scent exclusive to Texas to be big & bold, but not so with this Le Labo! Opens with an effervescent blast of citrus that quickly eases into a bouquet of soft white flowers. I can detect jasmine & a hint of tuberose. The resulting scent is a soft, citrusy & slightly soapy floral, with a musky base that retains its fizz throughout. It wears very close to the body & would work well as a daytime scent. Very pretty scent, but nothing unique enough to extract money from my wallet.

Hope this will post & only once!!! More to come tomorrow..... -GJ
    Last edited by Genie Jeanie; 30th January 2013 at 02:17 PM.

Genie Jeanie, I loved your descriptions! Pleasures intense is indeed crunchy, vivacious, and extremely loud. It's my hubby's absolute favorite and you had to see the face when I told him on good authority (PerfumedLady's) that there are aldehydes in there.

But I think it's interesting that both you and cacio thought of Aldehyde 44 as rather uninteresting. My hubby, PerfumedLady, and I are very much enchanted with Aldehyde 44, if only the price wasn't so prohibitive. I think Aldehyde 44 is possessed by pale ghostly soul that is capable of haunting us forever.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 29th January 2013 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    [b]
    But I think it's interesting that both you and cacio thought of Aldehyde 44 as rather uninteresting. My hubby, PerfumedLady, and I are very much enchanted with Aldehyde 44, if only the price wasn't so prohibitive. I think Aldehyde 44 is possessed by pale ghostly soul that is capable of haunting us forever.
    I did like Aldehyde 44 very much, Whitefluffy, but I swooned at the price! Some of these fume prices are getting seriously out of control! Rose 31 is more my style.

Having terrible connection problems again this morning, so I'll try to post a few more before the web page crashes. This is getting old. *sigh*

Chanel No 22 - vintage - This one I remember, as I owned it years ago. Now I'm reminded why I loved it so much! Lush, sparkling floral bouquet with a warm & earthy drydown. My nose detects iris & ylang, which are two of my favorite notes, and yes, tuberose is in there too. A bit of incense completes a very lovely fragrance. Would love to own this one again!

Rive Gauche - A total abomination on my skin. Linear stench with only some musty notes of wood & moss discernible. I get nothing vaguely floral or citrus from Rive Gauche. Pity, as there are so many great reviews on this one. A big no from moi.

Liu - Beautiful sparkling citrusy opening that glides seamlessly into a lush floral heart. Jasmine is the most assertive to my nose, but I'm picking up some iris as well. A warm vanilla shows up to complete the drydown. Just yummy!!

Antilope (vintage EDT) - Antilope is a scent that's easy to love. In the gorgeous, vibrant floral opening, I detected rose & ylang, & heaven only knows what else. I got so lost in the enjoyment of the scent that I just wanted to experience it without having to pick it apart. Just the right touch of animalic notes & warm woods make for a rich & classy scent. Thank you, Jujy, for this addition to the pass. I must find some of this for myself. Stunning!!!

Oh, BN is just awful today, I'll try to get a few words in quickly!

You're off to a fantastic start, Genie! You used to wear 22?! Oh, this pass will not be hard for you at all! 22 is as aldehydic as they come. I'm enjoying your thoughts so much and appreciate you getting them in even though I know it must have been a hassle what with all the website problems. I hate, hate, hate Rive Gauche! It's not the moss and woods for me though, it's the utterly vile hairspray rose note. Now I must apologize to its fans for my rant-I'm sorry! And I'm sooo happy you loved Antilope! Is that the 50's EDT? If so, those warm woods are the result of real, high quality sandalwood. Love it paired with those animalics, makes the drydown so cozy and plush. I also love Liu, we are quite similar on these!

Beautiful description of Aldehyde 44, Whitefluffy- perfect! Your poetic words say it all. I love that even Mr. W has learned that he can love some aldehydes; it almost feels like he's part of our sampling group!

I've been over to the BN backup board and it appears to be just as flaky as this one. Dealing with BN is becoming a chore and I wanted this to be fun for everyone. I really want to keep our thread going here on BN but if it goes down, everyone please contact me over on Parfumo.net (a German perfume site); my username over there is plain and simple Amy. Just click on the Community tab at the top of the homepage and you will be directed to a page where you can look me up by name. You'll need to register an account over there to do so but it's quick and painless. Participants may also PM me e-mail addresses if you'd like to be sure you're kept in the sampling group loop. But Parfumo at least gives you all a way to find me if BN is down for more than a day or so. We will do our best to carry on here, let's hope these issues are resolved soon.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Interesting the dislike on Rive Gauche, I didn't imagine it could generate such diverse opinions. I wonder what the reaction would be to the older sister Calandre. In another pass the sample...

cacio

queen of the universe

Genie Jeanie, so glad you are enjoying Antilope. I find it to be one of the most wearable fragrances in my wardrobe. Reminds me of vintage My Sin + chamomile, with less civet. Same "lotiony" floral heart, in which I detect clary sage and muguet. I would call the aldehydes anisic, there's definitely a tarragon vibe at the start. It lasts for ever on me, the creamy sandalwood infused drydown staying close to the skin hours later. A real case of "they don't make them like they used to" IMHO.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Ah, we sure do have another set of diverse opinions, cacio! Takes me back to Malik al Atoor, lol! Rive Gauche just feels so cheaply done to me; my original post on this one is truly my experience with it- every time I smell RG, I think Lysol+rose. Not a pretty association. Have not tried Calandre however and am certainly up for it! Another pass indeed!

Antilope is so very wearable! Rest assured you are appropriate no matter the season or occasion in that one, jujy! But then, I'd be happy to be stuck next to anything in your wardrobe!

Mr.PL has a work relatated event this weekend so I'll likely be absent the next couple days. Chatter on without me, if BN allows! Genie, should you need anything, use my e-mail as I'm likely to see it sooner and I'll get back to you ASAP! Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 31st January 2013 at 08:07 PM.

Still plodding along with the scents, I have a few more impressions to add.

Knize Two -Sharp green opening that quickly subdues. Very smooth iris/violet with sandalwood in the drydown. There's also something in the composition that, to my nose, contributes a *tea* note. I've smelled the same accord in Aimez- Moi. This scent is marketed to men, but I'd wear it in a heartbeat!

L'Ame Soeur Divine - Fresh floral scent. Mostly a transparent rose & ylang combo with a warm salty amber finish. Soft without being powdery. Though they are very different scents, this has the same *vibe* as L'eau d'Hiver to me. I already have a large decant on order!

Miriam - Very unusual opening. Fizzy orange opening, like an orange-flavored sparkling water. Morphs into a woody rose-violet with vanilla. Vibrant yet powdery. Smooth as silk on my skin. Another good one!

Climat - Well, you can't win 'em all. My winning streak ended with Climat. At times I can be ultra-sensitive to animalics & that's what happened here, even though it's not the vintage version. A strong civet & raspy herbal opening carried throughout the scent on me. Violet & lily of the valley are the most identifiable floral notes, but have no chance of surviving that grotesque opening combo. This one didn't work on me at all, & I don't think anyone else would appreciate being downwind in my vicinity. Just as in the case with Rive Gauche, my skin can turn some of the nicest scents into a vile concoction!

If the reaction to this Climat was that it's animalic, I wonder what would happen with vintage Joy or My Sin... (sooner or later we'll have you try Ferme tes yeux)

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    If the reaction to this Climat was that it's animalic, I wonder what would happen with vintage Joy or My Sin... (sooner or later we'll have you try Ferme tes yeux)

cacio
    I love vintage Joy, Cacio! Some fragrances just seem to choke me with their animalic notes & others are quite appealing. The dose doesn't seem to be the trigger. No way for me to predict which way a scent will go on my skin. Very odd!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Genie Jeanie, so glad you are enjoying Antilope. I find it to be one of the most wearable fragrances in my wardrobe. Reminds me of vintage My Sin + chamomile, with less civet. Same "lotiony" floral heart, in which I detect clary sage and muguet. I would call the aldehydes anisic, there's definitely a tarragon vibe at the start. It lasts for ever on me, the creamy sandalwood infused drydown staying close to the skin hours later. A real case of "they don't make them like they used to" IMHO.
    Jujy54, I have been interested in Antilope since you and the others have been talking about it and the reviews I have read about it. It sounds like a vintage feminine scent that I could wear,so, I have found a vintage bottle on eBay. Now I just have to win it! Wish me luck!

southerngardens
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

queen of the universe

Yes, good luck, southerngardens! Avoid the EdC.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thanks , this bottle is PDT. Is that ok?
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

I'm a bit stuffy from allergies today, but have done my best to interpret a couple more. Tomorrow I'll be busy co-hosting a Superbowl party & I don't want to fall too far behind!! Hope to pass the samples on to Schilling by Tuesday.

Nocturnes - Icy orange opening that becomes a dense floral. Tuberose is the most assertive note, but I can always pick this one out of a crowd. There is an unpleasant jumble of mid-notes, but the scent settles into a light & pleasant, though unremarkable floral. What I would consider a safe scent.

L'Interdict - The pass sample is a vintage parfum & I own an EDT that was purchased @ 10yrs ago. Sniffing them side-by-side, I am hard pressed to find any common ground. The EDT has the vibrant opening of a big juicy peach. The scent progresses into heavy floral notes, the most evident being iris. I'm also picking up tuberose, a hint of almond, patchouli & woods. This version ends up as a beautiful, soft floral with about 5 hrs of longevity.
    The vintage parfum opens deep & rich, but lacking in the effervescent fruity top notes of my edt. It's difficult to pick out the individual notes, though there is a hint of rose & something very rooty. I was puzzled at Cacio's description of a paper note, but now it makes perfect sense. It turned very powdery & then poof, it was gone.
    I will add in a decant of the edt for anyone else who would like to compare the two.

queen of the universe

PdT should be good. Here's a picture of my Weil collection. The Antilope on the far right, in the large Hexagonal bottle with the black cap is the EdC to be avoided. The PdT and the EdT in the bottles shown are fine, tho the EdT in this case is the older and better formulation. They are quite similar.
    P1020924.jpg

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

WOW that's some collection of Weil! Very Nice!

queen of the universe

Thank you! The minis all became part of my Weil Then and Now sample pass, being mostly finished off by mumsy. Weil de Weil and Antilope are my two favorites. Weil de Weil is one of the swampiest greens ever.

Wow, great reading, Genie! Thanks a bunch for including your L'Interdit EDT! Genie has generously sent me a sample of it, too so we'll all be comparing! That's so very thoughtful of you!

And you even found yourself one worth exploring more! L'Ame Soeur is beautifully made. It's not for me but it comes sooo close. I love everything about it except a wood note of some sort that just doesn't agree with me. Again though, this is not something I'd change as it does seem to keep it from becoming very powdery and certainly makes this scent something different in a category containing many similar scents. Divine makes incredibly lovely things, Genie-I should have thought to recommend you this house before. And I thought you'd like Miriam, very glad you did. I want that one to find lots of love! And Knize Two, goodness, I love it. I want some too. Spot on description from you, great work!

Southerngardens, you just barely missed that Weil pass of jujy's, think it was right before you joined! What a shame, you'd have really enjoyed it. But you are catching up on the classics in no time, anyway. It was so challenging, difficult even- but SO MUCH FUN! One of the greatest learning experiences I've had here. I'm glad we got you interested in Antilope; I did in fact think of you when jujy offered to include it. I have a hunch you may love it. Think you'd like Zibeline too, if ever you get the chance to try some vintage. So, did that Antilope purchase go through? I'm so curious!

Hi PerfumedLady! Hope you had a fantastic weekend!

Sorry it's taking me forever & a day to complete the pass. Here's a few more impressions & I'll sniff the Chanels tomorrow AM & head to the PO. Your turn soon, Schilling!

Etat Libre d'Orange Sex Pistols - I was expecting a weird one here. Uh...it is. The scent starts out with a strange jumble of strong notes, all in competition for dominance. The drydown is a salty lemon-pepper mixed with a smell of sweaty skin. (& it ain't mine!) Enough said.

Iris Poudre - I had a sample of this at one time & enjoyed the opportunity to give it another test. This seems to be more of a floral bouquet than a defined iris scent, & is soft, though not particularly powdery. Rose & violet are also apparent as well as a bit of tuberose or magnolia. ( I still confuse the last two). Not overly sweet. Thumbs up for a pleasant all-occasion fragrance.

Amouage Gold - When I was first introduced to Amouage, years ago, I passed on Gold. The huge crystal bottle was intimidating & the opulence just too intense for me to appreciate. I was, at the time, a victim of sticky sweet florals. My selection of Ubar was quite risque enough, thank you. Now, after experiencing many varied scents & changes in taste, I've just had the chance to try Gold again. And I love it!!
    This scent is quite the seductress! The bright green opening merges with jasmine & rose, and is completed by a thick, rich hug of incense & wood. A very potent scent that only requires a few drops to mesmerize for the evening & stick with you til dawn. Amouage Gold has finally won me over. Now I wish I could find that crystal decanter that I passed up years ago!!

I wish I detected the animalics in Sex Pistols - but no, the woody ambers smother everything for me. And vintage Amouage are indeed superbly rich.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Wow, great reading, Genie! Thanks a bunch for including your L'Interdit EDT! Genie has generously sent me a sample of it, too so we'll all be comparing! That's so very thoughtful of you!

And you even found yourself one worth exploring more! L'Ame Soeur is beautifully made. It's not for me but it comes sooo close. I love everything about it except a wood note of some sort that just doesn't agree with me. Again though, this is not something I'd change as it does seem to keep it from becoming very powdery and certainly makes this scent something different in a category containing many similar scents. Divine makes incredibly lovely things, Genie-I should have thought to recommend you this house before. And I thought you'd like Miriam, very glad you did. I want that one to find lots of love! And Knize Two, goodness, I love it. I want some too. Spot on description from you, great work!

Southerngardens, you just barely missed that Weil pass of jujy's, think it was right before you joined! What a shame, you'd have really enjoyed it. But you are catching up on the classics in no time, anyway. It was so challenging, difficult even- but SO MUCH FUN! One of the greatest learning experiences I've had here. I'm glad we got you interested in Antilope; I did in fact think of you when jujy offered to include it. I have a hunch you may love it. Think you'd like Zibeline too, if ever you get the chance to try some vintage. So, did that Antilope purchase go through? I'm so curious!
    Hello PerfumedLady! By the skin of my teeth I won the Antilope PDT! I think I over payed for it, but I had to have it! I cannot wait to try it on and take in the aldehydes and let it develop into the beauty I understand it will.I may camp by the mailbox! LOL

Yes, YAY, southerngardens! I'm tempted to head your way and camp with you, I'm just dying to know if my hunch is right! I have a feeling you'll be perfectly happy with the money spent once you smell this baby. Worth it at any price, IMO. When your turn comes around, how about giving us a comparison of your bottle and jujy's sample? Only if you have the time, of course! Congratulations on your win!

Oh, poor Genie, with the Sex Pistols! Maybe I'll be the only one in the group who likes it, lol! You are so funny, have to admit I love it when you're disgusted! Brings out your natural hilarity! You've given me such fun reading, dear friend; I knew you'd be a great sampler! Very interesting to me to note those (and there are many!) that you and I both really enjoy; will help me to recognize samples you should try as I come across them. More fun for us!

Genie and everyone else- no worries about length of time with these! You actually haven't taken long at all, Genie. Everyone, please go at the speed that works for you. Cacio went fast because he can; this method works for him and he already knew many of these. Those of you who are unfamiliar with most of the samples will naturally need more time. If it were me, I'd want a week and a half-2 weeks with a pass this large. As long as you stay in communication with us, no one will be breathing down your necks telling you to hurry. We're all different and that's ok!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 5th February 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Hello PerfumedLady! By the skin of my teeth I won the Antilope PDT! I think I over payed for it, but I had to have it! I cannot wait to try it on and take in the aldehydes and let it develop into the beauty I understand it will.I may camp by the mailbox! LOL
    Congratulations southerngardens on your win! Antilope is a thing of beauty, I know you will not regret it at all. I was tempted few times myself to get a bottle, and Kipling while at it. And for vintage you enjoy...there is no overpayment just the right price!!!

I am glad that you liked Amouage Gold, Geanie Jeanie, I thought it was very beautiful. Though I am not sure from what vintage my sample was. And I agree with PerfumedLady your descriptions are hilarious, I am still giggling about drunk gardenia at the party.

Well, I'm finishing up on the final scents right now & packaging everything up for Schilling. My arms are covered in dabs of Chanel No 5. Ooh la la! Will take my notes through the drydown & post my thoughts in the AM.

Don't expect any laughs tomorrow, PL & Whitefluffy! No disgust with these sniffs. Yummy stuff!

queen of the universe

PerfumedLady, thanks ever for the kind words! Some how or another I became an accidental Weil maven and never looked back. My vintage Antilope EdT is a can't-do-without.

Well, I ended my testing with the Chanels last night & what a grand finale!! Now I can fully understand why people enjoy layering different versions of the same scent. It felt like I was in the middle of a "Symphony No 5"! This seems to be a very polarizing scent, but for me it was pure love. So much has already been written about this classic, that I prefer to just describe my thoughts on the differences in the versions, rather than dissect the notes in each. (My Momma didn't raise a fool! )

Eau Premier - A more delicate, lemony & sweeter version of the classic scent. Very pretty & easy wear. Like it a lot!
    Edt - Very soft & clean, lots of sparkle, but the least amount of sillage & longevity.
    Edp - Noticeably smoother & richer than the edt. Smells of better quality. Prefer over the edt.
    Elixir- Very faint when first applied but the scent blooms with the heat of the skin. Softer than the edp, but without the sharp edge of the edt.
    Parfum extraits - Both of these extraits blew my mind! I've never tried an extrait before, but now I understand. These are the "top shelf" scents of the perfume world. The deepest, richest & most concentrated versions, with no off notes to distract or offend. While both are absolutely stunning, the 1950's version is in a class of its own. Smoothly animalic & a bit more powdery & floral. Both are food for the gods!!

Thank you sooo much, PerfumedLady, for hosting this wonderful pass & allowing me to participate. I've learned a lot with these scents! I think I can safely identify aldehydes, (sparkly, effervescent, bright, zingy, etc...), extrait = , and I need to plant a money tree in the backyard to support my new appreciation of vintage!! Many thanks also to the other generous members who contributed from their own wardrobes to make our pass a success.

Hopefully, Schilling will have the smellies for the weekend!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

You did such a great job with the reviews Genie Jeanie! They were professional and funny! When my turn comes about, I won't be able to capture notes as you do, but I will just write down my best impression of each frag. Thanks so much!

You did such a great job with the reviews Genie Jeanie! They were professional and funny! When my turn comes about, I won't be able to capture notes as you do, but I will just write down my best impression of each frag. Thanks so much!
    Absolutely agree! And I know it must have been hard to distinguish and not to get lost in the horde of Chanel N 5 iterations, but as always you did fun job! I am so happy for you that you got to experience the extraits, aren't they something else? I discovered that many times I really don't care for the extrait version and prefer EdP or EdT; but for complete Chanel N 5 experience, an extrait is an absolute must!

Thank you, Southerngardens! I'm certainly quite far from professional, but I've found that some occasional humor is a great distraction! I've seen some of your reviews & you have no worries, my friend. It's more important to have fun & learn than to be *correct* with passes!

Whitefluffy, you are one fabulous lady for supplying that 1950's extrait! Oops...did I forget to mail that one out???

Lol, Genie! I've threatened to "forget" to stick in a sample so many times with our passes! Stinks having to send away a love, doesn't it?! Brilliant work on these and of course I especially loved reading about your No.5 experience! I'm so thrilled you enjoyed it! Probably don't even need to mention it but No.5 is in fact my favorite of this group. I mean hands down, blow the others out of the water favorite (well, except Antilope, they're on the same pedestal to me)! But it is polarizing, as you mentioned. There are those who just don't like how it smells and we're always entitled to feel that way about any given perfume. But then there are those who hate it simply for being Chanel No.5 and they convince themselves that it's really marketing and the Chanel prestige that makes this sell. This annoys me to no end as those of us who love the smell know this is bunk. If it were bottled in say, one of those awful JPG flacons and given a generic label, I still could not live without it. And yes, extrait is something else! I agree with Whitefluffy, with No.5 it is necessary to at least try extrait. It's not the one I reach for most often but it's a bit like the difference between taking a scenery photo in regular mode and then seeing that same shot in panoramic. The extrait is the whole picture with this one, complete and pretty much perfect, IMO.

Thank you so much for participating, Genie! I had a feeling you might like several of these! I loved reading each one of your insightful posts. I agree with the others, one would think that you've been doing these passes for years, not months! Sample passes work very well for you; your nose becomes more finely tuned with each one. It's been a joy to participate with you in these passes from the beginning and watch your (superfast!) progress. It absolutely made my heart flutter to read you think you'll know an aldehyde when you meet one now! I couldn't ask for more from this pass, thank you! Please come back when we do another of these!

I would not be surprised at all if you find you're like Genie, southerngardens. And I'm the same, too- it seems the pressure of these passes (and probably a bit of fear of making asses ourselves!) propels some of us to do better than we thought possible! You'll see, it gets easier and easier. No judgments here and everyone is free to post what they like. If you have more questions than answers, you just ask them! The discussion is the main point, we can all learn from that. I know your posts will add much to the thread! In the end, it's the different styles of communicating and our odd topics of discussion that make sample pass threads as a whole such a great resource to have around here. Sort of like we're all stitching pieces of the same quilt with all of our different hands. The result will of course not be uniform-and we wouldn't want it to be!

Jujy, you're more than welcome, I mean every word! Speaking of excellent resources- I bet your sample pass thread contains more Weil info than any other source around! What a gift to Basenotes that was!

Wow, what a monster post, didn't even realize I was rattling on so much! This is what happens when I'm having fun!

Genie and Cacio, Stellar job translating impressions into words, especially with a lineup dressed so similarly. You've set the bar very high, so I'd better put my big boy pants before the package arrives. I can practically smell the Chanel.

Perfumed Lady, you've been an excellent ringleader. Beyond organizing and supplying, you've cheered us along the way, praised our efforts and encouraged us not to be shy putting it out there. Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself, as I've yet to muddle my way through. You may fall awkwardly silent while scratching your head after reading my posts. Time will tell.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Schilling, your going to do a great job! Just find a way to write down your impressions in your own way! You don't have to be a note nose because I'm sure not and I'm almost right behind you! Good Luck and have a great time.

southerngardens

The eagle has landed. Repeat, the jumbo eagle has landed, and this will require more of a game plan than I'd realized.

We've got one fallen soldier whose emptied contents blanched out his and his neighbor's label, which reminds me of old Mrs. Wilcox's typing class. When you were bad, she stuck you at a typewriter with no numbers/letters on the keys. But, I accept this challenge, as I'll try to compare their vials with Cacio's, PLs and Genie's previous descriptions.

The No.5's are smugly looking at me from within their pouch, but I've lifted the caps on all of the others. On the briefest of first impressions, I spot some potential front runners: Liu, Knize 2 and Iris Poudre.

No testing tonight, but will begin strategizing tomorrow.

Oh no!!! What do you think leaked out, Schilling??
    Dang, I wrapped them up so tight too.

No worries. You did a great job packaging it all up nice and snug. With so many, one was bound to quit on us at some point. Sometimes we just need to be free.

It was a 1ml vial, bagged with 4-5 other LuckyScent sample. We'll see what my investigation yields. Twas neither a Chanel, nor an Amouage. AquaNet Sex Pistols also unharmed.

If one vial emptied out, you've probably been smelling it since from the fragrant packaging....

Well, we can work by deduction - just list the missing and we'll see from there.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    No worries. You did a great job packaging it all up nice and snug. With so many, one was bound to quit on us at some point. Sometimes we just need to be free.

It was a 1ml vial, bagged with 4-5 other LuckyScent sample. We'll see what my investigation yields. Twas neither a Chanel, nor an Amouage. AquaNet Sex Pistols also unharmed.
    Whew, I'm glad the Chanels & Amouage made the journey unscathed! Please please tell me that Jujy's Antilope is ok too. I don't want to be branded as a vintage destroyer!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

If it was the Antilope, I just got a new vintage PDT bottle a few days ago and I could replace it.

southerngardens

It's ok, you guys! Genie, I insist you relax! I know your packaging is impeccable. Accidents happen in spite of our best efforts.

cacio is right, we can figure this out, probably easier than you think as I know exactly which scents were in vials as opposed to atomizers. This narrows it down a lot. If we can replace it, we will but if not, no big deal!

You already have me eager for your thoughts, Schilling! I had Iris Poudre and Knize Two in mind as two you might like! Wouldn't have guessed Liu, this will be very interesting to hear about. I think it's among the best modern jasmines and that's a very small club; jasmine ain't jasmine anymore. I may decide I need a nice decant of it for myself.

Good-night gang! No more worries.

queen of the universe

I think the plastic wands/tops that cap the vials are prone to fatigue. I bet they're not intended for repeated opening/closing. atomizers and unscrew, too. For those reasons, I prefer the 2 ml screw cap vials Securely screwed on with a little tape, I don't think one has ever failed.

Iíll preface by saying that I easily get overwhelmed and lose focus when offered too many choices. Sitting with me at a Chinese restaurant is torture for my friends as I sit blank faced in front of the giant menu. So for this, I knew that I needed a plan that created order amongst these 20+ vials. I decided to start building my aldehyde foundation on its natural birthplace, No5, and then proceed mostly chronologically. Unlike many of you in-the-know, for me aldehydes are like the Portugese language. I can only identify it by whittling down my guesses, ďItís not Italian and itís not Spanish, so it must be Portugese.Ē. I can pretty confidently say now that Iíll no longer be identifying an aldehyde by what itís not. Still, putting it into words is tricky, beyond the commonly used, ďbrightĒ, ďupliftingĒ and ďsparklyĒ, especially when I didnít find that to be the case each time.

This game has been a lot of fun. (Southerngardens, youíre going to go bananas!) Iíd assumed that each of these six No5 offerings would be variations on a theme, affected by concentration or the fashion of each of their times, but thereís more to it than that. If the 1950Ďs vintage Extrait is in the root key, the remaining five are written in 1/2-to-full note increments higher on the keyboard, but with minute inclusions that keep this progression from feeling like a scale exercise.

Extrait (Vintage) generously supplied by Whitefluffy: This cognac-colored vintage sample opens with a sweet, but mellowed rosey floral blend layered over blonde smokey woods (vetiver?). Nothing sharp and nose-wrinkling about the top. Like the EDP and EDT, over the next 2-5 hours, it grows broader and more complex, without getting louder. An animalic heart emerges (civet? authentic??) which I associate with vintage compositions of old Guerlain. I donít count myself a fan of the note, but it might be due to this civet that allows a transformation to occur at the 100 minute mark. Suddenly the animal burns off and leaves the skin with nothing but soft buttery bouquets. I think I actually said outloud, ďOh my goshĒ, because it was such a dramatic transition. This was another lesson for me in perfume patience. Very long lasting, 8-10hrs.

Parfum Grand Extrait (current): On backorder as Chanel tends their flower beds, this juice is $2100 for the smallest bottle (250ml), so itís got to be good, but Iím about to expose what a hack I am: This opens with a hint of Band-Aid and Bain de Soleil. When I tried Googling where my ridiculousness came from, I read that Ylang-Ylang, believed to be a No5 ingredient, can come across with a rubbery quality. (If you can recommend any representative YYs that will help imprint this flower onto my brain, Iíd appreciate it.) The drydown is No5 poured into a batch of thick, dark oily soap and a dash of the spicyness of old Opium.

EDP: Climb a full note higher on the No5 keyboard and ramp up those florals, suds and background incense. Except for the civet, itís got it all and is most likely prized by the die-hard, Replenishment Program No5 fan. This sassy, brassy member of the family goes to 11. About this Replenishment Program that Chanel offers, if I need Chanel to automatically send me a new bottle of EDP every 30 days, I should examine how itís affecting those around me and adjust my dosing accordingly.

EDT: Weíre dipping back down again by a half note. Itís got a leaner quality due what seems to be a floral culling. These gaps are filled in with sweet citrus notes (orange?), neroli and musk. Less soap than the EDP, in fact less everything than the the EDP. My favorite No5. 6-7hrs longevity.

Sensual Elixir: This is a great version of the EDP, minus the bullhorn. Fast forward through the first two hours of EDP's floral aldehyde explosion and get this. 'Sensual' is underscored, because the projection is something you share privately with Brad Pitt, or whoever you want in your arms, and not the entire office.

Eau Premiere: After testing this one last year, estranged from its siblings, it struck me as a relatively simple flanker, a No5 with training wheels. But now that judgement seems naive and uninformed. After sampling it along with her siblings, I can appreciate how Chanel extended the No5 definition into this crystalline, fizzy, candied citrus creation. Perfumed Lady shouldnít pick on this little aldehyde, lol! Unlike several of the above, this and Elixir might be great options for those in warmer climates, or men, or anyone who doesn't necessarily want to smell like a rose bed, Gabrielle, or Marilyn.

- - - Updated - - -

The unidentified fragrance mystery is solved. I think.

Warum, you may be pleased to know that your Chanel No22 survived the fight. It may have lost it's label, but it remains intact after having successfully destroyed the one off of it's baggie-mate, Chant d'Aromes, and killed off any of its Guerlain contents. Like a Thunderdome of perfume. Two frags enter, one frag leaves.

I'm basing this on the fact that the surviving scent smells like an aggressive, close relation to Chanel No5, whereas the empty vial has memories of a soft, gentle, powdery fruit and minimal aldehydes. Nice guys finish last.

Oh, Schilling, wonderful job! I love the musical analogy! Makes absolute perfect sense to me. I do tend to think in music, colors or fabrics in relation to perfumes (which is why I'm a terrible reviewer). Your thoughts on the vintage extrait are very interesting and fit right in with a conversation I was having with Whitefluffy just the other day. I think we both feel that modern No.5 is just easier for everyday wearing. But when I want to experience a true work of art, I'm happy to have some vintage stashed so I can do just that. My modern extrait didn't come from a Grand Extraits bottle (don't I wish!) but it's my understanding those giants are in fact filled with the exact same juice.

Thought you'd like Sensual Elixir! And speaking of Mr. Pitt, I'm reluctantly coming around to his ads. I still find them silly but I have word from local Chanel SAs that those spots are indeed having the intended effect of drawing in a new market. I'm told they've never had so many younger women asking to try No.5. Seems Chanel knew what they were doing all along! I guess they don't need my help.

And since you said it, I'll disclose my favorite No.5 now- EDT here, too! Yes, in modern version. Again, for the complete picture of this masterpiece, extrait is in order, preferably vintage. But EDT is the version I reach for more than any other. Such a beautifully easy to wear, light-hearted thing. Even the current still feels very 50's to me; this is by no means ruined by reformulation (yet). This is the version I've been backing up. I'm so happy you liked it, too!

Lol, I don't mean to pick on Eau Premiere, it really is lovely! A bit too sweet for me but not a thing wrong with it, it does belong in the No.5 family. It will never be a grand old-style aldehydic in my view, though it does certainly have aldehydes. But this is why I love Jacques Polge so much, I do believe he has No.5's best interest at heart. He's done a brilliant job of bringing new customers to the No.5 brand without dumbing it down. Eau Premiere is one fine piece of work from him. Even if I do think it's more fruity floral!

My goodness, I most certainly am NOT shaking my head wondering what to say, Schilling! I could keep typing, easily, if I didn't need to get moving! You've brought up so many excellent points; can't wait to read more!

Two last things then I'll shut up and go get dressed finally:
    1. I'm ashamed to admit that Marilyn kept me from No.5 for a long time. I do think she's a bit of why I had myself convinced this scent was not for me. Frankly, there's nothing cute about acting dumb to me and being a petite blond myself, I just did not want that association. Totally stupid of me, too. Missed out on what's turned out to be a favorite for wearing and it may well be the composition I admire most in all of perfumery. Was my loss all those years. But Marilyn is still not my kind of gal; that opinion remains unchanged.

2. I'm thrilled to hear No.22 won the cage match against Chant d'Aromes! Cd'A is very pretty but we still have Liu, which is a bit better aldehydic example anyway. Think I can beg a bit more Cd'A but it may not be right away, maybe I'll put it in the next round of aldehydics for those who won't have it this time. But we need that 22! And I'll be joining jujy with the screw cap vials from now on, I'm officially done with those dabber wands.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 13th February 2013 at 01:36 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Schilling, you were so worried about how you were going to do with this pass and sir you burst out of the gate!!! Great starting reviews! I enjoyed them tremendously!

southerngardens

Interesting, I find the parfum crisper and cleaner, especially up top, but it is true that it is richer than the other concentrations. As for the edt, I only wish it lasted longer on my skin. As perfumedlady was saying, the parfum isn't entirely out of reach, I think it comes to about $95 per 7.5ml and 180 for 15 ml or so.
    No 22 should be close to no 5, but very sweet in the drydown, which Chant d'aromes is definitely not.

cacio

PerfumedLady & Southerngardens, you're both very sweet. Thank you for the encouragement, but I may be wiping the smile of your face soon, as I'm testing Antilope right now. I know how some of this group are big fans, especially its source, Jujy. This little critter is a musky one, but I'll be patient.

PL, so happy to hear that I'm in good company with my admiration for the Chanel No5 EDT. I feel like I've passed a test!

Regarding the vials and tape: I received a bag of 1ml dabber top vials from FragranceAccessories and was so sad to see that even though the plastic dabber top was tough to uncork, it slid back in so loosely that I could actually see it rise back out the vial about 1mm after re-corking them. They'll only be usable in the upright position. The tape the PerfumedLady uses is my favorite. That spongey, salmon-colored stuff is secure, but easy to find and grab the end to remove, and doesn't leave behind any adhesive. Please share what it is and where it can be found. I've learned that the Micropore tape (Dupont? Semi-opaque, gray, perforated and easy to tear) begins to break down and leave goo when vial has any perfume residue. Atomizers w/caps or vials w/screw tops are also wise. An extra layer of protection and less evaporation. I'd rather wrap a cap to the vial than tape over the little hole. I prefer the coverage of an atomizer, but being surrounded by all of you vintage lovers, I can easily see why a nice glass stopper would be more appropriate for dispensing a precious fragrance in dwindling supply.

Coming soon: Antilope, Liu, and L'Interdit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Whew, I'm glad the Chanels & Amouage made the journey unscathed! Please please tell me that Jujy's Antilope is ok too. I don't want to be branded as a vintage destroyer!

Update: Genie is NOT a vintage destroyer.

- - - Updated - - -

Guerlain Liu (Reissue sample provided by Warum): Liu looks to have been created in 1929 by Jacques Guerlain, possibly as his familyís response to an increasingly popular Chanel upstart. One story says that it was commissioned by Rose Kennedy who disliked No5 because it was worn by one of her husbandís Hollywood gal pals. Maybe thereís some truth to it, as Guerlain dcíd it around the time of her death in 1995. It was reformulated ten years later by Jacquesí grandson, Jean Paul, but I donít see it on the Guerlain site anymore. Nordstom sold a Liu body powder version last year (a LimEd?). Vintage and reissue Liu is easily found on eBay, but priced in the hundreds. I really like the originalís Art Deco bottle with itís oddball and very modern ďLiUĒ font, whereas the reissue is in a beehive bottle.

I had to re-open the No5 EDP to double check why others were making a connection between this and the Chanel. Maybe it was more obvious with the vintage Liu. Thereís a similarity, but Liu opens significantly more green and citrusy. The aldehydes take a backseat to the fresh jasmine top & heart. Itís got a significantly shorter drydown of 3-4hrs, with no incense or animalics complicating the simple, powdery vanilla base. I could huff this off my arm all day and not get a Vintage Headache. Bonus: Iím beginning to ďgetĒ the Guerlinade as my brain taps into distant memories of Shalimar.

Weilís Antilope: (Originally formulated in 1946. Vintage EDT supplied from Jujy). The name must refer only to the sweet, fleet-footed creature being digested in the belly of this big, purring lionness. Itís darker, murkier and less floral than No.5 and Liu. Within an hour, the lemon, soapy aldehydes and Jujyís ďlotion-y floralĒ are overshadowed by the earthy musk of that lionness, along with oakmoss and vetiver. I would have thought that this was an EDP concentration, until it conked out at the 4hr mark. Lots of different bottles and reincarnations of this one on eBay for under $100.

Iíve fallen of my timeline and will have to double back to do Chanelís 22.
    Last edited by Schilling; 13th February 2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typos

That's just a variety of bandage tape, Schilling. Mine came from the first aid aisle at CVS but I've seen it in just about every drugstore. I can normally re-use it a few times (on the same vial, of course) so a bit of added value there. I've had fantastic reliability with it on glass vials. It's also ok for securing the caps of plastic atomizers for shipping but NOT for long term storage. I taped up my Malle Une Rose travel spray and MH Fleur Oriental splash bottle with it last spring for storage; when I removed it last fall, the plastic parts of the bottles were so gunky! Was able to make FO look like new again but not the Une Rose.

Re: atomizers- I do love the plastic snap-together 2.5 ml ones like I used for the No.5s, from AFF. I've also been increasingly using these as they are so secure and lots of people prefer to spray their samples anyway. It need not be filled up; I've even received some with only one or two sprays and was perfectly happy. My perfume obsession began before these were an option, all samples were dabbers back then! A wonderful perk of the modern age, these thingies.

I wish Warum did supply Liu, I had to buy that baby! But I have to say, I expected to pay more for that amount of juice. It was painless enough that I am considering visiting STC again for a larger amount for myself. Still beats the evil bay prices since I don't think I need a whole bottle. I do think it's different enough from No.5 to make some room for it! Am noting your bonus perfumista points for finding the Guerlainade; I'm quite familiar and found it very subtle myself. Indeed, it's there, and a big part of why it stands apart from No.5.

Great work again! You definitely "get" Antilope but it's acceptable to not like it! Sandalwood is what's making those florals "lotion-y". There's just no better way to describe it than jujy's term, is there? There is no obligation to like any of these and opposing views may be helpful to those following along. Go on with your honest self!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 13th February 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Where do you find this thin tape and what do they call it? I'm sorry, but I'm still confused.

southerngardens

Basenotes Institution

I just read the entire thread - and what fun to read all about the samples and you girls/guys have really done a wonderful job in your comments and descriptions/reviews. BIG thumbs up!

My personal experience with aldehydes has been very black and white. When I joined Basenotes I was very sure I hated aldehydic scents and powdery scents, so many of the Chanel's were a no-go for me. I mean just bringing the cap to my nose and the smallest hint of sparkly aldehyde was enough to turn me off. I researched which scents were being described as aldehydic by other BN members and I avoided these like the plague. Silly, but true.

Then, when I was thrift-store shopping in Puerto Rico (on summer vacation) I scored a tiny mini bottle of White Linen Parfum by Estee Lauder. I remember loving the smell of WL on my aunt, who wore Lauder scents and makeup for years. I always associated the scent with her: loving, generous, glamorous but in a very athletic-down-to-earth way. I got it for a steal ($2!) and when I got back home I decanted it into a plastic atomizer (yep, I get mine from Accessories for Fragrances also, the 2 and 2.5 ml plastic ones are the best) and I absolutely loved it. It just smelled so...CLEAN and like the air around me was vibrating slightly when I wore it. Of course I did what any Basenoter does when this happens - I jumped onto BN and started reading all kinds of threads on WL. And what did I quickly learn? ((cough, cough)). That WL is LOADED with aldehydes. I remember thinking, 'No way!!'. But, yes...I had to admit that I finally had fallen for an aldehyde-prominent fragrance. The nose doesn't lie, as they say.

After this, I started to become less judgmental about trying scents that were aldehydic and fast-forward to now, I have come to love and appreciate many aldehydic fragrances.

Some, that I would include in this list are:

2 Man by Comme des Garcons (campfire, white smoke, cedar - sort of like the smell of an extinguished candle)
    La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens (OMG, Root Beer Nirvana...one of the first aldehydic scents that I really fell in love with. Hard to describe because it's such a unique combination of the rich, woody soft myrrh and the razor sharp buttery aldehydes)
    Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons (forfreddie's correct - this alien-violet-hairspray-volcanic-rock smelling creation is genius)

From the scents that you are trying in the Sample Pass, I have a bottle of Chant d'Aromes 80's-era Eau de Toilette. I love it, but honestly I find I only wear it in hot Summer climates since it's incredibly refreshing in this environment. The peach note in it is slightly different than the one in Mitsouko (which I also love). The only other scent that I've smelled that has such a wonderful peach skin note is Un Matin d'Orage by Annick Goutal (which is more of a gardenia-scent, per se). The Guerlain is very sparkly and on my skin and what I really love is the base notes give off a whiff of iodine-rich vetiver. I have always wanted to own some vintage Chant d'Aromes extrait (the bottle is so pretty, isn't it?) I have heard it is even more vetiver prominent in the base notes. Still - this was one of the first scents that was aldehydic that I bought a full bottle of. So, of course, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

I also own some vintage No. 19 Eau de Cologne by Chanel, and I happen to find this aldehydic also - although, I don't think its classified as an aldehydic fragrance.

Same for Cinnabar by Estee Lauder - I think that one is rich with aldehydes, too much for me to actually enjoy. I started a thread about this, asking if people had smelled/worn Cinnabar parfum, which is much more limited and harder to find. Someone recommended I retry the re-issue 'new' version of JHL the Lauder masculine by Aramis (which I found super-boring when I tested it years ago) since it was less waxy/aldehydic. I haven't done this yet, but I will.

One more thing: I still have not sufficiently sampled/worn No. 5 by Chanel yet. I know, I know...what am I waiting for, you might ask? Well...I'm taking my time getting to the Mother Ship. Give me a couple more years - I'll get around to it. LOL. Seriously, when I wrote reviews for Perfume Shrine the woman who runs the blog (she's helg here on BN) sent me a blind decant as a 'thank you' and dared me to figure out what it was - it was vintage No. 5 Eau de Cologne, the one formulation that you didn't include in this sample pass. So, actually this is the ONLY version of No. 5 that I've given significant skin time to. And I must say, I disliked it when I wore it years ago. Didn't enjoy it AT ALL. Nonetheless, I'm dying to try vintage or new Parfum. I will one day.

You all have kept me smiling and giggling reading your comments, especially you Schilling you have a wonderful sense of humor. I look forward to reading more of your reviews/comments here on BN.

Oh and southerngardens, I am pretty sure this is the tape that Perfumed Lady and Schilling are talking about:

Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th February 2013 at 02:34 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

It's a type of medical bandage tape, southerngardens. The exact brand of this roll is 3m Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape. You can view it on the CVS website, in the first aid section. They have it at $5.49 for 5 yards. I'm sure most pharmacies carry something similar. Note that the width of the roll is one inch, much wider than needed to wrap a sample vial. I just cut into the roll lengthwise to make narrow strips, maybe an inch or so. That gives me a perfect amount to secure a sample and I get many uses from one roll this way. I just finished a roll bought last summer and I ship lots & lots of samples!

EDIT: Big thank you Mike! Yes, that's my tape! The exact one.

And thank you so much for popping in on us! I had no idea you had been aldehyde challenged! You have certainly overcome and I get how White Linen could work as a gateway. Your aunt sounds like she could have starred in the WL ads!

No experience here with vintage Chant d'Aromes but oh yes, that bottle! Guerlain had presentation perfected; love all those old ones. Each one so dramatic in its own way.

You bring up a point I've been mulling over about Chanel and Lauder. Even though both have scents in various fragrance families, pretty much all of their feminines contain a significant amount of aldehydes. It gave me much grief while putting this pass together! There were so many that straddled the line. No.19 and Cinnabar are excellent examples of this ambiguous type; I also thought of Private Collection. Ultimately, I decided to keep this pass strictly of the traditional style of aldehydics. But I think as we do more of these passes, we'll branch out and try some fragrances whose categories are a bit murkier.

You know, I love No.5 EDC! But it is pretty civet-heavy and not the easiest version to love, I understand! Honestly, Mike, go try modern EDT and EDP and maybe Eau Premiere. And certainly extrait though I'm not sure it will be your favorite. I could definitely see you finding the current 5s more wearable. When you're ready!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 14th February 2013 at 03:13 AM.

Oh, how funny Mikeperez, how funny indeed. It sounds like your adventures were very similar to my husband's. He HATED Chanel N 5, that is until he experienced vintage parfum. The compliments come tumbling down out of his mouth whenever I wear the vintage. He also hates aldehydes in Madame Rochas, so much in fact that I had to get rid of my bottle. We thought that he hates aldehydes, turns out...not so much. His most favorite perfume ever on me is EL Pleasures Intense and we both had NO IDEA it's heavy on aldehydes, that is until our dearest PerfumedLady enlightened us. My hubby also loves White Linen and bought me few bottles on his own accord. He also (turns out) loves Aldehyde 44 and offered to pay exuberant price so I would have it. But being a wife and not a girlfriend I have to think about family first. Now that we know for sure that he does not, in fact, hate aldehydes, we both much happier!
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 14th February 2013 at 03:15 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, PL, the other Lauder that's an aldehydic is Estee. Love that stuff. Turin was right about it when he said it was 'shrill' on top but I tend to like that about it. Bernard Chant, the perfumer, knows his stuff. I love Private Collection too, but I wear the parfum and that's not particularly aldehydic at all, whereas the EdT is just as fizzy as White Linen, isn't it?

I didn't know the No. 5 was civet prominent...interesting. Which is probably why, mixed with the aldehyde/powder effect, it turned me off (sort of like how Shalimar EdT does, whereas the EdC, EdP, PdT & perfume do not).

Whitefluffy - tell your husband he has good taste & recommend for him to try 2 Man I think he'll like it.

Maybe I'll wear my Iris Poudre sample tomorrow, that I have been neglecting for a while now. I wouldn't have guessed that it was an aldehydic fragrance, from my sampling it years ago, so now I'm intrigued.

-- Jack Kerouac

So pleased to see the Mike Perez name up here. It's like a celebrity sighting. Thanks for taking the time to provided great input, too. It's good to know that aldehyde lovers are made, not born. You (may) have given me the courage to give White Linen a second spritzing chance. Love the name, have not loved the fragrance.

The mother ship calls...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    So pleased to see the Mike Perez name up here. It's like a celebrity sighting. Thanks for taking the time to provided great input, too. It's good to know that aldehyde lovers are made, not born. You (may) have given me the courage to give White Linen a second spritzing chance. Love the name, have not loved the fragrance.

The mother ship calls...
    (giggle)

Try White Linen in parfum Schilling, it plays nicer.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love Private Collection too, but I wear the parfum and that's not particularly aldehydic at all, whereas the EdT is just as fizzy as White Linen, isn't it?
    Exactly, Mike! And I have a couple bottles of something called "Private Collection Perfume Cologne Spray"; the bottles look as if they were meant to be gifts with purchase (Lauder SAs used to just load customers down with freebies), maybe from the mid-80's. I think the aldehydes are a bit off but once it warms up, it lasts like an extrait on skin and sparkles right up to the end. But the parfum is my favorite concentration, so beautiful and yet a bit strange. I really love PC!

And Estee! Yes, went through a bottle years ago and loved that "shrill" opening too! I think I must include it and White Linen next time around.

I do think you're on to something re: civet + powder. It is a difficult combo and certainly not pleasant to everyone. You need not fear the snarling cat in the newer versions of 5, don't worry! That's hilarious, Schilling! I'm in that pic, you know. I'm the one beckoning Mike to get on board! Lol!

Whitefluffy, that is so funny! My first thought when reading Mike's post was, "Wow, he sounds a lot like Mr. WF!" Aldehydes are challenging and confusing. I suppose it's why they're also fascinating!

I only own the current Private collection (I believe it's an edp), and don't get much aldehydes from it. But then perhaps it's different aldehydes - apparently, there are types of aldehydes that smell quite unlike the usual ones a la Chanel no 5 (for instance, I think I read that CDG2 man is based on some aldehyde). White linen, instead, is an aldehydic bomb. So is the cheapie Lady Stetson.

As for civet, I fully concur with perfumedlady: the current no 5 has no civet whatsoever, only clean, luscious, sparkly soap. I didn't get too much civet from older ones I've smelled so far, though it is there. But nowhere near like things like My Sin or Joy.

cacio

I have some PC EDP, also, cacio and while mine is old (I'm thinking it's 1990's) it does lack the fizz of the lesser concentrations. But I love it, probably my next favorite after the parfum. You're right, different houses seemed to find ways to give their aldehydes distinct personalities and I'd bet it also has something to do with their various sources for aromachemicals. My mother was a White Shoulders gal (in its Evyan glory days) and its aldehydes were always so piercing, much more so than I find the Chanel or Lauder aldehydes. Haven't smelled it in ages; I suppose it's ruined as it relied on a lov note.

Oh, Lady Stetson, went through buckets of that! Wore it as a teen; even then it was cheap but also my most complimented scent. Sniffed it in Wal-Mart recently and barely recognized it. So sad, I miss the days of awesome drugstore scents. Or maybe I'm just romanticizing my "salad days"!

I have the current lady stetson, but have never smelled vintage. The current is still ok, if somewhat too pink. Sanchez's comparisons with No 22 are a bit overblown, especially up top. Still, quite good for the price (as the male one), and, as she said, definitely more relaxed than the sweet no 22.

cacio

I have to say, having worn LS for years-and lots of it (it was the age of perfume bombs after all!), TS' 22 comparison came out of left field for me. Lady Stetson was always very smooth, almost tea-like and VERY peachy (I think you nailed the change, it's now gone more pink) and not terribly sweet. 22 is very sweet to me. I'd have to do a side by side to see if I could find similarities. And I need to go back to Wal-Mart and spray that tester on skin, was already smelly the day I noticed it. If she was reviewing a current bottle, there may well be similarities I don't know about. Yes, LS was always very relaxed and casual and I loved the men's version, too!

But these aldehydes are kicking my butt.

Half way through this exercise, Iím reminded of the research that came out a few years ago showing that humans carry genes related to the tasting ability of bitter foods. Depending on how these genes are coded, you find broccoli and brussells sprouts either delightful or disgusting. Iím sensing that once the human genome has been throughly dissected, science will determine that an aldehyde gene exists, too.

[Mystery unlabeled vial] Chanel No22 vintage EDC?: Iíve had it on for about five hours and just barely escaped a good scrubbing. Screechier than No5. The aldehyde overload gripped my brain and only now can I approve its newly tamed drydown, an unimpressive incense and faded rose powder puff. Like an old bottle of hairspray from the back of your closet thatís grown harsher over time and likely to have a gummed up spritzer. Sadly, I didnít pick up any of Cacioís elegant iris.

And now for something completely different...or worse.

LíInterdit (Vintage Parfum): Cacio politely described it as, ďI wonder if...some material has turned.Ē. I'm just going to put it out there: I feel like Iíve got spiced cheese on my arm. Audrey Hepburn would not approve. I, too, agree that something may have happened to this sample. After several hours I pick up a deep, woodsy amber punctuated by cloves, and Iím reminded of a cup of Constant Comment tea with curdled milk. Gene Jeanie, were you able to compare this sample with your own bottle? I'm curious to hear what sjg thinks next week.

LíInterdit 2003: Something easy and thin, just what the doctor ordered. Even though the previous Parfum sample seemed off, I can see that the two Interdits share no DNA and must have upset all of its long time fans. This is an aqueous fruity-floral. Loads of melon, peach, violet, hyacinth, no aldehydes. No fantastic voyage, but a nice diversion from the previous upper cuts.

Coming soon: Lancome Climat, Rive Gauche, Knize Two and Caron Nocturnes

Poor girl! You are allowed to scrub if necessary; no one needs to suffer! I adore 22 but I have to admit it does sound like it's what's kicking your butt. Your description of the top and drydown sound accurate, particularly rose & incense. Could you re-label it before sending? It need not be anything fancy if you don't have labels handy, taped on paper should do.

I'm getting awfully confused about L'Interdit! I'm not sure if GenieJeanie's bottle is the re-issue or not. I have a bit of it, too and I was thinking it was vintage EDT, if a bit newer than the parfum sample. My experience with both versions mirror Genie's, so I won't bother re-wording it all here but she and cacio both mentioned the paper-y vibe in the parfum. I did get that though I wouldn't say anything seemed too "off" to me. I think you and cacio are picking up whatever that is more clearly than Genie and I. The parfum sample was purchased just prior to this pass and opened only once here; if it has gone off I'd say it must be the entire bottle. I don't know, I think we need Genie's help! I do know I enjoy her sample much more than the parfum; it has the angles and bone structure I found lacking in the parfum. And I do get aldehydes in her sample but very delicate and smooth. The fruits are also very, very pretty in this EDT. Like this one a lot, where parfum was bit "meh" for me.

Oh, goodness, I love broccoli and hate brussel sprouts, wth does that mean? I have split DNA coding?! Oh, great. That's probably not good, lol!