Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Sample Pass: Aldehydics

Is No. 22 the one with the nail varnish note?

I'm wearing No. 19 vintage EdC this afternoon (I went to the gym for lunch so I spritzed some on after a shower - aldehydes-a-go-go!!) and I'm once again reminded how I have done a complete 180 on that signature Chanel-aldehyde-iris thing that so many of their scents feature. Before, it really annoyed me. And now, I really like it. I love it when that happens.

Coincidence: I have a tiny bottle (somewhere...I'd have to find it...) of vintage Lady Stetson. I've only smelled it once (prompted by Tania Sanchez's review) and I liked it. If I can find it, I'll save it and send it to you gals for the next Sample Pass. An old friend gave it to me (a woman in her 90's) when she found out I was into fragrances.

Schilling - your aldehyde genes sound a bit...raw. Don't break your nose darling.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good going Schilling! Don't let those Aldehydes get you down in the nose! You are doing a fantastic job and I am enjoying reading your impressions a lot. I have not sniffed No.22, but I understand it's a aldehyde bomb and very sweet as well. That mix can strain your olfactory senses. Keep up the great work!

Southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

queen of the universe

Schilling, I am enjoying your observations. Something else I get from the great aldehydes is an abstracted anise/tarragon note.

Re: Antilope, it has a little bit of everything. It's even been called a "floral woody aldehydic chypre". I've never thought of it as dark, though I've also noted that it has no"edges". I experience it as a "round" fragrance, Magie Noire being another round one in my olfactive vocabulary.

Speaking of aldehydes, I just got some vintage Caron Infini on ebay. It's one of the those great big, tuberose/aldehyde/vetiver monsters, I love it! It seems to share more than a little with Guerlain Chamade. It belongs to that treasured part of my collection that includes vintage Miss Dior, Ma Griffe, Aprpège, and, yes, Antilope. They are all vintage, "dames of a certain age", with a scent past recapturing. I really have no modern scent that gets to me in the same way.

I'm a Chanel latecomer
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

jujy, I have been looking at Infini and wondering about it. You have confirmed that it is another I must "try and buy" . Especially if it shares a space with Chamade, Ma Griffe and Miss Dior.I have not tried Chamade or Miss Dior, but they have been associated to Arpege and Ma Griffe which I have "tried and bought" and can wear well! Thanks for sharing, now to find some samples!

Mike, I've never noticed a nail varnish note in 22 but then, I just might if I go sniffing for it. I'll wear it again soon and see if I notice. It makes sense to me that it could be the one you're thinking of as 22 is as loaded with aldehydes as they come. And I'd be so honored to use your LS next pass! No hurry on that, think we'll wait until late summer/early fall for the next one. I think this bunch may want a break from fizzy bombs after this! Now, I'm itching to grab a current LS from Wal-Mart so we can do a comparison with your vintage!

jujy, I'm just dying to see how you'll get along with Chanel! I think you'll at least like, if not love, some of the No.5s. But the ones I'd really recommend you to try most would be Cuir de Russie, Bois des Isles and the greens. All the greens, too-No.19, Bel Respiro and Cristalle (EDT, EDP & Eau Verte). I'll send some Cristalle EDT for you, I'm working on ideas to keep you busy this summer! Will be the perfect time to try that one!

Had to laugh, I just tried Infini myself and indeed thought of you, j.! Completely agree with the Chamade association, exactly what I thought of, too. Minus Guerlainade, of course!
    The nose wants what it wants!

queen of the universe

Ah, so I am type cast! S'OK, Sarrasins aside, it is amazing how the old-school aldehydes get to me; it could be how they evoke childhood scent memories. When the Chanels show up, I'll be able to see how old/new school aldehydes compare.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by

[B
    jujy[/B], I'm just dying to see how you'll get along with Chanel! I think you'll at least like, if not love, some of the No.5s. But the ones I'd really recommend you to try most would be Cuir de Russie, Bois des Isles and the greens. All the greens, too-No.19, Bel Respiro and Cristalle (EDT, EDP & Eau Verte). I'll send some Cristalle EDT for you, I'm working on ideas to keep you busy this summer! Will be the perfect time to try that one!

Had to laugh, I just tried Infini myself and indeed thought of you, j.! Completely agree with the Chamade association, exactly what I thought of, too. Minus Guerlainade, of course!
    JUJY you are just gonna love the Chanels. When I first came on board some nice BNers sent me Bois De Ilse, Cuir de Russie and No.19 and it was love at first sniff for those. I have made no 19 a big part of my collectiom because it's so wearable for me for so many occasions and have not bought Bois de Iles or Cuir de Russie yet, I bought Cristalle edt and edp, but just didn't like them,so, I sold them to another Bner who loves Cristalle. Your really in for a treat!
    Last edited by southerngardens; 15th February 2013 at 08:07 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Schilling, what you do think about the ELDO scent, have you tested it yet?

southerngardens, I couldn't enjoy Cristalle either. There is something in it that rubbed me the wrong way. But both No. 19 and Bois de Iles totally clicked with me when I first tested them. Well, that's not true - Bois de Iles was very aldehydic and this was when I was a bit sensitive to aldehydes, so I remember making a face as soon as I applied that one, but the sandalwood dry down is so seductive. And then I came to enjoy that fizzy, gingerbread-esque aldehyde top note so now I am a fan. I have never smelled BdI parfum, I would love to. I'm assuming, southerngardens, you also enjoy Egoiste the 'brother' of BdI (and even more sandalwood prominent)?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Schilling, what you do think about the ELDO scent, have you tested it yet?

southerngardens, I couldn't enjoy Cristalle either. There is something in it that rubbed me the wrong way. But both No. 19 and Bois de Iles totally clicked with me when I first tested them. Well, that's not true - Bois de Iles was very aldehydic and this was when I was a bit sensitive to aldehydes, so I remember making a face as soon as I applied that one, but the sandalwood dry down is so seductive. And then I came to enjoy that fizzy, gingerbread-esque aldehyde top note so now I am a fan. I have never smelled BdI parfum, I would love to. I'm assuming, southerngardens, you also enjoy Egoiste the 'brother' of BdI (and even more sandalwood prominent)?
    Mike, I'm glad I am not the only one that didn't cotton to Cristalle. I couldn't get used to the citrus it gave off. I like my citrus to have a kick to it and Cristalle just seemed to lay there, deflated.
    From what I have read, I think I would like Egoiste, but surprise, I have not sampled that one yet. However, if it shares lineage with BDI and more sandalwood then it would surely have my vote!

[/B]Mike[/B] was right. I was a bit raw (and cranky), but am back with a vengeance and renewed enthusiasm. I’m so pleased to have returned to this gentle bunch, less boosted by aldehydes than all of the previous samples. Unfortunately, I’m with my sweetie and have once again successfully shut down his nose after thrusting my arm underneath it today, one too many times. I’ll type quickly while he sniffles and shoots me accusatory glances.

Lancome Climat (Originally issued 1967). Sample from the “La Collection” reissue/reformulation of 2005. Opens with a bright herbal green (no animalics for me) and distant white florals. The fizzy soap paves the way for a darker forest of vetiver, oakmoss and sudsy musk.

YSL Rive Gauche (1969 by Chanel’s Jacques Polges. Overhauled in 2003 by Givaudan’s Daniela Andrier and Jacques Hy). I don’t find this nearly as coarse as PL and Genie Jeanie do, but it has been hard to push past the “rose scented bathroom spray” description. I enjoyed the odd birch tar opening, which is chased by a wave of soaped roses that are quite of bit of sweeter and more comforting than several of the Cruella DeVille Chanel bouquets. Anchored by a distant vetiver and oakmoss, in a small enough dose that I can tolerate

Knize Two (1978). I associate fragrances from the 70’s with big, uninhibited fragrances, so I was really surprised to wear this perfectly demure unisex. Opened as Aldehyde Lite and finished as Leather Lite. Top notes were of an enormous melon that remained long after the unsweetened violets and iris took over. No tea notes for me. Dried down like Leather Lite. Short half-life, so I was surprised to see the $70/50ml price tag. On backorder from LuckyScent with a few bottles floating around Amazon.

Caron Nocturnes EDT. (1981 by Roger Pelligrino). If Knize Two was light on the aldehydes, Nocturnes was lightest. Almost a straight forward, delicate lily-based floral and soft ambered vanilla base. No tuberose, and nothing sexy for me, but safe and inoffensive, so you could include me in this Miss Texas lineup. Easy to find on-line for about $50/100ml.

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Iris Poudre (2000 by Pierre Bourdon). Spotlight on the iris. Spiced fruit, coconut, vanilla and sandalwood.

EL Pleasures Intense (2002). Without the indoles, this is like a Datura Noir for the masses. A surprisingly nice offering from a company that rarely pans out for me. When I want to wear something ultra feminine and floral.

Next up: Divine L’Ame Soeur, Aldehyde 44, Amouage Gold, Sex Pistols and ForFreddy's fabulous Miriam. I'll try to sneak in a few when Bob isn't looking.
    Last edited by Schilling; 17th February 2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typo

Hi all! Sorry for my absence here, but I'm recovering from a bit of surgery & zonked out most of the day. I do try to read up on the progress, but am a little too wonky to post much.

Schilling, you are doing such an incredible overview of the scents. Bravo!! Didn't you say you were going to "try to muddle through" them?? Ha!
    Note to self - take muddling lessons before reviewing any more scents!

Time for more meds & back off to lala land. Back with you guys soon........

Basenotes Institution

It sounds like Nocturnes is the least aldehydic of the bunch - would everyone agree?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It sounds like Nocturnes is the least aldehydic of the bunch - would everyone agree?
    Agreed.

I don't agree. I can pick up aldehydes, I think they are quite prominent. But to be fair, they are rather soft and in possession of very good manners. I think ladies from Texas might not appreciate the reserved demeanor of this rather quiet composition.

queen of the universe

Yeah, Nocturnes is the least aldehydic, but, Schilling, Miss Texas? Really. That was cold! Witty, but cold. I will have to revisit my mini of same.

I've been wearing my one Chanel N° 5, a mini EdP of unknown vintage, for the last 2 days as a warm-up to the sample pass. Compared to my other aldehyde faves like Miss Dior and Infini, N° 5 is far more polite. No cumin at the opening, and less growly in the drydown. She's the mother fragrance who birthed some bad girls, thank goodness!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Schilling, I LOVED the Miss Texas Comment. I was ROFL! You have done just what I plan to do and that is to write your impressions of the frags in your own way and have done a smashing job at it as well! I am counting on you to give me moral support when my time comes if you will?

Your Friend

southerngardens

Hello, lovelies! I haven't abandoned you! Been in bed with a virus all weekend but I've been peeking in on you all from my Kindle. All sorts of interesting posts! Will comment more when I'm at the computer.

I do want to report that the L'Interdit EDT from Genie is in fact the re-issue. I think I'm about to be kicked out of the vintage club as I do like Genie's sample better! Feel better, Genie and take your time in getting your rest. This monster pass will still be going when you've fully recovered!

Divine L’Ame Soeur (2004) An option for someone who really wants to enjoy Chanel No5, but just isn’t in the right frame of mind yet for her icy affection. We’ve got the initial burst of sharp, yet manageable aldehydes followed by a similar jasmine/rose blend, but this one has a big heart of clover honey-drizzled fruit. Crossover appeal for gourmands seeking to shake up their wardrobe. Pleasant powdered drydown.

Le Labo Aldehyde 44 (2006). [Created by L’Ame Soeur’s (and Trump’s Success) Yann Vasnier.] The name throws you off its scent, so was it’s choice of City Exclusive. This is a gentle, subtle woodsy musk that a big money, Dallas deb might overlook as it sits quietly in the corner at this Aldehyde party. Very likable, but it came with a small unfortunate olfactory memory: 1986. The high school locker room. Shower-to-Shower powder. Remember its jingle? “Shower to shower each da-ay, helps keep odor awa-ay. Have you had your sprinkle todaay?” Sure enough, it’s still sold and their website reveals their Classic scent formula, “chamomile, rose, jasmine and sandalwood”.

Amouage Gold (2009) by Guy Robert. This is potion, not perfume and it dwarfs No5’s EDP. Cacio was right in saying that it’s so rich, it’s oily. I’m four hours into it and am still drowning in one heady little dab. A non-stop bubbling champagne fountain, dense narcotic flowers, sweet incense, and a lovely cedar base. A little animalic without getting dirty.

Tableau de Parfums Miriam EDP (2011). Perfumed Lady’s Incensee Rose sample is circling back to me next week, so I’m looking forward to doing a repeat sniff to try to acquaint myself with this “Tauerade” base that everyone talks about. A lovely opening, made unique by a pine note that no one else mentions. To me, a sweet and unimpressive tonka and sandalwood finish.

Next up and last up: Etat Libre d’Orange Sex Pistols (2010). I’m so leery of this. Even as a kid, I thought Johnny Lydon was a big jerk. If he had a hand in this, I’m sure it includes his big, fat, overused middle finger to all the wankers who have paid his way in life. Please let me not love it.

Southerngardens, you're very sweet, but sadly the snarky Miss TX comment wasn't mine, but lifted from Cacio quoting Luca Turin. But I'm glad that you enjoyed it, as mine, for a brief 48hrs. You can count on my moral and non-plagiarized support.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    Next up and last up: Etat Libre d’Orange Sex Pistols (2010). I’m so leery of this. Even as a kid, I thought Johnny Lydon was a big jerk. If he had a hand in this, I’m sure it includes his big, fat, overused middle finger to all the wankers who have paid his way in life. Please let me not love it.
    (giggle)

Shower To Shower 44 (which I've never smelled) sounds like something I would detest. Thanks for the warning.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thumbs up Re: Sample Pass: Aldehydics

Unfortunately, along with perfumer Mathilde Bijaoui of Mane, this man played a role in my last sample, Etat Libre d’Orange’s 2010 ‘Sex Pistols’. [Renamed last year as 'Malaise of the 1970s', conspicuously without mention of its former christening on the ELOS site.].
    DOUBLY unfortunate is that I enjoyed this sample. A lot. It was not obnoxious, clashy, revolutionary or how I imagine anarchy to smell, unless lawless disorder opens as an overly-peppered Bloody Mary in the first 15 minutes, followed by a faint kid glove, a powdery patchouli and vanilla ambergris that carry you for the next three-four hours. Fragrantica disagrees with me and senses “An unruly turbulence caused by prune...”. LOL. Sadly, it lasted about as long as Sid Vicious did.

After 20 samples, I thought I could finally ID an aldehyde and then you throw in this red herring in. I would have called it an Oriental. I wouldn't have predicted it, but it was a great one to end on.

My Top Ten in descending order:
    L'Ame Soeur
    Knize Two
    Sex Pistols
    Aldehyde 44
    Pleasures Intense
    Nocturnes
    Iris Poudre
    No5 EDT or Elixir
    Liu
    Miriam

I'm so glad that I seized this opportunity by the beard! This sampling has been a lot of fun and thank you for your comments and encouragement. Big thanks to Perfumed Lady for putting together a phenomenal representation for me to have fun with and learn from.

queen of the universe

Schilling, it's been a delight to read your observations day by day.

Basenotes Institution

Wow, the reviews of the Sex Pistols one are all so different - it's quite a shape-shifter of a fragrance on people's skin is my guess.

The only ELDO scent I found bottle worthy as of now is Noel au Balcon (which I happen to have in my gym bag today, I'll wear it after the gym today). I also really, really, really like Rossy de Palma. But the others just mildly interest, bore me or repel me (Secretions Magnifiques). That Tilda Swinton one, I just wish I got what everyone else is smelling - on me it smells like pie crust and musk.

-- Eckhart Tolle

My goodness, what a thing to wake up to! Hilarious pic, Schilling-and I see you used the most flattering photo of Mr. Rotten you could find! No, they were not nice guys but I do admit to having a fondness for that era. I can't believe Sex Pistols made it into your top three! I really love it, too. Agree with Mike, Rossy de Palma is wonderful and SM is utterly sickening. Could not wait to get that thing out of my house!

Schilling, you have really wowed me. I knew you were a great sniffer and writer but my socks are knocked off by your posts! I'm so happy other BNers have had the chance to get to know your nose and especially your personality. You're going to make lots of great friends here. I know you were nervous but you didn't let me down one little bit! Very proud of you and you should be, too! I've had a blast reading your thoughts, thank you so much for joining us. Now that you've done a big scary pass, you're going to feel much more confident. Again, it thrills me to hear you recognize aldehydes! All I wanted from this pass was to give some beloved BNers more confidence in their noses. I believe we're achieving that! I appreciate your efforts so much, my dear!

Mike, I'm wearing a bit of 22 today and guess what? Yep, it seemed a bit nail polish-y to me at the opening. Not something I'd have picked out on my own but I do believe this is the one you were thinking of!

I've been thinking about the Nocturnes discussion you all had, will give that another wear tomorrow. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking I'd put it in the middle range in relation to this particular grouping. Certainly not the sparkle bomb that 22 is but more aldehydic than say, the No.5 Elixir or Eau Premiere. I'll know what I think better after re-visiting Nocturnes.

The babies are snug in their beds again and will be shipped off tomorrow, Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to hear who earns your love, sjg!

Perfumed Lady, that WAS the best pic I could find of Lydon. I was hoping to, but was unsuccessful at finding one with his new teeth.

I'm not sure how he holds his cigarette nowadays.

Jujy and PL, thank you again for the kind words. We'll have to do this again!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    ...Mike, I'm wearing a bit of 22 today and guess what? Yep, it seemed a bit nail polish-y to me at the opening. Not something I'd have picked out on my own but I do believe this is the one you were thinking of!...
    I remember one time Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez did a radio show, I'm thinking it was NPR or maybe it was BBC but the show was simulcast on the 'net and it was around the time that The Guide came out, so I made sure I was logged in to listen to it (I remember it was the middle of the day so I was streaming it at my desk at work) and after the radio announcer interviewed them, he asked people to call in with questions. This woman asked Tania about a Chanel that she was having a hard time finding a replacement bottle for her Mom and I'm pretty sure it was No. 22 if my memory serves me correctly. Tania told the woman caller that she thought it smelled a bit like nail varnish and the woman caller totally agreed with her and laughed, sort of admitting that this was the part of the scent she was ashamed to admit she enjoyed the most. It was so sweet - like this woman finally had someone else in the universe who 'got' why she liked a scent. I will never forget it and I always told myself that I wanted to smell that Chanel. I have never smelled No. 22. Turin/Sanchez give it 4 stars in The Guide and their review makes me giggle:

No. 22 is above all an exercise in heavy lifting. Aldehydes are said to give "lift" to a fragrance, meaning they offset the sweetness and heaviness of whatever else is in there. Like its Antonov namesake, Chanel's 22 goes for the maximum-payload record as follows: (1) Determine the largest dose of aldehydes a human can stand without fainting. (2) Load it up with as much sweetness as the aldehydes can bear. (3) Round it off with a note of iris to make it look easy. (4) Stand back and watch the whole thing lumber off into the sky after a three-mile takeoff roll.
    Gosh, now I want to smell it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh, that's one of my favorite reviews in The Guide! Sometimes I agree with LT/TS, sometimes not- but I can fully support that review. Sure wish I'd heard the radio show, sounds very interesting. How fun would it be to call in and talk with them?!

After paying attention, I can totally see the nail varnish association. Seemed most pronounced at the opening but I did get whiffs off that note throughout the day. Like the caller in the radio show, I enjoy it, too!

I wish I had a bit more 22, Mike, I'd mail it to you today if I had enough to bother! The current Exclusifs version will do if you're near a boutique; it's been tweaked but it's still recognizable and still beautiful. I wouldn't turn away current or vintage 22!

Yes, Schilling, we must do this again! I hope we get to participate in lots more passes together!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 20th February 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I smelled No. 19 (vintage Eau de Cologne) yesterday and it too, IMO, also has a nail varnish note.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have a bit of vintage 19 parfum here and I had to re-visit it yesterday after Mike got me thinking about this nail polish vibe. I did pick it up on application but it was gone within seconds. To me, the heart and drydown in my sample is a perfectly manicured English garden in the countryside, with one of Coco's ciggies smoldering nearby. Very clear florals. With 22 EDC, I found the nail varnish to be woven through the entire development. Also have some No.5 EDC that I can now pick out nail varnish from in the opening and well into the heart. I'm glad you shared that anecdote, Mike; it's so refreshing to notice something new in scents I thought I knew well! I do have some current No.19 EDT, now I must find out if there's a nail salon in there as well. And yes, I do enjoy this note! As a cosmetologist, these cosmetic-y smells were my bread and butter. Will always have a soft spot for those weird but good smells.

I must regretfully inform you all that Southerngardens will not be able to join us after all. I will miss his input. But it does mean that there will be much more than just leftovers for jujy. Since we were cutting it a bit close on juice, I won't bother adding another member. Sjg3839, please note that you will now be mailing to jujy54!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 24th February 2013 at 07:14 PM.

queen of the universe

ooh-ooh! Cannot wait!

They're on the way, jujy! I can't wait for you to get these, either! So excited to see what you'll think! Have been wanting to share my No.5s with you ever since sampling your Antilope. Hope you have fun with these!

Basenotes Institution

I have a bit of vintage 19 parfum here and I had to re-visit it yesterday after Mike got me thinking about this nail polish vibe. I did pick it up on application but it was gone within seconds. To me, the heart and drydown in my sample is a perfectly manicured English garden in the countryside, with one of Coco's ciggies smoldering nearby. Very clear florals. With 22 EDC, I found the nail varnish to be woven through the entire development. Also have some No.5 EDC that I can now pick out nail varnish from in the opening and well into the heart. I'm glad you shared that anecdote, Mike; it's so refreshing to notice something new in scents I thought I knew well! I do have some current No.19 EDT, now I must find out if there's a nail salon in there as well. And yes, I do enjoy this note! As a cosmetologist, these cosmetic-y smells were my bread and butter. Will always have a soft spot for those weird but good smells.
    It seems we are not alone, with these associations PerfumedLady. In Perfumes: The Guide, Tania Sanchez describes it as ‘a striking and admirably dissonant portrait' , ‘from the silvery hiss of its nail-polish-remover beginnings to its poisonously beautiful green-floral heart’.

I would think the current EdT that you have, has even more of this note, than our vintage juice (and your parfum even less). Does it?

The EdP (new, not vintage) has been on my To Test list forever. Old BN member scentemental talked so fondly of it, especially for men. He said it was one of the best vetiver prominent scents on the market, since the 'new' EdP has a stronger vetiver note than all of the other formulations.

-- Eckhart Tolle

queen of the universe

Aldehydes and ketones, one of which is acetone, are chemical relatives, so this is not too surprising.

Bingo, jujy! Was just about to mention the chemical connection but you beat me to it! Yes, was thinking about acetone last night, which would explain TS' polish remover reference for 19; many removers contain acetone. Full strength acetone is used to remove artificial nails. Now it makes perfect sense why some of us see these Chanels as nail salon-ish. Also interesting, since we're discussing aldehydes-formaldehyde is a typical component of nail polish. But formaldehyde is not the same as fragrance aldehydes, just a neat little coincidence in name. I do also get a polish-like note in some of these Chanels, though. However, I do NOT mean to imply there's a formaldehyde note in any Chanels! There isn't. That would be yucky.

Mike, yes you are right about my 19 EDT! The nail salon is much more pronounced than in parfum. I have yet to try EDP myself. Am really digging this little exploration! It makes sense to me as Chanel perfumes have always been about artifice and abstraction. Remember, No.5 was meant to smell of woman, not of flowers or courtesan's boudoirs. Most feminine Chanels have something soapy, powdery, make-upy or varnish-like about them. Always a nod to all the things we do to primp and pretty ourselves up. I've learned a tremendous amount about why this line speaks to me so much through this conversation. Thank you so much for opening my eyes to this, Mike!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 28th February 2013 at 02:57 PM.

queen of the universe

Ils sont arrivés! Ils sont arrivés! I am remembering my high school French!

So beautifully packed, too. So, where to start? Chanels—first or last? That's the big question. Chronological order? Group by similarity, as in floral aldehydes, civety aldehydes? I think I will first look and list. Any suggestions on how best to take this marvelous tour are most welcome.

Yay! The samples have reached their final destination-success!

I have thought about how I'd tackle this group. If it were me, I'd sample in three groups. One would be classics, two would be modern/niche and the Chanels would get the third group all to themselves. I do recommend sampling the various No.5s close to the same time as 22. Both were part of the original set of samples presented by Ernest Beaux to Coco Chanel. These two are variants on the same scent. Apparently, as close as science can tell, the aldehydics Beaux made for Chanel were based on an earlier creation of his: Bouquet de Catherine, aka Rallet No.1.

You'll grasp these no matter how you choose to go about it, jujy! Your nose definitely has the experience to handle this group. I think a few will be right up your alley! Enjoy-and relax and take your time! These babies are yours now, no need to rush yourself!

Jujy, Isn't it crazy?? I scattered them all over the table and sat there scratching my head for about half an hour.

Along the lines of PerfumedLady's suggestion, I chose the Chanel No5s on their own, and then chronological order to see how history, copy-catting and the fashion of the times had an impact. You can backtrack to my entries and see the dates next to each sample. I got off track a couple of times. Must have been the fumes.

If your memory is anything like mine, mark your arm w/that fragrance's initials in pen. I stopped trusting my memory early on. The Chanels will trip you up.

Have fun!

queen of the universe

So, Schilling, are you responsible for the kiddie band-aid seals on the vials? I love it.

So far, I started with the N° 5 EdT as a baseline and will revisit it when I do the Chanels. Other than that it's been willy nilly. I do write down location and impressions. This much I know, I am a hound for old-school civet-laden aldehydes, clean meets dirty-aah! The only modern that comes close is the 2003 sample is Interdit. If anything screams Miss Texas, it's Le Labo Aldehyde 44—it was released in Dallas and has matchy-matchy written all over it, at least that's what the gals from Houston might say, if I knew any (;

More in more detail later?

Jujy, Are you sure that you were sniffing the new L'Interdit? I thought the new one was one of the cleanest and least aldehydic in the whole bunch, completely unrelated to the vintage L'Interdit? I'm pretty spineless when it comes to the dirty animalics and I thought that the vintage vial had some major funk, so much that I wondered if it had gone off.

Until I find PerfumedLadys Nextcare bandages (which are perfect--secure and non-gummy), those baby bandaids are the next best thing. Did I use Curious George or the Hulk?

queen of the universe

Oh, I will have to recheck. There are two Interdits?

I see a Shrek bandaid and one that looks like part of Clifford the Big Red Dog, so I'm guessing variety pack. So you bought baby bandaids just for scent swapping or do you keep a supply in case of owies?

Haha! I just love the thought of these big, glamorous scents all wrapped up in cartoon characters! So funny! Schilling, I've just been to a CVS pharmacy and saw they carry the roll of Nexcare bandage tape, as does Walgreen's. Not hard to find but a bit overpriced at almost 6 bucks a roll. Still worth it for our sample securing purposes. But for first-aid, I'll always take the cheaper options.

Yep, two L'Interdits, jujy! The Surrender to Chance sample is the vintage parfum. The other is the 2003 reissue. However, these two have only the name in common, entirely different scents.

Honestly, if I had to choose a scent for the Miss Texas pageant contestants, I'd give them Rive Gauche. That thing is every bit as obnoxious as beauty pageants and their contestants. I should note, as a child, I did participate in a pageant. So I know how annoyingly nerve-grating the whole mess can be. I won- but I didn't like it one little bit! That memory and RG get no love from me!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 4th March 2013 at 05:47 PM.

Is this Little Miss Perfumed Lady 1980?

What a great tid bit about you! We should see the photographic proof, though.

Jujy, those little Band-aids come to the hospital where I work, but since we can't use any that contain latex, lots of cute ones get yanked out and wrapped around perfume samples. Until I pick up some of that Nextcare, which was made for Sample Passes. How's your nose doing?

Basenotes Institution

(giggle) - Schilling, you are a TRIP!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Basenotes temporary forum here (you have to create a name and password to post):

http://basenotes.activeboard.com/

queen of the universe

Yikes Schilling! Now I know where fembots come from!

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes Schilling! Now I know where fembots come from!

Hahahaha! Yes, fembots come from Indiana! What a beautiful child but a creepy pic! No, that is not me- she's way too advanced for a 1980 contestant. We weren't doing the spray tan and highlights just yet back then! Most definitely no eyeliner; I'd remember being allowed to wear that (I loooove my eyeliner!). Schilling, you are really asking me to throw vanity out the window, aren't you? If I can find a pic, I'll post it! May take awhile, though; my house is a shambles as we've moved into the interior stage of our re-model. Right now, I'm lucky to find a clean coffee cup in the morning! But if I don't have a pic, there must be one at my dad's.

I do hope we haven't offended any Texans with our pageant comments; I know for certain no one here means to pick on Texas! For those who may not know, we're referring to a review of Caron Nocturnes written by Luca Turin in The Guide. He used the Miss Texas pageant as a metaphor for a bland, homogenized type of beauty. Turin is known for his somewhat snarky humor but I think he meant no offense, either- more likely he was simply trying to be humorous and entertaining, which his writing definitely is. I will post the review in its entirety soon as I realize not everyone has read the book and it is an interesting review, though I disagree with it. Just really wanted to say please don't be angry with us Texas! I love all of our great states and would never mean to pick on anyone!

30R, thank you so much for the link! I'm having trouble over there; I did create an account some time ago with the same info I used for my account here. But now it won't let me log in! It's always something, I'll get it figured out!

Blog Entries

30R, thank you so much for the link! I'm having trouble over there; I did create an account some time ago with the same info I used for my account here. But now it won't let me log in! It's always something, I'll get it figured out!
    Try clicking on "Lost account info?" I think you will get an email with your username and password. Is it possible you used a slightly different password (or misspelled your usual name/password, which is the same thing) when you first signed up on the temporary forum?

That's a real possibilty, 30R! I tried once to have the info sent to me but it wouldn't go through. If I recall though, I was on my Kindle at the time, may have something to do with that. Will try again from the laptop. I did use my same username but I could have easily messed up my password. I do a couple times a week just logging in here! My greatest typing skill is making typos.

queen of the universe

OK, back to the samples. And back to moi!

Schilling notes:
    Jujy, Are you sure that you were sniffing the new L'Interdit? I thought the new one was one of the cleanest and least aldehydic in the whole bunch, completely unrelated to the vintage L'Interdit? I'm pretty spineless when it comes to the dirty animalics and I thought that the vintage vial had some major funk, so much that I wondered if it had gone off.
    Yes, indeed, there are two L'interdit samples, vintage and 2003, and, yes, it was the vintage I sampled, and yes, it is the soapy/dirty/floral-meets-animal civet-laden aldehydic experience I crave. Is this truly past recapturing? Is it a change in ingredients, in tastes, or both?

I plan to get into bed with the Chanels this weekend and see what kind of a history lesson that will prove to be.

fwiw, I think the picture of the kid is photo-chopped beyond recognition, almost to the Uncanny Valley.

- - - Updated - - -

All right then, here's the N° 5 Report:

Well, quelle f'n surprise, I loved the vintage 1950s extrait and found the others, while charming, not nearly as distinguishable form one another as they were as a group from the grand dame I favor.

March 9th, just after midnight: I dived in at the start with the two extraits, 1950s and the newer, albeit undated. To my left was the vintage, to my right, the newer, in each case I daubed onto wrist forearm and crook of arm. This from my written notes:
    "Both are iconic and hard to subdivide into notes. 1950s has that dirt I crave. Current version is soapier with more sandalwood. Vintage has heliotropin.

...a few minutes later:
    I reapply more lavishliy. Current version has something lilac-ish on 1st sniff and more muguet than vintage. Vintage has civet, heliotrope, anisic aldehydes and, yes, civet."
    (redundancy as written, not without reason!)

So, this is Chanel. It is like Mozart; who doesn't love Mozart, recognize his work as singular, and yet I leave the house for Mahler, but not necessarily poor little Wolfgang A (fwiw, Mahler's last word was purported to be "Mozart.") I like my aldehydes even dirtier than vintage Chanel, and this the L'Interdit is still my favorite in the sample, an equal to Infini, Miss Dior, and Arpège, the last of which I consider closest to N° 5.

Later that afternoon: I decide to sniff all 6 on cotton balls in Ziploc® bags and write quick, spontaneous impressions. Here they are on the order sampled:
    •Eau Premiere—Pepper and rose*
    *later note: pepper herb green spring printemps premiere!
    •EDT—animal 1st/aldehyde 2nd in intensity
    •EDP—same as EDT but louder
    •Eau Sensuelle—powdery animalic
    •current extrait—more of the EDP vibe
    •vintage extrait—aldehydes are HUGE! Classic "perfumy" smell, ketonic

Later that evening:
    I blind sniff the cotton balls that I carefully Ziploc®-ed away, setting them aside in order to identify later.
    Here's what happened, posted in the order sniffed:
    1. Refreshing and rosy—that was Eau Premiere
    2. slight chill in opening, rosy and animal—current extrait
    3. good balance of chill beginning followed by animalic warmth—EDP
    4. classic. depth. cumin — favorite—1950s Of. Course!
    5. Grren, peppery. "Silk scarf" —Eau Sensuelle
    6. slightly rotten rose/jasmine, 2nd favorite—EDT

So, there you have it. My Chanel N° 5 experience. This is the mother of those bad girls I so love. Don't feel the need to add this to my wardrobe, if that's not too heretical. My advice is, go vintage or go home.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

jujy, I loved your process of testing this group! I would have never thought of using cotton balls and baggies.
    And you took the words right out of my mouth in your conclusion "go vintage or go home"! It just proves my point about the greatness of vintage frags. They were made with much better quality ingredients back then than today and weren't forced to use inferior materials or excessive synthetics as today.
    Great Review!

southerngardens

Interesting, to my nose the current extrait is the cleanest and crispest. The vintage is also clean and crisp, but, as pointed out, has rich jasmine and a touch of civet that make it more complex.

cacio

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    jujy, I loved your process of testing this group! I would have never thought of using cotton balls and baggies.
    And you took the words right out of my mouth in your conclusion "go vintage or go home"! It just proves my point about the greatness of vintage frags. They were made with much better quality ingredients back then than today and weren't forced to use inferior materials or excessive synthetics as today.
    Great Review!

southerngardens
    I think tastes as well as ingredients changed. In the absence of civet, ambergris, and now, with oakmoss and jasmine being threatened, it is a challenge to perfumers to find IFRA-approved dirt. First, they have to want to, and want to be trend-setters rather than followers. Cumin, perhaps? As I explore the more outré brands such as ELdO, I hope to find some trend-setting dirt. Will report back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Interesting, to my nose the current extrait is the cleanest and crispest. The vintage is also clean and crisp, but, as pointed out, has rich jasmine and a touch of civet that make it more complex.

cacio

cacio, I think my nose has some catching up to do to grasp the fine distinctions amongst the modern N° 5s. otoh, N° 22 made me want to jump up and cheer. My handwritten note from my bedside journal reads, "Yes! much > than N° 5 coriander note seals the deal." That was coriander, wasn't it? Perfumed Lady, did you predict my preference for N° 22?

Oh, my goodness! So many interesting thoughts since I've last popped in!

First, yes juj, I had my hunches about you and 22! I can't say I was 100% certain you'd like it better than 5 but I did wonder. Mainly because of Antilope: I see similarities between it and 5 but Antilope is much heavier on those animalics that I know make you swoon. I thought you'd have fun with the 5s but probably not love any enough to own. Being well-stocked on Antilope, I just couldn't see you "needing" any 5. I know Antilope can scratch that itch better for you! And no, nothing is heretical here! We love what we love and there is simply no sense in spending money on perfumes that don't click with us, no matter how well-respected or historical they may be. These things are not to be forced!

No.22 on the other hand, is so very different, even though it was constructed much the same as 5. Thought you'd like the sweet, woody incense vibe there. And the sparkle! That EDC stays vibrant and fizzy on this skin through its entire progression. I don't believe I've seen coriander "officially" listed as a note but we all know that means nothing. I agree that there's a brightness there that absolutely could be coriander. Still some vintage 22 out there to be had should you decide you need some! And maybe try the new Exclusifs version sometime just for giggles; I do think it's still very good. But your nose will find the woods in the vintage far superior like mine does, I believe.

About vintages- I do agree they are more often than not the only way to really get to know the classics. But then there are classics that I prefer to wear in the current versions for my mundane daily activities. Jujy's second favorite No.5, the current EDT, is actually one of my go-tos. I find it easy to wear and conducive to gettin' things done. Up until last year, the reformulated Ivoire de Balmain was nearly indistinguishable from the original to some of us here. So, there have been some darned good reformulations. They are just few and far between. Far more of my early loves are ruined or just gone for good. I was able to stick with my Shalimar from the 80's all the way up to this latest reform in the Jagger bottle. Many people still love this new version, though. For me, some reformulations are just fine; many more I never want to sniff again. In many cases, I think discontinuation is a better option. I'd never want to smell a re-done Antilope for instance; it was already timeless to begin with. If you love a classic, it's definitely worthwhile to explore all the vintage you can get your hands on. But it's perfectly ok to not like them better for daily use. Vintage is its own separate perfume rabbit hole. The main thing is that designer or niche, vintage or new-our own noses must be the ones to decide what's for us. I have a few scents in both vintage and modern and when the modern is still good, this is the arrangement I like best. This way, the current can be worn freely but I always have my vintage for special times, or times when I just want to sniff the artistry.

Also, I agree, cumin is one modern answer to "how to dirty this thing up?" Have worn MFK's Lumiere Noire a lot this past winter, which features cumin. Have found it very satisfying in the same way that perfumes used to do it for me back in the 80's. Really adds the depth that so many modern perfumes lack; will explore this note more. Yes, there is still some dirt to be found in the niche world-of course, for a price!

That was a brilliant way to explore the No.5's jujy! I love the baggie idea, this is new to me. Still have the one with the cotton ball of your Sarrasins and it still smells divine! I may just do this myself with all the No.5s. I think it would be a great way to sniff out the differences after allowing them to concentrate the scent within the baggie. Bet I'll find something new myself this way.

And one last thing for now: I did know you'd love the vintage L'Interdit! Plush and animalic but I thought different enough from all of your collection to really grab your nose! Yes, I nailed that one!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 11th March 2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    All right then, here's the N° 5 Report:

Well, quelle f'n surprise, I loved the vintage 1950s extrait and found the others, while charming, not nearly as distinguishable form one another as they were as a group from the grand dame I favor.

...Later that evening:
    I blind sniff the cotton balls that I carefully Ziploc®-ed away, setting them aside in order to identify later.
    Here's what happened, posted in the order sniffed:
    1. Refreshing and rosy—that was Eau Premiere
    2. slight chill in opening, rosy and animal—current extrait
    3. good balance of chill beginning followed by animalic warmth—EDP
    4. classic. depth. cumin — favorite—1950s Of. Course!
    5. Grren, peppery. "Silk scarf" —Eau Sensuelle
    6. slightly rotten rose/jasmine, 2nd favorite—EDT

So, there you have it. My Chanel N° 5 experience. This is the mother of those bad girls I so love. Don't feel the need to add this to my wardrobe, if that's not too heretical. My advice is, go vintage or go home.
    Jujy, I just knew you'd have some great input on the No 5 samples!! I am so craving that 1950's extrait , (just sublime), but the edt is probably a more realistic quest for me. So funny that I've never been a lover of vintage, but my favorites of the pass are your vintage Antilope & this extrait. Oh no... I think I'm heading in a dangerous direction.

queen of the universe

Hi, Genie Jeanie, today I noticed that Guerlain Liu has the same drydown as my vintage Antilope, as well as My Sin, Miss Dior, and a few other oldies. I'm assuming this is the current Liu, from the Les Parisiennes collection. Not a bargain, but none of the ebay craziness, either.

Some other thoughts from my notes, most scribbled bedside:
    Knize Two: starts with aldehydes and temperate spring flowers (muguet? lilac?) then vetiver and musk. Possible unisex.
    Le Labo Aldehyde 44: makes me think of taffeta with lovely floral notes
    FM Iris Poudre: polite floralfollowed by aldehydes, adding sparkle to usually earthy iris.
    EL Pleasures Intense: The menthol-ish aspect of tuberose dominates—mostly floral/fresh, don't get the aldehydes.
    Amouage Gold Woman: This has the appeal of old-school fragrances while note imitating them, the difference being a fruity/floral note, possibly osmanthus?
    ELdO Sex Pistols: flowers and paregoric
    L'âme Soeur: childhood memories and baby powder

later, I did a side by side of my sample of Iris Ganache and Iris Poudre. Here's some side by side contrasts, in the format:
    Iris Ganache/Iris Poudre
    old/new
    indoor/outdoor
    sweet/astringent
    "ruffly"/minimalist
    velvet/silk
    voluptuous/suave austerity
    overdone/abstemious
    decadent/enlightened

My note says, "Today, at least, I am preferring the Malle." Of course, on any given day, that could change!

Most of the remaining, Nocturnes, Rive Gauche, Climat, and of course, thevintage Antilope I either have or have sampled, anddon't feel like revisiting just now. I'm all described out! With your permission, I'll stop here.

There's plenty left to pass on—any takers?

(((Genie)))!!! I'm so happy to see you! I've missed you! Expect a PM from me before the week is out; have been wanting to chatter at you!

Excellent sniffing, jujy! I love your thought process during your note taking! Yes, of course you may consider yourself finished! I knew you'd know a lot of these already.

Thank you for offering to send to another sampler! I do have someone in mind who would have liked to join us originally: a wonderful gal called heavenscent1. If no one has grabbed your kind offer, I will check to find out if she's still interested. That's great we have some leftovers! I was worried we'd run short.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 13th March 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Hi, Genie Jeanie, today I noticed that Guerlain Liu has the same drydown as my vintage Antilope, as well as My Sin, Miss Dior, and a few other oldies. I'm assuming this is the current Liu, from the Les Parisiennes collection. Not a bargain, but none of the ebay craziness, either.

Some other thoughts from my notes, most scribbled bedside:
    Knize Two: starts with aldehydes and temperate spring flowers (muguet? lilac?) then vetiver and musk. Possible unisex.
    Le Labo Aldehyde 44: makes me think of taffeta with lovely floral notes
    FM Iris Poudre: polite floralfollowed by aldehydes, adding sparkle to usually earthy iris.
    EL Pleasures Intense: The menthol-ish aspect of tuberose dominates—mostly floral/fresh, don't get the aldehydes.
    Amouage Gold Woman: This has the appeal of old-school fragrances while note imitating them, the difference being a fruity/floral note, possibly osmanthus?
    ELdO Sex Pistols: flowers and paregoric
    L'âme Soeur: childhood memories and baby powder

later, I did a side by side of my sample of Iris Ganache and Iris Poudre. Here's some side by side contrasts, in the format:
    Iris Ganache/Iris Poudre
    old/new
    indoor/outdoor
    sweet/astringent
    "ruffly"/minimalist
    velvet/silk
    voluptuous/suave austerity
    overdone/abstemious
    decadent/enlightened

My note says, "Today, at least, I am preferring the Malle." Of course, on any given day, that could change!

Most of the remaining, Nocturnes, Rive Gauche, Climat, and of course, thevintage Antilope I either have or have sampled, anddon't feel like revisiting just now. I'm all described out! With your permission, I'll stop here.

There's plenty left to pass on—any takers?
    Jujy, that was FANTASTIC. I loved reading your notes and especially the side-by-side iris contrast, very clever. You sent me to the dictionary with "paregoric" and made me smile with your L'ame Soeur description.
    Despite your stern vintage challenge (OK, I'm packing my bags and going home right now), I was pleased to find that we shared some similar impressions and appreciation for the modern aldehydes (Hello, Le Labo).

It's not all rainbows and bluebirds, though...L'Interdit?? How can two human noses smell something so differently? I'd like to sniff it on you and see what got lost in skin translation on me. Would that be weird?

queen of the universe

Well, Schilling, I do have relatives in Chicago, which raises that to a non-rhetorical question (;

Most of my older aldehydics are minis, so I am loth to assemble a sample pass from them, even as I am tempted to assemble say my top4 or 5 into a "These are a Few of my Favorite Things" themed pass.

Using this pass as a frame of reference, you will find what I love in the drydown of Liu and the vintage Interdit—oh, and of course the vintage Antilope which I contributed. It's mossy, ambery, "lotiony", and a little anisic, with a dose of what some call dirt, and I have come to think of as "body warmth", usually a civet note, whether natural, synthetic, or some stand-in like cumin (my own hypothesis. Noses being what they are, do you recall a similarity amongst those three? In my own collection, I would add Myrurgia Maja (old formulation), vint Miss Dior, and the vint Infini I just acquired. In the meantime I await my ebay purchase of vintage Chamade EdC, sealed in a disc bottle with glass stopper, upon which I will most certainly report. If it's good, being a generous quantity, I will be happy to pass that babe around!

And I live right between you two, and I know our BN Mommy Quarry is up for Chicago! Yes, let's all go watch Schilling sniff jujy! Then maybe go find some perfumes to sniff!

Jujy, I keep going back to your thoughts on Gold. This one was new to me, too and have been working with my sample from 30R as the pass progressed. I've been getting a tea-like vibe with the florals but wasn't sure why. Osmanthus could be the answer; tomorrow I'll wear it again and see if I can finally pin my thoughts down. It really is beautiful, or was at least. Our sample is pre-reformulation.

Congrats on the Chamade, I just love the look of the disc bottles! Think they're so cool looking. Have only worn current EDP on skin myself. Some time ago, cacio sent me a vial labeled with a question mark. At first, I thought he was messing with me (now, would our sweet guy do that?!), a test maybe. Turned out, he was hoping I knew what it was! It feels so familiar though blurred a bit by age but my mind keeps going back to vintage Chamade. Maybe not the answer but a clue to the identity of the mystery vial. Still have some of the question mark sample so yes, I'm very curious about your lovely find, jujy. I bet cacio will be interested to hear about it as well.

Have not heard back from heavenscent1, so I'll put the call out one last time: anyone else like to join us? Please contact either jujy or me if you'd like the aldehydes, we'd be happy to have another sampler!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 17th March 2013 at 04:23 PM.

queen of the universe

My osmanthus education came via others commenting on Sarrasins, as I tried to pin down it's plummy/apricotish heart note that sweetened up the jasmine.

- - - Updated - - -

re: Guerlain disc flacon: a cursory search suggests this style, which debuted in 1937, continued into the 80s and not later, so my Chamade would be of a certain vintage (: Despite being sealed there is about 1/5 to1/4 evaporated. I have I feeling I will like it no matter what state it is in.

Basenotes Institution

I sampled Le Parfum de Therese by Frederic Malle last night and I'm pretty sure it's chock-full of aldehydes. Would anyone else agree?

-- Eckhart Tolle