Code of Conduct

Default Gucci PH II Tea Note

Does anyone have an issue with the tea in GPH2 where it is so strong it just overpowers everything in this scent from top to bottom? I tried it again today and it comes across as "pickle juice." to my nose its so strong. I've never smelled anything like it in any other scent. Just wondering if its me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Gucci PH II Tea Note

Good to go here!

I don't get a pickle juice vibe from it at all. The tea is very strong with it, but in a very nice way, IMO. One of my favorite fragrances.

It might be you. It might be your sample/bottle (gone bad?). try it again in a few weeks and see if you get the same vibe from it.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Banned
    Blog Entries

i love the tea note. if anything, it's the bergamot note that may be a LITTLE too strong.

Love the tea note as well in this but I don't get any pickle juice vibe from it.

Guess I'm screwed up then..lol. Not the first time.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

No problem here.

I don't own it anymore but when I had it, I never got pickle juice. Just a nice, warm, soft tea scent.

Speaking of tea, Hey Jack a lot of people are starting to get your one of your favorites...Murdock. Mines should be in a few days. Waiting for Bright Leaf to come in.

I think it's totally dominated by the bergamot and there isn't much else that comes through but it never goes like pickles on me (unlike some scents). I think it's warm and smooth really.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Speaking of tea, Hey Jack a lot of people are starting to get your one of your favorites...Murdock. Mines should be in a few days. Waiting for Bright Leaf to come in.
    I have not worn the Gucci since getting Murdocks Black Tea, really good tea note that mixes well with the spicy notes and the tad of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Just a nice, warm, soft tea scent.
    Likewise!
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have not worn the Gucci since getting Murdocks Black Tea, really good tea note that mixes well with the spicy notes and the tad of leather.
    I did a wrist sample of Murdocks black tea. Not bad, but I prefer the brighter Gucci phII.

Smells sweet and smooth to me, I get a slight tobacco note from it

Sounds like your bottle is off, but speaking of a pickle note, I remember my first couple of tries with L'Artisan's Dzongkha made me think of dill pickle. I've gotten over it now though, as my appreciation for the incense note has developed, but it's still not my favorite juice.

Tea note is overpowering only if you overspray. I use just 2 sprays on neck (or 1 chest, 1 neck) and then everything is balanced just fine.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I had the "pickle juice" experience with my bottle too

My bottle started off fine and then after a year and half it started to smell like it. It had to have turned

Anything BUT strong to me. Tea for two is a stronger, in my opinion better & more mature version of this.

Banned
    Blog Entries

pickle juice? whaaat????

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I think it's totally dominated by the bergamot and there isn't much else that comes through but it never goes like pickles on me (unlike some scents). I think it's warm and smooth really.
    Hhhmmmmmm... that's an interesting distinction. ToughCool, does it smell like pickles on your skin, or does it smell like pickles, period, meaning even on paper? I wonder what could be causing that.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

GPHII is an amazing fragrance to me. No pickle juice vibe at all. Just a beautiful fragrance. Glad I finally purchased a bottle.

It's not just you, it did smell slightly vinegary when I tried it in store a few weeks ago. Not unpleasant but certainly not something I would want to spray on myself and smell of all day.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Hhhmmmmmm... that's an interesting distinction. ToughCool, does it smell like pickles on your skin, or does it smell like pickles, period, meaning even on paper? I wonder what could be causing that.
    On skin!What is funny is that I don't completely dislike this scent. I just have that tea note...and it has to be it because the other notes are ones I enjoy in other scents. I know it is suppised to be black team but it comes across as sour..pickle juice...every bottle I've tried.
    --Ben Hogan

I typically don't like tea in frags, but luv the GPHII. I don't get pickle juice, not even a lil' bit; you sure you're not thinkin' Riverside Drive, lolz? That stuff is pickle juice.

I have GPH2, but don't wear it often as it's not really a favorite of mine either. I like the concept and have tried to see if it grows on me, but I just don't like the odd violet leaf and green top notes in this one. I love the black tea, cinnamon, and tobacco, but to me, the violet leaf and bergamot (and to some extent the pimento) clashes with the other notes. Why do perfumers feel they have to put polarizing, opposite type notes in fragrances that stick out. This one would've been 100 percent better as a pure linear black tea, cinnamon, tobacco and musk scent without the juxtaposing/clashing bright green & citrus notes.

Damn, this thread is making me want to pick up this fragrance again! Gucci PHII was one of my favorite fragrances when I first started getting in to fragrances.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I do get the vinegar note but the tea is so strong that it really smooths it out for me. Excellent scent, so diverse!
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

No pickle. Just a great, versatile fragrance.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense